Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:52:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Mining Rig  (Read 2147 times)
krel (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 03:28:57 PM

Hello i am happy to be here on the forum, cant wait to get startet Tongue

I just startet bitcoin mining. Now that we have tried it out we are going to build a bigger rig.
I was hoping somebody could help me put together the best mining rig whit most hashrate for the money we are spending
around 5000$

I want to do it whitout chassis, i got a room so i will put the motherboards on a table i think, and
cool it whit a A/C

I need:

motherborad's
CPU's
GPU's
RAM
Power suplies

Other sugestions are welcome?

And last what program is best to use to run it all from one monitor and pc?

Hope people wanna help out kinde Regards Krel.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Liberate

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Freedom is Free

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 04:52:00 PM

You can find good example rigs and a comparison of hardware here:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_rig
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Will code for coins, python c#, php(+html, jss, sql) scripts can also pen testing(not a skid) PM me https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=71889.msg813212#msg813212

BTC: 1X8Uwr6vxtuudvxgPv9SqP2c6omWUC3qn
LTC: LaZ8A9YTHbNiFuhRFdCt7KNRuU2XFPXgfA
Glasswalker

Activity: 407
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2012, 01:41:38 AM

Honestly, your best bet for longterm profitability if you have $5000 to spend, is to do FPGAs. Your hashrate won't be quite as high as with GPUs, but it could improve with newer bitstreams. And FPGAs will have FAR less electricity costs, which makes them more profitable in the long run (and less sensitive to drops in btc cost, or jumps in difficulty)

Also if you're looking at investing $5000 into mining, keep an eye on this forum (and the economy/services forum) and on my account if you like, as I'll be announcing a new venture in the next 24 hours for sure, which will be an interesting opportunity (if it aligns with your goals of course).

Hope that helps.

BattleDrome: Blockchain based Gladiator Combat for fun and profit!
http://www.battledrome.io/
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 01:47:42 AM

Honestly, your best bet for longterm profitability if you have $5000 to spend, is to do FPGAs. Your hashrate won't be quite as high as with GPUs, but it could improve with newer bitstreams. And FPGAs will have FAR less electricity costs, which makes them more profitable in the long run (and less sensitive to drops in btc cost, or jumps in difficulty)

Also if you're looking at investing $5000 into mining, keep an eye on this forum (and the economy/services forum) and on my account if you like, as I'll be announcing a new venture in the next 24 hours for sure, which will be an interesting opportunity (if it aligns with your goals of course).

Hope that helps.

Disagree with this.  Your GPU rigs will have much better resale value.  Mine for 6-12 months, recoup your hardware investment, sell your rigs for 50-70% of what you paid for them, then scale the whole thing up.  Repeat process so long as it's profitable.
Glasswalker

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2012, 02:55:52 AM

According to my calculations, on large scale setups, FPGAs are more profitable over a 10 month period than GPUs are.

But that math was based on very large scale operations, requiring professional cooling/power and so on (100GHash/s +)

I'll grant you that the GPU *may* have better resale ability, but that's assuming FPGA mining doesn't take off and provide a demand for secondhand FPGA cards. And that the GPU improvements on the gaming market aren't devaluing your hardware too fast.

I think the big difference comes from the perception many miners convince themselves of, which is that the space/cooling/power is a minimal overall impact with GPUs, but when your talking about a 15-20x improvement in power consumption (and then the power consumption of cooling as well) it makes a big difference.

A (very rough numbers) example:
a dual 5830 mining rig can be purchased for about $400 if you're careful. And it will produce 600MHash/s easily.
At current difficulties that produces around 0.5BTC per day.
And at a rough average over the past several months of $5 per BTC that earns you roughly $75 per 30 day period.
Current cost of electricity (at least where I am) is around $0.10 per KWh (but varies depending on time of use, and usage volume, and who your supplier is, but it averages around $0.10).
So that 5830 rig consumes around 500W Measured at the wall. That means that in 30 days, it will consume 360KWh of electricity. Costing $36. In addition it's generating heat, which requires cooling, costing additional electricity (but this doesn't become noticable with only a single rig, 5-10 rigs though, and you're paying for dedicated cooling solutions, adding to supporting hardware costs, and operational costs by as much as 50% - 100% of the electricity to run the unit, just to keep it cool).
But for the sake of easy comparison, let's ignore that for now (keeping it in the back of our mind). Let's just compare electricity as the ONLY operational cost of either unit to keep it simple.
So that means the total "profit" per 30 days, after operational costs is $39.

an FPGA purchased for $500 produces 400MHash/s
At current difficulties producing around 0.35BTC roughly per day.
That means at the same $5 per BTC, that's $52.50 per 30 days in mining income.
That FPGA consumes a mere 16W roughly (maybe 18 measured at the wall with transformer loss) so that would be a total consumption of around 13KWh of electricity in a 30 day period (basing off the higher 18W number). Which costs $1.30 per 30 days.
This results in a "profit" of $51.20 per 30 days.

That means the FPGA earns $11.20 more per month than the GPU rig. And that's not considering the fact it's also only generating heat with waste from 18W versus 500W, so that's another front of savings. AND FPGA is FAR smaller, and more dense than a GPU rig. You can scale 100 of them off a single host PC (and soon might be able to mine standalone with them). Reducing supporting infrastructure costs further.

I realize these are very rough calcs, I have done them in far more detail making a large scale business case.
And that said if anyone sees any flaws in my reasoning I'd be glad to hear them, and discuss your thoughts.

Also to consider. When the BTC payout per block drops to 25 (near the end of this year I believe) that will have an unknown impact on the economics of mining. The theory is it will stabilize. But it may make things tight. And those mining with FPGAs have a thicker operational margin to work with.

Anyway, just my thoughts, not trying to pressure anyone into anything, GPUs have their benefits for sure (and their application in the right type of mining op) but I'm just trying to provide information that I hope will be helpful Wink

Hope some of it helps!

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 03:08:01 AM

^  Nice, and well thought out.  But, on the flip side, a few other points to consider...

1)  Heat generated can lower the cost of heating your house. 
2)  While a dual-GPU rig for $400 may give you 600 m/hash, another $200-300 can potentially get you 1.2 G/hash.
3)  Warranties for GPU rigs are nice to have.
4)  Keep open the possibility that the value of Bitcoin could drop to practically zero given a major problem (e.g. Gox falls).  Then you're stuck with a shit-ton of FPGAs that nobody wants.

A lot to consider in either case.
Glasswalker

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2012, 03:44:30 AM

All very true. Though even though I live in canada, setting up your rigs in a way that it significantly helps your heating costs, actually costs more money up front. And you still have summer to consider. Unless you're hosting your rigs in a shipping container in the arctic (hmm... now there's an idea! lol).

Anyway, I agree though, several have successfully used their rigs to help with heating costs, and come up with creative ways to deal with the probklem.

And yes you're right, the dual GPU rig isn't the apex of the optimal mining rig setup. But even then, optimal mining rigs still in the end tend to cost about $0.75 per MHash to build (unless your scrounging used parts and so on). And FPGAs are at about $1.20 per MHash right now. (and as low as $0.80 - $0.90 if you buy a bunch at once). So once again, it really comes down to your individual circumstances, your goals, and your risk tolerance. FPGAs still have room to grow (better bitstreams, more efficient boards, more cost effective distribution, and so on). So that gap could close quickly in the near future Wink

I agree though, for raw throughput with a rapid startup curve, GPUs are the way to go. But if you're planning to get in for the long haul, and are planning very large scale clusters, I'm of the opinion that FPGAs are the way to go Wink

But of course just my 2 cents, and so on...

Smiley

(and thanks for the nice rebuttal, you made some very good points!)

joshv06

Activity: 991
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 03:50:38 AM

All very true. Though even though I live in canada, setting up your rigs in a way that it significantly helps your heating costs, actually costs more money up front. And you still have summer to consider. Unless you're hosting your rigs in a shipping container in the arctic (hmm... now there's an idea! lol).

Anyway, I agree though, several have successfully used their rigs to help with heating costs, and come up with creative ways to deal with the probklem.

And yes you're right, the dual GPU rig isn't the apex of the optimal mining rig setup. But even then, optimal mining rigs still in the end tend to cost about $0.75 per MHash to build (unless your scrounging used parts and so on). And FPGAs are at about $1.20 per MHash right now. (and as low as $0.80 - $0.90 if you buy a bunch at once). So once again, it really comes down to your individual circumstances, your goals, and your risk tolerance. FPGAs still have room to grow (better bitstreams, more efficient boards, more cost effective distribution, and so on). So that gap could close quickly in the near future Wink

I agree though, for raw throughput with a rapid startup curve, GPUs are the way to go. But if you're planning to get in for the long haul, and are planning very large scale clusters, I'm of the opinion that FPGAs are the way to go Wink

But of course just my 2 cents, and so on...

Smiley

(and thanks for the nice rebuttal, you made some very good points!)

+1

D A I L Y -  C R Y P T O  -  G I V E W A Y S
▬▬ ●●     Your source for daily free giveaways !    ●● ▬▬
DISCORD    -    TWITTER    -    WEBSITE
krel (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 07:07:37 PM

Thanks for the answers. I get the electricity for free so i dont really have to consider the cost of that.

I just need the most power for the value of my investment.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 07:58:40 PM

Thanks for the answers. I get the electricity for free so i dont really have to consider the cost of that.

I just need the most power for the value of my investment.

You get unlimited power for free? Because otherwise, the previous advice is still good.
check_status

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 01:46:32 AM
Last edit: February 20, 2012, 02:18:02 AM by check_status

The current GPU maximum per system is 8. You want to maximize this number.
If 5830's then 8 of them would be ideal. Develop solutions based on this ideal.
If you use 5970's, you can only place 4 cards per mother board.
Accessable motherboards have 4-5-6 PCI Express slots. More than 6 slots is rare, less than 4 slots not as valuable.

Edit: 120v vs 220v
@120v you will be limited to 2 mining systems per 20A breaker, draw dependent.
@220v is more efficient and draws less amperage per mining system.

FPGA's, though they have better energy efficiency now, still must contend with Open Source Software development on the 8 GPU barrier. If it is cracked, 18/20 PCIe backplanes will be king, improving the energy efficiency for GPU's.

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
waterboyserver

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 01:57:41 AM

Do not forget that efficiency is key to the system as that will also determine the cost of running the system over a 24 hour period continuously.  You can also control the amount of power consumed by each graphics card by reducing its voltage to the core and memory, which would be useful as well (memory not quite important for bitmining). You could use a bios flashing program to test out lower voltages, but doing so decreases the max attainable stable clock, electrical current will not be affected; thus wattage can be changed through voltage.
krel (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 08:34:06 AM

Yes unlimited power for free.

I think i will go whit GPU's instead of FPGA's i dont know that much about this, so i will stick to what i know. If anything goes rong i can atleast
try to sell them.

I cant really finde any motherboards there will do more than 4xPCI-E crossfire.

I was thinking of buying ASUS EAH5870/2DIS/1GD5/V2 or MSI R5870-PM2D1G (1 GB) for GPU's
And ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX AMD for motherboard.

If i look at all the charts i think i will get the most hashrate for the buck on this motherboard whit 4x GPU's ?

cant really deside on what CPU and RAM to go whit, and or if it should be Intel or AMD.
For PSU i will take Corsair Professional Series HX1050.

I think i can get 4 or 5 of these rigs for my money.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: