Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 02:16:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Very Early Adopters  (Read 4593 times)
CoinRocka (OP)

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 11:20:09 AM

I am amazed how few people in the US know about bitcoin and even fewer understand it.  I work in a very technical field which allows me to travel and I am constantly surveying technical folks of all ages what they think about bitcoin.  I would say only about half of the people have even heard about it, of those about 80% of the folks say stay away or "if you can find someone to give you real dollars for bitcoin, do it!"...

I've also noticed that bitcoin does get news coverage but it is almost always buried on the major media outlet's sites.  Most major headlines are very negative so I can't blame Joe Public for shying away.

All in all, we are very early in this game and I'm excited to see opinions sway in favor of bitcoin in future months/years.

I personally think there will be an "Aha moment" whether it be a killer app or a market correction where big banks move to bitcoin as a store and the sheep will follow quickly.  Just a matter of time but the train is still in the station at this point in time.  Cool
cuddaloreappu

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 01:55:19 PM

Posts like this cheer me up from the constant worry that i am very late to the game
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 01:59:22 PM

The dot.com bubble was $7 trillion with a T.  Cryptos under $10 billion means the party hasn't even started.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 02:02:03 PM

Posts like this cheer me up from the constant worry that i am very late to the game

you are not, go ask people around you. What BitCoin is. Most wil have no ideas.
What she wrote, that 50% people know. That is way to much.

EDIT: I reread now. She said, taht half peopel in IT knows of BitCoin, that makes more sense. But not only they will use them in 10 years, half of earth will. So even those that wil start using BitCoins 2 years from now will be early adopters.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 02:04:37 PM

If you are reading this in the summer of 2014, and you have any BTC, congratulations. You are an early adopter, and you will soon be rich if you choose to hold.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 02:05:17 PM

dont be afraid, people will accept and adopt bitcoin for sure
best example is that you can buy drink in every airport in the world with bitcoin (that would be so great)
you dont need currency exchanges etc, just your phone
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 02:19:28 PM

Here's something that might help put Bitcoin awareness into perspective:

McCormick Place Calendar of Events

July 2014

KCCNA Convention                                                   - Attendance:   6,000
NIKE Tournament of Champions                                  - Attendance:  15,000
AFSCME Biennial International Convention                    - Attendance:  7,000
DUB SHOW TOUR                                                    - Attendance:  8,000
The ASI Show!                                                       - Attendance:  663
Ready, Set, Teach! Summer Institute                         - Attendance:  2,200
Rock & Roll Chicago Race Expo                                  - Attendance:  40,000
The North American Bitcoin Conference                      - Attendance:  1,500
Annual RealWorld Users Conference                            - Attendance:  1,300
APWU -Biennial National Convention                           - Attendance:   2,100
Antiques Roadshow                                                 - Attendance:   6,000
Annual Meeting and Clinical Lab Expo                          - Attendance:  17,929

At least four times as many people will attend the Antiques Roadshow. Tickets are already sold out!

Still around.
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 02:35:38 PM

Very few people know about bitcoin. If someone knows, he or she just hears about it but doesn't really understand what it is. I am happy to being the early adopter.

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 02:37:21 PM

Everything that can be something in the future have to start somewhere, but I really believe current bitcoin price $600 is something that we only can dream about after a few years.

Owning 1 whole bitcoin will be something for the elite by then. That's why I think that we're currently still early adopters.
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 02:40:53 PM

Same. I beat myself every day for skipping Bitcoin 2 years before i really dived in. I could have been filthy rich by now...but more articles/posts like this i read, more will i get and hope that one day someone will tell me: "Yeah you were early adopter"  Grin

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 02:50:30 PM

Owning 1 whole bitcoin will be something for the elite by then. That's why I think that we're currently still early adopters.
In the future, no one will speak of owning 1 Bitcoin, they will speak of owning X thousand Satoshis. Just as no New York City resident would speak of owning an acre of land today, but travel back in time far enough and all land in America was measured by the acre.

Instead we speak of owning tiny pieces of property such as houses or even smaller pieces called apartments or even smaller called rooms. Hell, I have heard of some cases of people renting out an attic to sleep in!
By contrast, those of us who have a private apartment with no roommates consider ourselves the lucky ones - living in relative luxury!

Owning 1 BTC today is like owning an acre of prime Manhattan real estate in 1600. The difference being that a year in Bitcoin time = 100 years in Manhattan real estate time. You won't need to wait long to get rich, folks. Just a few years at the most.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 02:58:40 PM

I am amazed how few people in the US know about bitcoin and even fewer understand it.  I work in a very technical field which allows me to travel and I am constantly surveying technical folks of all ages what they think about bitcoin.  I would say only about half of the people have even heard about it, of those about 80% of the folks say stay away or "if you can find someone to give you real dollars for bitcoin, do it!"...

I've also noticed that bitcoin does get news coverage but it is almost always buried on the major media outlet's sites.  Most major headlines are very negative so I can't blame Joe Public for shying away.

All in all, we are very early in this game and I'm excited to see opinions sway in favor of bitcoin in future months/years.

I personally think there will be an "Aha moment" whether it be a killer app or a market correction where big banks move to bitcoin as a store and the sheep will follow quickly.  Just a matter of time but the train is still in the station at this point in time.  Cool

most headlines are negative? are you kidding me? in early 2013 (and before) it was like that but today its AMAZING positive !  Smiley

it will take years to educate the masses and we need massmedia for that too.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4487

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:19:52 PM

i love the over use of "early adoptors"..

we all know bitcoin is going exist until 2140, no one can predict how popular it will be in 2140, but it will still exist in 2140.

so lets take something else that has life for around about 100 years...IBM

in 1916 the company went public. if someone bough shares 8 years later and held them, 1 share would be worth $500k (due to share split(dilutions) over the decades).

so was the guy in 1924 a late adopter??............................. rhetorical question, the answer is purely for your own benefit

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
amitrwt

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:25:49 PM

If you are reading this in the summer of 2014, and you have any BTC, congratulations. You are an early adopter, and you will soon be rich if you choose to hold.
I saw the Video although I believe in bitcoin but somewhere I found this video biased , because it only talks about successful companies like Twitter , Facebook , Google.  and their S curve , but there are also so many companies out there who never grows that big. We all know bitcoin is not a company[which is in favor of bitcoin] but it will not have a similar kinda of advertising , and will be restricted in use till some killer app comes out and it will take some time to explain it to average joe + it will face many difficulties as it grows bigger. Yeah I'm hopeful for a very higher vertical curve but will it ever happen I have faith.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
↑ UpDown.BT ↓  Bet on Gold/Oil/Currencies like a Boss ↑ [Thread] ↓
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
gondel
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:42:07 PM

No we are not the early adopters! The early adopters are in year 2009. There is not such thing as early adopter in the middle of year 2014. Yes you will be rich someday if you hold your BTC, but you will not be early adopter. This name is for people who are really the ones Smiley
BR
Gondel
Neodamus

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:47:39 PM

I saw the Video although I believe in bitcoin but somewhere I found this video biased , because it only talks about successful companies like Twitter , Facebook , Google.  and their S curve , but there are also so many companies out there who never grows that big. We all know bitcoin is not a company[which is in favor of bitcoin] but it will not have a similar kinda of advertising , and will be restricted in use till some killer app comes out and it will take some time to explain it to average joe + it will face many difficulties as it grows bigger. Yeah I'm hopeful for a very higher vertical curve but will it ever happen I have faith.

There is no company representing the Internet. Somehow it achieved stellar success without a central advertising agency. It took decades for the Internet to achieve its current level of penetration.
amitrwt

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:58:36 PM

There is no company representing the Internet. Somehow it achieved stellar success without a central advertising agency. It took decades for the Internet to achieve its current level of penetration.
Exactly My point Internet took this much time to get accepted by masses simply because it has no initial support. + is bitcoin protocol is as big as internet..? it can't be because it is totally dependent of internet.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
↑ UpDown.BT ↓  Bet on Gold/Oil/Currencies like a Boss ↑ [Thread] ↓
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4487

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 04:03:11 PM

the internet is just a protocol for sending packets of information. it was companirs layered ontop of it, such as microsoft that helped by making HTML to make the information look better presented. adobe (flash) that made audio and video more presentable. google, microsoft, mozilla that made it more user friendly to see information and interact with it without even needing to know any code.

bitcoin is the same. it requires coinbase, bitbay, localbitcoins to really make bitcoin a success.. we are still at the beginning of it, new businesses are joining bitcoin that will make it more useful and more user friendly..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 04:07:53 PM

bitcoin has the potential to be much bigger than FB or twitter.

abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 04:12:48 PM

There are barriers to entry, so with current regulations there is some difficulty getting Bitcoin.  If you don't have a checking account, you can't get BTC from Coinbase.  In additoin, if you don't have a Visa credit card, you'll have 5 day waiting period where Coinbase may cancel your order due to "high risk."  Other options are paying 5% more at localbitcoins.  Or you can do bank transfers overseas to Slovenia (Bitstamp) or Bulgaria (Btc-e).  United States is stifling innovation in digital currency.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: