Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 08:32:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ==== Eligius, please pay my 200+ BTC ====  (Read 12592 times)
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 11:19:33 AM

if((sharesSubmitted > xxxxxxx) && (blocksFound < x)){
// notify pool ops to monitor that account
}
just a thought, I don't know if this will work or not but I don't see the reason why not, to at least notify you in such case.
The problem with an accounting method like that is that it can be subverted by a variation of what is called the Sybil attack. You just create new accounts every time you contributed xxxxxxx-1 shares. Because variation has to be reduced significantly to reduce the false positive rate for the "watchdog", xxxxxxx needs to be sufficiently large. An intelligent hacker will use a RNG to make it impossible to distinguish himself from small scale miners. The block withholding attack is not something which can be realistically defeated by statistical analysis.

The long term trajectory is that pools will eventually have to go the KYC route to limit their exposure to WBAs. The WBA is really an attack on the economics of decentralization, but not in the way you think it is.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 06:43:32 AM

The long term trajectory is that pools will eventually have to go the KYC route to limit their exposure to WBAs. The WBA is really an attack on the economics of decentralization, but not in the way you think it is.

I think it is an attack on the economics of decentralization.  Are there more than one way this is true?
Decreasing the "luck" of the pool to get more to join a "luckier" pool increases centralization (and also the effectiveness of this attack).

It is a kin to dumping a product to market under cost to get market share.
The WBA gets nothing for a lost resource to increase the market share of the luckier competitors.

if only there is a way to send a known winning nonce to each suspicious miner to verify they are WBA, you would have incontrovertible proof in the monotoring.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:14:50 PM

Does block withdraw method work against p2pool?

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:15:55 PM

You mean block withholding.
Yes, it does.
It's actually worse there because nobody can stop it.

Legov

Activity: 244
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:35:56 PM

But in p2pool the attacker automatically does not get any payout.
Right?

“It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and money system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” Henry Ford, founder of the Ford Motor Company.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:41:35 PM

But in p2pool the attacker automatically does not get any payout.
Right?
Sure he does. He could even 51% attack p2pool to get up to ~200% PPS (at the expense of everyone else).

Legov

Activity: 244
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:55:51 PM

It's my mistake.
If an attacker withholds blocks but transmits shares he gets payouts for the shares. Just in p2pool.

“It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and money system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” Henry Ford, founder of the Ford Motor Company.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 08:59:45 PM

It's my mistake.
If an attacker withholds blocks but transmits shares he gets payouts for the shares. Just in p2pool.

In every pool.  Not just p2pool.  That's the whole concept behind a block withholding attack: the attacker submits shares that are counted towards payouts, but if a share would satisfy the BTC block, that share is not submitted, and therefore, the block is not solved and no 25BTC reward.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
RealMalatesta
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:27:47 PM

Maybe a dumb question: If a share is not valid at pool "A", would it also be invalid at pool "B"?
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:16:04 PM

You mean block withholding.
Yes, it does.
It's actually worse there because nobody can stop it.

Withholding yes. Thank you.

psahx

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:32:47 PM

Sure he does. He could even 51% attack p2pool to get up to ~200% PPS (at the expense of everyone else).

Could you please explain a 51% p2pool attack in more detail? I mean, lot of people believe, that p2pool is the most decentralized mining option available, and you state, that a 51% attack could be done to p2pool?
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 01:30:51 AM

Could you please explain a 51% p2pool attack in more detail? I mean, lot of people believe, that p2pool is the most decentralized mining option available, and you state, that a 51% attack could be done to p2pool?

p2pool is like a miniature Bitcoin blockchain.  If you had 51% of the p2pool hash rate, you could (more often than not) force your own shares into the sharechain instead of someone elses by forking it until your chain was longer.  I'm not sure what, if any, precautions are present in p2pool to prevent somebody from purposely forking the sharechain in their favor.

An "obvious" one would be making it so nodes ignore a forked chain more than 'X' shares deep, if it all pays out to the same address (indicating somebody forked from the chain to build a longer one that only pays themselves), though all that you'd have to do to combat that is cycle through addresses when making your fork.

In other words, p2pool users would be mining a block which pays almost the entire reward to the attacker, even though they've only done 51% of the actual work.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
psahx

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 01:43:07 AM

p2pool is like a miniature Bitcoin blockchain.  If you had 51% of the p2pool hash rate, you could (more often than not) force your own shares into the sharechain instead of someone elses by forking it until your chain was longer.  I'm not sure what, if any, precautions are present in p2pool to prevent somebody from purposely forking the sharechain in their favor.

An "obvious" one would be making it so nodes ignore a forked chain more than 'X' shares deep, if it all pays out to the same address (indicating somebody forked from the chain to build a longer one that only pays themselves), though all that you'd have to do to combat that is cycle through addresses when making your fork.

In other words, p2pool users would be mining a block which pays almost the entire reward to the attacker, even though they've only done 51% of the actual work.

Hmm, that makes sense to me. So, there is no way of fighting against mining centralization? I thought p2pool is a decent solution...

Thanks eleuthria
crashoveride54902

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

Dream become broken often

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 01:45:28 AM

Hmm, that makes sense to me. So, there is no way of fighting against mining centralization? I thought p2pool is a decent solution...

Thanks eleuthria

not really...in the end, big money will centralize it whether we want it to happen or not...unless the btc coders force them to decentralize idk

Dreams of cyprto solving everything is slowly slipping away...Replaced by scams/hacks Sad
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 01:54:13 AM

Thanks eleuthria

I'm unable to think of a way to fix this problem, it's essentially the same problem as Bitcoin itself has when it comes to a 51% attack.  If p2pool did something like limit the size of a sharechain re-org to only so many shares deep, it would work most of the time, but it would fail if there was ever any major communication issues between countries, essentially forking p2pool into multiple p2pools because they would refuse to come back to a consensus.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
DumDumz

Activity: 126

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 02:04:34 AM

He tried something, he got caught,now he owes 400 BTC and is trying to refocus the discussion away from that fact.

Hunterbunter

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 03:29:16 AM

The difference is a 51% attack on the p2pool chain would be immediately obvious to all miners monitoring it - p2pool finds a block, but no payment is made since the attacker has substituted their own btc addresses into the sharechain, instead of the legitimate miners.

In this event, I imagine miners would just jump ship, if a better solution isn't implemented by then. Until then, though, it still has its advantages.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 04:27:59 AM

Sure, there's getblocktemplate, a decentralised client-server mining protocol.
Basically all the positives of p2pool without the negatives.
Just needs more time to finish implementing it...

The difference is a 51% attack on the p2pool chain would be immediately obvious to all miners monitoring it - p2pool finds a block, but no payment is made since the attacker has substituted their own btc addresses into the sharechain, instead of the legitimate miners.

In this event, I imagine miners would just jump ship, if a better solution isn't implemented by then. Until then, though, it still has its advantages.
Just like all the miners jumped ship from Arsbitcoin when it forked off the blockchain? Or when it shutdown?
Or like when they jumped ship when 0.8-based pools forked off the main bitcoin blockchain?
Or like when they jumped ship from Deepbit when it stopped mining valid blocks?

Sadly, most miners don't pay attention.

Hunterbunter

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 05:05:30 AM

Sure, there's getblocktemplate, a decentralised client-server mining protocol.
Basically all the positives of p2pool without the negatives.
Just needs more time to finish implementing it...

Just like all the miners jumped ship from Arsbitcoin when it forked off the blockchain? Or when it shutdown?
Or like when they jumped ship when 0.8-based pools forked off the main bitcoin blockchain?
Or like when they jumped ship from Deepbit when it stopped mining valid blocks?

Sadly, most miners don't pay attention.

Maybe a marginal number don't pay attention, but enough do. In this event, the block chain is still uncompromised and only P2Pool is naffed.
DumDumz

Activity: 126

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 02:53:50 AM

He tried something, he got caught,now he owes 400 BTC and is trying to refocus the discussion away from that fact.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: