Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:19:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: DataTank Mining: 1.2MW 3M Novec Immersion Cooled 2PH Mining Container  (Read 44267 times)
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:58:02 PM

We are approve of this message.

We have been in close partnership with allied-control from the last year.
Sweet!  Can't wait for the next level... Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 04:01:48 PM
Last edit: June 18, 2014, 04:33:12 PM by NotLambchop

Guise!  
I just made a INVENTION!
It totally patentid copywrited and tratemarked, so DO NOT STEAL!!1!

*U just wish U could brain like me Cool
novusordo

Activity: 800
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 04:30:46 PM

Where is the "free trade zone with favorable climate and no import or export
restrictions" referred to in the prospectus?

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
       █████████████       █████████████        ██████
       ██████████       █████████████           ██████
       ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
       ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
       ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
       ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
       ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
       ██████           █████████████       ██████████
       ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                 █████████████       █████████████
              ████████████        █████████████
                  ████         ████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
Usman056

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 11:46:03 PM

1. so from the Prospectus you mention "minimized manufacturing time and prefabricated DataTank mining systems... deployment can be carried out in hours, instead of ays or weeks." But the mining won't start for 3-6 months? As far as chips go, have you already received the chips from AM (24 PH worth) and what was the power consumption per Gh
(you mentioned some could consume 33% less power than stated by manufacturers)?  In other words, have you already bought the chips while the BTC value is relatively high?

2. In the Prospectus theres no mention of bitcoin price going down between IPO and deployment. IF this happens, will each unit represent less kW? Will the 20% extra hash be deployed to help with ROI if the BTC value does go down? Will the fee's be decreased?

3. How will we individually as unit holders decide to reinvest (percentage) vs. no reinvestment? is this a shareholders vote with a majority needed to decide the reinvestment or will the DataTank give us to buy additional "units" with the mining dividend?

4. With scrypt mining, will you establish a different type of shares? When would you offer this, if it becomes a separate unit? or will scrypt mining capacity be included in the DTMA/DTMB?

5. Will ROI be measured in fiat or BTC ?

I like the idea of this project, but Petamine looked good too until there were delays.. and thats key point you've made in the prospectus. If you could please answer these questions that would be great.
DataTankMining (OP)

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 12:51:06 AM

As far as chips go, have you already received the chips from AM (24 PH worth) and what was the power consumption per Gh (you mentioned some could consume 33% less power than stated by manufacturers)?  In other words, have you already bought the chips while the BTC value is relatively high?

Chips will be purchased when capacity is ready and the IPO is deemed successful. This means at significant lower prices with more efficient boards and chips. But of course we have current AM BE200 and other chips available for testing.

In the Prospectus theres no mention of bitcoin price going down between IPO and deployment. IF this happens, will each unit represent less kW? Will the 20% extra hash be deployed to help with ROI if the BTC value does go down? Will the fee's be decreased?

Infrastructure and hardware is purchased in fiat money. To minimize risks, the funds will be managed well and safety buffers have been built into pricing.

For infrastructure development, the most sensible approach is to immediately exchange BTC for USD, as as this investment needs to be made first and prices are relative fixed.

For managing BTC/USD for actual hardware, a sensible approach will be followed to bridge the short time between IPO and hardware acquisition.

How will we individually as unit holders decide to reinvest (percentage) vs. no reinvestment? is this a shareholders vote with a majority needed to decide the reinvestment or will the DataTank give us to buy additional "units" with the mining dividend?

As 100% of the income is paid out, it will be an individual decision if you reinvest at a later point when the market changes. DataTank Mining will NOT keep income as reserve for re-investment. 100% is paid out.

4. With scrypt mining, will you establish a different type of shares? When would you offer this, if it becomes a separate unit? or will scrypt mining capacity be included in the DTMA/DTMB?

DTMA and DTMB holders can deploy new boards by either directly purchasing hardware from DataTank Mining (at cost) or third parties and mailing hardware in. New funds may only make sense if the hardware development is not yet completed or a certain scale needs to be reached to be economic. However, pre-orders in form of commitment (no-down payment) may be a more sensible option, assuming that DataTank mining is an attractive client to chip manufactures due to the scale involved. This will be a community approach.

Will ROI be measured in fiat or BTC?

It will be measured in the currency that is being mined. Initially BTC in the case of DTMA. DTMB will be up to the individual miners using the capacity.
DataTankMining (OP)

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 01:15:34 AM

Given that the container, immersion cooling, etc. are all based on existing technology within allied-control, and that two sites with low electricity costs and no legal problems have already been identified, why would it take so long (3-6m) to deploy containers?  Surely the deployment time can be shortened and have less variance?

so from the Prospectus you mention "minimized manufacturing time and prefabricated DataTank mining systems... deployment can be carried out in hours, instead of ays or weeks." But the mining won't start for 3-6 months?

Short answer:

The goal is to deploy in the fastest time possible, but hardware and infrastructure deployments on a megawatt scale take time. It also has to be done internationally and safe without risks. Furthermore, it is not uncommon that manufacturers of electronic or infrastructure components take up to 12-16 weeks to deliver, or even longer on such a scale.

We have good people involved and hands-on experience building some of the largest and most efficient mines ourselves and will do so again. We also have our own production facility literally in-house, within our very own rooms.

Long answer:

In the case of the ASIC chips the delivery time is a price issue, in the case of other important components it's a quantity and industry issue. Example, a few hundred or a few thousand buck regulators can be purchased  online, but for 100k+ back regulators Texas Instrument or any other company will take several months or do partial deliveries, even in China.

Insufficient time also leads to inefficient and unproven board designs. Board designers get it wrong all the time, not because they are bad engineers but because everyone wants the boards out the door ASAP. Ultimately this leads to higher cost, lost money and lost time.

We solve this problem by putting capacity in place first and foremost, and committing to hardware at the right price with the right performance in time for deployment.

Most mining businesses in the past focused on investing in mining hardware first, hosting and infrastructure cost afterwards was often accepted as collateral damage. At today's scale and economics (hosting and infrastructure cost exceeding HW cost), the focus needs to shift or ROI will be significantly affected. In addition to the arms race for the chips there is now an arms race for capacity as well.

Based on the forecast in pg 15 of the prospectus, deployment in 3 months would mean that DTMA will not reach ROI.  6m would be worse of course.

That is absolutely correct. The solution is to put capacity in place first and then buy hardware when it is guaranteed to be efficient and can be brought online in the shortest possible time.

The reference data in the prospectus is based on today's known facts and prices including safety margin. It can be assumed that future hardware prices will be lower, but the business plan cannot be based on assumptions alone, hence today's prices/economics are used to represent the business model.

This is indeed a departure from the usual "buy hardware first and get rich quick" schemes which often overlook important issue such as hosting, logistics, manufacturing etc -  we firmly believe the long term approach in mining requires such a radical change in strategy.

We plan to be very profitable from the outset, but it's the next generation where it will make the biggest difference. Mining is to stay and our solution can be used again and again.

Secondary deployments literally take hours, with the complete structure being reused. This is true for DTMA investors (capacity + hardware) and DTMB investors who only invest in capacity.

When a better chip becomes available after DTMA starts operations, what is the procedure for swapping to the new chip and how would it be funded?

When hardware in DTMA capacity (hardware + capacity) stops being efficient, it can be switched off and DTMA effectively becomes the same as DMTB (capacity only).

DataTank Mining is working with hardware and ASIC manufactures (SHA and Scyrpt) to make immersion blade hardware available. DTMA or DTMB holders can chose to purchase (at internal cost) new hardware at any time, either by reinvesting paid dividends or raising new funds. Alternatively unit holders can send in their own hardware and get it deployed instead.

How would DataTank Mining's interests be aligned with shareholders'?  As far as I can tell, once the container has been sold, DTM just makes a tiny cut of electricity bills, so your only incentive is to keep the container operating?

The cost of operation and building of DataTank infrastructure is passed through, there is no profit involved.

DataTank Mining's profit comes from deploying 20% of _identical_ hardware alongside the public capacity. Hence, we only earn money if we are successful. The 20% fee on operating cost is used to fund the day-to-day operation, including on-site staff providing various services such as ongoing hardware re-deployments, maintenance and security.
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 11:49:35 AM

My favorite part of the video: "Should a board ever have to leave the bath, it comes out dry".
Like holy shit, I would certainly hope so!   Roll Eyes 

Tsengar

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 02:00:31 PM

My favorite part of the video: "Should a board ever have to leave the bath, it comes out dry".
Like holy shit, I would certainly hope so!   Roll Eyes 

It dries in matter of seconds and is clean, so yes it comes out dry.

Compared to oil immersion cooling were your hardware would come out oily and has to be cleaned with detergent. Not to mentioned the protective gear you would have to use.
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 02:08:52 PM

my bad.  I thought that it was an extremely redundant statement because wet electronics = always bad.  i didn't understand the tech good enough to realize its actually a break-through advancement.. i had assumed there was some kind of barrier between the electronics and the water

NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 02:16:45 PM

^It's not water, it's 3M Novec magic juice.  Doesn't conduct electricity or mess with the electronic goodies.  Pricey stuff last time I checked, more than $300/gal in retail quantities.
Tsengar

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 02:20:35 PM

my bad.  I thought that it was an extremely redundant statement because wet electronics = always bad.  i didn't understand the tech good enough to realize its actually a break-through advancement.. i had assumed there was some kind of barrier between the electronics and the water

No problem.
The Immersion Blades are immersed in a dielectric fluid, so no damage to electronics.
Tsengar

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 02:27:24 PM

^It's not water, it's 3M Novec magic juice.  Doesn't conduct electricity or mess with the electronic goodies.  Pricey stuff last time I checked, more than $300/gal in retail quantities.

hehe, that's one way to call it I guess. Its actually sold by weight, but yes if you buy a small quantity, I am sure its pricey.
I Like your drawing btw, Wink
Ozziecoin

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 04:12:50 PM

@DTM

Do you forsee potential issues with getting chips before three months?

BTW, cool name!

Non-technical coin. Use OZC to intro coins to everyday aussies: http://ozziecoin.com
WillShill4BTC

Activity: 19

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 04:47:40 PM

you guys fo shiz gonna need all the help you can git with this monster
give me a shout, i'll recruit some extra guys for the ole 'fiat bizniz but let's grab their btc cos btc' shilleroonio
raskul

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 04:49:20 PM

i've opted not to go down the immersion cooled colo route. i like my miners at home and i can cool 'em just fine.
best luck with it though - it's a good thing for those who desire it.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
Benny1985

Activity: 391

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 04:54:13 PM

@DTM

BTW, cool name!

FWIW, chips shouldn't be the problem. Friedcat can deliver them the same month you buy them. The bigger issue would be PCB fabrication to spec for the tank system. That is where hiccups can arise if they don't meet the specifications that DataTank wants out of their boards.
Usman056

Activity: 49

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:25:19 PM

@DTM

BTW, cool name!

FWIW, chips shouldn't be the problem. Friedcat can deliver them the same month you buy them. The bigger issue would be PCB fabrication to spec for the tank system. That is where hiccups can arise if they don't meet the specifications that DataTank wants out of their boards.

But they should already have that set up as far as i can tell from the video of the AM chips that they showed running. So that shouldn't be a problem right?
antirack

Activity: 489
Merit: 500

Immersionist

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:40:57 PM

DTM/Allied has its own SMD line and have worked with Friedcat on board manufacturing before (ever wondered why the newer blades had the edge connectors on the PCB?)
Same will be done for future chips.
webbrowser

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 01:09:43 PM

How would DataTank Mining's interests be aligned with shareholders'?  As far as I can tell, once the container has been sold, DTM just makes a tiny cut of electricity bills, so your only incentive is to keep the container operating?

The cost of operation and building of DataTank infrastructure is passed through, there is no profit involved.

DataTank Mining's profit comes from deploying 20% of _identical_ hardware alongside the public capacity. Hence, we only earn money if we are successful. The 20% fee on operating cost is used to fund the day-to-day operation, including on-site staff providing various services such as ongoing hardware re-deployments, maintenance and security.

Thanks.  For clarity, does the IPO also fund your 20% deployment of identical hardware, or will you be coughing up 2 BTC of your own for every 10BTC invested?

DTMB holders can essentially convert to DTMA-equivalent with the at-cost purchase of mining hardware right?  ie, for 0.0165 BTC / unit at current prices. 

How will you handle DTMB holders who want different things?  Eg, some might want you to help negotiate to franchise their capacity.  Others might want to handle their own franchising, while yet others may want to self-mine.  Seems like it would be messy to communicate with individual shareholders going in different directions.  If the shares are not fungible, there will be more complications when trading shares and issuing dividends on havelock.
Collider

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 02:12:26 PM

Looks very promising and sensible to me.

Looking forward to the IPO!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: