Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:55:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Automated nightly builds  (Read 9121 times)
Cdecker (OP)

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2010, 06:31:48 PM

I finally managed to get the openSuse Build Service (OBS) to build working nightly packages of bitcoind (the client without the wx GUI). openSuse and SLE will follow soon.

To install the Ubuntu packages add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
Code:
deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/cdecker/xUbuntu_10.04/ ./
Next update:
Code:
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install bitcoind
If you get a warning about not being able to verify the validity of the packages, just ignore them, I wasn't able to find the public key yet :-)

Then just create a config file ~/.bitcoin/bitcoin.conf to configure the RPC password:
Code:
rpcpassword=<yourpassword>

After this just start the daemon via
Code:
bitcoind
and control it using the JSON interface.

I'll be trying to create openSuse and SLE packages too, Debian would be possible too, but compiling wx, boost and libdb sounds a bit excessive to me, anyone interested in helping?

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2010, 04:43:13 PM

I'll be trying to create openSuse and SLE packages too, Debian would be possible too, but compiling wx, boost and libdb sounds a bit excessive to me, anyone interested in helping?

Nightly builds are a great idea; does the build service do an automatic svn update?  Anybody else willing to help get GUI-bitcoin building (or anybody know somebody on the wxWidgets team?)

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Cdecker (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2010, 05:03:21 PM

Actually the openSuse Build Service is more meant for packages that have to be reliably built for a multitude of systems and updated consistently across all of the distros, but adding a small cron job can pull SVN and push the changes to the Build Service, kicking off a recompile. I wouldn't abuse it though.

I think we should sooner or later add a continuous integration tool, to check code submissions against the (until now inexisting) unit tests. That would also be able to create nightly builds ^^

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
satoshi
Founder
qt

Activity: 364
Merit: 6722

View Profile
December 09, 2010, 06:28:45 PM

Thanks for setting this up Cdecker. 

Is there any chance of getting it to build the GUI version also?  If this is Ubuntu, if you get wxWidgets 2.9.0 it should just be a matter of following the steps in build-unix.txt exactly.  Is this an environment where you can build wxWidgets once and leave it there and just keep using it?
Cdecker (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2010, 12:16:48 AM

It should be possible, but since we're linking statically I'd rather have it as an intree version as to not give people the impression that we provide a fully functional wxWidgets build.

I haven't had a shot for some time, I might try again these holidays Cheesy

Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: