Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 02:06:32 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Bitcoin-qt on Linux  (Read 1442 times)
Buo (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 08:23:24 AM

Pre: I'm totally noob in Linux but I need to use the qt inside Ubuntu.

I've downloaded bitcoin-qt 0.9.2.1, inside there are two directories bin and src, in "bin" / "64" there is the bitcoin-qt.
Is this the right file? How can I use it?
If I doubleclick on the qt, Ubuntu says that there's no application to open it.

Don't laugh but help me please   Embarrassed

eid

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:29:30 AM

I think I installed mine from the repository:

http://www.distrogeeks.com/install-bitcoin-qt-ubuntu/

Though I notice now I'm one version behind on 0.91  : /
Dare

Activity: 508

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 09:50:24 AM

I've downloaded bitcoin-qt 0.9.2.1, inside there are two directories bin and src, in "bin" / "64" there is the bitcoin-qt.

If you're new to linux, the repository approach is definitely the easiest approach to take, as you'll be notified of updates.

However, if you're using a 64bit version of Ubuntu, that is the file. Try running `chmod +x bitcoin-qt` in the terminal, insite the bin/64 directroy of the download; this will make the file executable, and should solve your problem.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
FeodoroAndy

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 11:35:01 AM

If you're new to linux, the repository approach is definitely the easiest approach to take, as you'll be notified of updates.

However, if you're using a 64bit version of Ubuntu, that is the file. Try running `chmod +x bitcoin-qt` in the terminal, insite the bin/64 directroy of the download; this will make the file executable, and should solve your problem.

Thanks for your answer, this answered my concern too.
Buo (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:21:11 PM

Ok I wrote "chmod +x bitcoin-qt" and the terminal didn't reply with errors, but then if I write bitcoin-qt it doesn't open   Huh

cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:26:49 PM

You need to include the path.  If you're in that directory you can use ./bitcoin-qt (./ indicates the current directory)
You can also put a link to the file in /usr/local/bin so that it's in your default path

sudo ln -s /bitcoin/bin/64/bitcoin-qt /usr/local/bin/bitcoin-qt
(change the first path to match wherever you have it)

Then typing bitcoin-qt will work from anywhere.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Dare

Activity: 508

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2014, 08:31:55 PM

Don't laugh but help me please   Embarrassed

Ok I wrote "chmod +x bitcoin-qt" and the terminal didn't reply with errors, but then if I write bitcoin-qt it doesn't open   Huh

Are you typing "bitcoin-qt" or "./bitcoin-qt"? The former runs an executable with that name installed from a package, the latter executes the file from the current directory. If you've previously been using the former, either cd to the bin/64 directory and run "./bitcoin-qt" or provide the full path to the file (e.g. "bin/64/bitcoin-qt").

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
Buo (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 08:57:12 PM

Don't laugh but help me please   Embarrassed

Ok I wrote "chmod +x bitcoin-qt" and the terminal didn't reply with errors, but then if I write bitcoin-qt it doesn't open   Huh

Are you typing "bitcoin-qt" or "./bitcoin-qt"? The former runs an executable with that name installed from a package, the latter executes the file from the current directory. If you've previously been using the former, either cd to the bin/64 directory and run "./bitcoin-qt" or provide the full path to the file (e.g. "bin/64/bitcoin-qt").

Typing ./bitcoin-qt the terminal says "permission denied", if I type sudo ./bitcoin-qt it says "command not found", aaargh

Buo (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 08:51:17 PM

Ok it works Smiley
I had to copy the bitcoin directory into the home of the live cd!

Thanks for the support.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: