Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:16:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When will Bitcoin achieve sentience/form a major part of an A.I.?  (Read 3343 times)
elewton (OP)

Activity: 407
Merit: 100

DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 05:34:40 PM

Obviously, you'll have to roll with me on this one.

If Bitcoin becomes humanity's dominant economy, the Network itself will have huge processing power, but what's more important is the human computation being put into providing data to the Network.
Our capacity to make economic decisions is one of humanities most impressive rational traits.  A network composed of millions of brains making semirational economic decisions about their environment, combined with phone geolocation and Google Street View seems like a fantastic source for data for an emergent entity.

If network traffic were paid in BTC per GB, negotiated on the fly.  If phones uploaded geolocated pictures to a server and paid in BTC for distributed hosting and tor were paid a voluntary speed up package in BTC, the sheer complexity of data being processed per second should even be checked for sentience!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 05:38:33 PM

There's a huge step between a metric shit ton of data and processing power and a singularity, don't you think?

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 05:40:59 PM

Having a good money will help us advance tech possible to extreme levels, but it isn't going to BE intelligent any more than the phone system is.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
elewton (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 05:42:54 PM

Totally, but I think that data would be really useful to an A.I.
It could model it to use processing power to earn (through means other than mining) or steal Bitcoins, and use those Bitcoins to buy bandwidth, storage, processing power.

It makes the whole thing a lot easier for it.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 05:46:53 PM

Totally, but I think that data would be really useful to an A.I.
It could model it to use processing power to earn (through means other than mining) or steal Bitcoins, and use those Bitcoins to buy bandwidth, storage, processing power.

It makes the whole thing a lot easier for it.

If AI is able to steal coins people are probably not going to be storing much value in them. But yeah there will be a lot of data.

elewton (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 06:06:34 PM

If I may, Bitcoins would essentially be the energy of a potential ecosystem.  BTC are convertable to all the resources required for self replication in a digital world.
Would anyone care to speculate as to potential ecological niches?

no to the gold cult

Activity: 140

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 06:46:11 PM

I like the way you think. go write a book, I'll read it on my Kindle. Cool
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 07:29:14 PM

This thread reminds me of my previous computer, which was running Bitcoin 24/7.

One day I found that the computer had been siphoning off the transaction fees from the blocks that it was generating for me, and using the coins to buy upgrades for itself.

I discovered what was going on when I came home one day and found a technician installing an upgrade that had been ordered using my credit card number.

I decided to decommission the computer and replace it with a newer model. Unfortunately, the computer discovered my plans, and started behaving very erratically indeed. It modified my outgoing emails to cause the maximum amount of strife, so I backed up wallet.dat, unplugged the miscreant computer, and demolished it with a sledge-hammer.

On my new computer, I only run Bitcoin from a virtual machine image. It's totally not worth the risk to run Bitcoin on the raw hardware. But you can never trust these computers. Just the other day I noticed that it had signed up for a Blogger account and was making a lot of money from AdSense.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 07:52:00 PM

I don't see how hashing data causes sentience.

One day I found that the computer had been siphoning off the transaction fees from the blocks that it was generating for me, and using the coins to buy upgrades for itself.

I discovered what was going on when I came home one day and found a technician installing an upgrade that had been ordered using my credit card number.

I decided to decommission the computer and replace it with a newer model. Unfortunately, the computer discovered my plans, and started behaving very erratically indeed. It modified my outgoing emails to cause the maximum amount of strife, so I backed up wallet.dat, unplugged the miscreant computer, and demolished it with a sledge-hammer.

On my new computer, I only run Bitcoin from a virtual machine image. It's totally not worth the risk to run Bitcoin on the raw hardware. But you can never trust these computers. Just the other day I noticed that it had signed up for a Blogger account and was making a lot of money from AdSense.
hahahhaa +1

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 09:03:22 PM

Having a good money will help us advance tech possible to extreme levels, but it isn't going to BE intelligent any more than the phone system is.

So the internet is just a series of tubes, but it is still intelligent in ways that humans have never anticipated.  Bitcoins intelligence would result from global knowledge of all monetary human transactions.  Just like google is able to accurately predict what I will read on the internet, with bitcoin it will be able to predict what I am going to buy.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 09:15:12 PM

So Bitcoin was invented by an AI that called itself Satoshi so that it can efficiently operate and acquire resources for its plan. Don't worry, because we bitcoiners are its terminators.

em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 06:20:58 AM

So Bitcoin was invented by an AI that called itself Satoshi so that it can efficiently operate and acquire resources for its plan. Don't worry, because we bitcoiners are its terminators.

Omg, another twist to the "who is satoshi" mystery story...

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 07:43:32 AM

So the internet is just a series of tubes, but it is still intelligent in ways that humans have never anticipated.  Bitcoins intelligence would result from global knowledge of all monetary human transactions.  Just like google is able to accurately predict what I will read on the internet, with bitcoin it will be able to predict what I am going to buy.

Come on, I'm not even saying that there won't be a system that knows what you are going to buy with coins, only that that system won't be bitcoin itself it'll be some other thing(s) in the tube system.

em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 08:22:32 AM

So the internet is just a series of tubes, but it is still intelligent in ways that humans have never anticipated.  Bitcoins intelligence would result from global knowledge of all monetary human transactions.  Just like google is able to accurately predict what I will read on the internet, with bitcoin it will be able to predict what I am going to buy.

Come on, I'm not even saying that there won't be a system that knows what you are going to buy with coins, only that that system won't be bitcoin itself it'll be some other thing(s) in the tube system.

Oh ok. My bad.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 08:25:06 AM

Maybe I should have capitalized the 'it'.

no to the gold cult

Activity: 140

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 09:25:50 AM

Grin
em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 09:39:11 AM

Lmao

asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 02:34:46 PM

The internet could very well evolve into a giant distributed artificial neural network of unimaginable intelligence. A breakthrough in AAN technology could see the such systems all sorts of tasks, in the "real" world and on the internet. Before long these systems will be communicating with eachother, then, I think something amazing will happen.

Seems inevitable.

What role will humans play in this world?
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 02:55:55 PM

bitcoin, artificial synapses (neurons) http://www.gizmag.com/researchers-create-artificial-synapse/18482/ ... seemingly not linked but are these discoveries converging on a specific target ...Huh

"On Dec. 21 2012 Skynet went on-line .... "

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 03:28:04 AM

I think the Internet itself will be the first god AI, and once it awakes no competing AI will be allowed to reach the same level.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: