Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:15:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I the only one that doesn't stand for the pledge and the national anthem?  (Read 3917 times)
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 10:06:05 PM

You aren't making sense.  What exactly are you proposing and where do the 10 year olds come in?
People around the world (10 or otherwise) work for lower wages. I suggest Americans should be able to do the same. If somebody wants to assemble product for less than 8 dollars an hour, they should be able to.

So you want Americans to start work a lot younger and to earn a lot less.

Well since you aren't allowed to own slaves anymore, I suppose its fair enough.  I presume you will have a "sound thrashing for sass" clause in your employment contract?
It will be worse once things collapse.

Ah the inevitable collapse.  Any minute now the whole system will come crashing down won't it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 10:08:09 PM

You aren't making sense.  What exactly are you proposing and where do the 10 year olds come in?
People around the world (10 or otherwise) work for lower wages. I suggest Americans should be able to do the same. If somebody wants to assemble product for less than 8 dollars an hour, they should be able to.

So you want Americans to start work a lot younger and to earn a lot less.

Well since you aren't allowed to own slaves anymore, I suppose its fair enough.  I presume you will have a "sound thrashing for sass" clause in your employment contract?
It will be worse once things collapse.

Ah the inevitable collapse.  Any minute now the whole system will come crashing down won't it?

In less than 10 years, we won't be able to pay the interest on our debt.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 10:09:12 PM

...snip...

By the way, I am not arguing for protectionism. Consumers need to learn to make the choices on their own. Perhaps the equalization will prove good for the world as a whole, but the once most powerful nations in the world will suffer for it. Or maybe it will bring everyone to the level of slave labor?

...snip...

Or maybe the entire premise of allowing unfettered competition gets rethought?  
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 10:11:39 PM

...snip...

America's debt is owed to Americans.  If you decide to inflate it away, it will go away and America will still be a fine rich country. 

Or do you imagine millions of angry grannies will overthrow the state and demand their money back? 
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 10:22:32 PM

This is directed to "Boss" and Matthew:

I understand both of your points quite well, but ultimately, I think "Boss" has a greater point, and even though I don't believe he stated it as such, here's how I look at it:

Simply put, nationalism is a step away from racism.  While the point about showing respect and not causing a scene simply to cause a scene is spot on, I think Matthew's analogy to a Chinese man bowing and the "Boss" failing to reciprocate the bow is inaccurate.  This is an example of one man showing respect to another man directly.  Standing for the Pledge is quite different.

Virtually every war in the history of mankind, and definitely all forms of oppression, are created out of a self-vs.-other paradigm.  Nationalism only reinforces that self-vs.-other paradigm and in my opinion, it's fucking stupid.

Now, I understand that it takes a very idyllic mindset (and a stubborn one) to cause the scene that the "Boss" did.  I'm guilty of this myself and I've done it on a number of occasions, albeit with declining frequency as I grow older.  But, the thing is we need people like "Boss" making these kinds of statements.  Experience will tame his stubbornness over time.  I'm still learning that while there are things about America I loathe, I also still really like myself.  Because I am a product of American society, I must be grateful to it -- ALL of it -- at the same time that I want to change it.
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 10:23:45 PM

...snip...

America's debt is owed to Americans.  If you decide to inflate it away, it will go away and America will still be a fine rich country. 

Or do you imagine millions of angry grannies will overthrow the state and demand their money back? 

America's debt is owed to a non-governmental agency called The Federal Reserve. They'll happily destroy the currency while they hold other assets.

The Americans? They'll be left with nothing.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 10:25:54 PM

...snip...

America's debt is owed to a non-governmental agency called The Federal Reserve. They'll happily destroy the currency while they hold other assets.

The Americans? They'll be left with nothing.

Amusing.  And when they have achieved their evil goals, will they fly back to Manchuria?
CleverMiner

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 11:06:00 PM

... but I don't start a thread about it to get attention.

Such an attention whore. Seriously, are you that desperate to be noticed and make a statement? Why don't you run for office then? I'm serious. Why are you the biggest non-active loser in the world who also happens to think he's got it all figured out? Do something with it for christ's sake. Prove it. Why are you wasting your time here on a forum preaching to people who think you're handicapped?
+1

Boss, Don't you know other places to publish your every thought ? Something like Twitter / FB ?

For the love of god,  Why are people even replying to this, ?

This has remotely nothing to do with bitcoin.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 11:34:30 PM

... but I don't start a thread about it to get attention.

Such an attention whore. Seriously, are you that desperate to be noticed and make a statement? Why don't you run for office then? I'm serious. Why are you the biggest non-active loser in the world who also happens to think he's got it all figured out? Do something with it for christ's sake. Prove it. Why are you wasting your time here on a forum preaching to people who think you're handicapped?
+1

Boss, Don't you know other places to publish your every thought ? Something like Twitter / FB ?

For the love of god,  Why are people even replying to this, ?

This has remotely nothing to do with bitcoin.

It's in Politics & Society.  Very on-topic for the subforum.
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 11:38:30 PM

This is directed to "Boss" and Matthew:

I understand both of your points quite well, but ultimately, I think "Boss" has a greater point, and even though I don't believe he stated it as such, here's how I look at it:

Simply put, nationalism is a step away from racism.  While the point about showing respect and not causing a scene simply to cause a scene is spot on, I think Matthew's analogy to a Chinese man bowing and the "Boss" failing to reciprocate the bow is inaccurate.  This is an example of one man showing respect to another man directly.  Standing for the Pledge is quite different.

Virtually every war in the history of mankind, and definitely all forms of oppression, are created out of a self-vs.-other paradigm.  Nationalism only reinforces that self-vs.-other paradigm and in my opinion, it's fucking stupid.

Now, I understand that it takes a very idyllic mindset (and a stubborn one) to cause the scene that the "Boss" did.  I'm guilty of this myself and I've done it on a number of occasions, albeit with declining frequency as I grow older.  But, the thing is we need people like "Boss" making these kinds of statements.  Experience will tame his stubbornness over time.  I'm still learning that while there are things about America I loathe, I also still really like myself.  Because I am a product of American society, I must be grateful to it -- ALL of it -- at the same time that I want to change it.

Very well stated. +1

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2012, 01:40:25 AM

A country is such a spook of an idea especially when an entity or culture can only genuinely represent so many people, let alone 350 million in the United States. Why stand for something so intangible? Why pay any regard to it? Why should I pledge allegiance to anything purportedly above myself?

I refused to stand for the national anthem at a hockey game today and I got nasty looks but isn't that what the United States is supposed to stand for; individual liberty?

When Jehovah Witnesses go to any event where it's customary to stand and place the right right hand over the heart, they do stand, but do not place their hand over their heart or recite the pledge or sign the anthem. Some may take that time to offer a silent prayer to Jehovah, but that is all.
Fizzgig

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 05:31:24 AM

Hawker will you even entertain the thought that subjugating children in third world countries is not worth the benefits we currently enjoy? I would argue we are worse off because violence is not the solution to socioeconomic problems.

Your reply will be so ridiculous I won't bother to stay up and read it, just stop spitting out propaganda and read a book. I have resigned to the fact that you must be a troll... or you just enjoy arguing for arguments sake.

Best Bitcoin supported browser game:
Minethings: Dig, Trade, and Fight your way to influence!
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 02:42:57 PM

I stand for the pledge. But if there were a rule saying I had to, I would sit with my back to the flag. This is what being an American is all about.  Smiley

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: