Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:29:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Enable user javascript?  (Read 6061 times)
SuperHamster (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 08:59:06 PM

Hey guys - I'm a relatively new editor to the wiki, and would like to work with appropriately tagging images with their appropriate licensing.

By the looks of it, custom user javascript isn't enabled (eg. I can't run https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/User:SuperHamster/vector.js). Any chance we could get it enabled? The custom script I'd run lets me quickly tag images with appropriate licensing. Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:04:20 PM

Everything contributed is Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 licensed.

SuperHamster (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:11:58 PM

Text, yes, but not images (or at least, that's how it should be). The strong majority of images are fully copyrighted and haven't been released under a free license; they should either be tagged as being used under fair use, or deleted if the wiki's policy is to only accept free images (which wouldn't make sense, considering that the nature of most articles requires copyrighted images, such as website screenshots, logos, etc.).

Pretty much every wiki runs this way; their text is freely licensed, but images are independently licensed as needed.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 09:00:06 AM

Text, yes, but not images (or at least, that's how it should be). The strong majority of images are fully copyrighted and haven't been released under a free license; they should either be tagged as being used under fair use, or deleted if the wiki's policy is to only accept free images (which wouldn't make sense, considering that the nature of most articles requires copyrighted images, such as website screenshots, logos, etc.).

Pretty much every wiki runs this way; their text is freely licensed, but images are independently licensed as needed.
I don't see any exception for images.

Pretty sure website screenshots aren't copyrightable.
Similarly, logos may be trademarked, but I don't think copyrighted.

SuperHamster (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 11:43:30 AM
Last edit: June 17, 2014, 03:24:48 PM by SuperHamster

I don't see any exception for images.

Pretty sure website screenshots aren't copyrightable.
Similarly, logos may be trademarked, but I don't think copyrighted.

The wiki states "Content is available under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 unless otherwise noted"; that "otherwise noted" consists of images, and pretty much every wiki functions this way (Wikipedia, Wikias, etc.).

And both screenshots and logos are definitely copyrightable. If the website consists of copyrighted work, so are any screenshots of it, as it's considered a derivative. Same goes for logos, save for the common exception when the logo is something simple, such as text (eg. Sony or Coca-Cola logos).

Edit: If you don't want to take my word for it

But yea, we're digressing; still curious if user javascript could be made an option? Thanks!
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 08:35:24 AM
Last edit: June 22, 2014, 08:54:12 AM by SomeoneWeird

Hey guys - I'm a relatively new editor to the wiki, and would like to work with appropriately tagging images with their appropriate licensing.

By the looks of it, custom user javascript isn't enabled (eg. I can't run https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/User:SuperHamster/vector.js). Any chance we could get it enabled? The custom script I'd run lets me quickly tag images with appropriate licensing. Thanks!

I don't see why not, will talk to the others about it and then maybe get it enabled Smiley
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 09:09:46 AM

But yea, we're digressing; still curious if user javascript could be made an option? Thanks!
I think all major browsers support client-side user javascript these days.
Any reason that wouldn't work for you?

SuperHamster (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 05:23:32 AM

I don't see why not, will talk to the others about it and then maybe get it enabled Smiley

Thank you!

Good idea, and I suppose not, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be available on-wiki. It'll be much easier to run scripts from any computer with it associated with your account.
Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2014, 06:40:12 AM

Thank you!

Good idea, and I suppose not, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be available on-wiki. It'll be much easier to run scripts from any computer with it associated with your account.

I'd be concerned about XSS attacks if user JS was added to the wiki, depending on how it works (I'm not too familiar with wikis). If there's some way to mitigate this, then I don't see a problem with it, though I don't have much authority on the topic.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
SuperHamster (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 09:59:35 PM

Thank you!

I'd be concerned about XSS attacks if user JS was added to the wiki, depending on how it works (I'm not too familiar with wikis). If there's some way to mitigate this, then I don't see a problem with it, though I don't have much authority on the topic.

I was wondering about that...it is an official extension built by Wikimedia, and most other wikis I've been on use it with no problem (namely Wikipedia) so it's pretty well safeguarded, but I don't know any technical details beyond that.
bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 11:23:34 PM

Thank you!

I was wondering about that...it is an official extension built by Wikimedia, and most other wikis I've been on use it with no problem (namely Wikipedia) so it's pretty well safeguarded, but I don't know any technical details beyond that.
You can look at the source code here:
http://svn.organicdesign.co.nz/filedetails.php?repname=extensions&path=%2FJavaScript%2FJavaScript.php
Gisado

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Yoohoo

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 05:34:42 PM

Just using MediaWiki:Common.js is enough for site-wide javascript. Personal script is to be listed at User:{{USERNAME}}/*.js.

(ps. *.js and *.css pages in userspace are protected by the system so the only the user or admins can modify. And all MediaWiki: namespace is protected by mw core, so only admins can edit them. Unrpotection is impossible.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: