Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:19:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SWIFT ready to block Iranian bank transactions  (Read 4193 times)
Dusty (OP)

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2012, 08:47:15 PM

This news shocks me: it show how powerful just one organization (SWIFT) has.
SWIFT can isolate a country from the rest of the world with the click of a button, causing enormous problems to the population.

That seems to me a very good reason to why countries should endorse Bitcoin, thus enabling them to be financial indipendent.

From the article:

When I studied International Relations in college, we were taught that economic sanctions could be on par with, “Rockets and bombs,” as one professor put it, and potentially much worse. Questions about economic sanctions amounting to collective punishment and other violations of International Law are ignored by the perpetrators. These types of policies resulted in a holocaust in Iraq.

The only conclusion that I can draw from the news below is that the decision has already been made to militarily engage Iran and this is an attempt to cause Iran to lash out first. In the event that Iran doesn’t strike first, a false flag incident could be fabricated easily.

If SWIFT actually pulls the plug, I’d consider the fuse to be lit. Also, if SWIFT does it before 20 March, this is probably the real reason:

Last week, the Tehran Times noted that the Iranian oil bourse will start trading oil in currencies other than the dollar from March 20. This long-planned move is part of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s vision of economic war with the west.
“The dispute over Iran’s nuclear programme is nothing more than a convenient excuse for the US to use threats to protect the ‘reserve currency’ status of the dollar,” the newspaper, which calls itself the voice of the Islamic Revolution, said.

Via: Reuters:

Belgium-based SWIFT, which provides banks with a system for moving funds around the world, bowed to international pressure on Friday and said it was ready to block Iranian banks from using its network to transfer money.

Expelling Iranian banks from the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication would shut down Tehran’s main avenue to doing business with the rest of the world – an outcome the West believes is crucial to curbing Iran’s nuclear ambitions.

SWIFT, which has never cut off a country before, has been closely following efforts in the United States and the European Union to develop new sanctions targeting Iran that would directly affect EU-based financial institutions.

The United States and EU have already moved to sanction Iran’s central bank.
“SWIFT stands ready to act and discontinue its services to sanctioned Iranian financial institutions as soon as it has clarity on EU legislation currently being drafted,” the company said in an emailed statement.

The United States has been pushing the European Union to force SWIFT to evict the Iranian firms but it was unclear whether the EU would reach an agreement.
For one, SWIFT’s home country, Belgium, does not think the global banking firm should be the only company of its kind required to comply with sanctions.

The Obama administration said it welcomed SWIFT’s intention to stop transactions involving designated Iranian banks. “We will continue to be in contact with our EU partners to urge action on this issue,” a U.S. Treasury official said.

SWIFT, with headquarters just outside the Belgian capital Brussels, is vital to international money flows, exchanging an average 18 million payment messages per day between banks and other financial institutions in 210 countries.

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 09:15:46 PM

1. A person with a western bank account goes to iran
2. The person sets up a bitcoin cash exchange
3. The person can sell and buy bitcoins, establishing international money transfers

Anyone see any potential problems with this? Of course the Iranian goverment could stop this etc, but other than that.

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 12:31:56 AM

Anyone see any potential problems with this?
Yes, you'd probably end up with an excess of Iranian Rials which you'd have trouble converting into usable currency.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2012, 12:35:17 AM

Yes, you'd probably end up with an excess of Iranian Rials which you'd have trouble converting into usable currency.

And become a...

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2012, 02:41:09 AM

As i said elsewhere, BTC will not help Iran a bit. At least not for those that want to convert their IRR to BTC as there are no BTC for sale in the country. There could be high demand for BTC in Iran though, so sending BTC to Iran by friends and family would definitely be a way around the embargo but I doubt Iran will embrace the BTC. Actually I would even fear that if Iran officially announced to use BTC to circumvent the SWIFT embargo, this would pose a risk for the BTC.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 02:55:53 AM

You could sell BTC for gold and silver or say oil or some other commodity..

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 02:57:20 AM

So, the superpowers want to smack the Iranians into submission? Just because their delusional head of state wants to build nukes and flip them around the region?

Beats the hell out of Israeli nukes raining down on Tehran, which is the other alternative.
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 08:19:18 AM

Its because of the oil, we are close to or at peak oil and oil will now be even more important, the country with the most oil will win unless attacked  Roll Eyes

They try to build nukes so that they will not be attacked.

Ofcourse the president of Iran is a maniac the world could be without but he will probably only be replaced by some other religious maniac.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
fellowtraveler

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 09:09:55 AM

If shutting down Napster resulted in Bittorrent, then what will be the result of shutting down SWIFT transfers in and out of Iran?

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 10:53:50 AM

It's almost impossible to replace a centralized system without a war  Wink

MacRohard

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 12:11:45 PM
Last edit: February 20, 2012, 12:27:27 PM by MacRohard

This is pretty interesting, but actually I think it will end up hurting SWIFT more than Iran.

All swift actually does is allow messages to be securely exchanged between banks. They don't need to use it and if they suddenly can't use it - some workaround will be devised which, once in use might turn into a long term swift competitor that can be used by other countries as well.

It will still be possible for Iranian banks to access their correspondent accounts at banks they do business with - it just means they won't be able to use SWIFT to communicate with those banks anymore.

Initially they'll proably have to resort to fax and telephone or even email but soon some other platform will be developped - maybe just some form of online banking that works over the internet the same way our personal accounts do. Or maybe a standardized web services API. All they need to do is be able to see when a payment comes into the foreign bank so they can credit their local customer, or pay someone that their local customer wants to pay. SWIFT isn't really that great anyway and if an alternative is developped it will probably end up being much cheaper.

One thing I read is that Iran's ATM network is linked to the ATM network in Bahrain and maybe some other gulf countries so presumably people living there can easily funnel money into /out of Iranian banks using the ATM network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shetab_Banking_System

To understand how pointless this is - someone in Iran can probably just setup an account (either create a Ltd company or maybe even just a personal account) at a bank in Bahrain or Dubai and withdraw cash at ATMs inside Iran over the Shatab system.

istar

Activity: 523

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 03:16:32 PM

There is no peak oil. It was a big hoax.
Plenty of oil is and will be available everywhere.
Years ago the big deposits were found in USA and Brasil.

Scroll the comments there :
www.marketwatch.com/community/doubledutch/comments/story

Pleeease, do NOT trust mainstream media propaganda BS.
Check for yourself.

Yes you are right, please do not trust mainstream media propaganda.
This does not mean that the world is running out of oil:
It would mean that we might be running out of the cheap pumpable oil that has fueled the economic development of the 20th Century.

Look at these and get back.

Part 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umFnrvcS6AQ

or forward to end of part 3

Have a look from 3:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFyOw9IgtjY

Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQd-VGYX3-E

Part 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-X6EpvWWu8

Part 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3y7UlHdhAU

In 2010 the german government did a study of the consequence of the peak oil.
It might have been a worst case scenario it might not.
But why do you think they did that study?

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,715138,00.html

And have a look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qeRaBaPRmk

Now after watching these, do you think its an accident that of all the countires on earth, the US has been involved in wars with
almost only the ones that happen to be on the list of having the greates oil supply?

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
MacRohard

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 04:21:07 PM

It would mean that we might be running out of the cheap pumpable oil that has fueled the economic development of the 20th Century.

Even if so -- it does not matter Smiley There is cheap and  more clean
energy source  -- Natural gas.
Plenty available worldwide. And guess what ? Its price nosediving right now Smiley

Yes, but that is probably the short term effect of an over investment in shale gas technology.. someone is going to lose alot of money on shale gas. Many of the shale gas fields that were brough online only a few years ago are already starting to deplete. This was not expected. To keep up production there will need to be a massive continuous drilling program that certainly wouldn't be justified by current gas prices. Even as prices go up harvesting relatively small pockets of gas all over the place would require enormous invesment.

It may still be one of our better options, but it's nowhere near as good as oil was, unfortunately. People tend to underestimate the sheer scale of what the oil industry has delivered us - it may not be possible to replace.

I'm quite interested in LENR/cold fusion as there have been some promising experiments recently but probably nothing that will be ready for use anytime soon.

In the short term the oil crisis will be solved by the economy imploding and less people driving around or flying in planes.

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2012, 05:12:50 PM

Initially they'll proably have to resort to fax and telephone

I had to lol at that Smiley
Imagine SWIFT on Fax Smiley 15.000.000 Faxes per day? *5g of paper per sheet? Hmm ... makes 75t of paper. Save the rain forest! Don't kick Iran out of SWIFT!1!

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
pointbiz

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 07:50:07 PM

You could sell BTC for gold and silver or say oil or some other commodity..

Iran will use its gold/silver to directly buy goods. BTC is an unnecessary middleman when gold/silver is involved.

BTC for oil is a viable option but there is a knowledge gap. Buyer and seller have to have faith in BTC.

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP
stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 08:22:30 PM

There is a lot of USD floating around Iran.  Just accept USD.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 08:36:02 PM

Iran will use its gold/silver to directly buy goods. BTC is an unnecessary middleman when gold/silver is involved.

BTC for oil is a viable option but there is a knowledge gap. Buyer and seller have to have faith in BTC.

Gold and silver can't be sent long distances easily & cheaply. BTC could be useful middleman for faster trade.

For example, if a guy from western country wants to send money to Iran, it is not very easy with gold and silver. But it is very easy to send money with bitcoins. Then the receiving person just needs a way to convert those bitcoins to something else, like USD, gold and silver. Converting to Iran currency requires just one contact with a western bank account (tourist, visiting businessman). I guess converting from Iran money to bitcoins may be difficult, but other way around it should be easy  Grin

Other point: the receiving end can just set up a account to some exchange. Then when he receives the bitcoins he can buy dollars with it, and keep the money on the exchange. That way bitcoin exchange rate risk avoided and the guy can have kind of "anonymous bank account".

It requires faith, but when other transmitting methods are difficult/forbidden/risky to your health, maybe people are ready to take the risks.

hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 12:06:20 AM

So, the superpowers want to smack the Iranians into submission? Just because their delusional head of state wants to build nukes and flip them around the region?

Beats the hell out of Israeli nukes raining down on Tehran, which is the other alternative.

Is there a full moon tonight or your account got hacked? 

Related reading:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/iran-worried-us-might-be-building-8500th-nuclear-w,27325/

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 04:06:47 AM

Iran already have alternative ATM network in place that other friendly countries started to accept: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shetab_Banking_System I would love to see dumps from Shetab magstripes if someone have the card. Also if someone here have a Iranian ATM card and are willing to donate the card to me, please write in PM.

Bitcoins can be good for Iran to 1. bypass western sanctions and 2. even more destabilize corrupt western economy and society. This will not be the end for Bitcoins but a next step forward.

If someone here can compose good and convincing letter to Iranian leaders explaining how Bitcoins can help Iran, I will try to deliver the message right to the top.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Dusty (OP)

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 03:15:45 PM

If someone here can compose good and convincing letter to Iranian leaders explaining how Bitcoins can help Iran, I will try to deliver the message right to the top.
The top being...?

In the meantime that's being confirmed, from SlashDot "Iran is being deleted from the world banking system Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) computers as of Saturday at 1600 UTC."

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/iran-cut-off-global-financial-system-15927666#.T2MwdREgffs
http://www.swift.com/news/press_releases/SWIFT_disconnect_Iranian_banks
http://blogs.voanews.com/breaking-news/2012/03/15/swift-to-expel-iranian-banks-after-eu-ban/

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: