Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:39:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Our cash stuck in Argentina following currency exchange restrictions  (Read 7397 times)
jago25_98 (OP)

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2012, 01:24:59 PM

Following up on the conversations on Iran and Bitcoin.

A girlfriend and I are hoping to move together to Europe from Argentina. I'm from Europe.

She has savings in a bank account here which is well in excess of what the tax authorities allow her to convert. This is also devaluing at about 25% a year.

Typically what people here do to avoid this is:

- take cash to a neighbouring country and exchange it there
- buy things like property and even cars

However, the first is not a good option because there is a limit of $10,000 and also carrying and storing this is a risk too.

How do we get this cash out of the country?

At first I thought I could sell her something in a different currency outside the country via a webcart checkout and credit card.
Add item "Being a great boyfriend for a year" and x5.
 But the problem with this is that the transaction will be routed through the central bank of Argentina and they convert and reconvert the currency - double conversion costs. This would be in addition to a ~4% Google Checkout fee. The other problem is that the transaction is logged to her account. If I go unverified with Paypal, Moneybookers or Google Checkout then I can have some anonimity but I've heard so many horror stories of unverfied accounts on these services. Is this worry justified? It shouldn't be a problem for someone who isn't intending to visit Argentina.

The next one I thought of was just to buy a load of gold here. But then we're coming into Europe with a stash of gold and that looks dodgy as heck.

Chile is close, which was where tradehill was based... shame.

The second way of spending the cash on something could be an idea but I can't think of many things that are liquid (easy to sell) this way. It's not enough for a house but is enough for a car...

Ideas?
Regards marrying if you must bring it up... It's a complicated one. Aside from the emotional side of that, for me there's an element of marrying into a country and I don't want be associated with Argentina in that sense as this has knock-on effects. Worldwide taxation is just one example.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 01:42:22 PM

You can buy bitcoins with local currency and take them out of the country.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 05:17:05 PM

Gosh, if only there were some kind of digital currency that you could buy that wouldn't be subjected to all those conversion fees, and that could be transferred to someone in Europe nearly instantly.  That would be neat.

Mousepotato
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2012, 05:20:38 PM

Gosh, if only there were some kind of digital currency that you could buy that wouldn't be subjected to all those conversion fees, and that could be transferred to someone in Europe nearly instantly.  That would be neat.

Or that you could easily store on a USB stick. Sigh. If only there was such a thing.

Still around.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 06:29:29 PM

This thread is hilarious.

Is there no way to buy Bitcoins with her money?  You mention Tradehill, which makes me think you've already thought about the Bitcoin route, which makes me think that there aren't any exchanges currently accepting whatever currency Argentinians use.
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 06:37:34 PM

Is there no way to buy Bitcoins with her money?  You mention Tradehill, which makes me think you've already thought about the Bitcoin route, which makes me think that there aren't any exchanges currently accepting whatever currency Argentinians use.

Hilarious is that you cannot read the whole thread properly, see my post on #2.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 06:50:00 PM
Last edit: March 08, 2012, 09:13:54 PM by Otoh

yep, seems rather obvious, find a miner in Argentina or a nearby country that has costs in the local currency & is happy to exchange BTC for it, preferably on an ongoing basis until all your GF's stash of Pesos has been liberated, I'd be interested to hear how you get on with that & as I expect there's a demand for this, how much over the current Mt.Gox exchange rate you will have to pay

plus if I ever visit Argentina which is quite possible as I have free accommodations there from contacts, then I would look in to the demand for BTC & perhaps fund my local living/ traveling around costs by exchanging for Pesos

alternatively if you have the facilities & moderate electricity costs there then to start mining yourself until the above has been achieved, failing both those then I would buy 1 or 2 (more if you plan to visit regularly) high end collectable numismatic or philately items say which would be much more anonymous when traveling or sending than a couple of kilos of gold - perhaps a classic make high end antique piece of jewelery that she could just wear or second hand premium watch each from reputable dealers once you've researched the resale values where ever you plan to sell - there's a bunch of really good quality prestige antiques in Argentina from when it was one of the wealthiest countries in the world (if not the wealthiest - certainly was in the Americas) just a few generations ago - a lot of these now being sold off cheap due to ongoing total universal corruption there fucking everything up economy wise

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 07:05:08 PM

Hilarious is that you cannot read the whole thread properly, see my post on #2.
I already read the whole thread before posting.  You didn't make mention of any exchanges that currently accept whatever currency is used in Argentina.  Saying "You can buy bitcoins with local currency" doesn't explain how or where this might take place.  For all I know, you could have been referring to just finding someone else in the country who uses Bitcoins and is looking to buy more than $10,000 worth of them.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 07:07:54 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2012, 07:37:24 PM by Otoh

also see this thread re buying BTC with Brazilian Reais

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=26608.0;topicseen

looks like there's about a 5% mark up at a quick glance

edit, scanning the rest of the thread - fee is now 9% also see last post where it can be done in person in Rio I believe

LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 08:20:04 PM

Pull the cash out slowly, so as not to alert the authorities that you are emptying the account. Convert the cash into US$ traveler's cheques at your local American Express office. Have traveler's cheques mailed to you in Europe via FedEx, insured for full value as "valuable documents". Rinse and repeat.

Or convert the entire account into a US$ denominated account. Use this account to buy btc on any of the exchanges. Leave, and convert them back into Euros once in Europe.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 09:08:24 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2012, 10:00:45 PM by Otoh

that's way easier & LG has deep respect here for his insight, I'd totally go with those options, I just asked the Argentinian friend who's place I'm looking after how he or the peeps he knew would go about it & he couldn't come up with any useful methods - "it's really complicated" etc... (he is an artist though who left decades ago), but he did emphasize that you'd be best doing this soonest as it looks like they're fast headed to yet another economic devastation due to the ongoing completely endemic corruption there

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 09:31:45 PM

Perhaps you can find a counterparty to a trade through:
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_Argentina

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

jago25_98 (OP)

Activity: 900

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 12:50:23 PM

thanks for the ideas. We have a potential exchange partner now in argentina at 4%.

Other options included gold and sending from uruguay($60), both of these cheaper and she'll trust this more. Personally i don't trust the rate that much too.

Now the problem is the other end. If i accept a payment i could be taxed at 20%. I can't see a place selling gold for bitcoin in europe. Unverified accounts such as paypal,skrill etc have a tendancy to be closed randomly and aren't fsa covered should the company go bust or make a mistake.
Another way could be buying mining equipment but she won't understand that and she'll put it down as one of my madcap ideas. We don't have anywhere to plug it in anyway.

The other one of course is keep the funds here and investing. This could be a good idea But then it's a matter of finding land cheap enough.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 03:50:29 AM

The old Soviet Union route was converting all your money to diamonds. You can just buy a whole bunch of diamond rings, bracelets, or whatever. Downside is you'll sell them for likely quite a bit less than what you bought them for. In Soviet Russia, some even resorted to stuffing the diamonds into baby watermelons, letting the melons heal and grow up, and then just smuggling a whole bunch of REALLY expensive watermelons.
Aggro
Donator

Activity: 296

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 07:27:36 PM

Following up on the conversations on Iran and Bitcoin.

A girlfriend and I are hoping to move together to Europe from Argentina. I'm from Europe.

She has savings in a bank account here which is well in excess of what the tax authorities allow her to convert. This is also devaluing at about 25% a year.

Typically what people here do to avoid this is:

- take cash to a neighbouring country and exchange it there
- buy things like property and even cars

However, the first is not a good option because there is a limit of $10,000 and also carrying and storing this is a risk too.

How do we get this cash out of the country?

At first I thought I could sell her something in a different currency outside the country via a webcart checkout and credit card.
Add item "Being a great boyfriend for a year" and x5.
 But the problem with this is that the transaction will be routed through the central bank of Argentina and they convert and reconvert the currency - double conversion costs. This would be in addition to a ~4% Google Checkout fee. The other problem is that the transaction is logged to her account. If I go unverified with Paypal, Moneybookers or Google Checkout then I can have some anonimity but I've heard so many horror stories of unverfied accounts on these services. Is this worry justified? It shouldn't be a problem for someone who isn't intending to visit Argentina.

The next one I thought of was just to buy a load of gold here. But then we're coming into Europe with a stash of gold and that looks dodgy as heck.

Chile is close, which was where tradehill was based... shame.

The second way of spending the cash on something could be an idea but I can't think of many things that are liquid (easy to sell) this way. It's not enough for a house but is enough for a car...

Ideas?
Regards marrying if you must bring it up... It's a complicated one. Aside from the emotional side of that, for me there's an element of marrying into a country and I don't want be associated with Argentina in that sense as this has knock-on effects. Worldwide taxation is just one example.

• Find a local bitcoin exchanger (preferably) that will do exchanges person to person. I know there are some in Buenos Aires. Take the cash to them and buy coins. They will be a fee of course.
  • Leave your coins in cold storage. Preferably a paper wallet you generated offline.
  • MOVE out of Argentinanistan (as a friend of mine from there calls it, no offense intended Smiley )
  • Once you arrive to your destination, exchange your coins back to fiat. Exchange only what you need, save the rest in BTC.

Side note about Argentina: I have many dear friends from there. It is an absolute shame what has become of that country, once a world power.

rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 11:38:53 AM

Maybe next month I can help you. It would be great to visit Argentina too!
sethsethseth

Activity: 257

Not trusting third parties with my private keys

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 05:42:10 PM

If I were to move to Buenos Aires for a while, what kind of markup can I get for selling BTC for living expenses? 

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 11:53:59 AM

If you want to exchange for bitcoins try to exchange them back to fiat as soon as possible because (don't keep the BTC for more than a week), as you probably know, until quite recently 25% was how much BTC's value could change in a day, not a year like with your Argentinian pesos.

Signature space available for rent.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 12:50:59 PM

Just go for a gangsta gold chain to pass a couple of kilos across any customs.

Just avoid this:
sethsethseth

Activity: 257

Not trusting third parties with my private keys

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 04:21:21 AM

But employees at currency exchange houses in downtown Buenos Aires say approvals have become more difficult recently, and only about one in 10 Argentines is now getting tax agency authorization to buy dollars. Many have turned to so-called "exchange caves," where the free market price, known as the blue rate, tops 5.50 pesos to the dollar, 23 per cent more than the official rate. The spread between the two markets has widened sharply since the government controls began.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/article/84794--black-market-emerges-in-argentina-as-government-imposes-currency-controls

Looks like 23% markup according to this article.  I wonder if bitcoins could get a similar rate.  I get my wages paid into a foreign bank account so I could just transfer it onto Intersango, buy bitcoins, and sell them for a markup.  Seems like bitcoins should be worth even more than USD because its easier to take them across borders.

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: