Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 08:47:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin city?  (Read 2486 times)
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 03:03:48 PM

I like the idea. There would be some logistical stuff to work out but maybe a pilot city of sorts would be a great way to experiment with full bit coin integration.

benjyz

Activity: 140
Merit: 107

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 03:12:18 PM

Reminds me of

http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Marcin_Jakubowski and
http://galtsgulchchile.com

I believe if cryptocurrencies continue to grow exponentially there will be enough wealth to contribute back. Building cities themselves sounds pretty utopian, though. If a person or a group of people really wants to make things happen it takes a lot of vision to attract talent, capital, .... it's more realistic to think about a kind of resort like GaltsGulch.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4498

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 04:07:41 PM
Last edit: June 10, 2014, 04:33:32 PM by franky1

making a city purely for bitcoin (translation: bitcoin concentration camp)

we do not need a place to throw bitcoiners into, we need to get non bitcoiners EVERYWHERE to accept bitcoin.
bitcoin is not about centralisation

secondly the cost to make a city requires billions. the OP wants people to give him all your bitcoins. this is another funds grab for personal profit.

thirdly you do not need to build a city. you can easily and more cheaply, convert a current city to be bitcoin friendly. check out hull, new hampshire. etc.

everyone SHOULD NOT pay the OP a single bitcoin to either run off with the money, or to make a concentration camp. instead we should be making EVERYWHERE bitcoin friendly. that way we can have choices of destinations and freedom of movement.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
JohnFromWIT

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 04:43:35 PM

we do not need a place to throw bitcoiners into, we need to get non bitcoiners EVERYWHERE to accept bitcoin.

secondly the cost to make a city requires billions. the OP wants people to give him all your bitcoins. this is another funds grab for personal profit.

thirdly you do not need to build a city. you can easily and more cheaply, convert a current city to be bitcoin friendly. check out hull, new hampshire. etc.

everyone SHOULD NOT pay the OP a single bitcoin to either run off with the money, or to make a concentration camp. instead we should be making EVERYWHERE bitcoin friendly. that way we can have choices of destinations and freedom of movement.

I don't think he asked for a penny.
Just throwing out ideas. Nothing wrong with sharing an idea.
Even one that isn't likely to actually develop.

Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 09:01:53 PM

I don't think anyone is advocating that kind of thing. It is fun to speculate on such an idea though.

Dorrace (OP)

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 09:39:40 PM

A not for profit company is probably the best legal way to put it, with a board of directors leading it and "citizens" will be stakeholders in the project with the right to vote. Yes it's a huge logistical issue but that's what team work is for , one person can't do this alone it would take hundreds of volunteers .

I personally am a tradesperson I could oversee construction of the place, it doesn't have to big to start just simple and efficient and foresight for future planning. Imagine a real estate development that's affordable and powered by bitcoins. It would take a lot of commitment but it will be an example for the rest of the world
Deviant1

Activity: 83

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 10:10:15 PM

Do some research into Bali - they are trying to become "Bitcoin Island".
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 10:17:03 PM

A not for profit company is probably the best legal way to put it, with a board of directors leading it and "citizens" will be stakeholders in the project with the right to vote. Yes it's a huge logistical issue but that's what team work is for , one person can't do this alone it would take hundreds of volunteers .

I personally am a tradesperson I could oversee construction of the place, it doesn't have to big to start just simple and efficient and foresight for future planning. Imagine a real estate development that's affordable and powered by bitcoins. It would take a lot of commitment but it will be an example for the rest of the world

It would be a massive undertaking for sure. I would love to see it happen. As someone said above the best route might be just to target an existing city.

BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 10:19:21 PM

They are actually building an abandoned island as a tourist spot where the medium of exchange is Bitcoin.

jeffersonairplane
Legendary

Activity: 1522
Merit: 1000

www.bitkong.com

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 10:39:01 PM

This would be ridiculously expensive. Things like this are always good on paper except when it comes to fund it, it never works.

BTCitcointalk
.    ██████████████████████████████████
                                                                 ██
                                                               ███   ██
                                                      ██      ███  ███
                                                     ███     ██  ███  ██
    ▄▄████▄▄    █▌                                         ███  ██  ██
  ██▀       ▀▀  █▌                                   ▀▀   ██▌███  ███ ██
▄█              █▌  ▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄   ▄   ▄▄▄█▄████████ ████   
█▌              ███▀.   ██    ██     ▀███   ███▀
   ████████████████      ▐█
█               ██       █   ██        ██   ██
     █████████▌██████       ▐█
█▌              █▌       █▌  █         ██   ██
      ██████████▀   █       ▐█
 █▄             █▌       █▌
█████████████████████████████████▌     █       ██
  ▀██▄     ▄██  ██
████████▌██████████████████████████████████     ██▄   ▄███
     ▀████▀▀████████████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████               ██▄▀▀██    ▀▀▀  ██
   ███▀▀▄▄▄█████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██████▄     ██
 ███▄▄██████████▀                                                 ▀█████▀▀
                                                                        ███

█████████████████████████████
Program

❤️
Give Hope To Everyone
━━━━━━━» $1 Is A Big Thing For Them

❤️
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 10:53:26 PM

your arguement
I don't think he asked for a penny.
Just throwing out ideas. Nothing wrong with sharing an idea.
Even one that isn't likely to actually develop.

my rebuttle

To start with a large fund will have to be started and I'm talking in the millions,

thank you for playing
have a nice day

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 10:59:40 PM

They are actually building an abandoned island as a tourist spot where the medium of exchange is Bitcoin.

I am really hoping something like that happens. I would finally renew my passport. 

jeffersonairplane
Legendary

Activity: 1522

www.bitkong.com

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 11:01:38 PM

I am really hoping something like that happens. I would finally renew my passport. 

It won't ever happen due to what I mentioned before. The unfortunate fact is that it's too expensive. And theoretically if it was built, how would it be maintained? Yes, it is only being run on Bitcoin, but what happens if magically BTC drops. It would cause an economic meltdown of the city rendering it completely useless.

BTCitcointalk
.    ██████████████████████████████████
                                                                 ██
                                                               ███   ██
                                                      ██      ███  ███
                                                     ███     ██  ███  ██
    ▄▄████▄▄    █▌                                         ███  ██  ██
  ██▀       ▀▀  █▌                                   ▀▀   ██▌███  ███ ██
▄█              █▌  ▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄   ▄   ▄▄▄█▄████████ ████   
█▌              ███▀.   ██    ██     ▀███   ███▀
   ████████████████      ▐█
█               ██       █   ██        ██   ██
     █████████▌██████       ▐█
█▌              █▌       █▌  █         ██   ██
      ██████████▀   █       ▐█
 █▄             █▌       █▌
█████████████████████████████████▌     █       ██
  ▀██▄     ▄██  ██
████████▌██████████████████████████████████     ██▄   ▄███
     ▀████▀▀████████████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████               ██▄▀▀██    ▀▀▀  ██
   ███▀▀▄▄▄█████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██████▄     ██
 ███▄▄██████████▀                                                 ▀█████▀▀
                                                                        ███

█████████████████████████████
Program

❤️
Give Hope To Everyone
━━━━━━━» $1 Is A Big Thing For Them

❤️
ashleysly

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 11:04:04 PM

Love the fact you said about a concentration camp haha.

Anyway it is really expensive. Also i don't think people would give OP a couple of billion $ worth of BTC.

Earn Devcoins by Writing
Support me build a plane to advertise DVC: 1Mdu9MbAEsUm81NzEPQR7GCkUxbG39pWMy
cookiemonster7

Activity: 107

Cookie...Cookie.

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 11:05:41 PM

It would have to be a country... as any country we tried to do this in would steal everything we had in the name of justice or terrorism or really w/e as the masses are really stupid and believe anything.

I think it should be an enormous floating Bitcoin city, that could travel the open ocean. If these could be feasible and repeated the world would avoid overpopulation issues.

Like the guy who made a floating island out of empty bottles? a few miles wide of a bunch of old cans and bottles could make it happen. Sign me up.

-  “Genius is fine for the ignition spark, but to get there someone has to see that the radiator doesn't leak and no tire is flat.”
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:40:30 AM

Would love to get a chance to checkout Bali someday.  Not to mention Galt's Gulch!  Just gotta get my satoshi's in order first.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
Dorrace (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 10:29:23 AM

I don't want the responsibility of the fund, im only saying ill do the construction side of things.

and yeah its volatile, bitcoin could plummet any day, it could explode and quadriple in price at any moment too im not speculating on the price of bitcoin but essentially if you have bitcoin backed by something solid , it will always have a value.

the only reason the USD or the AUD is worth anything is because for one its backed by the governments ( was backed by gold and silver once upon a time) and its widely accepted. I mean theres alot of factors in play, people starting to realise the gorvenment can just print money whenever it feels like (the government indirectly does this through the reserve bank) .

IF they start backing paper with gold or silver again then i gaurantee the bitcoin price will drop if even a little.

but back to the project, there are a number of ways to ensure the longevity of the city. To maintain the presence of the bitcoin, you could invite bitcoin related companies/enterprises  to operate there , create something you can't have in an established city, even if its abandoned but to be honest the only abandoned cities you're going to find are pre 21st century towns in the center of nowhere, it wouldnt really save you an awful lot of money because you still have to add infrastructure, modern sewage processing, storm water pits/piping, electricity generation/connection ,etc .

Then theres the dilemma of internet. buildings are cheap, its what makes a building habitable that actually costs money.

i can tell you now if you refit an old town its going to cost you alot more unless you are incredibly lucky and find a place that has everything already in place and its merely cosmetic work required.

Some of you may be wondering where the money will come from? ( aka bitcoin) but let me pick your brain for a moment here , if you had enough companies interested in the venture, for example you get a few bitcoin exchanges and a bunch of other companies heavily reliant on bitcoin onboard and you offer a building, office or even a warehouse in return for a pledge of bitcoin with cost price construction and rent/lease thereafter or constructing for them and selling it to them whatever is more viable for that company . The bitcoin city will be in their best interest as it will strengthen the bitcoins demand and flow, giving those companies a greater foothold in the industry . it will no longer be about speculating and "hoping" the bitcoin prices go up and stay strong, its about taking a big step in driving bitcoin.

With a bit of crowd-funding  ontop of that and other sources whatever they may be, this could happen.

It shouldn't end there though, i would like to see community owned fabrications and factories. Reliable and renewable energies, construction materials and things that could be produced in excess for export, offering them to others out of the city where we only accept bitcoin.

there would have to be a bit of picking in regards to this, possibly a cheaper price for the goods or rather a competitive price to offer incentive but to compensate and grow, i would suggest a deal with one or more bitcoin exchanges to oversee the conversion of bitcoin and fiat currency for the exports, wether the people or companies convert to bitcoin then buy or rather pay a fiat amount that we in turn convert to bitcoin through the nominated exchange with special rates and commisions whichever way it goes.

its a community effort, there is no way in hell i could do any of this on my own . it would take a miracle but with the ever-growing bitcoin aware populace  this could become reality.

Dorrace (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 10:32:39 AM

to put it short , INDUSTRIALISE BITCOIN .
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 11:04:22 AM

but back to the project, there are a number of ways to ensure the longevity of the city. To maintain the presence of the bitcoin, you could invite bitcoin related companies/enterprises  to operate there , create something you can't have in an established city, even if its abandoned but to be honest the only abandoned cities you're going to find are pre 21st century towns in the center of nowhere, it wouldnt really save you an awful lot of money because you still have to add infrastructure, modern sewage processing, storm water pits/piping, electricity generation/connection ,etc .

Then theres the dilemma of internet. buildings are cheap, its what makes a building habitable that actually costs money.

i can tell you now if you refit an old town its going to cost you alot more unless you are incredibly lucky and find a place that has everything already in place and its merely cosmetic work required.

you are now boring the community...

1. the town you live in now, infact the towns anyone reading this lives in now.. it has internet correct?  it has shops? running water? electricity? it has warehouses, office blocks, apartment complexes, houses, etc??
so its cheaper to bribe every business in your town to b bitcoin friendly, as oppose to building a city and then trying to get businesses to go there.

2. do you even know the cost of one skyscaper... the cost of 1 apartment block. the cost of one house.. screw it lets keep it simple
a city has a million population. so imagine 1 million houses.. do the maths.. building a city costs more then the total market cap of bitcoin.

3. yea you want to build it. you say you dont want to manage the funds.. i hear you.. you want a middle man to hold the funds for a little while and then give the funds to you.. oh wait.. that still means that you want money.... i see now, and let me guess you want all the blame to b shifted back on the middleman for being a bad escrow... i totally get it now.

4. if you were in the mindset of expanding bitcoin you would be trying to get businesses of the world to accept bitcoin, but no all you want is for the community to give you a wage. even with your weak concept of what is actually required to build a city. you have no clue!

now move on back to your cave or atleast try getting businesses in your town to accept bitcoin. video it. then show us you working on a construction site. yes video yourself doing some actual work.. oh wait you wont do that.. so i guess the only option is going into your cave

Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 11:32:27 AM

Bitcoin city... :/ Your vision is something like five-man football vs Premier league. Crowdfunding the conquest of some undeveloped countries with plenty of natural resources. That's what I'd call a real vision Smiley.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: