Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:25:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't buy bitcoin thread on mises.org  (Read 7418 times)
Garrett Burgwardt (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 24, 2011, 11:39:11 PM

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/24195.aspx

Could use someone more willing to sign up and argue with ignorant people than me to go inject some facts into that thread.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Shortline

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 01:30:01 AM

No offense, friend, but you're fighting against the tide here.

These threads really boil down to someone saying "well, I don't think it's worth anything so I'm not going to use it." And then we all just wasted 50 posts talking about economics, misapprehensions about digital currencies, what open source means, the fed, libertarianism, drugs, and all kinds of irrelevant bullshit.

I've followed about fifteen similar threads and I've never seen anyone change their mind about anything, on either side of the debate.

I have a feeling that these threads will stop occurring as frequently when a bitcoin acolyte can point to a list of online stores and say, "if you had bitcoins you could shop here."

That said, don't let my negativity stop anyone. I just think convincing people to use bitcoin is a bit of a waste of time because when they're already contrary to the idea it is unlikely that you can turn them around.
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 01:38:26 AM

Justmoon has made quite a good answer already.  I think that's enough for now.

goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 01:48:43 AM

These threads really boil down to someone saying "well, I don't think it's worth anything so I'm not going to use it." And then we all just wasted 50 posts talking about economics, misapprehensions about digital currencies, what open source means, the fed, libertarianism, drugs, and all kinds of irrelevant bullshit.

I've followed about fifteen similar threads and I've never seen anyone change their mind about anything, on either side of the debate.

I have a feeling that these threads will stop occurring as frequently when a bitcoin acolyte can point to a list of online stores and say, "if you had bitcoins you could shop here."

That said, don't let my negativity stop anyone. I just think convincing people to use bitcoin is a bit of a waste of time because when they're already contrary to the idea it is unlikely that you can turn them around.

qft

Anonymous

April 25, 2011, 05:07:06 AM

It all boils down to the fact you cant eat bitcoins.  Tongue

Ian Maxwell

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2011, 06:07:24 AM

I can only hope the people who have been calling bitcoin holders irrational for months now will eventually start feeling a bit ridiculous as the exchange rate keeps rising.

Really, I would start worrying if I found that I was defining the "rational" agent as someone other than the guy currently sitting on top of a giant pile of money.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
Zibbo

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 12:09:06 PM

It's very hard for people to change their minds after they have publicly stated their positions, and possibly ridiculed people holding the opposing view. But luckily the people you are arguing with are usually not the ones you should be trying to convince. For every person attending these debates with opinions set to stone, there are hundreds of people just reading who have not made up their minds about the issue, and for that reason it's worth it to fight these seemingly pointless battles.
ploum

Activity: 428
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 12:36:50 PM

I can only hope the people who have been calling bitcoin holders irrational for months now will eventually start feeling a bit ridiculous as the exchange rate keeps rising.

You know, a bubble always grows and grows. During the .com era, companies worth billions! Now, they don't worth anything at all.

Bitcoin *might* be a bubble which is still in its inflation phase. Whether it's a bubble or not, nobody can really know, we can only have intuition.

So you are both wrong.

xlcus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 02:10:06 PM

It all boils down to the fact you cant eat bitcoins.  Tongue
You can if you boil them first Wink
The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 12:48:21 AM

Could use someone more willing to sign up and argue with ignorant people than me to go inject some facts into that thread.

I have a Mises account.  I'll take a look and might make some contributions.  I'm really frustrated with the Mises crowd for not bothering to correctly apply their own damn theories about money correctly to bitcoins.

If I get too pissed off I'll just tell them to eat some fucking carrots.  Wink
tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 01:41:47 AM

I have a Mises account.  I'll take a look and might make some contributions.  I'm really frustrated with the Mises crowd for not bothering to correctly apply their own damn theories about money correctly to bitcoins.

You really think most people on the mises forums actually understand economics?
The Script

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 02:55:51 AM

Ha, ha.  Well they should with all the free material available there.  Smiley
Ian Maxwell

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2011, 03:26:17 AM

I've made the best possible argument for the value of bitcoin: an offer to buy. Let's see if anyone puts their money where their mouth is.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 03:31:09 AM

ppl find it hard to change their stance on something they've been invested in for years.  i've been a PM bull for 6 years now and have started to convert some of my holdings to btc.  its always bothered me that i can't easily spend that bullion.  i've been impressed how much easier it is to move btc around.
tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 01:06:33 PM

Ha, ha.  Well they should with all the free material available there.  Smiley

You can give a pig the best vocal trainers in the world and all they'll do is squeal.  Problem is most people are stupid.
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2011, 04:17:13 PM

Explaining new concepts to people is a difficult skill to develop.  Knowing your facts is critical, but once you do the "soft skills" are all that matter.  If you don't have the soft skills to do it well, please don't bother.  Opinions on new things don't really harden unless someone argues with you.  Then you become committed to your prejudgement and much harder to sway later.  Nobody needs to won over today.  Most of the time, you should let bitcoins do the talking.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
The Script

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 04:21:55 AM

Explaining new concepts to people is a difficult skill to develop.  Knowing your facts is critical, but once you do the "soft skills" are all that matter.  If you don't have the soft skills to do it well, please don't bother.  Opinions on new things don't really harden unless someone argues with you.  Then you become committed to your prejudgement and much harder to sway later.  Nobody needs to won over today.  Most of the time, you should let bitcoins do the talking.

This is a solid analysis.  I do think it is important to correct misconceptions about bitcoins, but even that certainly requires tact. 
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 09:48:07 AM

Nicely said.  I support mises.org, but yes unfortunately those folks have a kneejerk reaction to any money that isn't gold-backed.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 10:17:22 AM

I support mises.org, but yes unfortunately those folks have a kneejerk reaction to any money that isn't gold-backed.

The kneejerk reaction is understandable, because in the past they've only seen non-gold-backed money that is either a scam or is unsound.

Bitcoin is so radically different from anything they've seen before, that it's a natural first reaction to lump it with all the other non-gold-backed money systems that they've seen.

New ideas take time to be accepted. When the concept of "zero" was first imagined by mathematicians, it took centuries to be accepted as being real and meaningful. The same with the idea of the sun at the center of the solar system. And evolution is still not universally accepted.
PseudoCode

Activity: 153

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 11:19:29 AM

A complaint/quote from one of the early proponents of quantum theory was something like
"The only sure way to get radical new advances accepted in the world of science is to wait for all the old scientists to die..."

Unfortunately, most people expounding their economic theories (and deriding others) are even less rational than your average scientist is..

Fortunately, we dont need to wait for them to die in the literal sense to try something new, only in the financial sense, which seems to happen a lot quicker.

I dont claim to be skilled enough in global economics or monetary theory to say for sure whether the new idea of bitcoin will definitely fly or not, but it seems different to anything that has been tried before and incorporates new technologies that were unthinkable 20 years ago that it sure seems worth a go.

To all the "old school" economists who think they know everything there is to know about money I suggest that people point out that just 20 years ago the idea that you would be able to sit at home, click a few buttons, and within seconds be able to pull nearly any information/music/video (and more) from across the planet into your lap would have been ludicrous..    That every citizen would have more computing power in their telephone than governments used to influence the outcome of world wars with encryption. 

With technology like this powering Bitcoins "new money" idea system, anyone who simply writes it off as not even worthy of serious consideration based on their historical understanding of money is a luddite fool in my opinion.    (Especially when they are actually using that same new technology themselves (computers and the internet) to argue with their opponents about it..

But there is little point in arguing with fools, it just makes you look stupid too.   
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: