Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:20:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Are Physical Crytocurrencies losing its appeal to investors/collectors??
Yes - 16 (44.4%)
I don't know - 9 (25%)
No - 11 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Physical Crytocurrencies losing its appeal to investors/collectors?  (Read 2113 times)
wheresmycoin (OP)

Activity: 654
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 04:26:25 PM

With the new regulations, producers of Physical Crytocurrencies are not shipping out coins with digitally loaded btc/ltc.
it seems meaningless and pointless to receive empty Physical Crytocurrencies.
lealana are producing unloaded coins for the 5/10ltc which are supposed to be limited mintage, seems only the 25ltc and 1ltc series one are of collectible value now.
looks like Physical Crytocurrencies are losing its appeal to investors/collectors.

Is it just me or does anyone here feel the same as me?
Dajve

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 04:32:50 PM

It's not pointless. Just load them up yourself. Probably safer that way as well.
adamselene

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 04:42:02 PM

They only had more appeal in the beginning because of their novelty and the fact that BTC were cheap. The regs probably had some impact though.
Catmoonglow

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 04:52:53 PM

I realy dont' understand the queastion. Why would they loose it?

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

Come original.

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 06:10:05 PM

I never understood their appeal in the first place. Seemed silly paying overpriced coins. The money they were going for was silly, so I guess it was a good investment.
waldox

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 07:08:44 PM

i like  physical silver and gold
but its hard to use thats why fiat was invented
its hard to send physical silver and gold around the world
the world is very global now with plane travel, internet, phone calls etc
we do business/trade with global participants, so silver and gold will never be the commonly used currency again like in roman times

bitcoin is the new and improved fiat 2.0

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
wheresmycoin (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 12:16:40 AM

It's not pointless. Just load them up yourself. Probably safer that way as well.

safer that way, doesn't seem to have collector's value when its received unloaded.
wheresmycoin (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 12:23:44 AM

I realy dont' understand the queastion. Why would they loose it?

physical cryptocurrencies now are sold unloaded/empty, it has a feel of buying usual/silver coins instead of cryptocurrencies.
wheresmycoin (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 12:35:27 AM

I never understood their appeal in the first place. Seemed silly paying overpriced coins. The money they were going for was silly, so I guess it was a good investment.

its a good investment at the price its going for,
physical ones are more troublesome to sell/spend, so you always have btc/ltc which you will never sell.
it acts as a hedge in case you sold too early/cheaply.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 01:56:52 AM

I think this was more of a novelty or collectors item. They would make a really nice gift as well if anyone is thinking of getting me one.  Grin

Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 02:12:16 AM

When Mike Caldwell released the first Casascius coins in 2011, the idea was simply to prove a concept (tangible bitcoin), and provide another means to get people interested in bitcoin. They were intended to be given away, or carried around as conversation starters. I did both, and they worked very well. The coins I gave out as stocking stuffers got several family members interested in bitcoin, and for a year or two, I always had a Casascius coin in my wallet, ready to pull out when some gold-bug complained that you can't touch bitcoin.

Obviously Casascius coins are now rare collectors' items, especially since the FinCEN threats caused Mike to shut down.

To people complaining about the premiums on these coins: they are fascinating remnants of bitcoin's early history; both the original intent and why they are no longer produced are intimately tied to bitcoin's character. Such things tend to be valued by people; we are creatures of nostalgia and many of us have the collector gene. For comparison, look at the premiums on some gold coins that only had a mintage in the hundreds... They may be worth $1000 in gold value, but many of those coins can sell for 5 or 6 figures due to rarity value and/or historical significance. Calculate the premium percentage on those....sheesh.

Anyways, Mike produced beautiful coins, which helped me, at least, generate interest in bitcoin in the (relatively) early days. I hope, and expect, that their collector value will continue to be significant as time goes by.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 03:00:14 AM

The coins I have sold were meant for two reasons:

1. To help teach others about Bitcoin and Litecoin

2. As a collectible.

Personally I've found that coins that are loaded that you tuck away you generally stray away from trading with. Meaning you have stronger hands when it comes to holding on to your coins.

Perhaps people who make paper wallets can understand.

It's like the saying "Set it and forget it" ...only it's more like "Create it, tuck it away, and forget about it for years".

I still allow customers to fund their own coins before I ship them. I just do not fund the coins personally as I do not care to handle customer coins currently for that.

If you fund the coins prior to me shipping there are two things that come into play:

1. The holograms do not get marked with my laser "BUYER FUNDED".

2. You assume the risks that go along with shipping funded coins via USPS Registered Mail. Even though none of my packages have ever gone missing, it isn't impossible for that to happen.

Personally I would not want any coins I ordered to be funded by me then shipped to me, hence it isn't something I advocate, but will accommodate should a buyer want that.

Physical crypto currency (I believe) is more interesting that physical gold and silver bullion. It adds another dimension to it as well as the ability to get educated about crypto.

Just my 0.02 BTC

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 03:34:01 AM

2. As a collectible.

Personally I've found that coins that are loaded that you tuck away you generally stray away from trading with. Meaning you have stronger hands when it comes to holding on to your coins.

It's like the saying "Set it and forget it" ...only it's more like "Create it, tuck it away, and forget about it for years".

I still allow customers to fund their own coins before I ship them. I just do not fund the coins personally as I do not care to handle customer coins currently for that.

If you fund the coins prior to me shipping there are two things that come into play:

2. You assume the risks that go along with shipping funded coins via USPS Registered Mail. Even though none of my packages have ever gone missing, it isn't impossible for that to happen.

Personally I would not want any coins I ordered to be funded by me then shipped to me, hence it isn't something I advocate, but will accommodate should a buyer want that.

Physical crypto currency (I believe) is more interesting that physical gold and silver bullion. It adds another dimension to it as well as the ability to get educated about crypto.

Just my 0.02 BTC

Have you had any issues with any government agencies? These would make awesome Christmas gifts.

waldox

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2014, 07:45:42 AM

in india they make .1 btc and smaller denomination coins
i saw it in a video last year on bitcoins in india

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 08:06:05 AM

2. As a collectible.

Just my 0.02 BTC

Have you had any issues with any government agencies? These would make awesome Christmas gifts.

No. Feel free to purchase them for xmas gifts when the time comes around. Last year was pretty crazy during the month of December and into the months after.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

wheresmycoin (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 09:45:25 AM
Last edit: June 08, 2014, 09:59:30 AM by wheresmycoin

When Mike Caldwell released the first Casascius coins in 2011, the idea was simply to prove a concept (tangible bitcoin), and provide another means to get people interested in bitcoin. They were intended to be given away, or carried around as conversation starters. I did both, and they worked very well. The coins I gave out as stocking stuffers got several family members interested in bitcoin, and for a year or two, I always had a Casascius coin in my wallet, ready to pull out when some gold-bug complained that you can't touch bitcoin.

Obviously Casascius coins are now rare collectors' items, especially since the FinCEN threats caused Mike to shut down.

To people complaining about the premiums on these coins: they are fascinating remnants of bitcoin's early history; both the original intent and why they are no longer produced are intimately tied to bitcoin's character. Such things tend to be valued by people; we are creatures of nostalgia and many of us have the collector gene. For comparison, look at the premiums on some gold coins that only had a mintage in the hundreds... They may be worth $1000 in gold value, but many of those coins can sell for 5 or 6 figures due to rarity value and/or historical significance. Calculate the premium percentage on those....sheesh.

Anyways, Mike produced beautiful coins, which helped me, at least, generate interest in bitcoin in the (relatively) early days. I hope, and expect, that their collector value will continue to be significant as time goes by.

the 1btc error coin was going for 3X or more in 2013.
i used to have a 1btc to fiddle/play around with when they were cheaper, but stopped touching them ever since the last spike in price. Grin
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 09:52:03 AM

The problem is simple, people are asking entirely way too much. Some of the premiums are just crazy, especially if you believe that btc will hit 10K or more in the near future, which I do believe.

Let me give you an example.

Lets say your selling a 1btc coin and asking 5 btc. I have seen it already so I'll just use this number.

if btc hits 10K you'll need to find someone who's willing to pay you 40K on top of the face value when you go to sell it. That's crazy..
wheresmycoin (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 09:55:09 AM

2. As a collectible.

Just my 0.02 BTC

the 25ltc silver are out of production permanantly?
i'm thinking of getting a 25ltc.
wheresmycoin (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 09:58:33 AM

in india they make .1 btc and smaller denomination coins
i saw it in a video last year on bitcoins in india

think we'll see smaller and smaller demoninations, 1btc becoming rarer
wheresmycoin (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 10:03:36 AM

The problem is simple, people are asking entirely way too much. Some of the premiums are just crazy, especially if you believe that btc will hit 10K or more in the near future, which I do believe.

Let me give you an example.

Lets say your selling a 1btc coin and asking 5 btc. I have seen it already so I'll just use this number.

if btc hits 10K you'll need to find someone who's willing to pay you 40K on top of the face value when you go to sell it. That's crazy..

40k for 10k , 30k premium is huge.. lesser buyer would be able to afford that..
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: