Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:13:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory Crowdfunding Finished! [UPDATE - *BETA*]  (Read 25469 times)
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 28, 2012, 10:36:53 PM

How about jumping on the onion and kindly ask them to change the name?
After all is not like google is going to show people their site when they look for it.

If they don't do it, and taking into account that bitcoin is their only accepted currency, you should keep the name and just enjoy the free targeted traffic Wink
^^ I wouldn't even ask them for a name change and would just enjoy the free traffic Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2012, 11:57:36 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the name and certainly don't change yours.

We don't even know if this site will be around in a month.

The confusion is probably bad for you on the whole, but it isn't all bad. As mentioned nearly everyone will end up on your site before finding what they seek.

The authorities are incompetent at keeping us safe and wealthy because they aren't even trying to do that. If they raid you 'mistakenly' it won't actually be a mistake, it'll be an excuse.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2012, 12:10:59 AM

I think the title change is going to draw more attention to the similar names than what you would have seen before.

I'm not worried about people noticing the similarity in names.  I already expect people will notice both.  I just want to make sure no one mistakenly assumes real association between the two "projects." 

At least that one is called "The Armory" and I am just "Armory." 

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2012, 12:17:46 AM

I think the title change is going to draw more attention to the similar names than what you would have seen before.

I'm not worried about people noticing the similarity in names.  I already expect people will notice both.  I just want to make sure no one mistakenly assumes real association between the two "projects." 

TBH, I think Armory is kind of a strange name for this client.  I associate an armory with weapons storage, so coin storage doesn't really follow.

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2012, 12:24:00 AM

I'm not worried about people noticing the similarity in names.  I already expect people will notice both.  I just want to make sure no one mistakenly assumes real association between the two "projects."  

TBH, I think Armory is kind of a strange name for this client.  I associate an armory with weapons storage, so coin storage doesn't really follow.

Armories are usually highly-secured buildings full of weapons and tools.  You could consider the capabilities of Armory as "weapons" or "armor" for dealing with Bitcoin attackers.   Or, the focus is more on the "fortified building" aspect, not the weapons.  

And of course, it's not necessary for names/trademarks to match the exact nature of what they represent.  Just the gist of it (or not all: there's millions of companies that use a name that has no relationship to what it represents:  what about "Microsoft"?).  If I had known an illegal weapons marketplace would open with the same name, I might have considered something different...

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
fornit

Activity: 989
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 12:29:46 AM

how about a cooperation? "bitcoin wallets and submachineguns - offline transactions have never been more secure!"
SCNR  Tongue
when etotheipi first announced armory i thought "oh thats an interesting name - if i ever write a tool for it i name it 'explosives locker' or something". but i certainly didnt see this one coming...
Lupus_Yonderboy

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 05:03:55 AM

*sigh*. The issue with the names is public perception. It really isn't going to take someone in the press very long to note the similarity in the names, and with the amount of FUD we've all seen out there regarding Bitcoin it will be short work for someone to make Armory = The Armory to the public and make it stick. Of all the fucktardedly stupid things to do to help derail Bitcoin this has to be one of the best. My understanding is that eto is trying to make this appeal to the mass public at large and hence get widespread adoption of Bitcoin. Having this awesome client even remotely tied to weapons dealing is a good way to kill it with the general public. My advice is to change the name of this project, quickly.

edit: And if you want, you can get the community involved in the renaming part. Make a thread, get the best 5 or 10 ideas, assign them each an address and let people vote with bitcoins. Name that has the most coins wins.
Indemnified

Activity: 216

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 05:28:43 AM

*sigh*. The issue with the names is public perception. It really isn't going to take someone in the press very long to note the similarity in the names, and with the amount of FUD we've all seen out there regarding Bitcoin it will be short work for someone to make Armory = The Armory to the public and make it stick. Of all the fucktardedly stupid things to do to help derail Bitcoin this has to be one of the best. My understanding is that eto is trying to make this appeal to the mass public at large and hence get widespread adoption of Bitcoin. Having this awesome client even remotely tied to weapons dealing is a good way to kill it with the general public. My advice is to change the name of this project, quickly.

edit: And if you want, you can get the community involved in the renaming part. Make a thread, get the best 5 or 10 ideas, assign them each an address and let people vote with bitcoins. Name that has the most coins wins.

Unfortunately, I agree. Public perception can make or break - and this is a no-brainer for an adversary to exploit.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2012, 05:47:03 AM

Well, I will happily take suggestions and go from there.  Perhaps if I get some good recommendations I will consider.  Unfortuantely, I'm leaving town for a week and I have no time to deal with this right now.  And re-branding will be no trivial task.  "Armory" is all over this project Sad

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2012, 07:54:59 AM

Well, I will happily take suggestions and go from there.  Perhaps if I get some good recommendations I will consider.  Unfortuantely, I'm leaving town for a week and I have no time to deal with this right now.  And re-branding will be no trivial task.  "Armory" is all over this project Sad

I would really not stress about this.

Most sites/companies fail anyway. This doesn't look like anything special and the people running it didn't consider their name very carefully since it's more likely to hurt them than anything.

Someone hears there is a place to get guns for bitcoin and wants to check it out. They end up at your site and realize whoever told them it sold guns was just an idiot.

Maybe when ignorant people complain to me that bitcoin is used to sell weapons I'll take them to your site and show them what bitcoin actually does.

I really hope you don't waste any time dealing with this, but If you do rebrand, stay away from 'flower' ok?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 02:21:37 PM

Most sites/companies fail anyway. This doesn't look like anything special and the people running it didn't consider their name very carefully since it's more likely to hurt them than anything.

Someone hears there is a place to get guns for bitcoin and wants to check it out. They end up at your site and realize whoever told them it sold guns was just an idiot.

Maybe when ignorant people complain to me that bitcoin is used to sell weapons I'll take them to your site and show them what bitcoin actually does.

I really hope you don't waste any time dealing with this, but If you do rebrand, stay away from 'flower' ok?

this is a good point.  The Armory may not even be around in 6 mo.  their biz probably borders on illegal altho this is just a guess. 

don't worry about it.  you have way more important things to focus on.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 02:26:17 PM

this is a good point.  The Armory may not even be around in 6 mo.  their biz probably borders on illegal altho this is just a guess. 

don't worry about it.  you have way more important things to focus on.
Lol, no shit it's illegal, that's why it's a Tor hidden site run by the same people as Silk Road.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 02:42:21 PM

LOL, nice title change!
blueadept

Activity: 225
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 02:48:25 PM

I don't use Armory yet but I donated $100 since I just got paid today.

I'm looking forward to multisig/contracts in Armory in the future, after P2SH is enabled on the network.  I'm especially hoping it will be possible to implement contracts to enable other "for the good of Bitcoin" crowdfunding projects in the future, such as assurance or dominant assurance contracts.

Like my posts?  Connect with me on LinkedIn and endorse my "Bitcoin" skill.
Decentralized, instant off-chain payments.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2012, 05:48:44 AM

Watching, and will probably buy the presentation for, $10 you said?, tomorrow.

Yup 2.1 BTC to the BTC address or $10 through RocketHub for the encryption seminar.  Maybe if I can generate enough interest, I could finish my crowdfunding on that alone  (only need about 900 people to buy in!)

Do you prefer BTC or RocketHub?

I have a very slight preference for RocketHub, but it only matters if you are completely indifferent to sending BTC vs entering CC information.  There's nothing wrong with BTC donations! (in other words, pick whatever you want, and only pick RH if you don't care one way or another)

Guess what I forgot to do for a whole week? (busy busy busy)
http://blockchain.info/tx-index/2949632/fff6a336eed0fa1c28dff3f6c24bf3b64c2102fc60e202567a2f1fa2606ce9f5
Hope that's enough for that seminar :|
Indemnified

Activity: 216

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 04:20:48 AM

O.K. Second donation just sent. I really hope that this project takes off, so I'm happy to bump with a donation.

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 06:47:43 PM

O.K. Second donation just sent. I really hope that this project takes off, so I'm happy to bump with a donation.

Thanks Indemnified!

With the recent, high-profile BTC thefts, I have updated this thread to more-directly market Armory as the solution.  It sounds like the only reason Slush didn't lose more money, was because he was using cold-storage for most of his funds.  Multi-signature transactions would help, but they are stalled indefinitely.  And, most users do not have the patience or skill to figure out "cold-storage" on their own, which is where Armory shines!  I guess I should rename Armory Offline Wallets to Armory Cold-Storage Solutions! 

So, I am bumping my own thread with a title change, in hope of really highlighting why users should be interested in Armory.  I think even after multi-signature transactions are enabled, offline wallets will be the best way to protect yourself, even against highly-targeted attackers.

Note: I am on vacation until the end of the week, and it appears I have introduced a send-tx bug into Armory just before I left (in version 0.55-alpha)!  Gah!  If you are trying out Armory for the first time and you try to send Bitcoins from your Armory wallet, you will get an error that it was not accepted by the network:  but the transaction did go through!  Just be patient and wait a few blocks (Armory still collects new block information, but it won't acknowledge the transaction until it appears in the blockchain).  When I get back from vacation, I will be fixing the bug! 

Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 06:53:54 PM

LOL, nice title change!
Even better now! Nice.

Now if only I could get xubuntu to boot off my USB stick Sad

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 07:37:46 PM

i can't wait until you get this thing locked down and solid.  what a great wallet.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 02:15:28 PM

Solid work.

How about supporting Wallet Import Format like the one used in bitwallet.org? that'd be nice to have IMO.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: