Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:56:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory Crowdfunding Finished! [UPDATE - *BETA*]  (Read 25471 times)
Jon
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 09:09:52 PM

Port Armory to Javascript and I'll donate $100 in Bitcoins.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 09:11:25 PM

I don't think "port" is what you want.

However, there will eventually be support for a JSON-RPC.  You should be able to build whatever you want with javascript once that exists.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 09:13:14 PM

However, there will eventually be support for a JSON-RPC.  You should be able to build whatever you want with javascript once that exists.

I don't think you'd want to move something that uses up 4GB of RAM to Javascript-- ever.

Jon
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 09:15:44 PM

I don't think you'd want to move something that uses up 4GB of RAM to Javascript-- ever.
The client should only have to download the most recent blocks in the chain. This whole issue disappears once that happens.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 09:17:42 PM

The client should only have to download the most recent blocks in the chain. This whole issue disappears once that happens.

Oh yea, good point. So then the next time you close your browser and open it ag--- ohhh wait..

Roll Eyes

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 09:23:24 PM

I have plans in the far future to allow for a headers-based implementation.  As long as you have the headers, you wouldn't need the whole blockchain (after all, that's kind of what the headers are for).  Thus, if you just created your wallet, you wouldn't need to download the old blocks.

But that's a non-negligible paradigm shift for Armory.  Until then, I'll just focus on not loading the whole blockchain into RAM.  While that's a significant paradigm shift, my upcoming solution will work on systems <1 GB of RAM and not run off to infinity with the size of the blockchain...

(P.S. - I'm talking about available system RAM -- Armory doesn't use 4 GB right now, but you'd have a tough time using it on a Win7 machine with less than 4GB)

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 09:26:59 PM

What benefit do you see in having the blockchain in javascript?

Build a web app that uses javascript to interact with the armory server's JSON-RPC.  "Easy" web wallet with everything that Armory has.  I say "easy" because it's a lot of work to build a good web wallet even if the logic is mostly in armory.  It also definitely isn't easy for the armory dev.

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 09:28:12 PM

Oh yeah. The original reason I came to this thread.

I tried to donate with a credit card, but the payment page never loaded Sad

I'll donate with bitcoin soon Smiley

jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 11:07:57 PM
Last edit: February 21, 2012, 11:19:57 PM by jim618

I have a MultiBit twitter feed (MultiBitOrg) for release announcements:
Just tweeted:

Armory (excellent alt Bitcoin client) is crowdfunding. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=64449.0;all #bitcoin

Let's get those BTC flowing into etotheipi's rocket address and get him working on Bitcoin fulltime!

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 11:10:10 PM

Just tweeted:

Armory (excellent alt Bitcoin client) is crowdfunding. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=64449.0;all #bitcoin

Lets get those BTC flowing into the etotheipi's rocket address and get him working on Bitcoin fulltime!

Jim,

If you didn't just donate 5 BTC to me, I'd be donating 5 BTC to you!  I hope you accept my raw appreciation instead of a returned donation Smiley
Thanks!

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 11:14:38 PM

Just tweeted:

Lets get those BTC flowing into etotheipi's rocket address and get him working on Bitcoin fulltime!

Just tweeted the same thing from the bitcoin horn.

And added Armory donation thread to my sig.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 11:37:07 PM

10 BTC sent your way.

No rewards, thanks. I'd rather see all of it go to the actual goal.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
RoloTonyBrownTown

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 11:49:15 PM

Hi etotheipi,

Send you a small donation to your BTC address.  It's not much, but it's also not nothing Wink  (it was all I had in my bitcoinspinner wallet on my phone, I'll send a "proper" donation when I get back to my main PC)

Looking forward to a compiled version for windows to get around the 64/32bit python issues Smiley

labestiol

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 12:09:40 AM

Sent you 5BTC.
Keep up the good work Wink

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
RoloTonyBrownTown

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 02:20:38 AM

Looks like a bit of an influx of BTC donations today, so that's nice.   It was at 15BTC this morning, now it's at 50.

EDIT:  Actually, it's more likely that blockexplorer is crapping out again and it just wasn't refreshing properly earlier Wink

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 06:47:49 AM

Nice job, looks great!

I hope you don't mind if we borrow some good ideas for the satoshi client Smiley

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
sirk390

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 09:34:05 AM
Last edit: February 22, 2012, 09:44:34 AM by sirk390

I just sent 50BTC. I see them as a great investment in the future of bitcoin.
You have some really excellent features likes "Deterministic wallets " and "Read-only wallets".
Keep up with the good work.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2012, 01:27:01 PM

Nice job, looks great!
I hope you don't mind if we borrow some good ideas for the satoshi client Smiley

John,

I'd be thrilled if I was responsible for encouraging some new features in the Satoshi client!  Of course, I'd like to take credit for having done it first (like crowdfunding based on those features before anyone else has them Smiley), but I really think the Satoshi client needs some goodies beyond security upgrades.  Security is great and all, but the Satoshi client is both the security and the face of Bitcoin, and I think the face is starting to look kind of boring...

sirk390,

You are awesome!  Thanks so much!  Please email or PM me your email address and/or mailing address, if you'd like your rewards.  I insist that everyone who deserves a USB key and/or Tshirt should get one... the bulk discounts I get for 50+ and 100+ are pretty substantial Smiley

On that note:  I haven't gotten the shirts made yet.  I was planning on doing something very simple like

(btw, that's not me... I'm much paler than that Smiley)

My girlfriend says I should include the full logo on there, but I have a few arguments against it.  I'm looking for feedback about it:
(1) I am really happy with my logo/icon, and I think it looks great without needing to identify the brand behind it.
(2) I think that identifying the brand is largely unnecessary:  the Bitcoin community is small enough that if someone else is not part of the community, they won't care what brand is behind it (in fact, advertising a brand explicitly may be undesirable for some of us geeks).   If they are part of the community, they will probably recognize it and it won't matter whether the "ARMORY" is there. 

For instance, I own one of these XKCD shirts.  I get all sorts of positive reactions to it regardless of whether the person knows what XKCD is.  But, I know my logo isn't as cool as a velociraptor (I mean, what is cooler than a velociraptor?).  Recommendations are accepted.

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 02:00:39 PM

Security is great and all, but the Satoshi client is both the security and the face of Bitcoin, and I think the face is starting to look kind of boring...
Well, to be honest I created bitcoin-qt in the hope (beyond adding new features) that it would accelerate bitcoin UI development by making it more accessible. The code is set up to be readable and maintainable[1].

It has partially succeeded. There are more UI pull requests than ever before with the Wx UI. Still, things are going pretty slow. Maybe we should set up a crowdfunding too. Though I really prefer code, not cash... (unless it's enough to make it my day job then I could spend a lot of time on it)

[1] Sure, major functionality changes also require changes to Satoshi's code, which is as impenetrable as ever, though it is slowly being cleaned up and reorganized.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2012, 07:55:07 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2012, 11:48:50 PM by etotheipi

Security is great and all, but the Satoshi client is both the security and the face of Bitcoin, and I think the face is starting to look kind of boring...
Well, to be honest I created bitcoin-qt in the hope (beyond adding new features) that it would accelerate bitcoin UI development by making it more accessible. The code is set up to be readable and maintainable[1].

Unfortunately, I'm new to Qt, so my UI code is probably "suboptimal".  On the other hand, this is mostly Python, so it should be uniformly more pleasant to deal with Smiley   I'm hoping to kind of lock-down the C++ stuff, and then users can fork and modify the code-base strictly with python (and PyQt is delightful!)

Though I really prefer code, not cash... (unless it's enough to make it my day job then I could spend a lot of time on it)

I'm only motivated by money if it's enough to cut down my hours or pay off a significant portion of my house.  So, I decided to see if I could pull off the first one with crowdfunding in exchange for keeping my software awesome and open source.  I'll let you know how it goes Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: