Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:51:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is BITMAIN selling used products ?  (Read 3888 times)
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 09:18:03 PM

I wonder sometimes if people aren't just exaggerating.

I have three S1's and an S2. None of my units had any dust accumulation at all.

Even my KNC FrankenJup boards were completely dust free. Although every board did have thermal paste smeared everywhere. But that could have just been from actual testing since they would need to install heatsinks for testing.

In fact, I've never received any miner that has had obvious signs of use.
sebdude420

Activity: 397
Merit: 350

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 02:44:31 AM

i have been buying S1s off bitmain in large quantities. its a mixed bag.

Some of them are perfect pristine brand new 2014 units. some of them were 2013 units. some of them had dust. some had dents, some came with extra parts, yes seriously. one of them came with an extra capacitor in the bag, UNUSED!

All my units have worked perfectly.

9 out of 10 they were perfect.

no major issues. only one malfunctioning order out of 200.

The only very minor issues.

1 out of 200 had a broken fan blade, happened during shipping.

1 out of 150 had flaking paint on the support brackets on the end.

1 out of 100 the White ribbon cable came loose and didnt hash at 100% off the bat.

1 out of 50 had dented heatsinks.

1 out of 30 had very light dust.

1 out of 75 had extream dust. This was when their testing facility was underoing construction.

1 out of 10 had excess thermal paste which I appreciated the sight of.

OG Bitcoin Miner turned Proof of Stake Validator.
Maxed out Raspberry Pi 4 8GB at 120$ a Day Revenue with ~15K XTZ Bonds in Summer of 2021.
Looking at Proof of Stake systems all across the crypto ecosystem to expand operations.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 05:04:34 AM

i have been buying S1s off bitmain in large quantities. its a mixed bag.

Some of them are perfect pristine brand new 2014 units. some of them were 2013 units. some of them had dust. some had dents, some came with extra parts, yes seriously. one of them came with an extra capacitor in the bag, UNUSED!

All my units have worked perfectly.

9 out of 10 they were perfect.

no major issues. only one malfunctioning order out of 200.

The only very minor issues.

1 out of 200 had a broken fan blade, happened during shipping.

1 out of 150 had flaking paint on the support brackets on the end.

1 out of 100 the White ribbon cable came loose and didnt hash at 100% off the bat.

1 out of 50 had dented heatsinks.

1 out of 30 had very light dust.

1 out of 75 had extream dust. This was when their testing facility was underoing construction.

1 out of 10 had excess thermal paste which I appreciated the sight of.

I think that is a pretty solid endorsement for BitMain. I would not hesitate to buy from them again given the price was right and I had a need for more hashing power.  Given the alternatives really BitMain is one of the most solid companies in Bitcoinland for purchasing miners from.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
lowbander80
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 05:41:57 AM

Bitmain had great success with S1. S2 am not sure but from what I read was not a great success.In a china conference they said its goind to be an S3 with 28nm chips.Not yet released but they will need it
tzortz

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 07:56:29 AM

If Bitmain will not start selling a new product quickly, like the mentioned 28nm, will be in real trouble.

The competition is getting very very strong.

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 07:59:26 AM

Recently bought many antminers and 29% of them were obviously used.

PCB's, fan, aluminum heatsink were full of dust. I had to air pressure clean the heatsink and big chunks of dirt came out.

How can a big name like BITMAIN do this (from my reading, i am far from being the only one).

Is it an ancient Chinese tradition to sell used stuff as new ?  Tongue

No more "ancient Chinese" than new American tradition. See BFL for case in point.

You might want to stick to the company and lay off the nationality / race / culture angle. No one likes the racial overtones even from a fellow Quebecois d'accord?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Collider

Activity: 714

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:00:31 AM

I heard that Bitmains` S3 28nm chip should be out soon.

I guess it will hit the market sometime around the sp30. Will be interesting how their power usage will be, as their 55nm chip only gets ~1.1W/GH in deployed equipment.

However, that should be enough to get to around 0.5W/GH at 28 nm. Let´s see wether they will be delayed with their chips or not.

@ topic

Ofcourse they sell used equipment. They build in huge batches and then deploy at their DCs.

They then sell as much as they can, giving you 3 months guarantee on the equipment. Atleast they know it will work well.
tzortz

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:03:25 AM

I wonder why the do not open preorders like the did with the S2 Batch1.

I am so curious to see an asian company producing a 28nm product.
I am not referring to clones designed by Bitmine.

All is Mine!

Collider

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:06:09 AM

I wonder why the do not open preorders like the did with the S2 Batch1.

I am so curious to see an asian company producing a 28nm product.
I am not referring to clones designed by Bitmine.
The A1 chip is actually owned by Innosilicon.

Bitmine only has the right to chip sales in Europe (and America?) because they payed a part of the development cost.

Bitmine just didn´t see that chinese companies would sell the finished product all over the world.
tzortz

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:18:09 AM

Right, what I mean is that we have not seen any asian company developing and finishing a complete 28nm product so far.

I am curious to see it with Bitmain, but I have they feelling that they will make a smaller jump down to 40nm rather than 28nm.

Just my thoughts.

All is Mine!

Collider

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:39:05 AM

Right, what I mean is that we have not seen any asian company developing and finishing a complete 28nm product so far.

I am curious to see it with Bitmain, but I have they feelling that they will make a smaller jump down to 40nm rather than 28nm.

Just my thoughts.
Innosilicon is a Chinese company....

They have developed both the 28nm A1 and 28nm A2 (which is a litecoin mining chip).

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is power consumption. If they can get 0.5W at 32nm, i don´t care.
Anything above that would be bad, as Bitfury already sells 0.785W/GH 3.5 TH miners.

He also got a good funding round of 20M USD. He is either going to mass produce that rig or do a die shrink to get even better power consumption. (or both)

There really shouldn´t be much of a market for 1w/GH devices come August.
Didldak

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

Oh boy!

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 09:27:50 AM

Bought dozens of S1 from Bitmain - all of them without any major issues (maybe little dust sometimes). Never had to return a single unit, all of them were hashing without any problems.

I had way more issues with PSUs than with S1s :/

Hey.. watsup.
tzortz

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 10:55:22 AM

Just my thoughts.
Innosilicon is a Chinese company....

They have developed both the 28nm A1 and 28nm A2 (which is a litecoin mining chip).

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is power consumption. If they can get 0.5W at 32nm, i don´t care.
Anything above that would be bad, as Bitfury already sells 0.785W/GH 3.5 TH miners.

He also got a good funding round of 20M USD. He is either going to mass produce that rig or do a die shrink to get even better power consumption. (or both)

There really shouldn´t be much of a market for 1w/GH devices come August.

Innosilicon sells clone chips as designed by Bitmine or not??

What development did they make?

All is Mine!

edgar
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 02:58:17 AM

i wonder sometimes if people arent just basing their so called opinions upon their own experiences and ignoring the FACTS that many many people have been shipped late, broken, dirty, damaged, used hardware.

of which some report perfection, closely followed by back pedalling and less than perfection.

simply put, some people have had good experiences, they should share that and only that - not some made up parables about what they imagine others to be going through.

Bitmain promised reasonable compensation for late, broken hardware - a month later and all he can come up with is more 'virtual coupons' making the compensation actually a rouse.

spend more & rather than fix your crap,  ill give you a 'discount' that isnt actually a reasonable discount & has been given freely to probably thousands of people. (but lets call it compensation so you feel better if you are dense/retarded)

vulgar!
WinterParker

Activity: 356
Merit: 250

Dock.io

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 03:56:26 AM

Bitmain is just testing those puppies out, real quick!

▀ ▀ ▀▀▀
                 ▄█▄
         ▄▄      ███
         ▀██▄    ███
      ▄▄▄▄▄███▄  ███
   ▄███████████▀ ███
 ▄███▀    ▄██▀   ███
▄███     ██▀     ███
███              ███
███              ███
███▄            ▄███
 ███▄          ▄███
  ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
    ▀▀████████▀

██                            ██               ▄▄
          ██                            ██               ▀▀
          ██                            ██     ▄▄
  ▄██████▄██    ▄██████▄      ▄██████▄  ██   ▄██▀        ██    ▄██████▄
▄██▀    ▀███  ▄██▀    ▀██▄  ▄██▀    ▀▀  ██ ▄██▀          ██  ▄██▀    ▀██▄
██        ██  ██        ██  ██          █████▄           ██  ██        ██
██        ██  ██        ██  ██          ██▀▀██▄          ██  ██        ██
▀██▄    ▄██▀  ▀██▄    ▄██▀  ▀██▄    ▄▄  ██   ▀██▄   ▄▄▄  ██  ▀██▄    ▄██▀
  ▀██████▀      ▀██████▀      ▀██████▀  ██     ▀██  ███  ██    ▀██████▀

▬▬   WHITEPAPER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
FACEBOOK        TWITTER        TELEGRAM
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN THREAD   ▬▬

Und3rd0g

Activity: 231

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 04:15:11 AM

They build the product, test to ensure it is working and promptly ship upon order.  What is the issue?  This is a ridicules thread.
ZiG

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 05:44:12 AM

They build the product, test to ensure it is working and promptly ship upon order.  What is the issue?  This is a ridicules thread.

It is just an idealistic presumption...but in reality NOT true...

Simply stated...:

This IS the BUSINESS MODEL of if not all, MOST of the miner gear manufacturers...Capisco...?

BitMain, KnC, numerous Dragon Chinese clonings...you name it...are producing miners...and immediately put them to mine...to recuperate as much of the production cost as they can...allowing them to compete on prices...and as soon as they got our orders...same miners are flush to us...with as much profit as they can squeeze out of us..."the foreigners'...Capisco again...?

The same thing like some of individual miners among us are mining for a week...or two...or 1-2 months...and flushing them on E-Bay for some profit...from mining or selling...or both...

The only difference is that this E-Bay tactics is now promoted to corporate business model...some have advantage to be a real manufacturers...the rest...mostly Chinese ...are simply reselling the miners they can get...earlier and cheaper then most of us here...

That's it...Nothing more...and they will NOT change this...the way they make MONEY...I hope all of you "Capisco" now... Grin

Cheers,

ZiG  
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 05:51:10 AM

Recently bought many antminers and 29% of them were obviously used.

PCB's, fan, aluminum heatsink were full of dust. I had to air pressure clean the heatsink and big chunks of dirt came out.

How can a big name like BITMAIN do this (from my reading, i am far from being the only one).

Is it an ancient Chinese tradition to sell used stuff as new ?  Tongue

No more "ancient Chinese" than new American tradition. See BFL for case in point.

You might want to stick to the company and lay off the nationality / race / culture angle. No one likes the racial overtones even from a fellow Quebecois d'accord?

ANY American ASIC manufacturer for that matter....BFL,Hashfast,Cointerra,did I miss any....they all suck big balls.Very disappointed in my country  Sad

GO CHINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Cheesy  I just may move there...I love their women too  Grin

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
edgar
Legendary

Activity: 1848

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 06:34:49 AM

just an FYI for the uninitiated - mainlanders are NOTHING like the well-groomed westernised version you may fantasize over.

they are known around the world for pissing, spitting, shitting in public among other unhygenic practices.

BLund3rdog -That was a 'ridicul3s' post!!

if you genuin3ly fail to s33 th3 issu3, how about minding your own busin3ss, ie poor spelling, and k33p your gu3sstimations & ignoranc3 to yours3lf?

Und3rd0g

Activity: 231

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 03:23:14 AM

They build the product, test to ensure it is working and promptly ship upon order.  What is the issue?  This is a ridicules thread.

It is just an idealistic presumption...but in reality NOT true...

Simply stated...:

This IS the BUSINESS MODEL of if not all, MOST of the miner gear manufacturers...Capisco...?

BitMain, KnC, numerous Dragon Chinese clonings...you name it...are producing miners...and immediately put them to mine...to recuperate as much of the production cost as they can...allowing them to compete on prices...and as soon as they got our orders...same miners are flush to us...with as much profit as they can squeeze out of us..."the foreigners'...Capisco again...?

The same thing like some of individual miners among us are mining for a week...or two...or 1-2 months...and flushing them on E-Bay for some profit...from mining or selling...or both...

The only difference is that this E-Bay tactics is now promoted to corporate business model...some have advantage to be a real manufacturers...the rest...mostly Chinese ...are simply reselling the miners they can get...earlier and cheaper then most of us here...

That's it...Nothing more...and they will NOT change this...the way they make MONEY...I hope all of you "Capisco" now... Grin

Cheers,

ZiG  

My only comment would be that BitMain has a track record of delivering quite quickly.  With that, I guess I don't care if they have "burned-in" the miner that I purchased, ensured it is working, and taken in any BTC that they accumulated from this activity.  I would highly prefer the BitMain business model over the BFL, KnC, CoinTerra, [insert favorite scamming manufacturer here] model where they mine for Bitcoin with purchased hardware and delay, delay, delay the shipment.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: