Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:00:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Karpeles back to living large in one of the most expensive apartments in Tokyo  (Read 10568 times)
MightySpoon (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 05:47:37 PM

So it's a known fact that until trouble began at Mt. Gox in February, CEO Mark Karpeles was residing in a swanky Tokyo apartment building called "La Tour Aobadai". It was listed as his public home address, and he posted some photos from his apartment on Twitter, e.g.

https://i.imgur.com/seujhuo.jpg

(There was actually another nighttime photo of the same view along which he tweeted "View from my new apt~" sometime in 2012, but it seems to have been deleted (even though it was still there literally yesterday!))

I went and recreated the view in Google Maps. Image for the lazy below.

https://i.imgur.com/iUaZ88K.jpg

The edge of the building you can see in the lower-left corner is the roof of "La Tour Aobadai". Pretty convincing, no?

Karpeles moved out of the apartment shortly before trouble began at Mt. Gox, as evidenced by the protesters who went to pay him a visit during this time (only to find he'd already hightailed his ass out of there).

So then there was the infamous "Tokyo sunset" tweet from a few days ago:

https://i.imgur.com/lctA4Z5.png

Now, turn the Google Maps recreation above 180 degrees...:

https://i.imgur.com/PfBbKII.jpg

Aaaand he's back to living in the same apartment building, except this time he's on the north-west side rather than the south-east side.

Judging from the angle and altitude of the photo, it is almost certain that it was taken from a corner apartment on one of the higher floors, which are also the most expensive. Here's a vacancy for a similar apartment, on the same corner Karpeles is living. In fact, he may have just taken the photo straight from the shitter, as if symbolically emptying his bowels all over the Mt. Gox creditors Cheesy

https://i.imgur.com/9Li2rHD.jpg

The scenery behind the toilet is identical to the one in his photo. You may also notice that the rent for this place is 1.6 million yen. That's around $16,000 per MONTH.

Now how the fuck is this possible?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ARGpentem

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 05:50:28 PM

maybe because he stole all the bitcoins? Tongue

A freedom fighter. Stop all your bull shit !
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 05:53:13 PM

Maybe he likes to take a crap whit the entire Tokyo looking at him?
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 05:58:37 PM

One or more of the creditors need to "pierce the corporate veil" and go after the assets of Tibanne and Karpeles' personal assets in the MTGox bankruptcy.

Edit: Then he will not even be able to afford a capsule here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakagin_Capsule_Tower

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:10:24 PM

What ever happened here ?
I know the story of how they went bankrupt or whatever.... "lost" bitcoins, but I mean is their pending lawsuits ? criminal action ?
or is the ol' classic bitcoin 'nothing ever happens' going to prevail again. Really hope not. Just gives the next guy that much more incentive to pull the same shit. Or the same guy, either or Sad

williamj2543

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 06:13:53 PM

He is taking the money from Mt. Gox. Does anyone know all the BTC addresses? Check if there is any new deposits/withdrawals.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:14:56 PM

maybe because he stole all the bitcoins? Tongue

YA THINK?

ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:15:03 PM

I'm pretty much sure, he has enough of "private" BTC that wa snever in those large BTC adresses. If you'r wondering who is selling 1-2k BTc when those drops happe, now you know who  Grin

CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:20:10 PM

Have Willy drive up the bubble, then slowly sell thousands and thousands of bitcoins.... live large. Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. Hats off, Mr. Karpeles.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:22:46 PM

One or more of the creditors need to "pierce the corporate veil" and go after the assets of Tibanne and Karpeles' personal assets in the MTGox bankruptcy.

Edit: Then he will not even be able to afford a capsule here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakagin_Capsule_Tower

good thought but might not help that much if he has tons of coins

nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:30:44 PM

Pretty swanky looking place there.  Although I think he's going to need to get a much larger toilet!  Pretty disgusted by the behavior of this guy.  The tweets are bad enough.  My hats off to Andreas for speaking his piece in that CoinDesk article.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:39:54 PM

This Japanese justice system works very well against the violent crimes. But at the same time, it is having almost no effect on the white-collar criminals. Japan is turning to be a perfect refuge to all those financial crooks.
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:44:21 PM

This Japanese justice system works very well against the violent crimes. But at the same time, it is having almost no effect on the white-collar criminals. Japan is turning to be a perfect refuge to all those financial crooks.

Not to mention drug crimes. It's one of the country where drugs are the most expensive, because of how severe and efficient they are against them.

I find their sense of priorities truly disturbing.
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:46:26 PM

To paraphrase, if an exchange operates from Japan, don't trade on it. Which other countries are the same?
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:48:03 PM

why, this guy, is not in jail ?
i don't understand the justice ...  Roll Eyes
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:48:38 PM

Shouldn't he be rotting in jail right now.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:50:05 PM

Why? He just stole some virtal money or something like that? Honest fella...

devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:52:26 PM

why, this guy, is not in jail ?
i don't understand the justice ...  Roll Eyes

But he apologized, didn't he?
illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:53:27 PM

It's only magic internet money. He said he was sorry and bowed.
freedombit

Activity: 274

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 04:38:09 AM

Pretty swanky looking place there.  Although I think he's going to need to get a much larger toilet!  Pretty disgusted by the behavior of this guy.  The tweets are bad enough.  My hats off to Andreas for speaking his piece in that CoinDesk article.

Will you please provide a link?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: