Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:13:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Isle of Man and Bitcoin?  (Read 2022 times)
Dijital Para (OP)

Activity: 149
Merit: 104

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:48:24 PM

A group of Isle of Man businesses has launched an incubator for digital currency startups.

The incubator launch follows the island government’s announcement that it would seek to regulate digital currencies in a way that is favourable for companies working with the technology. To that end, the government is working on legislation that would be included under existing laws.
http://www.gov.im/news/2014/jun/10/isle-of-man-to-control-digital-currencies/
http://www.coindesk.com/isle-man-launches-digital-currency-startup-incubator/

They are trying to get a piece and host bitcoin companies on the island. What do you think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gianluca95
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1196

Reputation first.

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 05:41:32 PM

A group of Isle of Man businesses has launched an incubator for digital currency startups.

The incubator launch follows the island government’s announcement that it would seek to regulate digital currencies in a way that is favourable for companies working with the technology. To that end, the government is working on legislation that would be included under existing laws.

They are trying to get a piece and host bitcoin companies on the island. What do you think?

Muck like for the project.

But I don't share the choice for the place, Isle of Man is a fiscal paradise, so, warning !

█████████████████████████████
███▀█████████████████████▀███
███  ▀▀███████████████▀▀  ███
███     ████▀▀ ▀▀████     ███
███     ██▀       ▀██     ███
███     ██         ██     ███
███     ██▄       ▄██     ███
███     ████▄▄ ▄▄████     ███
███  ▄▄███████████████▄▄  ███
███▄█████████████████████▄███
.Mixin Safe.

▄███████▄     
██▀   ▀██
             ▄███████▄
██▄   ▄██             ██▀   ▀██
▀███████▀             ██▄   ▄██
   ███     ▄███████▄  ▀███████▀
   ███▀▀   ██▀   ▀██     ███
   █████   ██▄   ▄██     ███▀▀
   ▀▀▀     ▀███████▀     █████
              ███        ▀▀▀
              ███▀▀
              █████
              ▀▀▀
2/3 Multisig Decentralized
Bitcoin Custody Solutions
💎
💪
🔓
CONFIDENT
RELIABLE
RECOVERABLE
..GET STARTED..
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 06:11:43 PM

Muck like for the project.

But I don't share the choice for the place, Isle of Man is a fiscal paradise, so, warning !

when looking at the utopian dream in another thread about someone wanting to bitcoin grab all bitcoins to make a bitcoin island. and then seeing this proposal.. i choose this proposal any day.

many millionaires moving their pound coins into the bitcoin ecosphere and all the shops and businesses on isle of man being bitcoin friendly (eventually).

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 06:38:30 PM

i think its great  Wink

more will follow.

john641

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 10:47:57 AM

The Isle of Man is a well known offshore banking sector and it is my belief that this announcement basically states that IOM intends to be a leading hub for Bitcoin. So, good news...

TsuyokuNaritai

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 12:10:21 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2gl71a/isle_of_man_withdraws_financial_services_support/  Angry

HarmonLi

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 12:22:57 PM

I don't get why they did this... I mean this screams 'failure'... :/ This is horrible news, where have we come to if even such a Pro-Bitcoin country decides to drop the support for it? At least the price didn't tank that hard...

AriceInWonderland

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 01:41:13 PM

It was even in the local newspaper these days https://i.imgur.com/oguxWY5.jpg
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 12:13:55 PM

Wow, they are serious. I do hope this gets traction. The UK banks are hostile to bitcoin. This could be good.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 12:59:29 PM

I hope this is just the start.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2014, 01:04:02 PM

Wow, they are serious. I do hope this gets traction. The UK banks are hostile to bitcoin. This could be good.

And it seems so are many of the Manx banks (probably mainly IoM branches of UK banks but still).

But the cryptosphere simply has to weather hostility from the banking sector - what else did we realistically mostly expect? Cryptocurrency and blockchain technology is their kryptonite so they aren't likely to be welcoming it with open arms, much as I think it is still profitable for well-managed banks to profit with crypto just like they always have with gold. Although I won't forget the "seen a ghost" reaction when I casually wandered into a Commonwealth Bank branch in North Melbourne (Victoria, Australia) asking if I could exchange my wad of $100 bills for gold bullion! Cheesy

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2014, 01:09:08 PM

With hash cloud on top... Cool Cool

grifferz

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 09:00:12 PM

I don't get why they did this... I mean this screams 'failure'... :/ This is horrible news, where have we come to if even such a Pro-Bitcoin country decides to drop the support for it? At least the price didn't tank that hard...
I would speculate that UK banks told them to stop allowing Faster Payments from UK customers to their Bitcoin clients unless they want to lose FP entirely.
Jeramom

Activity: 19

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:09:23 PM

Damn, I wish I could come up with a Bitcoin business to take them up on the offer. I was in the Isle of man this weekend and it's a nice place.
BratinSbazhin

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 06:06:01 AM

Does "Other Digital Currencies" include Cryptonote coins?
gonnafly

Activity: 53
Merit: 12

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 02:53:09 PM

Does "Other Digital Currencies" include Cryptonote coins?

I know of at least one startup in the island that's working with a bunch of different cryptocurrencies.
GTA

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 03:11:45 PM

The Isle of Man is a well known offshore banking sector and it is my belief that this announcement basically states that IOM intends to be a leading hub for Bitcoin. So, good news...

The Isle of Man is a well known tax haven. I suspect this statement is to make it appear they are conforming to anti-money laundering regimes, while in practice they will be much more casual about it.
bambino

Activity: 111

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 03:55:58 PM

How are they trying to control digital currencies? Poor choice of words.
They are creating legal frameworks for digital currency businesses.
Robin_Good

Activity: 140

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 04:25:52 PM

How are they trying to control digital currencies? Poor choice of words.
They are creating legal frameworks for digital currency businesses.

Yeah, this is a pretty poor choice of headlines. The officials involved understand they can't actually control the digital currencies themselves. I've been tangentially involved in the growing Bitcoin scene on the island, and in my opinion the government has been (at least paying lip service toward) doing a shockingly good job at walking the line between being as hands off as possible to make sure innovation flourishes while trying to set up a framework to make sure banks are willing to work with Bitcoin companies and customers are protected.

logger

Activity: 138

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 04:54:48 PM

Isle of Man is also home to PokerStars. With regulation around online gaming with respect to banking, I would not be surprised to see the make a move in this sector. I'm not specifically talking about offering Poker to USA either, just in general.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: