Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:09:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Daily Auction] 300+ Two Letter .bit Domains (Namecoin)  (Read 11097 times)
TorrentMaster

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 11:04:03 AM

So my bid counts?  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2012, 01:45:56 PM

of course I am exploiting a weakness but that is the core of a free market.

it is not theft. I am not taking it, I am buying it from the registration instance, kinda like an ipo. If I wander along the country side (not owned by anybody) and find a gold nugget and sell it - is that theft?

You keep trying to equate your exploitation of a weakness in the inherent design of the system with natural resources.  Natural resources were not designed with a specific purpose in mind, they just exist to be utilized in whatever manner the user sees fit.  The DNS system was not designed that way, it was simply an unfortunate consequence.  You are trying to justify your actions and it doesn't work.  Yes, you are absolutely stealing, if from no one else then you are stealing from Paul Mockapetris, since it would all be linked back to him as the first owner.  He did not authorize you to take it and he disagrees with your taking it, therefore you have stolen it.

Your justification is like trying to say "Well, this GPL software left the source available, so I can do whatever I want with it."  Wrong.

Also it does not destroy Namecoin but quite the opposite. It is like I hold shares of Namecoin. If I am doing a good job as a squatter I will now do what I can do make it flourish.

Again, completely wrong.  You destroy namecoin, just like the TLDs have been wrecked due to squatters.  I can't go out and register a TLD for my own use for a project because virtually all English words have been registered, with most of them being held by squatters.  It would be a different matter if the domain I wanted was being actively used by another company, individual, etc... but most are not.  Just like you are not using them.  It wrecks the system.  You are damaging Namecoin by doing so - making it as difficult and frustrating to use as regular DNS.

Have you considered registering a .bit domain for your pool? I will not dare to touch it but soon somebody will get the idea to register all .bit names for bitcoin related websites and pools. I just hope the guy will not be too greedy.

I have, and find it not worth the effort.  I have exactly zero faith that namecoin will go anywhere, so I really don't care.  There are too many flaws in the namecoin system for it to succeed.  The only thing NMC is, is a temporary additional incoming to mining BTC.  

That's what I don't like - overly greedy domain squatters. Also it stinks that namecoin.com/.org do not point to the project.

Haha, this is priceless.  You don't like overly greedy domain squatters, yet you are being overly greedy yourself.  You are charging someone (or hoping to, anyway) more than what it costs to register it themselves, therefore you are being overly greedy.  If you were just holding the domains and then giving them out at cost to the appropriate people, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  

I also love how you think it stinks that namecoin.org/net don't point to the project due to squatters, but you somehow think it's ok for you to do the same thing.  Pot, meet kettle.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
phelix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 03:45:10 PM

So my bid counts?  Wink
With this post of your's it does  Wink

Round001 - restarted.

Start time: torrentmaster's post above (#24)

Current highest bid: 2.01btc (torrentmaster)
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 03:52:09 PM

lol, also why are we not in the auctions area?

"Auctions may optionally be placed in this section."

I considered but decided against it. a) I have zero experience with that subsection. b) I thought it would be uncomfortable and messy.

in auctions posts can't be edited... i'm not interested in anything you are selling, but if i was i'd not bid here.

from what I understand I could not edit the first post then. how would I remove sold domains?

Would you be afraid of me changing the offer or other bidders changing their bids?
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 04:01:00 PM

[...]
Have you considered registering a .bit domain for your pool? I will not dare to touch it but soon somebody will get the idea to register all .bit names for bitcoin related websites and pools. I just hope the guy will not be too greedy.

I have, and find it not worth the effort.  I have exactly zero faith that namecoin will go anywhere, so I really don't care.  There are too many flaws in the namecoin system for it to succeed.  The only thing NMC is, is a temporary additional incoming to mining BTC.  
The more I look at it the more convinced I am. Could you point me to the flaws in the namecoin thread, on the namecoin forum or by pm? If bitcoin works I don't see why namecoin should not.

That's what I don't like - overly greedy domain squatters. Also it stinks that namecoin.com/.org do not point to the project.

Haha, this is priceless.  You don't like overly greedy domain squatters, yet you are being overly greedy yourself.  You are charging someone (or hoping to, anyway) more than what it costs to register it themselves, therefore you are being overly greedy.  If you were just holding the domains and then giving them out at cost to the appropriate people, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  

I also love how you think it stinks that namecoin.org/net don't point to the project due to squatters, but you somehow think it's ok for you to do the same thing.  Pot, meet kettle.

I would buy namecoin.com/.org for 2btc any day.

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2012, 12:19:07 AM

The more I look at it the more convinced I am. Could you point me to the flaws in the namecoin thread, on the namecoin forum or by pm? If bitcoin works I don't see why namecoin should not.

I don't need to point you to any threads, I can show you why right here:

Last login: Sat Feb 25 19:32:33 2012 from XXXXX
XXXXXX@eclipsemc:~$ dig namecoin.bit

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> namecoin.bit
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 43928
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;namecoin.bit.                  IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       1800    IN      SOA     a.root-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 2012022701 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 132 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.Cool
;; WHEN: Mon Feb 27 18:04:56 2012
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 105

Until Joe Average can resolve a .bit domain with zero special configuration, it is full of fail.  Seeing as Alternet is basically a failure, there is absolutely no way Namecoin is going to succeed where Alternet has failed.

But you can't because the squatter wants 500x the cost of registering it.  You are charging a MINIMUM bid of 16,000x ... so who's the unreasonable squatter in this instance?  The guy charging 500x the cost or 16,000x the cost?  Heh.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2012, 08:12:13 AM

I don't need to point you to any threads, I can show you why right here:

Last login: Sat Feb 25 19:32:33 2012 from XXXXX
XXXXXX@eclipsemc:~$ dig namecoin.bit

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> namecoin.bit
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 43928
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;namecoin.bit.                  IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       1800    IN      SOA     a.root-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 2012022701 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 132 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.Cool
;; WHEN: Mon Feb 27 18:04:56 2012
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 105

Until Joe Average can resolve a .bit domain with zero special configuration, it is full of fail.  Seeing as Alternet is basically a failure, there is absolutely no way Namecoin is going to succeed where Alternet has failed.

like bitcoin will fail because it is so difficult to install...  Roll Eyes

seriously, by now it is as easy as adding a line / registry key.

for Linux :
In '/etc/resolv.conf', replace or add the line starting with 'search' :
search namecoin-suffix.dot-bit.org

But you can't because the squatter wants 500x the cost of registering it.  You are charging a MINIMUM bid of 16,000x ... so who's the unreasonable squatter in this instance?  The guy charging 500x the cost or 16,000x the cost?  Heh.

hehe nice profit Tongue   how did you get to that number? it's way off and also you forget all the hard labor  Cheesy

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2012, 01:39:31 PM

like bitcoin will fail because it is so difficult to install...  Roll Eyes

for Linux :

Bitcoin, as it stands right this moment, will/would fail on anything other than a niche market.  It's improving and changing, so it has a chance.  DNS is not changing, Namecoin is not changing... it's terminally died to the DNS structure.  Until Microsoft adds alternate TLD support to the OS by default, it's a bag of failure.  You are deluding yourself if you think otherwise.  

Please, by all means, tell me why Alternet failed then if it's "so easy" for the average user? Alternet is superior to the current TLD structure in almost every way, yet it's a failure.  Why on earth do you think Namecoin has a chance?

But you can't because the squatter wants 500x the cost of registering it.  You are charging a MINIMUM bid of 16,000x ... so who's the unreasonable squatter in this instance?  The guy charging 500x the cost or 16,000x the cost?  Heh.

hehe nice profit Tongue   how did you get to that number? it's way off and also you forget all the hard labor  Cheesy

How did I get those numbers?  It's easy, I figure $10/year for registration of a .net. Namecoin.net is listed at $5000 (but to be fair, they say "price negociable (sic)")... so that is 500x the cost of a domain registration.

You are charging 2 BTC minimum for your NMC domains.  Registering an namecoin domain is .03 NMC, which at the current NMC to BTC exchange rate is .00012 BTC.  16666 * .00012 is 1.99992... round off a bit and you're at just under 16667x the cost.  I was being generous with the 16000x.

So yeah, you are the bigger rip off artist than the Namecoin.net squatter.

Your "hard labor" isn't worth 16,000x the cost.  My numbers are not way off... but I look forward to hearing how you justify a 16,000x markup.  I know you are going to use the excuse that they were more expensive when you registered it, so lets be generous and say it was .3 per domain instead of .03, which NMC domain registrations were *never* that high... so you are raping people for 1600x instead of 16000x.  Wow, how magnanimous.

So yeah, you complaining about the price of namecoin.net at 500x markup, while you are charging 16,000x (or 1600x, being unreasonably generous) markup is laughable.

phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2012, 07:36:34 PM

like bitcoin will fail because it is so difficult to install...  Roll Eyes

for Linux :

Bitcoin, as it stands right this moment, will/would fail on anything other than a niche market.  It's improving and changing, so it has a chance.  DNS is not changing, Namecoin is not changing... it's terminally died to the DNS structure.  Until Microsoft adds alternate TLD support to the OS by default, it's a bag of failure.  You are deluding yourself if you think otherwise.  

dns suffix configuration is exactly that - or do you mean namecoin support by default? that will take a while Smiley

Please, by all means, tell me why Alternet failed then if it's "so easy" for the average user? Alternet is superior to the current TLD structure in almost every way, yet it's a failure.  Why on earth do you think Namecoin has a chance?
are you sure about the name? could not find anything about it. but for the other alternative dns attempts: they were not decentralized. Was there any you could use in addition to your normal dns server, ie for unresolved names only?

the day a government tries to shut down bitcoin everybody will jump the namecoin train. also there are attempts to make it work with opendns, i2p, tor. the time certainly has come for an alternative dns system.

But you can't because the squatter wants 500x the cost of registering it.  You are charging a MINIMUM bid of 16,000x ... so who's the unreasonable squatter in this instance?  The guy charging 500x the cost or 16,000x the cost?  Heh.

hehe nice profit Tongue   how did you get to that number? it's way off and also you forget all the hard labor  Cheesy

How did I get those numbers?  It's easy, I figure $10/year for registration of a .net. Namecoin.net is listed at $5000 (but to be fair, they say "price negociable (sic)")... so that is 500x the cost of a domain registration.

You are charging 2 BTC minimum for your NMC domains.  Registering an namecoin domain is .03 NMC, which at the current NMC to BTC exchange rate is .00012 BTC.  16666 * .00012 is 1.99992... round off a bit and you're at just under 16667x the cost.  I was being generous with the 16000x.

So yeah, you are the bigger rip off artist than the Namecoin.net squatter.

Your "hard labor" isn't worth 16,000x the cost.  My numbers are not way off... but I look forward to hearing how you justify a 16,000x markup.  I know you are going to use the excuse that they were more expensive when you registered it, so lets be generous and say it was .3 per domain instead of .03, which NMC domain registrations were *never* that high... so you are raping people for 1600x instead of 16000x.  Wow, how magnanimous.

So yeah, you complaining about the price of namecoin.net at 500x markup, while you are charging 16,000x (or 1600x, being unreasonably generous) markup is laughable.

[/quote]

I have bought namecoin domains when they were still 50NMC and also nmc was worth much more. these domains were somewhere in the middle.

the profit factor being high is only a low base effect. In absolute terms it is cheap as hell. you pointed out the $5000. of course there is uncertainty, so it is a matter of speculation and belief.

would you mind me registering your pool name .bit and pointing it to your ip? you would have to add it as an external ip to work (was very easy and fast with my web hoster).

phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2012, 07:39:53 PM

Round001 - finished.

Winner is TorrentMaster - congratulations!

I will send you a pm with details.

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2012, 10:42:01 PM

Try searching on "alternic"

I don't know what you mean by "use in addition to your DNS server." Namevoin and alternic function the same: different/alternate TLDs. Alternic was comparitively huge and yet it failed... if you think the decentralized nature of nmc makes any difference you are sorely mistaken alternic failed because it was not included by default in any is resolution system. Neither is namecoin and it won't be. That is why it is doomed to failure.

It may be technically superior in every way but it will never overcome the inertia of entrenched DNS. Until my Mom has a reason to NOT use standard DNS, nobody but a very small subset of nerds are going to care or push to change it.

Like I said. Its been done before (several times) and its all failed. There is no incentive for the entrenched interests to add it to or change the current DNS system. It just. Won't happen. Namecoin is a failure due to political and financial issues, not technical.

Cheap as hell? Starting bid is more than it costs to register a .com! That's not cheap, its highway robbery taken to preposterous levels for a virtually worthless piece of "real estate." 10 bucks for a domain that all of about 20 people can visit, and 19 probably don't care anyway.

As far as registering it, I would rather you not point it to the IP simply because the IP may change and I would not have control over it. I would register it but to be honest I am not even sure what is involved and don't want to have to remember to maintain it.

Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2012, 05:33:13 AM
Last edit: February 29, 2012, 05:50:23 AM by Transisto

I'd pay 2 BTC if you could learn me how to register a .bit , and 1btc if you can show me how to resolve them.

I'm joking, I couldn't care less about namecoins.

Googling http://www.google.ca/search?hl=&q=registering+dot+bit ,,, "Price of a new domain : 1.5BTC." is all I got, 1.5btc per .bit , Who is this scammer ? hope he has nothing to do with .bit development.
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 08:38:38 AM

Try searching on "alternic"

I don't know what you mean by "use in addition to your DNS server." Namevoin and alternic function the same: different/alternate TLDs. Alternic was comparitively huge and yet it failed... if you think the decentralized nature of nmc makes any difference you are sorely mistaken alternic failed because it was not included by default in any is resolution system. Neither is namecoin and it won't be. That is why it is doomed to failure.
I was refering to the method of accessing the alternative dns. with namecoin it is now possible to only send requests that failed with the regular dns to the namecoin dns. (via dns suffix that is). the advantage is that this is not messing with or slowing down your normal web experience.

your are missing the vision of all this. Smiley    also what about sopa acta and the like? you are underestimating the will of governments to mess with the internet.  what about totalitarian countries that viciously control dns servers?

Cheap as hell? Starting bid is more than it costs to register a .com! That's not cheap, its highway robbery taken to preposterous levels for a virtually worthless piece of "real estate." 10 bucks for a domain that all of about 20 people can visit, and 19 probably don't care anyway.
I will pay you ten times the price you state above for a two letter .com domain. you might have a hard time getting one, though  Tongue

As far as registering it, I would rather you not point it to the IP simply because the IP may change and I would not have control over it. I would register it but to be honest I am not even sure what is involved and don't want to have to remember to maintain it.
just don't say I did not tell you so.  Wink

phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 08:40:29 AM

I'd pay 2 BTC if you could learn me how to register a .bit , and 1btc if you can show me how to resolve them.

I'm joking, I couldn't care less about namecoins.

Googling http://www.google.ca/search?hl=&q=registering+dot+bit ,,, "Price of a new domain : 1.5BTC." is all I got, 1.5btc per .bit , Who is this scammer ? hope he has nothing to do with .bit development.

fortunately he is free to charge whatever he wants for his service.

also he is the only one to offer a service like this in the whole world...   
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2012, 01:31:32 PM

Well, in any case, I appreciate the civil discourse and apologize for my initial post's tone, though I remain behind the sentiment quite staunchly.

phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 04:21:17 PM

Well, in any case, I appreciate the civil discourse and apologize for my initial post's tone, though I remain behind the sentiment quite staunchly.

very kind of you to say so, apology accepted.

I admit it is difficult terrain.

phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 09:12:47 AM

Unfortunately TorrentMaster has not replied to two PMs, though he was active on the forum twice in the meantime. I do not know which domain he bought which is a problem for the next round.

TorrentMaster please answer in this thread or by PM.

I don't want to wait forever so I will continue with Round002 soon. TorrentMaster will have a chance to get his domain at the end of Round002 if it is still available then.

phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 09:40:57 AM

this auction is going exactly like i thought it would.
Roll Eyes   don't think the auction section would have made a difference so far.

phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 12:50:47 PM

this auction is going exactly like i thought it would.
Roll Eyes   don't think the auction section would have made a difference so far.

No I do not either. Honestly if you can't sell these off at 2 bitcoin something is very very wrong with namecoin.

just give it a little time. many of the biggest inventions started slow...  e.g. bitcoin  Wink
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 01:03:10 PM

Round002 - pending.

Round002 will start with the first legitimate bid.

Reestablished the 50 posts minimum.

Once Round002 starts Torrentmaster will have to wait until the end to get his domain if it is still there. This means there is a ~1/300 chance of him not getting the domain he bought because I can not get him to answer me which one it shall be. If he will not answer at all I will consider suggesting a scammer tag but he should have some more time.

From this round on bids will only be valid if I know the domain (PM or thread).

On we go...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: