Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:04:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin not decentralized anymore?  (Read 6914 times)
ChuckOne (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 10:09:28 AM

Hi guys,

I am somewhat worried. This could lead to a extremely bad perception of the cryptocurrencies.

http://lorddoig.svbtle.com/fork-now-and-fork-hard
http://hackingdistributed.com/2014/06/13/time-for-a-hard-bitcoin-fork/

What is the plan?

Chuck
chaosPT

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 10:17:12 AM

They are most likely rumors , nothing do to with the price no worry .
ChuckOne (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 10:21:34 AM

I care about perception right now. Smiley

If the crypto community tells the world: we have Bitcoin because it is decentralized (unlike banks) and in reality it is not, we will look like crooks.
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 10:22:18 AM

It is fact not rumor that GHash reach 51%.

Something needs to be done about this.  Currently, bitcoin is neither centralized or decentalized.  It is some kind of hybrid with the worst of both worlds: slower decision making because of the lack of central authority and yet one organisation is powerful enough to destroy it.
eid

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 10:27:18 AM

If you'd read the links, you'd know that they are not rumours, but calls for a solution to the problem of the centralisation of mining.

LiteCoinUser84

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 10:45:24 AM

Agreed these rumours are a very real threat and one that needs to be dealt with. Bitcoin is no longer decentralised in answer to your question. Anyone that tells you it is needs to check the OED on definitions of decentralisation.
ChuckOne (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 11:21:09 AM

Agreed these rumours are a very real threat and one that needs to be dealt with. Bitcoin is no longer decentralised in answer to your question. Anyone that tells you it is needs to check the OED on definitions of decentralisation.

Undecided

I do not like that.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 11:34:58 AM

There isn't much that we can do except hope that the devs have some workable solution to the problem in the long term and pray that GHash doesn't do anything illogical that could jeopardise the price. There has been lots of speculation of double spends and the likes but at the moment there hasn't been any concrete evidence of abuse so we haven't had a price crash yet.
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:05:19 PM

Ghash is back to 33%, you can go back to sleep now, nothing to see here.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:24:21 PM

They are hiding their real power.

I think the 51% we witnessed was a demonstration of power. I do not know for what reason.

They could have blocked miners as to keep their hash rates down as they did before, but they didn't.

I would say that GHash has MUCH more than 51%.

That being said, I do have some of my miners pointed at them.

EDIT: On the subject, NO, I don't believe that BTC is decentralized anymore.
In fact, the fact that we depend on the core dev team for anything means it is centralized, and from what I understand the core dev team is under the TBF orders.
Apart from that BTC mining is completely centralized.
Stevbenson

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:33:08 PM

I think the 51% we witnessed was a demonstration of power. I do not know for what reason.

They could have blocked miners as to keep their hash rates down as they did before, but they didn't.

In fact, the fact that we depend on the core dev team for anything means it is centralized, and from what I understand the core dev team is under the TBF orders.

WTF man! You think they have over 51% and you still point miners at them... Where is your logic?!?
S4VV4S

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:39:53 PM

WTF man! You think they have over 51% and you still point miners at them... Where is your logic?!?

Think about it, if they have more than 51% what is 720Gh going to do if I remove it from them?
720Gh means jack shit for hashing power. Apart from that I would like to at least get my investment back (which I didn't yet).
I also have more than that on other pools - I don't like to keep all my eggs in one basket Wink
BLKMined

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:47:35 PM

BTCitcoin is still 'decentralized' but it's centralized in a sense that exchanges/mining pools, etc can control it somewhat by being dishonest so, where not ever going to be 100% stress-free in a world where MEN are greedy 0r become greedy!
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:55:23 PM

Hi guys,

I am somewhat worried. This could lead to a extremely bad perception of the cryptocurrencies.

http://lorddoig.svbtle.com/fork-now-and-fork-hard
http://hackingdistributed.com/2014/06/13/time-for-a-hard-bitcoin-fork/

What is the plan?

Chuck

Current state:
GHash:  41%
Discus Fish: 14%
Unknown: 22%
etc

Bitcoin market price has always been a rollercoaster, see https://blockchain.info/charts/market-price  
I see a tiny uptrend on the end, with a little bit of luck we'll soon be at $800  Smiley

As for forks or altcoins, there are tons of them.. bitcoin has the largest market share tho;

PL_CoinTrader

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 01:27:23 PM

Short noob question: If there were a (small) double spend attack when would people realize that this has happened? Respectively can double spend attacks be hidden for a longer period of time?

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 02:15:33 PM

The question should be:  is bitcoin decentralized enough?  The fact is when a new block is mined, that miner or pool has  limited control over what transactions get included in that block and subsequent blocks they mine.  Once another miner or pool mines another block, then the previous miner no longer has that limited control.  Also, once a block is mined, it is up to the rest of the network to agree to that broadcast block as the longest chain.  If other nodes on the network find a major problem with a block, then they will likely not accept that as the longest chain.  According to this site:  https://getaddr.bitnodes.io, bitcoin has 7859 nodes in 99 countries.  Nearly all have to agree on the longest chain.  I would call that decentralized enough. 

tldr; Each new block mined is subject to limited attack by the miner who mined it and subsequent blocks that same miner is able to mine.  However, with 7859 nodes in 99 countries, most of whom have to agree on the longest chain, bitcoin is decentralized enough.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
S4VV4S

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 02:24:22 PM

The question should be:  is bitcoin decentralized enough?  The fact is when a new block is mined, that miner or pool has  limited control over what transactions get included in that block and subsequent blocks they mine.  Once another miner or pool mines another block, then the previous miner no longer has that limited control.  Also, once a block is mined, it is up to the rest of the network to agree to that broadcast block as the longest chain.  If other nodes on the network find a major problem with a block, then they will likely not accept that as the longest chain.  According to this site:  https://getaddr.bitnodes.io, bitcoin has 7859 nodes in 99 countries.  Nearly all have to agree on the longest chain.  I would call that decentralized enough. 

tldr; Each new block mined is subject to limited attack by the miner who mined it and subsequent blocks that same miner is able to mine.  However, with 7859 nodes in 99 countries, most of whom have to agree on the longest chain, bitcoin is decentralized enough.

So if I was to setup 8000 nodes would I then be able to disrupt things?
ChuckOne (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 02:37:43 PM

Yeah. Clearly not.
S4VV4S

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 02:40:49 PM

Yeah. Clearly not.

Why not?
ChuckOne (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 02:42:49 PM

Yeah. Clearly not.

Why not?

Because your hashrate counts.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: