Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:12:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero Support  (Read 82923 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 12:30:59 AM

I couldn't find a seednode list, so I ran without giving an exclusive node, but with "--out-peers 1 --p2p-bind-ip 127.0.0.1" with good success.

That's a good approach. If one node gets stuck or fails it should usually switch to another one. Depending on the network of the chosen peer, it might be slow, but should retain the bandwidth-efficiency of picking a specific node while being more reliable (good for unattended syncing).

I don't ever recommend limit-rate-down unless you are trying to reserve some of your own connection for some reason (video streaming, VOIP, etc.). It won't reduce your bandwidth usage, only make things take longer.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2211
Merit: 3178

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 12:08:35 PM

I couldn't find a seednode list, so I ran without giving an exclusive node, but with "--out-peersá 1 --p2p-bind-ip 127.0.0.1" with good success.

That's a good approach. If one node gets stuck or fails it should usually switch to another one. Depending on the network of the chosen peer, it might be slow, but should retain the bandwidth-efficiency of picking a specific node while being more reliable (good for unattended syncing).

I don't ever recommend limit-rate-down unless you are trying to reserve some of your own connection for some reason (video streaming, VOIP, etc.). It won't reduce your bandwidth usage, only make things take longer.

But would you for example recommend the below? I assumed it basically sets the allowed bandwidth (upload & download) to unlimited:
Code:
./bitmonerod --limit-rate 128000

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 12:20:21 PM

I couldn't find a seednode list, so I ran without giving an exclusive node, but with "--out-peersá 1 --p2p-bind-ip 127.0.0.1" with good success.

But would you for example recommend the below? I assumed it basically sets the allowed bandwidth (upload & download) to unlimited:
Code:
./bitmonerod --limit-rate 128000

Limiting the upstream bandwidth is perfectly valid because you are deciding how much of your resources to contribute to syncing other nodes. We can't force people to participate at all, so if someone only wants to provide a small amount of bandwidth, that is certainly better than nothing.

Setting the down limit or the combined limits to some arbitrarily high number is fine if that's what you want to do. I don't remember if there is some other way to disable the limits.
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 02:46:43 AM

I downloaded this:
 http://downloads.getmonero.org/win64
 to set up simplewallet.  It was simple, so I decided to try to sync the blockchain to see if I could run a node, despite my minimal connection.
  (-disclaimer- CLI illiterate)
I opened bitmonerod, and everything started reasonably smoothly, but stalled,
 Sync data returned unknown top block 26801.
  After a few restarts, it gained some ground, but for 24 hours and numerous restarts has not passed 57001.  
  what exactly should I input to get it moving again, or should I give up until I get to a better connection?  I figured it would be slow, but zero progress for 24hr+ is not worth the drain on my available bandwidth.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 02:54:35 AM

Try adding "--out-peers 1 --p2p-bind-ip 127.0.0.1" to the bitmonerod command line

But if your bandwidth is really that bad, or your computer that slow, it may not help much. Give it a try and see.

You can use the "status" command to see whether it is making progress.
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 03:02:53 AM

Try adding "--out-peers 1 --p2p-bind-ip 127.0.0.1" to the bitmonerod command line

But if your bandwidth is really that bad, or your computer that slow, it may not help much. Give it a try and see.

result:

unknown command: --out-peers 1 --p2p-bind-ip 127.0.0.1

displays command list

EDIT: 
tried "out_peers 1 p2p_bind_ip 127.0.0.1"

result: max number of out peers set to 1

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 03:26:58 AM

result:

displays command list

EDIT: 

You have to put it on the command line when you start it, for example:

BITMONEROD.EXE --out-peers 1 --p2p-bind-ip 127.0.0.1
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 03:42:20 AM

result:

displays command list

EDIT:  

I start by clicking on bitmonerod in the folder I saved it in.  It runs.  I do not know another way.
My last DOS experience was 30 years ago in highscool.  Trust me, anything I learned has been overwritten since then  Tongue
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 03:43:54 AM

result:

displays command list

EDIT:  

I start by clicking on bitmonerod in the folder I saved it in.  It runs.  I do not know another way.
My last DOS experience was 30 years ago in highscool.  Trust me, anything I learned has been overwritten since then  Tongue

Your DOS experience is about equal to my Windows knowledge. Isn't there something you can do with right click and properties to set a command line on an icon? Maybe it has to be a shortcut?

Windows experts please help....
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 03:50:19 AM

result:

displays command list

EDIT:  

Your DOS experience is about equal to my Windows knowledge. Isn't there something you can do with right click and properties to set a command line on an icon? Maybe it has to be a shortcut?

Windows experts please help....

Google I can do...

start,  search 'command prompt'

bingo

moving on...
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 03:59:03 AM
Last edit: March 10, 2016, 04:21:18 AM by explorer

sigh...

'bitmonerod.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.'

Perhaps something to do with where it is filed, not that that hepls me. hopefully a windblows expert will make sense of it and get me going.  Or back to the original plan of wait til I get a new SSD for my languishing PC and learn Linux.

EDIT:

on a hunch, prefixed the whole location of the file, and your instructions took, but I think I am dealing with just a shitty connection.

'warning: no 2 valid moneropulse DNS checkpoint records were recieved'
this has been the case from the very first, but didn't seem to impede progress from the start.

EDIT 2:

increasing set_log level  ill advised, as posted earlier  Cheesy
Progress is being made!

Thanks Smooth!
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2016, 04:03:43 AM

sigh...

'bitmonerod.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.'

Perhaps something to do with where it is filed, not that that hepls me. hopefully a windblows expert will make sense of it and get me going.  Or back to the original plan of wait til I get a new SSD for my languishing PC and learn Linux.

aight... i made a set of images for this once.... u on IRC? u should really hop on IRC.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2016, 04:08:02 AM

sigh...

Perhaps something to do with where it is filed, not that that hepls me. hopefully a windblows expert will make sense of it and get me going.  Or back to the original plan of wait til I get a new SSD for my languishing PC and learn Linux.

aight... i made a set of images for this once.... u on IRC? u should really hop on IRC.

ok, thats what it is. I'm assuming that you just typed in "cmd" in the start menu or something. You need to get to where your files are. cmd from the start duumps you... well i dunno where.

So the easiest way - on your desktop, open up your folder with bitmonerod in it. All the happy icons.

Now, in the bar at the top, under the menu (where it shows your location, something like " This PC > folder X > folder Y", click in their and delete the whole thing. It should highlight and allow you to just start typing. now type

cmd

and hit enter.

this will dump you into a terminal in your folder with bitmonerod. The commands bitmonerod.exe --flag value that you used above should now work.

alternatively, you can start from wherever the start menu entry of "cmd" dumps you and navigate from there. In windows/dos, the command dir shows the directory of wherever you currently are, and the command cd means change directory.

so if you  cmd from the start menu dumps you at c:\windows\system32\

so you would type cd / , and this would take you to just the C: drive (the lowest level directory).

now you would type dir , and this would give you a list of directories. I think the desktop files are in users \ name \ desktop , so you would type

cd Users
cd Myusername
cd Desktop

but as you can see, its probably easier to dump into the directory you want from the GUI.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 04:18:09 AM

sigh...

ok, thats what it is. I'm assuming that you just typed in "cmd" in the start menu or something. You need to get to where your files are. cmd from the start duumps you... well i dunno where.

So the easiest way - on your desktop, open up your folder with bitmonerod in it. All the happy icons.

Now, in the bar at the top, under the menu (where it shows your location, something like " This PC > folder X > folder Y", click in their and delete the whole thing. It should highlight and allow you to just start typing. now type

cmd

and hit enter.

this will dump you into a terminal in your folder with bitmonerod. The commands bitmonerod.exe --flag value that you used above should now work.

alternatively, you can start from wherever the start menu entry of "cmd" dumps you and navigate from there. In windows/dos, the command dir shows the directory of wherever you currently are, and the command cd means change directory.

so if you  cmd from the start menu dumps you at c:\windows\system32\

so you would type cd / , and this would take you to just the C: drive (the lowest level directory).

now you would type dir , and this would give you a list of directories. I think the desktop files are in users \ name \ desktop , so you would type

cd Users
cd Myusername
cd Desktop

but as you can see, its probably easier to dump into the directory you want from the GUI.

Thank you for all of that, but I seem to have it moving again (see edits above) We'll see if it KEEPS moving...
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 06:24:34 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2016, 06:43:44 AM by explorer

I had thought it was like the Titanic.  Unsyncable.  
But...  with perseverance,  and strategically placed icebergs (cubes) and no small amount of vodka,
In 3.....2......1......

Synced!

Now can I get it to mine?

Thank you Smooth and GingerAle for getting this going, and jwinterm for the kick in the pants to attempt it at all!
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 06:43:23 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2016, 07:09:52 AM by explorer

Mining started woo-hoo!
 Very exciting, nearly 2 years after my first attempt Tongue

Question:  how many threads is optimum? What's more important, equipment or connection?

Edit:

Mining at 9 10 12 H/s Cheesy
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 07:15:49 AM

Mining started woo-hoo!

Question:  how many threads is optimum?

Usually your cache size divided by 2 MB.

What's more important, equipment or connection?

Both.

Solo mining XMR is very much a long shot. Think of it like a raffle. Maybe someday you will get some free coins, usually you won't. The main advantage of it is helping the network, so it is definitely encouraged.

If you want to get a small (to very small) amount of coins quickly then pool mining is better. I you want more coins it is better to buy them.

explorer
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 07:19:59 AM

Mining started woo-hoo!

Question:  how many threads is optimum?

Both.

Solo mining XMR is very much a long shot. Think of it like a raffle. Maybe someday you will get some free coins, usually you won't. The main advantage of it is helping the network, so it is definitely encouraged.

If you want to get a small (to very small) amount of coins quickly then pool mining is better. I you want more coins it is better to buy them.

Just adding my minuscule bit to the network, not concerned with the reward, so solo is fine.  
how do I adjust the thread count? running 1 has zero notable effect on my system, so might as well up it?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 07:34:40 AM

Mining started woo-hoo!

Question:  how many threads is optimum?

Both.

Just adding my minuscule bit to the network, not concerned with the reward, so solo is fine. 
how do I adjust the thread count? running 1 has zero notable effect on my system, so might as well up it?

how are you starting mining.

If you are starting it in simplewallet, you can add a thread count after the command. For example:

start_mining 2

If you start it on the bitmonerod command line with "--start-mining address" then you can add "--mining-threads thread-count"
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 07:27:57 AM

how are you starting mining.

If you are starting it in simplewallet, you can add a thread count after the command. For example:

start_mining 2

If you start it on the bitmonerod command line with "--start-mining address" then you can add "--mining-threads thread-count"

I will play with that. thanks.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: