Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:36:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: automated trading  (Read 3088 times)
gewure (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

[#][#][#]

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 03:11:18 AM

..just to disclose some information: me and some friends are currently working on a fully automated trading system.
we are at the moment evaluating proper indicators and setting up a environment to backtest the system.

it will probably not make use of 'complicated' indicators and stick to the common ones: MACD, SMA, EMA, Volatility

..what indicators do you trust in the most?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 03:12:06 AM

starfish..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 03:14:54 AM

Fear. Grin (Capitulation)
Finny

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 03:19:17 AM

When I took Java, I made a program that emulated a magic 8 ball. Do you want me to PM you the code?
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 03:25:18 AM

When I took Java, I made a program that emulated a magic 8 ball. Do you want me to PM you the code?

Here's some Ruby to do that:

class Array
  def random_element
    self[rand(self.length)]
  end
end

['Yes', 'No', 'Maybe So', 'Ask again'].random_element

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
waveaddict

Activity: 532

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 03:29:25 AM

its not going to work bud...these indicators are great and all until they fail, and when they fail, they will kill your account. Automated trading only works if you possess expensive and complicated algorithms which Goldman Sachs (as an example) had at one point along with having loads of money to actually manipulate the market. The trick to using all of these indicators is blending them...not taking any one by themselves. All those commercials you see on TV about these perfect trading systems that do the work for you are a load of crap. If everyone could do and afford it then everyone would be rich...think about it.

now join my charting service already  Wink

..just to disclose some information: me and some friends are currently working on a fully automated trading system.
we are at the moment evaluating proper indicators and setting up a environment to backtest the system.

it will probably not make use of 'complicated' indicators and stick to the common ones: MACD, SMA, EMA, Volatility

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 03:32:23 AM

its not going to work bud...these indicators are great and all until they fail, and when they fail, they will kill your account. Automated trading only works if you possess expensive and complicated algorithms which Goldman Sachs (as an example) had at one point along with having loads of money to actually manipulate the market. The trick to using all of these indicators is blending them...not taking any one by themselves. All those commercials you see on TV about these perfect trading systems that do the work for you are a load of crap. If everyone could do and afford it then everyone would be rich...think about it.

now join my charting service already  Wink

Trend following (MA crossovers) could work on a small scale.

Edit: But only until Bitcoin becomes less volatile.  Crossovers keep you on the correct side of the trend, and Bitcoin has big trends.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
stochastic

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 03:46:35 AM

If you are going to go the Technical Indicator route then you should have a momentum indicator to catch when the market is trending and also have a oscillator so that you can see reversals.  Back test your trading strategy with a random trading behavior strategy.  If your strategy is not statistically better than the random trading strategy then find a better combination.  Most importantly for your trading system is to have proper money management.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 04:22:00 AM

Chart patterns

Your system cant do them?
Well, you could still go whith Goomboos EMAs (they seem to work out pretty well), RSI and PSAR

I personally discarded the MACD in favor of goomboos EMAs, because they tend to generate more recent indicators.
gewure (OP)

[#][#][#]

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 04:24:03 AM

there are currently 2 prototypes in developement, one in python, one in c#.

indeed we also have own idead on indicators. basically stuff we can't trade cause we are not fast enough, asleep or emotions made us do rather irational trades instead.

waveaddict, yes you are right. fully automated trading systems are highly complicated, we are aware of this fact. but we are all also highly interested, have the base knowledge required to start such a project and are just about to launch it!

if everything fails after all at least everybody gained a lot of experience

greets
gewure (OP)

[#][#][#]

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 04:30:47 AM

Chart patterns

Your system cant do them?
Well, you could still go whith Goomboos EMAs (they seem to work out pretty well), RSI and PSAR

I personally discarded the MACD in favor of goomboos EMAs, because they tend to generate more recent indicators.

MACD is always a little late

i don't know much about chart patterns, but i recently read about them and will definetelly try to do an approach of implementing them.
but first we need to have a infrastructure with GUI and data-interface and so..

rather than implementing fixed patterns, we think of a way to do automatized future calculation on expected shape of patterns and trade with regard on this information. not clear yet, but there will be many ways of approaching a system that trades arbitrarys in expected price movement.

it will basically be trend-driven. if it catches a trend, it will stick do it until it ends and another trend is caught.

M4v3R

Activity: 607

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 09:08:35 AM

RSI is a good indicator if used right.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 09:57:28 AM

RSI is a good indicator if used right.

Please elaborate

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
M4v3R

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 10:32:19 AM
Last edit: February 17, 2012, 11:46:35 AM by M4v3R

When the daily hourly (this is true for daily also, but the charts are in hourly intervals) RSI touches/passes through 30/70 levels, it usually means:
- the market is pretty certain on a direction of there the price will go, so we have an uptrend/downtrend
- after this first touch with 30/70 there will be a spike in opposite direction of the prevailing trend
- after this spike (if it occurs), the trend will resume and sometimes go even higher/lower than before
- and finally, when RSI exits 0-40 / 60-100 range, a reversal is likely

Study the chart above to see these correlations. Using RSI alone would be dangerous probably, but in conjunction with other indicators (like the EMA and MACD on the chart) it can be quite useful.

About current market situation:  These indicators tell me that there will be another dip down. RSI has nearly touched 30 once, but it didn't pass through. MACD is on negative and EMA is going down with current price staying below it.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 10:55:43 AM

When the daily RSI touches/passes through 30/70 levels, it usually means:
- the market is pretty certain on a direction of there the price will go, so we have an uptrend/downtrend
- after this first touch with 30/70 there will be a spike in opposite direction of the prevailing trend
- after this spike (if it occurs), the trend will resume and sometimes go even higher/lower than before

Study the chart above to see these correlations. Using RSI alone would be dangerous probably, but in conjunction with other indicators (like the EMA and MACD on the chart) it can be quite useful.

About current market situation:  These indicators tell me that there will be another dip down. RSI has nearly touched 30 once, but it didn't pass through. MACD is on negative and EMA is going down with current price staying below it.

Thanks!  When I profit, I'll compensate you for this.  Disclaimer:  It won't be much.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
stochastic

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 11:08:55 AM

Since you are using MtGox you should take advantage of their volume data.  Use the Money Flow Index (MFI).  It is like the RSI, but instead of using price it uses volume in the equation.

Whatever momentum oscillator you use (RSI, MFI) you should not just do the basic overbought/oversold (above 70/below 30) indicators.  You should use to to detect divergence in the price.  So if the price of bitcoins hits a new high but the RSI or MFI has a lower high than in the past then that is a bearish divergence.  Price will likely go down.  If the price of bitcoins hits a new low but the RSI or MFI has a higher lower then that is a bullish divergence and the price will likely diverge upward.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
M4v3R

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 11:35:35 AM

I know about MFI, but after investigating/backtracking it I found it has worse performance than RSI on Bitcoin - it generates more false signals.
stochastic

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 11:38:43 AM
Last edit: February 17, 2012, 11:49:47 AM by stochastic

I know about MFI, but after investigating/backtracking it I found it has worse performance than RSI on Bitcoin - it generates more false signals.

I hope OP does backtesting.  I had nice backtesting results using the MFI and another indicator, but I found some that gave better results.

Reading for the OP
Technical Analysis from A to Z

sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 02:55:16 PM

When the daily hourly (this is true for daily also, but the charts are in hourly intervals) RSI touches/passes through 30/70 levels, it usually means:

About current market situation:  These indicators tell me that there will be another dip down. RSI has nearly touched 30 once, but it didn't pass through. MACD is on negative and EMA is going down with current price staying below it.

Call me old fashioned but thats far too formulaic. RSI just tells you if, relative to the period you are considering - hourly, daily etc if there have been more people buying or selling than before. This gives you an idea if a market os overbought, or over sold. It doesn't tell you the market is definitely going to reverse, because markets are irrational and can carry on going crazy in either direction.

The decision to buy or sell comes from considering a variety of factors. To me RSI just defines buying or selling opportunities (buy when its oversold, sell when its overbought) the decision as to whether to take a given opportunity must still be made. If you do trade, you then need to have the balls (and int the case of bitcoinica, the leverage) to see the trade through.

The tricky part comes when RSI moves but price doesn't. You then face the difficult decision of whether to cut your losses, because if you bought at RSI <30 and you are subsequently sat on a loss at RSI >70 (and the longer the period, the stronger the potential reversion to the mean) you are probably going to want to take that loss, for fear of incurring a bigger one. Thats hard, because nobody likes crystallising losses.

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
gewure (OP)

[#][#][#]

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 05:06:50 PM

I hope OP does backtesting.  I had nice backtesting results using the MFI and another indicator, but I found some that gave better results.

Reading for the OP
Technical Analysis from A to Z

backtesting a.. let me call it a 'shitload' of indicator-combinations is our main goal besides automated trading without worries while we sleep Wink
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: