Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 06:44:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Very Early Adopters  (Read 4593 times)
Cicero2.0

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 04:15:42 PM

If you are reading this in the summer of 2014, and you have any BTC, congratulations. You are an early adopter, and you will soon be rich if you choose to hold.

That is an excellent video. Thank you for sharing it. I often worry that I got in too late and missed the boat.

maurya78

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 04:35:29 PM

This is absolutely still pretty early in the game
Think Internet 1998

Jon_Snow

Activity: 84
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 05:19:07 PM

dont be afraid, people will accept and adopt bitcoin for sure
best example is that you can buy drink in every airport in the world with bitcoin (that would be so great)
you dont need currency exchanges etc, just your phone

Maybe you are right, people can be interested but using bitcoin everyday is actually risky.
If you lose your credit card, you can block your bank account. But if you lose your phone-wallet without password or in hacker hands, its very annoying. Lips sealed
Of course you can save your wallet with differents ways but its not clear to everyone and inconvenient.

BitCoin needs a large protection system to reassure imprudent people like my girlfriend, hah.  Cheesy
TimS

Activity: 250
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 05:33:58 PM

dont be afraid, people will accept and adopt bitcoin for sure
best example is that you can buy drink in every airport in the world with bitcoin (that would be so great)
you dont need currency exchanges etc, just your phone

Maybe you are right, people can be interested but using bitcoin everyday is actually risky.
If you lose your credit card, you can block your bank account. But if you lose your phone-wallet without password or in hacker hands, its very annoying. Lips sealed
Of course you can save your wallet with differents ways but its not clear to everyone and inconvenient.

BitCoin needs a large protection system to reassure imprudent people like my girlfriend, hah.  Cheesy
If you lose your (old-fashioned) wallet, someone else can spend your cash. If you lose your (Bitcoin) phone-wallet without a password protecting it, someone else can spend your bitcoins. The only difference is that if you have a backup, you might be able to spend your bitcoins first, whereas with cash it's gone (unless an honest person finds your wallet and can return it to you).

You shouldn't be carrying around more unprotected bitcoins than you would cash, and for the same reasons. Since entering a long (read: secure) password on a phone is such a pain, un- or slightly-protected bitcoins will probably be the norm.

I'll give you the fact that the current credit card/financial system is great for fraud protection. But that's not really possible in a no-trust scenario like Bitcoin.
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 06:20:45 PM

I would classify the 2009-2012 adopters the innovators.  We are in the early adoptor phase.
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 06:33:46 PM

i'm not an early adopter.. though i did know about bitcoin in 2011 and was interested. such a shame that i didn't do anything about it until 2013, but that was all on me.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 06:51:40 PM

I have been using BTC for a decent amount of time, but i would in no way consider myself one of the early adopters.  I had an opportunity to be, but I did not pay as much attention as I should have.

I do agree there is a lot that is difficult to understand.   Even at this point in time, I have to admit that there is a lot of intricacies that I don't understand about the technical side of BTC
SpontaneousDream

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 07:00:34 PM

I'm also amazed at the TOTAL lack of understanding when it comes to Bitcoin.

A few days ago I met a recent graduate from Cornell University, an ivy-league school. He majored in applied economics and financial markets (or something of the sort). Anyways, I could tell by the way he spoke and his general knowledge about the world/society that he was a very smart individual. Yet when I asked him about Bitcoin, he had NO CLUE what he was talking about. His opinion on it demonstrated a complete lack of understanding.

I find this to be very interesting. How long will it take for "smart" people to take this innovation seriously? Whenever I bring up Bitcoin around my friends, they look at me like I've been sucked into some cult-ish ponzi scheme. I look forward to the day when their dollars aren't worth squat, and I can live off my Bitcoins Smiley
beetcoin

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 07:03:28 PM

I'm also amazed at the TOTAL lack of understanding when it comes to Bitcoin.

A few days ago I met a recent graduate from Cornell University, an ivy-league school. He majored in applied economics and financial markets (or something of the sort). Anyways, I could tell by the way he spoke and his general knowledge about the world/society that he was a very smart individual. Yet when I asked him about Bitcoin, he had NO CLUE what he was talking about. His opinion on it demonstrated a complete lack of understanding.

I find this to be very interesting. How long will it take for "smart" people to take this innovation seriously? Whenever I bring up Bitcoin around my friends, they look at me like I've been sucked into some cult-ish ponzi scheme. I look forward to the day when their dollars aren't worth squat, and I can live off my Bitcoins Smiley

doesn't surprise me. he's young, and he came from an institutional education system. besides that, he might be adept with economics/finances, but that's not all what bitcoin is. it's economics/finances + technology.
beetcoin

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 07:09:15 PM

Posts like this cheer me up from the constant worry that i am very late to the game

Same. I beat myself every day for skipping Bitcoin 2 years before i really dived in. I could have been filthy rich by now...but more articles/posts like this i read, more will i get and hope that one day someone will tell me: "Yeah you were early adopter"  Grin
Tell me about it i almost bought 5 dollars worth in early 2011 but put it off..... damn being lazy in college.

man, in 2011 i had done my reserach and opened accounts up at mtgox and tradehill.. was that close to buying bitcoin, but then i got lazy. i remember the price was $5/btc. i was also worried that government would eventually make it illegal. in hindsight, i should have just gone for it. i knew about this site even in 2011, but didn't register since i didn't want to be a target of the NSA.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 07:14:11 PM

I'm looking at the charts, and it seems like we are still early adopters.

SInce about ~10 million people (Maybe) use it, less than 1% of the American population, we can still hold it and expect for a large price change in coming years.

In fact, one of the most influential think tanks said the UK should privatize their dollar and switch to cryptos, so you never know what the future may hold!

However, there will be a collapse where alts will disappear due to investors giving up on them, and even just general use disappearing, due to the fact that most are simply copies of other well-established coins.

The ones I can see surviving are BTC, LTC, DRK, and a few others, but I'm still watching those coins to be sure. But it will be coins with real innovations that will survive, not crapcoins being made everywhere.
ThomasCrowne

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

★☆★ 777Coin - The Exciting Bitco

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 07:35:15 PM

Posts like this cheer me up from the constant worry that i am very late to the game
Same here.  A friend of mine first mentioned bitcoin too me back in early 2013, really wish I would've gotten involved then.

This post cheers me up a little though and thinking about it it sorta makes sense.  If bitcoin does indeed actually ever reach a 50 or 100 billion dollar market cap (possibly more?) we are in essence still fairly early to the game.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 08:52:19 PM

If you are reading this in the summer of 2014, and you have any BTC, congratulations. You are an early adopter, and you will soon be rich if you choose to hold.
I saw the Video although I believe in bitcoin but somewhere I found this video biased , because it only talks about successful companies like Twitter , Facebook , Google.  and their S curve , but there are also so many companies out there who never grows that big. We all know bitcoin is not a company[which is in favor of bitcoin] but it will not have a similar kinda of advertising , and will be restricted in use till some killer app comes out and it will take some time to explain it to average joe + it will face many difficulties as it grows bigger. Yeah I'm hopeful for a very higher vertical curve but will it ever happen I have faith.
I don't understand this perspective.  Bitcoin IS the killer app.
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 09:01:46 PM

I'm looking at the charts, and it seems like we are still early adopters.

SInce about ~10 million people (Maybe) use it, less than 1% of the American population, we can still hold it and expect for a large price change in coming years.

In fact, one of the most influential think tanks said the UK should privatize their dollar and switch to cryptos, so you never know what the future may hold!

However, there will be a collapse where alts will disappear due to investors giving up on them, and even just general use disappearing, due to the fact that most are simply copies of other well-established coins.

The ones I can see surviving are BTC, LTC, DRK, and a few others, but I'm still watching those coins to be sure. But it will be coins with real innovations that will survive, not crapcoins being made everywhere.

If Bitcoin doesn't crash, we are very early in the game since the market cap for Bitcoin is only 8 Billions, great innovations and businesses are going to be launched soon thanks to all the smart geniuses that are working building them at the moment

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 09:06:10 PM

Someday houses may be listed in BTC.  Like a cheap house is .8 BTC and a bigger house is 1.25 BTC. :-)

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 09:27:42 PM

Someday houses may be listed in BTC.  Like a cheap house is .8 BTC and a bigger house is 1.25 BTC. :-)
If uBTC = $1.00 someday, then you'd be talking about mansions.
Yakamoto
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 09:40:45 PM

If uBTC = $1.00 someday, then you'd be talking about mansions.
That would be awesome! And even until that point, we're all still earning BTC...

Yeah, anyone with about 1BTC would have $1,000,000, and so I'm sure that many people would be very happy. I'd be extremely happy at that point, all the early adopters would have made about $10,000 at least.

Heh, maybe I should stop working for BTC and start buying it...

But either way, it could keep at $600 in purchasing power, but inflation would send it to that point. But I can't predict the future, so I can't tell for sure.
Mageant
Legendary

Activity: 1145
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 10:08:53 PM

It would be strange to me to work a whole month and then "only" earn 0.01 BTC even if that is a lot of purchasing power.

cjgames.com
bitsire

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 10:09:14 PM

It's amazing that even people getting into Bitcoin today can be considered early adopters.

The really early adopters, from the Silk Road Bitcoin boom of summer 2011 or even before, or either total computer nerds and/or stoners  Grin
Yakamoto
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 10:13:36 PM

It's amazing that even people getting into Bitcoin today can be considered early adopters.

The really early adopters, from the Silk Road Bitcoin boom of summer 2011 or even before, or either total computer nerds and/or stoners  Grin
I'm amazed I can be called an early adopter. I got into Bitcoin in April 2014, and it surprised me I could still be called an early adopter.

What should we call the really early adopters? Like those who got in during 2012 or beforehand? They should have some special name or something.

But either way, we can still say we were the early users to everyone once the crypto boom occurs.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: