Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:27:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Discussion among the public is increasing  (Read 1724 times)
lyth0s (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 05:53:11 AM

So I usually get pretty excited whenever I hear about people (non-nerds and non-tech savvy) discussing bitcoins. However, today I overhead two physicians talking about buying $300,000 worth of bitcoins in order to protect themselves from the devaluation of the USD. Now I know that $300,000 isn't really THAT much in terms of the bitcoin marketcap, but more importantly is that we may have some of the educated people of the USA start buying bitcoins soon. The mere fact they 1) knew of bitcoin and 2) are considering dumping a large amount of their fiat into it, is a REALLY good sign.

I remember 2 years ago I did not hear a single person in the public discussing bitcoins. 6-8 months ago I began hearing very few people discuss it in passing, usually only in regards to it's recent price increases, and now I'm hearing people discuss bitcoins on a 1-2x per week basis.

Mass Bitcoin adoption is coming....I hope you're all ready for it Cheesy

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 05:55:15 AM

So I usually get pretty excited whenever I hear about people (non-nerds and non-tech savvy) discussing bitcoins. However, today I overhead two physicians talking about buying $300,000 worth of bitcoins in order to protect themselves from the devaluation of the USD. Now I know that $300,000 isn't really THAT much in terms of the bitcoin marketcap, but more importantly is that we may have some of the educated people of the USA start buying bitcoins soon. The mere fact they 1) knew of bitcoin and 2) are considering dumping a large amount of their fiat into it, is a REALLY good sign.

I remember 2 years ago I did not hear a single person in the public discussing bitcoins. 6-8 months ago I began hearing very few people discuss it in passing, usually only in regards to it's recent price increases, and now I'm hearing people discuss bitcoins on a 1-2x per week basis.

Mass Bitcoin adoption is coming....I hope you're all ready for it Cheesy

My father in law actually asked me about bit coin on our last visit. He won't even use a smart phone so that in itself is kind of miraculous.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 06:06:04 AM

Viva la revolution!
exponential

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 06:12:24 AM

I have brought it up around folks I wouldn't suspect to have a clue about and to my surprise they have absolutely heard of it.  I still must explain it but it's nice to see people becoming aware of what it is and somewhat open-minded.
DolanDuck

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 06:20:47 AM

With the recent good news about Dish adoption, Apple accepting btc in their apps, ebay CEO interview, Bitcoin is going mainstream so more and more people is speaking about it.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 07:44:30 AM

Right now, the majority of the general public (not only in the US, but also in other nations) is having a bad opinion about Bitcoin. It is due to the unrelenting media war being waged against the crypto-currency. But if we could spread the information about various advantages of Bitcoin, then I am sure that the popular opinion will change dramatically.
Mikez

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 08:09:29 AM

Bitcoin is starting to become a household word. I sometimes ask around people if they ever heard of Bitcoin, just a year ago.. most of the people I asked haven't heard of it. Now.. most of them have a tiny notion about it, that "it has something to do with the Internet, and money".
We're on the right track Smiley.

Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 04:24:17 PM

Right now, the majority of the general public (not only in the US, but also in other nations) is having a bad opinion about Bitcoin. It is due to the unrelenting media war being waged against the crypto-currency. But if we could spread the information about various advantages of Bitcoin, then I am sure that the popular opinion will change dramatically.
QFT, but it doesn't really matter. We're looking at 3-5 years for massive global adoption no matter what lies the media spreads.

Bitcoin is really shaking things up. The inevitable is coming.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 04:27:45 PM

QFT, but it doesn't really matter. We're looking at 3-5 years for massive global adoption no matter what lies the media spreads.

Bitcoin is really shaking things up. The inevitable is coming.
Vortexes are the new crystals.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 04:30:50 PM

Bitcoin is starting to become a household word. I sometimes ask around people if they ever heard of Bitcoin, just a year ago.. most of the people I asked haven't heard of it. Now.. most of them have a tiny notion about it, that "it has something to do with the Internet, and money".
Yup.  I no longer have to ask 'have you heard about bitcoin?' before starting a conversation about it anymore Smiley
Marlo Stanfield

Activity: 490
Merit: 280

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 06:37:06 PM

Yup.  I no longer have to ask 'have you heard about bitcoin?' before starting a conversation about it anymore Smiley

Right. Now I just open up with the standard "Have you heard the good news?"

"Satoshi Nakamoto mined for your sins!"
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 09:53:57 PM

How long until churches are accepting Bitcoin? I imagine that there is one that is already doing so. The wallet is always open then -_-

nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 10:33:18 PM

Seems as though not only is public awareness of bitcoin increasing but so is the overall favorable opinion.  The fact that it's managed to stick around despite all the cut-and-run plays seems to be shifting overall public opinion.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 10:48:30 PM

Seems as though not only is public awareness of bitcoin increasing but so is the overall favorable opinion.  The fact that it's managed to stick around despite all the cut-and-run plays seems to be shifting overall public opinion.

Imagine how we would be doing without all the scams and fraud.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
YAH
June 09, 2014, 11:00:07 PM

Bitcoin?

Yah.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz4nik6S5bs

Cheesy

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 11:18:30 PM

I've been mentioning Bitcoin to my friends and a few strangers and been having a few people get back to me after a few months asking for more information on how to get them, or to try and get a few free bitcoins here and there example the free 10 dollars students get for registering with coinbase a while back.
So it's kind of neat to see it growing
http://blog.coinbase.com/post/85758038492/10-of-free-bitcoin-for-college-students

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 11:22:51 PM

I've been mentioning Bitcoin to my friends and a few strangers and been having a few people get back to me after a few months asking for more information on how to get them, or to try and get a few free bitcoins here and there example the free 10 dollars students get for registering with coinbase a while back.
So it's kind of neat to see it growing
http://blog.coinbase.com/post/85758038492/10-of-free-bitcoin-for-college-students

I have been mentioning it to small businesses that I frequent. The responses are generally positive and one of them even asked for the web address for one of the merchant processors. A low key approach works best.

BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 11:32:41 PM

I asked my maid service if she'd take it and she said she doesn't take foreign currency.  Smiley

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:50:57 AM

I asked my maid service if she'd take it and she said she doesn't take foreign currency.  Smiley

-B-

Too bad I know of at least one maid service that takes Bitcoin and thats mangomaids not sure who else does
http://mangomaids.com/
https://www.facebook.com/MangoMaids

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
lexingyvvf14961

Activity: 119
Merit: 100

🌟 SONM ICO: 25/05/17 🌟

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 02:22:10 AM

If we add to some list, I will keep voting, let's wait.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: