Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 05:49:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Some statistics on welfare  (Read 2510 times)
hackjack (OP)

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 08:00:13 AM

Many Americans seem to hold strong views on welfare but seldom can agree on the statistics. This website claims that only 4.1 % of Americans are on welfare while other sites claim its higher.  Many folks claim its predominantly blacks who are on welfare which as far as this site suggests is not the case at all. Some claim whole families have existed for generation on welfare but here it suggests that over 80% of those are supported with assistance for less than 5 years.

Like most everything in America today its political as well. Many conservative are against welfare and some want it abolished altogether. Many liberals support assistance and even want to see it increased. Many on both sides want to see firmer controls on who can and cannot collect and for how long. What do you think of these stats? Any surprises? Do you have others you think are more accurate? How do you feel about welfare? What are your views?

www.statisticbrain.com/welfare-statistics

sana8410

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 08:59:39 AM

There is nothing wrong with helping people when they need it.  But those that scam the system should be thrown off for life and do some jail time - that's just out and out theft.  food stamps should be used only for food - as is what they were intended for, not liquor, not lottery tickets, not for nude bars... food only....  Welfare should be a safety net, not a life time entitlement.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 09:06:59 AM

You really should listen to this radio conversation. I know you won't...but you really should.

She called in to brag about how she gets to sit home all day and she gets to ”visit my friends all day” as well as ”smoke weed” instead of working for a paycheck. The women claimed to be getting about $450 altogether in food stamps.

[She] told the radio host, “Can you really blame us?? The caller, Lucy, goes on to claim that while her husband works part-time, he doesn’t really work that much because “he doesn’t see the need for it.

…[She] goes on to ask an incredibly valid question, “Why should I work?” She also says, “We’re the one’s getting paid, can you really blame us?”

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/01/111112-listen-welfare-abuser-brag-stealing-money-taxpayers/

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 12:33:21 PM

Many Americans seem to hold strong views on welfare but seldom can agree on the statistics. This website claims that only 4.1 % of Americans are on welfare while other sites claim its higher.  Many folks claim its predominantly blacks who are on welfare which as far as this site suggests is not the case at all. Some claim whole families have existed for generation on welfare but here it suggests that over 80% of those are supported with assistance for less than 5 years.

Like most everything in America today its political as well. Many conservative are against welfare and some want it abolished altogether. Many liberals support assistance and even want to see it increased. Many on both sides want to see firmer controls on who can and cannot collect and for how long. What do you think of these stats? Any surprises? Do you have others you think are more accurate? How do you feel about welfare? What are your views?

www.statisticbrain.com/welfare-statistics
Your stats look pretty good ;  now if you could learn to read and comprehend; you'd understand what conservatives are talking about.  20% of the people who receive welfare are generational clients. That doesn't strike you as wrong?  ONE family in FIVE on welfare have made a career of it. Since this story is just talking about "welfare"; I'm guessing it doesn't include the chronic un-employed, or those that found a good "doctor" and are signed up for lifetime disability payments because they have a "personality disorder", or a "bad back" at age 27.  Also your stats show that over 55% of their "welfare" recipients are minorities-----  what percentage of the general population  do they represent?
umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 12:47:27 PM

When people need assistance, really need it, they ought to get it because we are decent and kind people. But there are so many who scam the system or are trapped into becoming institutionalized that they resemble recidivist criminals who can't function in society and require the structure the state provides. Example:

EMS call for a sick teenager. Family in public housing project and on Medicaid. Presume that they are on food stamps and WIC for little ones. The persons on the Medicaid form included the following:

Grandma (in her early fifties if I am a judge of such things - I know better than to ask a lady!)

Mom (maybe around early thirties)

Elder daughter (17)

Son of elder daughter (3)

Daughter of elder daughter (1)

Younger daughter (15)

Younger daughter is pregnant in third trimester.

Six people, four last names on the Medicaid document. Their situation is a little extreme but by no means unusual. Grandma, Mom, and elder daughter all appear healthy, fit, (reasonably) sane, and able to work. None do. Are we really helping that family? I say we are not.

Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:27:58 PM

Is there paying work? Is there lack of work force?

As long as answer to those is no, there is no welfare problems.

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
zolace

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 04:13:00 PM

When people need assistance, really need it, they ought to get it because we are decent and kind people. But there are so many who scam the system or are trapped into becoming institutionalized that they resemble recidivist criminals who can't function in society and require the structure the state provides. Example:

EMS call for a sick teenager. Family in public housing project and on Medicaid. Presume that they are on food stamps and WIC for little ones. The persons on the Medicaid form included the following:

Grandma (in her early fifties if I am a judge of such things - I know better than to ask a lady!)

Mom (maybe around early thirties)

Elder daughter (17)

Son of elder daughter (3)

Daughter of elder daughter (1)

Younger daughter (15)

Younger daughter is pregnant in third trimester.

Six people, four last names on the Medicaid document. Their situation is a little extreme but by no means unusual. Grandma, Mom, and elder daughter all appear healthy, fit, (reasonably) sane, and able to work. None do. Are we really helping that family? I say we are not.
I agree , I've always like the idea that if a person is not totally disabled they should be required to do community service or some kind of productive work in order to receive assistance. Everyone wants to be a productive member of society don't they?
Not to mention they would be cutting our tax burden in the process.

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
sana8410

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 04:18:09 PM

The problem arises when these unproductive people have children. Cutting welfare benefits from these people means that their children are affected. If we can find a way do see that children are taken of and their parents are not maybe we can get people to be more productive.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
zolace

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 04:21:04 PM

The problem arises when these unproductive people have children. Cutting welfare benefits from these people means that their children are affected. If we can find a way do see that children are taken of and their parents are not maybe we can get people to be more productive.
There is such a thing as generational welfare, and being trapped in a cycle of poverty.  It does involve a mindset, but it is far more complicated than can be explained away with "lazy and entitled".  If you start with poor education and lack of skill sets, combine it with limited opportunity, or the availability of only low/minimum wage employment that keeps them in poverty...then you get "what's the point?"  They do better (financially) by simply staying put.

There's also this:  People who are disabled, but still capable of doing simple jobs or tasks that pay low...get their welfare benefits cut, so they stay stuck in the same or worse situation.   

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
Rigon

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 04:35:06 PM

There is such a thing as generational welfare, and being trapped in a cycle of poverty.  It does involve a mindset, but it is far more complicated than can be explained away with "lazy and entitled".  If you start with poor education and lack of skill sets, combine it with limited opportunity, or the availability of only low/minimum wage employment that keeps them in poverty...then you get "what's the point?"  They do better (financially) by simply staying put.

There's also this:  People who are disabled, but still capable of doing simple jobs or tasks that pay low...get their welfare benefits cut, so they stay stuck in the same or worse situation.   
I don't really buy that.  I mean, I believe that is the justification, I just don't believe it's valid.  Even the guys who clean at the school probably don't have education or a specialized skill set, and may not even come out much further ahead than someone on welfare, if at all.  But they have the integrity to want to work regardless, and to put in the hours for their pay even if they could make as much sitting around on welfare and every government benefit they can qualify for.
There are people who could be on welfare and do just about as well as they do at their jobs, but they work anyway because it's the right thing to do.

I don't feel sorry for those who choose to do the opposite.

Government benefits should be for those who are truly in need, not those who just figure they're just as well off not working.
zolace

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 04:39:29 PM

I don't really buy that.  I mean, I believe that is the justification, I just don't believe it's valid.  Even the guys who clean at the school probably don't have education or a specialized skill set, and may not even come out much further ahead than someone on welfare, if at all.  But they have the integrity to want to work regardless, and to put in the hours for their pay even if they could make as much sitting around on welfare and every government benefit they can qualify for.
There are people who could be on welfare and do just about as well as they do at their jobs, but they work anyway because it's the right thing to do.

Government benefits should be for those who are truly in need, not those who just figure they're just as well off not working.
don't look down on the guys who keep our schools clean. Any work is honorable, and as a matter of fact I have a friend that is a janitor at a school and he does fine, he even bought a fixer upper on a lake in the beautiful Laurentians
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurentian_Mountains
and he renovated it and it's gorgeous. Not to mention the bennies and pension from a gov. job. 
The guy works hard, does good work and is enjoying his life. It is what we make of it.........life. 
Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it ain't impossible either. My friend the janitor is living a dream...
lakeside in the Laurentians

The glass really is half full.........

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
sana8410

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 04:39:49 PM

So keep them on full welfare, but with a stipulation that they train for some sort of skilled job. Then after a year or two, whatever the program might be they transition into full time work. I don't personally know of one person who can not find work. Adults, kids coming out of college, everyone I know and their kids too have good jobs. 
Basically if the gov. gives you money you have to earn it if you're physically able. Community service, jobs programs, menial labor for some public works. Just make it so a person can't sit home watching the Jerry Springer show eating Cheetos while they wait for a check. Want a hand up, no problem...........earn it.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Rigon

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 04:50:06 PM

don't look down on the guys who keep our schools clean. Any work is honorable, and as a matter of fact I have a friend that is a janitor at a school and he does fine, he even bought a fixer upper on a lake in the beautiful Laurentians
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurentian_Mountains
and he renovated it and it's gorgeous. Not to mention the bennies and pension from a gov. job. 
The guy works hard, does good work and is enjoying his life. It is what we make of it.........life. 
Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it ain't impossible either. My friend the janitor is living a dream...
lakeside in the Laurentians

The glass really is half full.........
What in the world made you think I was looking down on him after saying that he has integrity to work at a job that doesn't pay well because he has a work ethic?
Rigon

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 04:55:33 PM

I suppose I should say our janitors are not well paid, and I doubt they get great benefits either.  I know and like the man, and he walks to work from his small shotgun style house that has probably been around since who knows when.  He is a hard working guy.
zolace

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 05:02:44 PM

Even the guys who clean at the school probably don't have education or a specialized skill set, and may not even come out much further ahead than someone on welfare, if at all.

I don't think that statement was exactly putting the guy in a positive light. I guess because my friend is highly intelligent, very skilled in a variety of sets and will retire with a beautiful home on a lake in a scenic part of Quebec with a good pension and a couple rental properties. I guess the janitor I know doesn't fit your view does he?

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 11:09:08 PM

Amazing to see several welfare supporters on this board. I shall remind those people that in India, in Nigeria and 50 more countries, about 2 billions people are in urgent need of everything, please help them as much as you can. Thank you.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:19:44 AM

That's the lazy way out.  If every American waited for somebody to give them a job then we would have no Henry Ford.  If there's no job, you make one.  You hustle.  You work your ass off.  You offer to mow lawns, wash cars, etc.  Don't sit on your ass watching Oprah and Dr. Oz.  If you have trouble making ends meet take the public assistance, but don't sit on your ass wondering why somebody from McDonald's hasn't run to your front door with a uniform begging you to work.

The people spoiled on welfare don't know poverty.  In 1932 how many people walked door to door asking if work was available.  I doubt more than 5% of the welfare generationals even try this.
sana8410

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 11:38:14 AM

That's the lazy way out.  If every American waited for somebody to give them a job then we would have no Henry Ford.  If there's no job, you make one.  You hustle.  You work your ass off.  You offer to mow lawns, wash cars, etc.  Don't sit on your ass watching Oprah and Dr. Oz.  If you have trouble making ends meet take the public assistance, but don't sit on your ass wondering why somebody from McDonald's hasn't run to your front door with a uniform begging you to work.

The people spoiled on welfare don't know poverty.  In 1932 how many people walked door to door asking if work was available.  I doubt more than 5% of the welfare generationals even try this.
There are 4.5 million jobs now going vacant in the US.  No one is trained to fill them.  Many jobs require only 3 months training some more but over 80% of jobs could be trained for in one year. Some corporations are understanding this and are working toward helping their workers become trained.

We have moved into a new age and are having a hard time keeping up especially with a government that right now is uunfunctionable. We need to take our community colleges and have them work with the various companies in that area and design training for their new employees.  We have done that here in Spokane and it worked very well.  That idea needs to expand to all states. Unions used to do a lot of trianing but with the decline of unions we have lost a lot of training for the trades.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Rigon

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 11:40:11 AM

Even the guys who clean at the school probably don't have education or a specialized skill set, and may not even come out much further ahead than someone on welfare, if at all.

I don't think that statement was exactly putting the guy in a positive light. I guess because my friend is highly intelligent, very skilled in a variety of sets and will retire with a beautiful home on a lake in a scenic part of Quebec with a good pension and a couple rental properties. I guess the janitor I know doesn't fit your view does he?
I'm happy for your janitor friend, but that's not how it is for mine.  Sorry if that offends you, but it has nothing to do with looking down on him.  I quite respect him for his work when so many in his position would choose differently.  Mr. Nate would not take a handout so long as he could work.
zolace

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 11:43:26 AM

I'm happy for your janitor friend, but that's not how it is for mine.  Sorry if that offends you, but it has nothing to do with looking down on him.  I quite respect him for his work when so many in his position would choose differently.  Mr. Nate would not take a handout so long as he could work.
I know , it really boils down to the individual. We do kind of make our own luck I think. For instance I had a busboy from Lebanon, he came here with a couple hundred bucks in his pocket, 20 years old. He took a job as a busboy at two different restaurants, one by day, one by night. He saved his money and after 5 years he was able to put a down payment on a 3 bedroom house. He spent what spare time he had finishing the basement and after 2 years he sold that house for an 80,000 profit...................and so on. Now he is a small business owner with a wife and 2 kids.
Then there is the busboy that spends his pay as soon as he gets it, doesn't have a car, a rental apt. and collection agencies after his ass constantly. I'm sure he tells everyone how he is 'only' a busboy and he doesn't make enough money.
Character is the difference. Since some people are lacking in that quality then we need to require them to do the right thing for the good of everyone. Hence my views on welfare.........

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: