Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:11:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory Crowdfunding Finished! [UPDATE - *BETA*]  (Read 25471 times)
Herbert

Activity: 488
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 07:04:45 PM

Fuel'd!  Grin

www.bitcoinmonitor.net - Free payment notification via email, newsfeed, xpmm/jabber, url callback and full API access!
Send SMS with www.txt4coins.net! No registration, pay-per-use, full API access, bulk messages - All inclusive!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 07:18:51 PM

I didn't see any new donations to the project. Do you have any skin in the game?
I said that I had only just found out about it & looked forward to trying it out, that was very late last night my time - as yet I haven't tried it but freely offered my opinion on it's name as others have done which was obviously a waste of time - maybe as I hadn't donated anything as yet in the 15 minutes since I first saw it, I'm in no rush to try the wallet out & in even less of a rush to make any donations to it if at all now - congrats on probably bouncing me off the list of potential donators Undecided

You're going to let someone on a public forum who isn't involved with the project turn you off from the project? That's kind of a silly reaction if you don't mind me saying. Why not judge the project on it's merits instead of random posts on a public forum?

It was more the OP thanking him for being the thread bouncer that rubbed me up the wrong way, I felt that my participation was maybe unwelcome, btw I am not anti gun as such & I hope that came across in my original comment - I was just saying what I thought others of a non military background may make of the name, it's also no big deal to me what it's called anyway - if there exists a better name then that just helps the project to bring this up for discussion

I will certainly though check it out & also donate if I find it of use which I'm sure that I will, just atm I don't happen to need it so there's no rush - oops as writing my Jessie alarm for $4.90 just went off - perhaps I may need it sooner than I thought that I may

@cypherdoc ~ many thanks Smiley

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 07:22:17 PM

I found an old Dell Inspiron and put xubuntu on it.  It's kind of weird to starting it with "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libcryptopp.so python ArmoryQt.py" but it works.

I think I'm going to have to do something similar to get armory compiled in Lion.  I had no luck with the instructions on your site so far Sad  It was complaining about not being able to find libcryptopp and then about 64 bit something.  I'll have to try again and post the errors.  I saw someone having the same problem in IRC, but they never got it compiled either.

I'm about to try an offline transaction! Smiley

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 07:41:55 PM

It was more the OP thanking him for being the thread bouncer that rubbed me up the wrong way, I felt that my participation was maybe unwelcome, btw I am not anti gun as such & I hope that came across in my original comment - I was just saying what I thought others of a non military background may make of the name, it's also no big deal to me what it's called anyway - if there exists a better name then that just helps the project to bring this up for discussion

I will certainly though check it out & also donate if I find it of use which I'm sure that I will, just atm I don't happen to need it so there's no rush - oops as writing my Jessie alarm for $4.90 just went off - perhaps I may need it sooner than I thought that I may

Otoh,

You're absolutely right.  I was amused by the comment, without regards to who or why it was said.  It's comforting to me to see folks really sticking up for my project, even if it was inappropriate.  In this case, it was inappropriate -- I have no intention to create a hostile environment,  and I never wanted to suggest that people need to donate to participate.  Sometimes I'm a little tactless... 

I am very much interested in seeing discussion about the program, and understand how others are receiving it.  Feedback will help this project tremendously, completely separate from donations, and I do appreciate your comments.  I think it's a little late for me to re-brand the program.  The name was original "Bitcoin Armory" which didn't have quite the same "violent" connotation as an arbitrary "Armory."  By the time I changed the name to just "Armory" I was already desensitized to the underlying meaning of the word.  Assuming no legal troubles related to "The Armory", I expect I will just keep it and hope the same happens to everyone else.  Hindsight is 20/20, but there's worse situations to be in...

I hope you will forgive my tactlessness and consider spending some time with the program itself, and let me know what you think.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 08:46:48 PM

Otoh,

You're absolutely right.  I was amused by the comment, without regards to who or why it was said.  It's comforting to me to see folks really sticking up for my project, even if it was inappropriate.  In this case, it was inappropriate -- I have no intention to create a hostile environment,  and I never wanted to suggest that people need to donate to participate.  Sometimes I'm a little tactless...  

I am very much interested in seeing discussion about the program, and understand how others are receiving it.  Feedback will help this project tremendously, completely separate from donations, and I do appreciate your comments.  I think it's a little late for me to re-brand the program.  The name was original "Bitcoin Armory" which didn't have quite the same "violent" connotation as an arbitrary "Armory."  By the time I changed the name to just "Armory" I was already desensitized to the underlying meaning of the word.  Assuming no legal troubles related to "The Armory", I expect I will just keep it and hope the same happens to everyone else.  Hindsight is 20/20, but there's worse situations to be in...

I hope you will forgive my tactlessness and consider spending some time with the program itself, and let me know what you think.

many thanks for the explanation, understanding & apology which is completely accepted np - an offline cold storage for non geeks is so important imo for Bitcoin adaption in many fields, especially for the uber wealthy 1% of the 1% that the name, though maybe could be tweaked, won't actually affect at all the success of the project & if it succeeds then you can have different named flavors for different consumer demographics, ie for mine: The Secure Offline Newb Wallet which directs to Armory (Newb) login

I shall certainly check it out & give feedback, I'm about to be traveling so it won't be just right now most likely & you never know, perhaps the name will become more appropriate as the project develops, added wallet lasers that eliminate all malware (BTC wallet sniffers) on your comp bundled in  

re tactlessness, lol don't mention it - I'm black belt at that & 50% of my posting is under the influence I expect, most mornings I wake up & think OMG WTF may I have done last night  Lips sealed

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 05:26:18 AM

For those that aren't part of the Alt-Clients thread, I just posted a tool I created to leverage Joric's PyWallet to migrate your Satoshi wallet to Armory.  You can find it here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56424.msg791695#msg791695

This is a temporary solution until I get something integrated into Armory.  If you don't mind some command line stuff this should work great -- tested on Win 7 64-bit.  Should work on linux if you already have all the packages installed to run Armory, and copy the .so file from Armory into this downloaded directory.

Simply run PyWallet (included in zip-file) to pull your keys out of your Satoshi wallet, then run my tool (ArmoryBulkImport.py) to import them into your Armory wallet.  Because of the keypool size, you are guaranteed to get at least 100 addresses added to your Armory wallet.  This should work fine offline, and then you can create your watching-only copy and put it on your online computer. 

Click the link above for more details.

I'm about to try an offline transaction! Smiley

Did it work?  (besides the send-tx bug that gives an error which I can't fix until next week...)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2012, 06:30:13 AM

Home from vacation and a bug-fix release!

I had introduced a nasty bug into Armory just before leaving for a week, probably causing all sorts of confidence issues for first time users.  Those issues have been fixed!

--Sending transactions work as expected (ledger updates immediately with number of confirmations)
--Signing offline transactions no longer fails if there is a blockchain file on the offline system (weird problem, but fixed now)

Thanks for your patience!

Download the updated version 0.56-alpha at:  http://bitcoinarmory.com/index.php/get-armory

Indemnified

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 06:15:26 AM

Bumped (with another donation). Any one else ready to do something to get bitcoin mainstream ready?
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2012, 06:20:01 AM

Bumped (with another donation). Any one else ready to do something to get bitcoin mainstream ready?

I got an article in BitcoinMedia!  I think that should help Smiley

http://bitcoinmedia.com/the-peoples-vault-armory-client/

stick_theman

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 11:51:39 PM

I like the heading on the Bitcoin Media.  Armory, it's THE PEOPLE'S VAULT!  (I'm the capitalist to the core, no, not a communist, just love the sounding of the name).
finway

Activity: 714

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 01:17:18 AM

Nice Work.

stick_theman

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 04:04:13 AM

Just donated!  Don't worry about sending me any trinkets.  I want you to save all that time and extra resource for your project.  What you are doing is tremendous.

The price of BTC is going higher these days as well.  Good omen!

Smiley
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2012, 04:09:31 AM

Just donated!  Don't worry about sending me any trinkets.  I want you to save all that time and extra resource for your project.  What you are doing is tremendous.

The price of BTC is going higher these days as well.  Good omen!

Smiley

Thanks!  Well at least PM me your email address, and I'll send you the encryption seminar.  There's no reason for any of the donors not to get that Smiley

stick_theman

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 01:16:26 AM

PM Sent!  Weekend is coming up.  I think a cryptography lecture is in order.  LOL
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 01:28:42 AM

A lot of you have been waiting for this feature, so please help test it!  Gimme feedback!

Version 0.60-alpha-RC1: Satoshi Wallet Migrate/Import!

Finally got a migration tool integrated, and it works with encrypted wallet.dat files!  Import from encrypted or unencrypted Satoshi wallets, with or without the address pool, including address labels, into an encrypted, unencrypted, or new Armory wallet.

A special thanks to Joric for providing me such excellent reference code to get the wallet-decryption working. I donated 5 BTC to Joric for his help!  Now, if all you want to do is pull your private keys out of your wallet.dat, you can use Armory to dump them into a new wallet, and then use "Backup Individual Keys" to create a text file you can print out. 

48 hours left in the crowdfunding!
It doesn't look like I'll make the $12k, but I will still be able to take a pretty significant chunk of unpaid leave.  If I make it to $6k, I will cut a full day off my job!   I wish I'd gotten RAM-reduction going by now, but instead I was listening to you and implementing features that I were in high demand (and not major overhauls of the application).  Plus, the RAM-reduction is half-done, and hopefully be implemented in the next couple weeks!

TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 02:42:19 AM

I pledge $49.99+ in btc when it hits beta. I have been on the losing side of up front costs too many times - while this seems like a slam dunk, it is a personal issue for me. I check the armory thread all the time.

OT question about deterministic wallet: If someone were to get a few private keys from a deterministic wallet, can he extrapolate the data to retrieve all the keys?

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 02:54:26 AM

I pledge $49.99+ in btc when it hits beta. I have been on the losing side of up front costs too many times - while this seems like a slam dunk, it is a personal issue for me. I check the armory thread all the time.

OT question about deterministic wallet: If someone were to get a few private keys from a deterministic wallet, can he extrapolate the data to retrieve all the keys?

There is one chain code and an infinite series of private keys.  If an attacker gets one private key and nothing else, that's all he gets.  If he gets PrivKey(i) and the chaincode, then he can calculate PrivKey[i+1], PrivKey[i+2], ..., but not any of the ones before it (i-1, i-2, ...)

check_status

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:07:20 AM

A lot of you have been waiting for this feature, so please help test it!  Gimme feedback!------------|
-------------------VVVVVVVVVVV--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
I wish I'd gotten RAM-reduction going by now, but instead I was listening to you and implementing features that I were in high demand (and not major overhauls of the application).  Plus, the RAM-reduction is half-done, and hopefully be implemented in the next couple weeks!
Choosing not to do this upfront limits the amount of people that can trial the software. People by nature like to feel it, touch it, taste it prior to making commitments and this factor could have caused some missed donations. From reading user comments and your write ups I was filled with anticipation willing to give it a try when I discovered this fact. O.o My daily user only has 2GB so I couldn't play with Armory. SOAB :sigh:

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
Keefe

Activity: 681

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 11:32:06 AM

I also must wait for the ram-reduction overhaul before I can enjoy Armory, as I still use WinXP 32bit. Once I get my hands on a fully functional (not just testnet) Armory, I'll probably be impressed enough to donate.  Wink

Otoh
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 12:09:45 PM

I've pledged a 5 BTC bounty for someone to write an open source script for making large wagers on Bitlotto (atm the bets are for 0.25 BTC each so to wage 10 BTC takes 40 tx which is a pain to do manually), if a wallet service enables a 'repeat transaction n times feature ie same amount, from same address (or different ones if that's more practical) to be sent to just 1 receiving address (that month's Bitlotto address) then I would award the bounty to who ever made this first

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34007.msg803814#msg803814

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: