Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:40:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I use mineral oil as cooling system for GridSeed unit?  (Read 2255 times)
D4rkAng3l (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:01:40 PM

Hello to everybody,

I am very new in mining and I am using a very litle rig composed of 2 GridSeed unit (the 5 chips version). I am thinking to buy some other GridSeed unit but the problem is that the fan is too noisy to stay at home.

So some time ago I found that some people use the minarl oil as cooling system for PC.

The procedure is pretty simple: you take an old aquarium, you fill it of mineral oil and you put into the oil the motherboard\CPU\graphic card etcetc...except the hard disk and the component that have mechanichal component.

My question si: can I do the same thing with gridseed? So I can remoove the fan and put these GridSeed unit into the mineral oil.

Is an suitable cooling system also for GridSeed or these are too warm?

Tnx
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 04:16:17 PM

Hello to everybody,

My question si: can I do the same thing with gridseed? So I can remoove the fan and put these GridSeed unit into the mineral oil.

Tnx

No. However, the  gridseed not need fan for litecoin mining. It is suitable for passive cooling.
-droid-
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 05:11:17 PM

yeah just take the fans off if your mining scrypt only

or you can remove one fan off of one, and put the other with the fan on top so both units only use 1 fan
Spotswood

Activity: 512
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 10:16:10 PM

Hello to everybody,

Tnx

No. However, the  gridseed not need fan for litecoin mining. It is suitable for passive cooling.

Heh?  Huh  Why not?  What's so special about GS that would prevent it from being cooled via mineral oil?   

Glizlack

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 01:07:24 AM

Are you doing this for fun? Or to learn for the future? The Gridseeds just don't seem to be hot enough to go to this trouble in my opinion. You could buy more equipment with what you will spend on tanks and oil more than likely.

Steve

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Angela8488

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 07:02:15 AM

Do not feel safe
slashka

Activity: 248

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 08:15:27 AM

You can put it in oil, but what will cool the oil???

PayCoin - the people's money.
URC Coin - the power of hexagon!
Need a coin website? PM me
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 08:32:31 AM

There is absolutely no need for active cooling (fans or submersion) with the old Gridseed chips if you're running in Scrypt mode. They simply do not get hot enough. It's a waste of time and effort.
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 09:07:09 AM

As many people pointed out, Gridseed units don't run too hot. You can stack two or three Gridseed units on top of other and remove fans from lower units - thus using only one (top unit's) fan for 2-3 units.

Like this -

xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 09:18:49 AM

As many people pointed out, Gridseed units don't run too hot. You can stack two or three Gridseed units on top of other and remove fans from lower units - thus using only one (top unit's) fan for 2-3 units.

Like this -

I did some something similar but I completely removed all of the fans. And where the fans screw on, I screwed 2 units together.
MelodyRowell

Activity: 394

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 10:03:19 AM

Hello to everybody,

I am very new in mining and I am using a very litle rig composed of 2 GridSeed unit (the 5 chips version). I am thinking to buy some other GridSeed unit but the problem is that the fan is too noisy to stay at home.

So some time ago I found that some people use the minarl oil as cooling system for PC.

The procedure is pretty simple: you take an old aquarium, you fill it of mineral oil and you put into the oil the motherboard\CPU\graphic card etcetc...except the hard disk and the component that have mechanichal component.

Is an suitable cooling system also for GridSeed or these are too warm?

Tnx

Yes using mineral oil should work, just make sure it is 100% non-conductive, and only try 1 in-case something goes wrong.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: