Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 12:05:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this a scam? (email supposedly from BlockChain)  (Read 1060 times)
zacharycebu (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:07:32 PM

I got an email with this as the contents:

MY REAL NAME
MY REAL STREET ADDRESS
MY REAL CITY, STATE

Dear MY REAL NAME
you have won 1,34 BTC at our global Bitcoin-winning game.

Username: xxxxxxx
Password: xxxxxxx

Step 1
Download and start the transfer program from easy-transfer.servehttp.com

Step 2
Login with your tempory username and password.

Step 3
Enter yout BTC-Wallet address and click on the receive-button.

I do have Blockchain account, so I'm not sure they really do have some thing where you can win or not. Found this weird because they do have my exact real name, address, etc.

Anyone have any idea?
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:08:10 PM

Most definitely. Blockchain is not doing any contest.
coinmaster222

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:09:11 PM

Doesn't that sound too good to be true? Never download programs from your email.  Roll Eyes

It's probably a phishing scam. If you really want to try this out of curiosity though, be sure to set up a VM and install it there. This way you'll be safe.

cryptodevil
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1254

Thread-puller extraordinaire

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:09:16 PM

"global Bitcoin-winning game"?

Child-like use of English. Besides which, any contest you didn't enter that claims you have won, is bogus.

Always remember that.

WARNING!!! Check your forum URLs carefully and avoid links to phishing sites like 'thebitcointalk' 'bitcointalk.to' and 'BitcointaLLk'
zacharycebu (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:12:11 PM

Ok, i thought so guys, just wanted to ask. I was searching around the email and the information and couldn't find much info about this scam or phishing.

I didnt even click that link, i just did whois/reverseip lookups on the domain seems clean. But ya, sounds too good to be true.

Thanks ya'll Smiley
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:12:27 PM

That is a very weak attempt at a scam.
"Download and start the transfer program" Give me a F#(<!ng break.  Roll Eyes

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:15:00 PM

Ok, i thought so guys, just wanted to ask. I was searching around the email and the information and couldn't find much info about this scam or phishing.

I didnt even click that link, i just did whois/reverseip lookups on the domain seems clean. But ya, sounds too good to be true.

Thanks ya'll Smiley

It's quite weird that he has your name and adress, though. I highly suggest you to change your e-mail address and passwords, and to be more careful where you leave your info in the future.
cryptodevil
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1254

Thread-puller extraordinaire

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:15:46 PM

BTW, if the email contained your correct personal details it doesn't necessarily mean it came from Blockchain. More likely you have had an account elsewhere compromised that is related to Bitcoin and also revealed your contact information and so they are targeting you as a likely user of Blockchain.

WARNING!!! Check your forum URLs carefully and avoid links to phishing sites like 'thebitcointalk' 'bitcointalk.to' and 'BitcointaLLk'
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:18:25 PM

BTW, if the email contained your correct personal details it doesn't necessarily mean it came from Blockchain. More likely you have had an account elsewhere compromised that is related to Bitcoin and also revealed your contact information and so they are targeting you as a likely user of Blockchain.
I think that sounds right. Did you have a gox account? Their list is for sale all over the net now.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
coinmaster222

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:21:36 PM

This is a common tactic. Such information can even be bought around the internet or collected from websites with bad security. You should be a bit carefull of where you put your real info. They can be compromised easily in many cases and also many developers won't be afraid to sell them.

zacharycebu (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:23:53 PM

Yes I did have a gox account that used the same email address that this phishing email sent to me.

I posted about it here http://www.talkbitcoins.com/talk-bitcoins/beware-this-scam/555/ (the exact email they sent to me including their email, i wanted to make sure if someone ever searches that email address they'll find out that it's pretty much scammy)

Thanks guys, ya i'm going to figure out which of my bitcoin-related accounts are using that email and start changing passwords asap.

I appreciate all of you guys'/girls' help Smiley

fck the scammers!!!!!!
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 08:21:06 AM

sweet jesus
any email saying you won, or will win. or you just got deposting X  bitcoins etc etc is a scam
soooooo many of these going around. I am pretty sure its the same person sending 75% of them. its the  same email, just a diff company but same .jar file attachment.

but yeah.. as others said. scam. do not click... delete.. move on Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: