Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:16:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: does the bitcoin community trust GHash ?  (Read 2079 times)
falllling (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 04:20:15 AM
Last edit: June 17, 2014, 09:13:10 AM by falllling

Ghash.io: We Will Never Launch a 51% Attack Against Bitcoin, Please just TRUST US
http://www.coindesk.com/ghash-io-never-launch-51-attack/

CEX.IO, the operating exchange for the largest bitcoin mining pool Ghash.io, has issued a new statement to address community concerns regarding the growing amount of the pool’s bitcoin network hashing power, Let's see what did the bitcoin community response:

BitRod

We trusted Gox and look what happened. Why do I have a feeling the next bear market will have something to do with this.

Edward

What a funny statement "We will NEVER launch a 51attack against Bitcoins", You guys are in it for the money. If I do you a offer of $100 million, you will launch that 51attack on Bitcoins, within a nanosecond. If the banks want they can just buy this company, heck it will even make them Bitcoins. If we don't kill this crap of ASIC mining we will find out soon, how it is to restart Bitcoins. People who think that the miners still got incentive not to act crazy, your just a bunch of idiots, it's all about the MONEY, whoever offers more will always WIN.

SikoSoft

Even if that were the case, that isn't good enough.

What if the system is compromised? What if some employee goes rogue? What if some government types swoop in to take advantage of the power and bring Bitcoin to its knees?

Even if *they* might be noble, the fact remains that all that power is in one place, waiting for someone to exploit it.

It doesn't matter how great of a group they might be. The fact remains they are endangering the stability of Bitcoin by accepting this.

In fact, I'd go so far as to sya *anyone* mining on them is jeopardizing the stability of Bitcoin by mining on one of these whales. No fees mean jack shit when the coin crumbles to nothing. Think long term!

Martin Sip

Hard to image that they would claim the opposite: "One day will attack bitcoin with all our powers.

Minors are Morons

Hey Bitcoin! Let;'s all just TRUST THEM ......*face palm*

John Marcus

So basically, just "trust us"? This, even though they were responsible for double-spends on a gambling site last year (by a supposedly 'rogue employee').

Who's to say another 'rogue employee' may do more damage?

SSgt Ruff

Bitcoin's major advertised benefits is that the whole currency is decentralized, never relying on a single bank, payment processor, MTB, mining pool or organization. GH I/O is going to screw over the bitcoin community as a whole in a similar manner that MT GOX manipulated the price of BTC and loss/ stole alot of peoples money. Honestly it scares me as a miner knowning that companies like Cointerra have petahashes worth of mining farms now that at any giving time they could activate and mine for themselves. This is still a very volatile unregulated market people, and all it takes is a single mishap or mistake to discredit a system.

Jimmy Jordan

I bet he was holding a Starbucks cup when he said it.

MichaelRWorthingon

And Mt Gox said "We would never operate as a fractional reserve"

Jess

this ceo needs to meet with a hunting accident. hes blatently ignoring the risk this poses. what if a hacker gains control or a govt?? they need to stay at 30%. realisticly, nobody should go over 20% so no two pools would reach 50%. i dont expect a company that has performed a double spend in the past to care as they clearly show they dont.

Marc C

Attack isn't the only possible abuse when they have full control...

Krogoth Alexander Marc C

Any sort of abuse is viewed as an attack, although.. never trust a human.

Damian Mee

No matter the declarations, once/if they reach 51%, they should be banned from the main network for couple of days. Ban => no profit => more cares to prevent it next time given

Erik Matt

Maybe some people can start do DDOS attack on them ?

MichaelRWorthingon Erik

Yes that would be great...asking them nicely to control their total % isn't working, so hopefully others will do whatever it takes to save bitcoin (and our investments in it).

precaution-not-reaction

BLOCK THEM OFF............NOW!!

FreeJack

You'll forgive me if I don't care to put my faith in the benevolence of CEX.io in holding majority hashrate. It isn't about what you do or don't intend to do with it...it is the risks that it presents that you even HAVE the majority hashrate, to begin with.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not ready to remove the "trustless and decentralized" bullet points from my Bitcoin pitch.

etc...
so in fact, we all know what the truth is,
Does GHash coin worth $5xx? no, the huge crash is coming!
Gingermod

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 04:24:13 AM

No.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:18:59 AM

/thread https://blockchain.info/pools?timespan=24hrs

the next question - does the bitcoin community trust Discus Fish - (answer still no).

And no, crash is not coming.

i am satoshi
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:57:30 AM

We should not be required to trust them.
Next week the HUGE RALLY will be clear to take off.  Smiley

byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 06:58:14 AM

Relax they are back down to 32%.

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:55:15 AM

Bitcoin doesn't want to rely on trust.  If we're trusting them not to do something immoral we have messed up.  Most of the public mining on there hasn't ever heard this interview. Some probably weren't even aware of the issue as they just set their miners and walk away.
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 08:48:00 AM

i think these guys are just worried about expanding their business and making money. they don't seem to get what the point of bitcoin was in the first place.
Glizlack

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 10:05:22 AM

i trust them as much as I trust anybody else with my money, VERY LITTLE. Its up to you to protect yourself!!  I realize in this case there isn't much an individual can do but if your worried limit your exposure. Consider using an exchange that has stop loss orders. I am sure there are other good ways as well.

Steve

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Jean Bax

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 10:38:04 AM

No.

Every "relax" lead to a come back.
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 11:02:31 AM

Why should we have to trust anyone?Huh

Short answer: NO!!!!  Smiley
Hyena
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1013

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 12:39:11 PM

If only Bitcoin was originally created as Peercoin, we would have none of these discussions Sad a part of me even wants all the PoW coins to crash and burn due to 51% issue because then Peercoin would get its chance to shine.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 01:37:09 PM

No... I trust no human nor should you.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 4493

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:25:44 PM

No... I trust no human nor should you.

Indeed.

Trusting human nature is another story though.

Just as it did a several months ago when BTC Guild threatened 51%, and 3 years ago when Deepbit did, human greed took over and miners voluntarily moved to other pools to protect their assets.

This isn't even the first time with Ghash.

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-miners-ditch-ghash-io-pool-51-attack/

Once again they're back to 31%.

No sweat.
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:26:59 PM

"Please just TRUST US"

Sounds about right. This is a huge problem. Trustless currency that is dependent on the goodwill of a centralized entity? Yeah, perfect. Roll Eyes

Krabby

Activity: 644

https://primedao.eth.link/#/

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:51:11 PM

We should not have to trust anybody, this is bitcoin

██████████
                   ████████████
                 ██████████████
               ████████████████
             ██████████████████
██████████           ██████████          ██████████
██████████           █████████           ██████████
██████████           ███████     ██████████████████
██████████████████████████     ████████████████████
████████████████████████     ██████████████████████
██████████████████████     ████████████████████████
████████████████████     ██████████████████████████
██████████████████     ███████           ██████████
██████████           █████████           ██████████
██████████          ██████████           ██████████
                    ██████████████████
                    ████████████████
                    ██████████████
                    ████████████
                    ██████████
PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance
LiteCoinUser84

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:56:49 PM

"Please just TRUST US"

Sounds about right. This is a huge problem. Trustless currency that is dependent on the goodwill of a centralized entity? Yeah, perfect. Roll Eyes

Summed up perfectly.

Not only is it a huge problem theoretically speaking, this problem is on our doorstep right now and yet nothing changes..
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 4493

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 06:29:56 PM

This is a huge problem. Trustless currency that is dependent on the goodwill of a centralized entity?

The only centralized entity Bitcoin depends on is human greed.

No problem.

P.S. You do realize the OP is a troll and this whole thread is a lame attempt at FUD, don't you?
beetcoin

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 06:33:49 PM

No.

Every "relax" lead to a come back.

yeah this is what i was gonna say. always be paranoid when a company has that much potential to control what happens to your assets. i'm always on edge when it comes to something like this. the moment you relax is the moment someone can get aggressive.
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Thug for life!

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:15:12 PM

Apparently, from the looks of things, the bitcoin community DOES trust GHash. And that is a big, big mistake. We'll probably wait for a massive double spend attack to do anything about it....
beetcoin

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:25:50 PM

Apparently, from the looks of things, the bitcoin community DOES trust GHash. And that is a big, big mistake. We'll probably wait for a massive double spend attack to do anything about it....

i don't know where you got that.. so many people are up in arms, to the point where ghash.io had to address the issue.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: