Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 02:50:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] Spondoolies-Tech SP30 - Specs: 6TH/s + 0.46W/GH  (Read 28484 times)
bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 06:11:01 PM

I think the attraction for me could be a good deal on hosting together with SP-30 at a discount.
I am surprised that this is not being raised. The original GB had a hosting option. No facility in WA wants to host hundreds of Sp-30 all in one deal?
I believe that this is what needs to be arranged, but price has to be based on WA electrical rates, NOT on expensive electrical rates.

?!

So those who pay 16 Cents per KWH are severely disadvantaged?

Do you work for the company?

I am not sure re disadvantaged. If someone has higher electrical rate, they have to compete on something else.
I speak only for myself.

Well, as long as hosting price for SP-30 is at or below $190/mo with 208V/220V/240V available (if Sp-30 is 2.5kw) with 6mo (not 12!) minimal requirement, I think that many people would support this by choosing SP-30+hosting package. I am surprised that nobody arranged this kind of a deal yet. $290/mo in the original GB is an overpay for hosting considering the electricity cost of 2-3c/kwh in that area and SOMEONE in WA should take the initiative to make a better deal that would be beneficial for everybody.

Smart data centers will take advantage like everything else in this industry and over price their hosting options because they are aware most people at least in the US can't plug one of these SP30's in your home without high consideration on electrical resources and heat. I've asked several data centers how much they would charge to co-locate an SP30 and all three places quoted me over $350/month. Seeing that is highway robbery, I can only see people with the means that have free electric and cooling getting these SP30's. I remember running my SP10 in my office when it was 60 degrees out and the next morning the office temperature was 104 degrees. I couldn't even imagine if I addded an SP30 into the mix.

Power is not nearly the only cost, infact only accounts for about 60% of the cost of most colocation. You need cooling, building (rent / mortgage + maintenance insurance etc etc), staff and all the rest that goes into opperating a 24/7 active facility. Adds up very very quick when people only look at pure power costs.
MikeMike
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1020

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 06:24:20 PM

I think the attraction for me could be a good deal on hosting together with SP-30 at a discount.
I am surprised that this is not being raised. The original GB had a hosting option. No facility in WA wants to host hundreds of Sp-30 all in one deal?
I believe that this is what needs to be arranged, but price has to be based on WA electrical rates, NOT on expensive electrical rates.

?!

I am not sure re disadvantaged. If someone has higher electrical rate, they have to compete on something else.
I speak only for myself.

Well, as long as hosting price for SP-30 is at or below $190/mo with 208V/220V/240V available (if Sp-30 is 2.5kw) with 6mo (not 12!) minimal requirement, I think that many people would support this by choosing SP-30+hosting package. I am surprised that nobody arranged this kind of a deal yet. $290/mo in the original GB is an overpay for hosting considering the electricity cost of 2-3c/kwh in that area and SOMEONE in WA should take the initiative to make a better deal that would be beneficial for everybody.

Smart data centers will take advantage like everything else in this industry and over price their hosting options because they are aware most people at least in the US can't plug one of these SP30's in your home without high consideration on electrical resources and heat. I've asked several data centers how much they would charge to co-locate an SP30 and all three places quoted me over $350/month. Seeing that is highway robbery, I can only see people with the means that have free electric and cooling getting these SP30's. I remember running my SP10 in my office when it was 60 degrees out and the next morning the office temperature was 104 degrees. I couldn't even imagine if I addded an SP30 into the mix.

Power is not nearly the only cost, infact only accounts for about 60% of the cost of most colocation. You need cooling, building (rent / mortgage + maintenance insurance etc etc), staff and all the rest that goes into opperating a 24/7 active facility. Adds up very very quick when people only look at pure power costs.

Fair enough and your calculations are nearly exact for an SP-30 at 16 cents per KWH...

Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 3919

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 06:51:52 PM

?!

I speak only for myself.

I've asked several data centers how much they would charge to co-locate an SP30 and all three places quoted me over $350/month.  

My point-exactly. A smart business man in the central WA could make it work for $190/mo for SP-30 with a HIGH profit margin, perhaps slightly less profit margin in Kansas or elsewhere.
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2014, 07:08:32 PM

I know this is a little off topic, but no group buy info has been released so.....

what then is a good price to co-locate an SP30, with Internet access of course.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
DevonMiner

Activity: 471
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:24:27 PM

what then is a good price to co-locate an SP30, with Internet access of course.

Some info available on the H/w Hosting Directory & Reputation thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622998.0 several people have SP10s hosted by various companies. Hosting prices vary from country to country.

markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:55:48 PM

Hey,
I would be down for it and buy 15-20 SP30's (depending on the final pricing) for 50.000 Euros..but I dont know if I can trust all this money to 1 guy...how can I go sure that he wont scam us? he has only 55 posts and I never saw him doing any other groupbuys before...any tips for me?

use escrow
DevonMiner

Activity: 471

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:59:37 PM

Hey,
I would be down for it and buy 15-20 SP30's (depending on the final pricing) for 50.000 Euros..but I dont know if I can trust all this money to 1 guy...how can I go sure that he wont scam us? he has only 55 posts and I never saw him doing any other groupbuys before...any tips for me?

use escrow

IF the group buy comes off, he should do the same as Roadstress did with his group buy ... hand all the information over to Spondoolies and let them take the orders directly ... so you deal directly with them, not him.

dulac97

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:00:26 AM

That sounds pretty fair and this method is called "Escrow" ? Well it would be pretty neat then and I can ask my bank to lend me some money Cheesy

For lots of reasons, I wouldn't borrow money to buy miners.
spiceminer15

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 06:04:15 PM

if this group buy goes down i'm in for 2 SP30s. i'll be buying them anyway if it doesn't. but the group buy would be great.

anyone figuring how much BTC/day for one sp30?? my crude calcs say around .2BTC/day per sp30 without counting electricity.
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 06:11:56 PM

anyone figuring how much BTC/day for one sp30?? my crude calcs say around .2BTC/day per sp30 without counting electricity.
Today 6TH/s earns 0.18 BTC/day. 2 months from now (about 6 difficulty increases), which is the earliest you can expect it, not even close to that. And if you don't see it until the end of September, add another 2 difficulty increases on top.
spiceminer15

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 06:23:13 PM

Ok,

maybe we can think just in terms of ROI, when I look at all the different ASIC machines, sha or scrypt. they usually pan out to about 90 days until ROI.

anyone know what to expect with the sp30? I've figured it would be a less but, like you said that's at current diff
thevinci

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 08:15:43 PM

When calculating ROI, don't forget resale value of the machines.
BitcoinPappi
Legendary

Activity: 915
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:51:35 PM

When will the final price be posted ? Possibly interested in 2 depending on the price
opentoe
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 06:00:56 AM

Quite some time has gone by and I'm surprised that September SP30 is still at the same price. Tack on $300 for shipping and that will never break even. I thought as more time went by, the price would be lowered so they could sell more. I guess the newbs are really out in full force out there just buying everything up they can. I'd like to be there when the newb tries to plug it into his house and the breakers keep tripping and everyone is scratching their head.

The most you'll make with an SP30 is about $3040. That's about as much profit you'll be able to suck out of it. That's my opinion of course and hope everyone make more. And all that is over at least a 6 month to a 1 year period at least. And I guess if you buy multiple SP30's its all the same as if you bought once. Since ya gotta pay it all back first, then maybe a satoshi will slip in there couple years later?

spiceminer15

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 07:45:37 AM

Explain...

How could you only make that much over a long time? I really can't see the diff and electricity cost overtaking the $ generated a day with 6th anytime soon? Even if the margins get slimmer and slimmer, you should still be making $ and after its paid off its all profit...
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 08:20:44 AM

Kinda of an odd question...but the sp30 is 220v and has two power supplies....as long as I'm setting up outlets and use two surge protector strips?

or would I be better off running each power supply off a diff circuit (ie 2 sep 220v circuits) (ie probs with one 1/2 the sp30 will hash? does it even work that way?)

or just have one 220v plug...stick the ISOBAR 220v triplite surge bar on that and plug the 2 plugs off the sp30 into that all one 220v circuit

or hell either way works?

just wondeirng wtf got the wire and the distance an't so far as to do 2 individual 220v plugs to the miner

I'm in the USA by the by

Searing

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 01:02:02 PM

Kinda of an odd question...but the sp30 is 220v and has two power supplies....
The SP30 can use 220V, yes, but isn't limited to that. The product page says the input can be 90 - 264 VAC.
opentoe
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 01:15:05 PM

Kinda of an odd question...but the sp30 is 220v and has two power supplies....as long as I'm setting up outlets and use two surge protector strips?

or would I be better off running each power supply off a diff circuit (ie 2 sep 220v circuits) (ie probs with one 1/2 the sp30 will hash? does it even work that way?)

or just have one 220v plug...stick the ISOBAR 220v triplite surge bar on that and plug the 2 plugs off the sp30 into that all one 220v circuit

or hell either way works?

just wondeirng wtf got the wire and the distance an't so far as to do 2 individual 220v plugs to the miner

I'm in the USA by the by

Searing

You may as well co-locate that baby. It's really meant for racking up in a cabinet, unless you really have ample power and cooling. How are you going to keep it cool? Passive air or air conditioning? When you get it, send us some pictures!!!!

spiceminer15

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:11:43 PM

20amp breaker will do 2400w. 2500w might trip it.

simple solution is to plug one plug into one circuit and one into another, maybe with a thick extension cord.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 07:31:27 PM

Powering one of these in US residences will be tricky at best.  The optimal solution is if you've got a 240V / 30A circuit, which would supply 5760 watts continuously (80% of 7200), so you could drive 2 on that circuit.  Otherwise, you're going to have to get creative.  The typical household breaker is a 120V / 15A, which will give you 1440 watts continuous power (80% of 1800).

With the SP10, the firmware limits the PSU (but you can override it).  I'm wondering if the same will be available on the SP30.  Again, basing this on the SP10, the typical limit of the AC2DC is 1260 with DC2DC set to 62.  This might be different on the SP30 because of the different PSUs in the unit.  Anyway, what I'm getting to is that if you want to run this in a US home and do not have the 240V / 30A circuit, you're going to basically fully utilize 2 standard 120V / 15A breakers to power a single unit.

So, if you've got the space in your breaker box, your best bet would be to get in touch with an electrician and have a dedicated 240V / 30A breaker installed along with a NEMA l6-30 outlet, and then getting a decent PDU to plug your SP30 into.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: