Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 03:09:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I be worried about the 51%?  (Read 1464 times)
gondel (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 11:21:31 AM

Hello,
Today I spotted an article in a Bulgarian site for economics news, The topic is:
"Bitcoin is about to collapse?"
Here it is a link to the article:
http://money.bg/news/id_1312273811/%D0%91%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B9%D0%BD_%D0%B5_%D0%BD%D0%B0_%D0%BF%D1%8A%D1%82_%D0%B4%D0%B0_%D1%81%D0%B5_%D1%81%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B5

It is written in Bulgarian, but you can understand it by using the google translator. Should I be worried about this or author is just stupid saying that?
BR
Gondel
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 11:23:28 AM

Hello,
Today I spotted an article in a Bulgarian site for economics news, The topic is:
http://money.bg/news/id_1312273811/%D0%91%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B9%D0%BD_%D0%B5_%D0%BD%D0%B0_%D0%BF%D1%8A%D1%82_%D0%B4%D0%B0_%D1%81%D0%B5_%D1%81%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B5

It is written in Bulgarian, but you can understand it by using the google translator. Should I be worried about this or author is just stupid saying that?
BR
Gondel

Personally I would say that you should not worry about a 51% attack.
That would be more destructing to the one performing it than beneficial.

You should be more worried about the "media" (as you can see) and peoples reaction to it (as you have witnessed with the price drop).
LouReed

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 11:38:29 AM

Hello,

BR
Gondel

Personally I would say that you should not worry about a 51% attack.
That would be more destructing to the one performing it than beneficial.

You should be more worried about the "media" (as you can see) and peoples reaction to it (as you have witnessed with the price drop).

I wouldn't worry at all, at least not right now anyway.

http://www.coindesk.com/ghash-io-never-launch-51-attack/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CoinDesk+%28CoinDesk+-+The+Voice+of+Digital+Currency%29

http://blog.cex.io/ghash-io-51-percent/
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 12:02:49 PM

Bitcoin isn't going to collapse because of this. It would probably only ever be a problem if some malicious entity gained 51% of the mining power.
robmob

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Respect All Fear None

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 12:03:47 PM

You have nothing to worry about, just a bunch of whistle blowers trying to blow things out of proportion.

Crypto Currency Communityhttp://cryptoinfinity.com

Donate BTC:15YMgV1nb97bpRqBT7CEf6ryo37gqeeRpL
gondel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 12:10:33 PM

You have nothing to worry about, just a bunch of whistle blowers trying to blow things out of proportion.
I think the same too. This guy from the article was may be forced from his boss to write something quick and to do it today or he is fired Cheesy
Articles like this only put a negative view on BTC and people who dont know about it will not trust it in the future..
BR
coinsolidation

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 12:15:42 PM

Quite the opposite, you should be pleased.

Bitcoin encodes decentralization and democracy - an issue was noticed in a multi-billion dollar economy, and within hours people had voted with their miners and redistributed a vast amount of hardware resources to stabilize the economy.

To me this is one of the pivotal moments of bitcoin so far, this democratic process implemented with such speed is impossible in almost every other avenue of life, and certainly every avenue which has centralization at it's core.

It was a good day.

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)
S4VV4S

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 12:21:40 PM

Bitcoin encodes decentralization and democracy - an issue was noticed in a multi-billion dollar economy, and within hours people had voted with their miners and redistributed a vast amount of hardware resources to stabilize the economy.

To me this is one of the pivotal moments of bitcoin so far, this democratic process implemented with such speed is impossible in almost every other avenue of life, and certainly every avenue which has centralization at it's core.

It was a good day.

Not true.

People where still mining at GHash even after they reached 51%.
It's the DDoS attack that caused the miners to move.

coinsolidation

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 12:31:14 PM

It was a good day.

Not true.

DDoS or not, it was resolved democratically by the community. If some members took an action which prompted a resolution so be it, it worked - what I said still holds, this is a major situation resolved remarkably quicker than any other issue in any billion dollar company/org/economy we've ever seen in history.

S4VV4S

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 12:32:37 PM

It was a good day.

Not true.

DDoS or not, it was resolved democratically by the community. If some members took an action which prompted a resolution so be it, it worked - what I said still holds, this is a major situation resolved remarkably quicker than any other issue in any billion dollar company/org/economy we've ever seen in history.

True, can't argue with that.
I was just making a correction Smiley
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 12:33:29 PM

OP....as you can see, price is going up even tho one pool had 51%, as if nothing happened. I think that should be enough to answer your question.

ljudotina
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 12:35:29 PM

It was a good day.

Not true.

No..Ghash moved part of their own hardware to another pool. Most people care only about one thing....returning their investment into bitcoin miner....and i cant blame them. DDos is not solution, nor is moving hardware from one pool in one's possesion to another pool in one's possesion. I'm afraid it needs to be dealt with on protocol level and it turns out that it's hard thing to fix...

S4VV4S

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 12:38:08 PM

It was a good day.

Not true.

No..Ghash moved part of their own hardware to another pool. Most people care only about one thing....returning their investment into bitcoin miner....and i cant blame them.

I think BitFury also withdrew 1PH (I think) from the hashing rates.

That being said, why didn't they do it before it got to that?
It is a serious question.

Why didn't they start backing down when they were at 45% let's say?
coinsolidation

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 12:45:34 PM

I also wonder this, the simple answer is probably greed.

However this has been coming for a long time, many months ago I was shocked and concerned that 6+ blocks could be found in a row by the pool in question.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 03:02:28 PM

wow, with an activity of 252 you trust a bulgarian news site  Shocked ? or is it irony?

if you think BTC is a secure investement (or invention) : sell now!

ljudotina
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:04:11 PM

It was a good day.

Not true.

No..Ghash moved part of their own hardware to another pool. Most people care only about one thing....returning their investment into bitcoin miner....and i cant blame them.

As some say, it was show off of power....i dont really know why didint they do something before it happened....They could have reject new miners etc...i dont know...

gondel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:56:53 PM

wow, with an activity of 252 you trust a bulgarian news site  Shocked ? or is it irony?

if you think BTC is a secure investement (or invention) : sell now!
Well I am Bulgarian and also this site is one of the biggest economics related sites in Bulgaria. But Yes for sure no Bulgarian knows as much as in US.
BR
Willisius

Activity: 364

I'm really quite sane!

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 04:14:03 PM

It was a good day.

It was closer to weeks than hours.
RixDollar

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 04:25:48 PM

Right now, no.
redhawk979

Activity: 271

View Profile