Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:58:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Daily Auction] 300+ Two Letter .bit Domains (Namecoin)  (Read 11095 times)
phelix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 09:29:53 AM
Last edit: June 14, 2013, 01:00:48 PM by phelix

Interest in decentralized DNS in general and Namecoin in particular is rising again. The day might come these systems will prevent Bitcoin from being oppressed. I recommend every Bitcoin project or company to be accessible via a .bit domain or shortcut domain.

Khal has developed a new easy and elegant way for everybody to access .bit domains via a small OS configuration change (dns suffix). Install now!

To gain more attention to the Namecoin project I will sell one two letter .bit domain every 24~48 hours.
10% of the price will go into a Namecoin marketing and development fund.

I will stop each round at a random time more than 24h after start.
Make your bid in the thread. It is only valid once I know the domain you are interested in. Let me know in the thread or by PM.
(I need to know the domain up front so the next round can start right away with the previous domain removed.)
Minimum bid: ...
(all bids in btc, payment in nmc possible converted by the highest bid on http://exchange.bitparking.com at round stop time)
If you don't state otherwise and your domain is still available your bid will roll over to the next round.
Money first.
Once you get one of the domains you need to send me a namecoin address to send the domain to. You can also send me an IP to point the domain to.
This offer is limited to one domain per forum member with at least 50 posts.

Round001 - finished.
Round002 - finished.
Round003 - finished (fv).
Round004 will start with the first legitimate bid.

Available Namecoin .bit domains:
Code:
ae aj ak aq ay
bg bh bm bn bq bs bu bw
cf cg cm cq cw cx
dg di dn dq dt dv dw dy dz
eb ej ek el em eo ep eq ew ey
fa fc fd fe fg fh fk fn fo fy fz
ga gi gj gk gn gp gq gr gu gv gx gy
hc hf hg hj hk hm hn hv hw hy
ig ih ij ik iv iw iy iz
jb jd je jf jg jh ji jk jl jm jq jt ju jv jw jx jy jz
ka kc kd ke kf kg kh ki kj kl kp kq kr ks kt kv kx ky
lb lc lf lh lj lq lt lv lw lx
ma mf mg mi mo mq mz
nd nh nj nk nm nq nr nv nw
oa oc oe of og oh ol oq ou ov oy
pd pf ph pj pn pq pr pt pu pv px
qb qc qd qe qf qg qh qj qk ql qm qn qo qp qv qx qy qz
ra rb rd rh ri rj rk rl rn rq rv ry rz
sb sj sl sm sn sq st sv sy
tb te tk tl tm tn tp tq tz
ub uc ud ue uf ug uj ul um uq uv ux uz
va vb vd ve vf vg vh vn vo vq vr vt vu vx vy vz
wa wf wg wh wi wj wk wl wn wo wq ws wt wv wz
xa xb xd xf xg xh xj xk xl xm xn xq xr xs xw xy
yb yc yd yf yg yh yi yj yl ym yn yo yq yr ys yv yx
zb zc zd ze zg zh zi zj zk zl zm zn zo zp zq zr zs zt zv zw zx zy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 09:32:49 AM
Last edit: February 26, 2012, 07:39:18 PM by phelix

Round001 - Start.

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2012, 06:12:01 PM

God I fucking hate domain squatters.  The scummy underbelly of the major TLDs and now in Namecoin as well.

You guys are suck fucksticks, I hope you die.  Well, if it's not you, it's some other cockgobbler doing it, so might was well make a buck, huh?

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
joeyjoe

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 12:40:27 AM

So these domains will only work if people change DNS settings to forward requests to another site?

so what gives them value?

anyone could do this.

Bitcoin PHP programmer for hire! (HTML / CSS / JQuery / AJAX / .NET).
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 03:12:36 AM

God I fucking hate domain squatters.  The scummy underbelly of the major TLDs and now in Namecoin as well.

You guys are suck fucksticks, I hope you die.  Well, if it's not you, it's some other cockgobbler doing it, so might was well make a buck, huh?
this

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
TorrentMaster

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 07:17:01 AM

God I fucking hate domain squatters.  The scummy underbelly of the major TLDs and now in Namecoin as well.

You guys are suck fucksticks, I hope you die.  Well, if it's not you, it's some other cockgobbler doing it, so might was well make a buck, huh?

I loled and understand your point. However I doubt this guy is going to make more money doing this than working min wage.

The domains if you order them through the site are only 1.5btc. So depending on how much people bid I would assume if he makes at least .5 btc on each x 300. Would be 150btc (697.50$ at current market rate) and that would just be profit.

I want one but I only have 25 posts. If there is an exception I will bid 2.01btc.
DrHaribo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2012, 10:45:16 AM

The domains if you order them through the site are only 1.5btc.

If you register them yourself with a namecoind it looks like they are 0.03 NMC (0.015 name_new and 0.015 name_firstupdate). That's about 0.00012 BTC per domain. I don't think I'd use the registrar and pay 1.5 BTC if I was going to buy that many.

▶▶▶ bitminter.com 2011-2020 ▶▶▶ pool.xbtodigital.io 2023-
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 12:20:11 PM

I loled and understand your point. However I doubt this guy is going to make more money doing this than working min wage.

The domains if you order them through the site are only 1.5btc. So depending on how much people bid I would assume if he makes at least .5 btc on each x 300. Would be 150btc (697.50$ at current market rate) and that would just be profit.

I want one but I only have 25 posts. If there is an exception I will bid 2.01btc.

I don't want to make an exception already for the first round. the point is to make sure these domains go to different people, potential supporters of namecoin.

If nobody else objects I could reserve the domain you are interested in. but if I remove it from the list people will know which one it is.

(more answers coming Smiley

phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 12:33:28 PM

Welcome to planet earth.

While I find your point somewhat extreme and have no time to waste fighting you about it, would very much enjoy discussing it in a civilized manner.

What do you think about the bitcoin early adopters?
What about property and real estate, gold, basic resources?

This is speculation in a free market, it makes the system work. Communism is the alternative beautiful idea but unfortunately it does not seem to work well with humans.

I registered these domains some time last year when the price of coins was plummeting after the (inevitable) switch to merged mining. A while before I started I stated publicly that domains were too cheap.

If an average squatter makes a 100% profit, to what percentage would the profit have to drop so that it would be protecting the domains from squatters?

What about your pool by the way? Why don't you close it and tell your users to use p2pool, which would be much healthier for bitcoin? Well, I enjoy using it, especially the namecoins I mine at your pool   Tongue

phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 12:35:10 PM

The domains if you order them through the site are only 1.5btc.

If you register them yourself with a namecoind it looks like they are 0.03 NMC (0.015 name_new and 0.015 name_firstupdate). That's about 0.00012 BTC per domain. I don't think I'd use the registrar and pay 1.5 BTC if I was going to buy that many.

when I registered them domains were still more expensive
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 12:38:15 PM

God I fucking hate domain squatters.  The scummy underbelly of the major TLDs and now in Namecoin as well.

You guys are suck fucksticks, I hope you die.  Well, if it's not you, it's some other cockgobbler doing it, so might was well make a buck, huh?
this

from your user ID you should have had the chance to buy bitcoins relatively cheap. why don't you hand them out to the people that came later? what is the difference between squatting domains and coins? sure there are differences but there are some overlaps, too.
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 12:44:10 PM

So these domains will only work if people change DNS settings to forward requests to another site?

so what gives them value?

anyone could do this.

by adding a dns suffix it is now possible to only send .bit domain requests to special namecoin dns servers. (at the moment only khal's server, dns suffix support probably in beta)

the point is that the ips the domains are directed to are tracked and maintained in a decentralized network. namecoin is a bitcoin fork (the first?) that can be merge mined with bitcoin (the first fork to support it?).

you can also run the namecoin client for dns requests locally and be totally independent from dns servers. it should be harder to shut down the namecoin dns system than to change/delete the entries in the 13 root dns servers in the world. There is a theoretic chance this might happen to oppress bitcoin for example.

consequently there are approaches to add namecoin support to opendns, i2p, tor.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2012, 03:36:51 PM

Your comparisons are not valid, unfortunately.  Early adopters of a service, or people buying low/selling high, real estate, gold, basic resources, etc... are an entirely different modality. 

Those things are commodity items or limited resources.  You could potentially make the case that real estate is similar and I would be consent.  However, domain squatting is something entirely different.  The point and intention of the domain name system is to translate from words to numbers, which is where the real estate comparison breaks down, never mind all the other comparisons, which have nothing to do with it.

What you are doing is breaking the DNS system by squatting the domains (but like I said, if not you, it would be someone else).  The DNS system is intended to allow individuals (companies, people, etc...) to properly translate their human readable/memorizable/understandable words into ineternet assigned numbers.  By squatting you are preventing this from happening and/or holding it for ransom.  It's an unfortunate consequence of how DNS was designed, to be open and virtually unmanaged... while it allows/allowed freedom of action by anyone and everyone, with that freedom came the cheaters and stealers looking to make a quick buck.

Comparison to communism is somewhat apt, but it's more of a morality thing.  It's more like stealing and then selling the stolen goods back to the person... although that analogy breaks down as well due to the fact that the person likely did not own it prior to the transaction.  So I guess you could look at it like a combination of theft and communism.  You're taking more than your share of the loaves of bread, so someone, somewhere, is not going to get a loaf without paying you for it.

So that's why I don't plan on closing down the pool, since I don't run a hoppable pool, no one is getting more than their fair share at the expense of others.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 07:54:53 PM

Your comparisons are not valid, unfortunately.  Early adopters of a service, or people buying low/selling high, real estate, gold, basic resources, etc... are an entirely different modality. 

Those things are commodity items or limited resources.  You could potentially make the case that real estate is similar and I would be consent.  However, domain squatting is something entirely different.  The point and intention of the domain name system is to translate from words to numbers, which is where the real estate comparison breaks down, never mind all the other comparisons, which have nothing to do with it.

What you are doing is breaking the DNS system by squatting the domains (but like I said, if not you, it would be someone else).  The DNS system is intended to allow individuals (companies, people, etc...) to properly translate their human readable/memorizable/understandable words into ineternet assigned numbers.  By squatting you are preventing this from happening and/or holding it for ransom.  It's an unfortunate consequence of how DNS was designed, to be open and virtually unmanaged... while it allows/allowed freedom of action by anyone and everyone, with that freedom came the cheaters and stealers looking to make a quick buck.

Comparison to communism is somewhat apt, but it's more of a morality thing.  It's more like stealing and then selling the stolen goods back to the person... although that analogy breaks down as well due to the fact that the person likely did not own it prior to the transaction.  So I guess you could look at it like a combination of theft and communism.  You're taking more than your share of the loaves of bread, so someone, somewhere, is not going to get a loaf without paying you for it.

So that's why I don't plan on closing down the pool, since I don't run a hoppable pool, no one is getting more than their fair share at the expense of others.

The bread picture would work well for bitcoins, too...

Especially these two letter domains I consider very similar to resources. Many people could use them. I bought them and if I'm lucky will be able to sell them for more. It has nothing to do with theft. In the meantime I have a strong interest to improve Namecoin and make it more popular --> free market is perfectly working.

I don't see much option to distribute domains other than "first come first serve" or some kind of...  auction. Cheesy 

Of course the initial price for registration should not be too low.  Roll Eyes

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 08:13:02 PM

Especially these two letter domains I consider very similar to resources. Many people could use them. I bought them and if I'm lucky will be able to sell them for more. It has nothing to do with theft. In the meantime I have a strong interest to improve Namecoin and make it more popular --> free market is perfectly working.
But for bitcoins, each and every bitcoin is the same, rather than domain names, where the name matters.
There's a big difference between mining a block early on, and spamming registrations. Imagine what will happen if i registered all the top 10k English words in namecoin (it will only take a mere 1.2 BTC), and resell it. Would that be fair to other users?
I don't see much option to distribute domains other than "first come first serve" or some kind of...  auction. Cheesy

Of course the initial price for registration should not be too low.  Roll Eyes
So you are here to make a quick buck. Roll Eyes

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 08:56:02 PM

But for bitcoins, each and every bitcoin is the same, rather than domain names, where the name matters.
There's a big difference between mining a block early on, and spamming registrations. Imagine what will happen if i registered all the top 10k English words in namecoin (it will only take a mere 1.2 BTC), and resell it. Would that be fair to other users?
I don't see much option to distribute domains other than "first come first serve" or some kind of...  auction. Cheesy

Of course the initial price for registration should not be too low.  Roll Eyes
So you are here to make a quick buck. Roll Eyes

yezz, but I by doing so I will save bitcoinzees from badse governments  Cheesy
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2012, 04:48:36 AM

First, how does domain squatting improve bitcoin or namecoin?  it just destroys namecoin, exactly like domain squatters destroyed the TLDs. 

It's exactly like theft.  You are taking an item and reselling.  The intent of the DNS is to translate names for those intending to use them.  You are not intending to use them, thus you are stealing them.  DNS names are not intended to be resold or held without a legitimate purpose.  It's just an unfortunate side effect of the design of the system that allows you to do so.  You are exploiting that.

phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 08:10:39 AM
Last edit: February 27, 2012, 08:21:33 AM by phelix

First, how does domain squatting improve bitcoin or namecoin?  it just destroys namecoin, exactly like domain squatters destroyed the TLDs.  

It's exactly like theft.  You are taking an item and reselling.  The intent of the DNS is to translate names for those intending to use them.  You are not intending to use them, thus you are stealing them.  DNS names are not intended to be resold or held without a legitimate purpose.  It's just an unfortunate side effect of the design of the system that allows you to do so.  You are exploiting that.

of course I am exploiting a weakness but that is the core of a free market.

it is not theft. I am not taking it, I am buying it from the registration instance, kinda like an ipo. If I wander along the country side (not owned by anybody) and find a gold nugget and sell it - is that theft?

Also it does not destroy Namecoin but quite the opposite. It is like I hold shares of Namecoin. If I am doing a good job as a squatter I will now do what I can do make it flourish.

Have you considered registering a .bit domain for your pool? I will not dare to touch it but soon somebody will get the idea to register all .bit names for bitcoin related websites and pools. I just hope the guy will not be too greedy.

That's what I don't like - overly greedy domain squatters. Also it stinks that namecoin.com/.org do not point to the project.

phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 08:12:48 AM
Last edit: February 27, 2012, 09:31:18 AM by phelix

Round001 - on hold. Will restart as new with the first legitimate bid.

The 50 posts limit is removed for now so any verified forum member can bid.
edit: Money first.

phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 09:34:15 AM

lol, also why are we not in the auctions area?

"Auctions may optionally be placed in this section."

I considered but decided against it. a) I have zero experience with that subsection. b) I thought it would be uncomfortable and messy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: