Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 06:50:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Coming Digital Anarchy (must read!)  (Read 1941 times)
Beliathon (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 04:15:31 AM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10881213/The-coming-digital-anarchy.html

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 08:08:34 AM

Almost, but not entirely, untrue. Anyway it is good that a journalist starts to open his mind a bit.
Ilsk
Legendary

Activity: 833
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 10:48:53 AM

Uh-Uh can't wait for the future
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 11:32:52 AM
Last edit: April 15, 2015, 07:26:42 PM by medUSA

This is a surprisingly long article on Bitcoin. The title used the word "anarchy" in a positive way as in "without government control". Not news for those who follow bitcoin developments. Fairly informative introduction to the ways in which "blockchain technologies" can be used to replace current non-transparent systems.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 11:37:58 AM

Nice to see a long article about Bitcoin and technology. For most bitcoiners it is not new, but I think to many people it is;

Mrrr

Activity: 617
Merit: 528

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 11:39:28 AM

A surprisingly unbiased and well informed article. Think we reached a new standard here.

burp...
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 12:03:54 PM

At a conference in 2009 he said: "There are quite a lot of people who think it's not possible. That's a good thing. We don't need to really worry about those people very much, because since they don't think it's possible they won't take us very seriously. And they will not actually try to stop us until it's too late."

runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 02:12:09 PM

This is a surprisingly long article on Bitcoin.
Some would say overly long.

Still, nice to see some discussion of Bitcoin beyond the currency (and, dare I say, crypto beyond Bitcoin). Tongue
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 02:19:21 PM

Jesus christ...that is LONG. I like it tho...i got down to the last sentance....but still...damn...it's long!

Anyway comment to article. It's just one way world could go with BTC. Everything inside that article that was wrote as "replaced by blockchain" can adept and change, and use that blockchain as it's own advantage. They doesnt need to dissapear. Blockchain is just storage of information and people need more than just information. More than just security of their bitcoin. You need security in a way that you will receive your goods and many more. Nothing that blockchain can solve. But businesses around blockchain can.
For example PayPal. Many thing that they will perish with BTC on the rise.
What if PayPal embraces bitcoin?
What if they start using it to move money around the world (now they use banks).
What if they offer "buyer protection" and "seller protection" to BTC users? Will they perish?
No they ownt. They can turn it into their advantage and live out of it, just like they live out of fiat transactions. As security layer for buyer and seller.

There are many more examples where similar approach can be used. Businesses that we think will dissapear can adopt BTC and become stronger and better because of it.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 03:01:57 PM

pretty cool article...

I don't really agree with Mike Hearn's vision though.
Meaning that, I don't think computers will be smart enough
to run businesses, at least not in the next 50 years.

Beliathon (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 03:18:26 PM
Last edit: June 10, 2014, 03:52:21 PM by Beliathon

This is a surprisingly long article on Bitcoin. The title used the word "anarchy" in a positive way...
"The measure of the state’s success is that the word anarchy frightens people, while the word state does not. We are like those African slaves who believe that their master is their benefactor, or those Russians who still believe that Stalin was their guardian."
-Joseph Sobran

This is a surprisingly long article on Bitcoin.
See what the age of Twitter has done to the attention span of readers?

Tragedy, travesty, disgrace, and shame. Nothing could be more important than patience and critical thinking skills in readers...

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Shibboleth

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 03:41:52 PM

Read all of the article this morning. I can't remember a single instance in the past where a journalist working for a ( once hostile ) mainstream media mouthpiece has articulated Bitcoin and the blockchain so succinctly.

Bitcoin has definitely arrived - I don't know if this is good or bad. Perhaps this is the next question.
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 03:48:08 PM

See what the age of Twitter has done to the attention speed of readers?

Tragedy, travesty, disgrace, and shame. Nothing could be more important than patience and critical thinking skills in readers...
I read it (patience) and I think it could be more concise (critical thinking). Grin
Beliathon (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 03:51:57 PM

Bitcoin has definitely arrived - I don't know if this is good or bad.
This should help clarify the issue for you.

lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 03:58:10 PM

decentralised system mentioned by the article is beyond the cryptocurrency and can solve many existing problems in society. A bit innovative idea.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 04:18:03 PM

Bitcoin has definitely arrived - I don't know if this is good or bad.
This should help clarify the issue for you.

How could it be bad?

Shibboleth

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 04:35:49 PM

Once "they" get their hands on it they will pervert it.
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 04:45:53 PM

digital anarchy? the cable companies, at least in the U.S., are basically decoupling themselves from net neutrality laws.. they are going to become absurdly powerful.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 04:49:12 PM

Once "they" get their hands on it they will pervert it.

only if "we" let them.

Beliathon (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 05:01:07 PM

digital anarchy? the cable companies, at least in the U.S., are basically decoupling themselves from net neutrality laws.. they are going to become absurdly powerful.
That kind of blatant tyranny could be just the kind of spark the sleeping citizens need...

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: