Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:58:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When to sell your alt coins?  (Read 796 times)
Starving_Marvin (OP)

Activity: 511
Merit: 250

Open and Transparent Science Powered By Blockchain

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 11:13:24 AM

I've bought into some very profitable coins. But every time when a big pump comes I somehow end up feeling like a loser.

Any trading strategies how to handle a pump?

Any signs to know when a pump is over?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Soappa

Activity: 569
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 11:27:12 AM

It is very much like gambling IMO.
Unless you are the one organizing the pumps and dumps, it is very hard to tell the highs and lows.

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 11:59:02 AM

I've bought into some very profitable coins. But every time when a big pump comes I somehow end up feeling like a loser.

its not so hard to notice a hype for certain coins.
then look at the trade volume, and the price that coins are bought with that volume. (that is your next bottom often)
then just set sell order 50% above that price and leave it there.

worked for me many times.
i generaly hate pump and dumps, but profit is profit Smiley
From Above

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 03:46:33 PM

dump when high
buy when low

this is the entire reason  of the existence of the cryptocurrency

~CfA~

bitbaby

Activity: 812

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2014, 03:58:17 PM

Which coins would be profitable and which won't is kinda like predicting the future but a little research, looking at their new developments, their growth are the factors which might tell you which coins to hold. As far as pump goes, you can't really be sure when and if it is going to happen.

hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 05:06:04 PM

Never! Just keep hodling them. Tongue

Okay, seriously...Like someone mentioned, this is pretty much gambling.

There are tons of formulaic approaches that people take, but sometimes simply listening to your gut when it seems like something might happen works too. Although buy low, sell high is the intent, sometimes when you miss a pump and the long-term trend is negative, you have no choice but to take some losses. Just don't "panic" sell if you can help it.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 05:09:39 PM

dump at 100% pump

pump at 50% dump

jk it's all random
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 05:18:21 PM

The short answer is: There is no set of rules or pattern that you can use to identify consistently when to sell your coins. If there were, it would have been discovered and people would be using it. But that very act of using it would lead to the rules being negated.

For example, let's say there was a rule that says "After a coin that was rising goes flat or negative for 24 hours, sell it." As more and more people became aware of the rule and began implementing it, you'd see heavy selling at the same point, causing steep crashes in price of the coins involved.

It wouldn't take long for a smarter-than-your-average-bear type to decide to sell out 23 hours in, so as not to be caught in the price collapse if they are a few minutes slow. Then someone else would step in and sell out at 22 hours, and so on. The attempts to cut to the head of the line and be the first to exit would continue until the rule had destroyed itself.

Back in the 70's a famous investing book taught that you can just throw darts blindly at a list of stocks and do as well as stock brokers bringing all their skills and knowledge to bear. Because they are competing against equally intelligent and informed stock pickers, so in theory all stocks are equally priced relative to anticipated future performance. The same idea holds true in the cryptocurrency markets. About all you can do is try to devise a strategy that builds on whatever natural strengths or advantages you possess, and try to gain a modest advantage over the crowd that way. Because sometimes the crowd does stampede and do stupid things, or overreact. It takes discipline and guts to act at those points and play the contrarian, however.

My 2 satoshis,
ebliever

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
MoneyGod

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 09:26:59 PM

You need to keep eye on exchanges for this and as you feel now its good enough rate for sell just simple

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: