Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:33:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Business idea (Off-Topic, but looking for feedback)  (Read 4657 times)
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 03:54:14 AM

(bump?  Embarrassed)

Registered TozoniMAGLEV, L.L.C., so tax time should be way more interesting this year. Building a web page at http://www.tozonimaglev.com (still missing a lot). Got a business partner who is very eager to work with me. Deadline for submitting applications for funding is October 15th, so will have an Executive Summary and business plan before then. In the mean time, continuing to build out the site, and am setting up accounting stuff for the new Corp (giving GnuCash a try). Will hold company assets in Bitcoin, partly because it's easier than opening a business account at a bank, and partly because Bitcoin. Nice to have a partner to work with for a change.

Signing off.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 04:01:02 AM

Awesome, I love the concept and I'm always interested in how it proceeds.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
check_status

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 07:45:47 AM

:shakesfist: Phinnaeus, you used my idea which I got from somewhere else. Cheesy
It is amazing tech, so can't really blame you.

In the Bloom Box videos, the CBS version, there is a BTVC who got the $400Million for Bloom Box, 4x the initial projection. You could argue it was over funded.

Is there a loss over distance, electrically?
Are the rails levitation susceptible to interference induced currents generated by something like solar magnetic storms, static electrical fields, an EMP, or microwave radiation?
Is it possible to discharge a rail intentionally or unintentionally?

Another point, the entire line would be limited in acceleration time, 0-350mph, by the most acceleration sensitive items. A tomatoe may only handle an accelration of 0-350mph in 15 seconds while a refrigerator could withstand accelration from 0-350mph in 7 seconds. Therefore, the entire lines shipping time doubles by adding tomatoes to the shipping line.

If you had multiple load and unload points in between start of line and end of line, how would you handle shifting cars, or cargo, on and off of tracks?

How would you handle track length, if your not shifting cars off?
The track would have to be 3x the distance of the actual start and end transportation points.
A loop would be more efficient I guess, but would that work with the electrical systerm in the rails?

How about Canada's logging, mining industry? Or even there great expanse of wild from east to west?

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 03:09:03 AM

I guess these questions are regarding my tech?

Is there a loss over distance, electrically?
Are the rails levitation susceptible to interference induced currents generated by something like solar magnetic storms, static electrical fields, an EMP, or microwave radiation?
Is it possible to discharge a rail intentionally or unintentionally?

1) No more than over regular wires. If the lines running parallel to the track are high voltage, feeding the track itself through transformers every few kilometers, it should be ok (no different than electric trains)
2 & 3) There is no current in the rail other than what little is generated at the instant the train passes over it, and the levitation itself is done by magnetism - permanent magnet attracted to steel - not by electricity. I guess maybe a very powerful EMP can disrupt the levitation, and that may be enough for the train to shift and scrape/crash on the rails. I don't know how powerful it would have to be. Nice idea for something to test in the lab Cheesy (and gives us an excuse to build one legally)

Another point, the entire line would be limited in acceleration time, 0-350mph, by the most acceleration sensitive items. A tomatoe may only handle an accelration of 0-350mph in 15 seconds while a refrigerator could withstand accelration from 0-350mph in 7 seconds. Therefore, the entire lines shipping time doubles by adding tomatoes to the shipping line.

I suspect a bigger factor will be keeping the motor from overheating, or the motor wiring from getting bent or ripped out from too much exertion from high acceleration. Also, hopefully, most of the rail line will be travel at constant high speed rather than fast starts and stops. Honestly, though, I haven't considered high G acceleration for anything other than a gas gun for space launches (uses exploding gas behind the train rather than electric motor)

If you had multiple load and unload points in between start of line and end of line, how would you handle shifting cars, or cargo, on and off of tracks?

Platforms will be difficult to remove due to their attraction to the rails. I was thinking the platforms would just be flat cars, and cargo will be removable boxes that lock on top of them. Cars can also be shifted between tracks, though at low speed.

How would you handle track length, if your not shifting cars off?
The track would have to be 3x the distance of the actual start and end transportation points.
A loop would be more efficient I guess, but would that work with the electrical systerm in the rails?

A loop, or a low speed shift  where a train comes in front-forward, then shifts and leaves back-forward can work (trains are symmetrical, so can travel forward and backward). Trans that simply slow down while overhead traveling cranes that take off or deposit cargo can work too.

How about Canada's logging, mining industry? Or even there great expanse of wild from east to west?

Good idea about Canada. I'm looking for a place with a lot of really cheap unused land, since that is the most expensive part of building this. Though logs and mined ore aren't perishable, so moving that slowly and cheaply is still best. Perishables like food, or people, moved across the country would work better. Thanks for the Canada idea.
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2012, 10:15:58 PM

Set up a business account at 1TZMG7L8iN7SgtTC2ZVguxzdxkLKCwuqy  (TZMG = TozoniMaglev). Contributed capital: 61.807520BTC. So far spent $150 on a company logo design ($75 now, $75 in accounts payable). Current company profit: -$150USD. Good start!  Grin
thatbluedude

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 12:08:59 AM

Playing the investor without reading other posts: might be redundant
I’m not convinced that this will make me money. Why should I invest my money in fancy trains(on stilts?)for cargo? will the advantage gained be really worth the billions it will cost to set this up? Why will you succeed where many others have failed? Why should I believe your numbers? magnets->rare earths;how will this affect the world market/price ?
after reading other user posts:
“following issues will be eliminated: most maintenance costs.” sceptical about that claim. you will have to pay for everything since it’s private property. after some years you would be in a constant replacement cycle repairing tracks and everything else. whats the expected lifetime of tracks? 30 years?

I would like to read the actual business case when you have it since I like the idea of maglev and it’s difficult to work with just a few sentences.
most important! will I get some free company shares for my awesome input when this takes off?   Smiley
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 01:18:15 AM

^ ^ ^

I got an idea, Rassah. Name the investment arm of this endeavor LevPirate, stating at the onset that investors are by invite only. That should attract some capital.

~Cackling Bear~
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 07:10:32 AM

Playing the investor without reading other posts: might be redundant
I’m not convinced that this will make me money. Why should I invest my money in fancy trains(on stilts?)for cargo? will the advantage gained be really worth the billions it will cost to set this up? Why will you succeed where many others have failed? Why should I believe your numbers? magnets->rare earths;how will this affect the world market/price ?

Thanks for letting me practice my pitch:
Using this tech you can change shipping from the current accepted practice - having to load as large of containers and trains as possible - to JIT small fast trains that only go when you need to send a package or two. You don't need to wait for everything to be loaded, and don't need to wait for the driver to be ready. As soon as your train with the small cargo rolls over the section with the linear motor embedded in the track, it will get whisked away to its destination automatically. Amazon is pushing heavily for same-day delivery, currently relying on opening up more and more storage centers around the country. Using this system they can have one main hub handling a huge area, with these automated lines extending to much smaller hubs further out. I believe this system, although a bit more expensive to build than wheel on steel, is a heck of a lot more efficient than anything else out there, and operating costs for power will be much smaller as well (on top of the savings from almost no moving parts, no friction wear, and no driver). Should gas prices increase, trucking and diesel trains will become even more expensive, as will airplane flights, and this may end up being the only viable fast transport system. This system can also be used by NASA or the military to launch small satellites into space using electrical assistance (think giant rail gun). I heard that 20% of a rocket's fuel is used up just to get it moving on takeoff. This can accelerate a rocket to tremendous speeds before it has to fire off it's own propellant.
I believe the other MAGLEVs have failed because their technology is woefully inadequate. It's both too complex with all the redundant computer control systems, and way more expensive (and dangerous). The extremely high cost (~$45m/mile) of the Transrapid electromagnetic MAGLEV system was the main reason MAGLEV projects never took off anywhere; governments are excited about planning to build a MAGLEV until they see the price tag, and once they do, the projects/ideas get delayed indefinitely. My system costs about 1/4th that of Transrapid.
I have very detailed spreadsheets that calculate the costs of all the materials, even including volumes of raw materials required based on SolidWorks CAD designs. I can share the spreadsheet and you can check my assumptions. As for rare earth magnets, they are only required on the train cars, not the rails, and a large cargo carrier (30 ton capacity) I think uses about $120k worth of them. Building this system will increase demand, and thus price, but probably not substantially. Plus with newer and more powerful magnets coming out, smaller magnets can be used.

after reading other user posts:
“following issues will be eliminated: most maintenance costs.” sceptical about that claim. you will have to pay for everything since it’s private property. after some years you would be in a constant replacement cycle repairing tracks and everything else. whats the expected lifetime of tracks? 30 years?
Hmm, good point. No idea what the expected lifetime is. There's no friction, but no doubt a bit of flex as the trains pass over. I think the cement will get worn out first though. The rails are actually not that expensive, and can be taken out and replaced, since they are just bolted in in long sections. There will also be a slow moving maintenance vehicle that will go over the rails to test them for any issues every once in a while. Testing for what kind of stresses will be experienced is part of what the initial model will be used for.

I would like to read the actual business case when you have it since I like the idea of maglev and it’s difficult to work with just a few sentences.
most important! will I get some free company shares for my awesome input when this takes off?   Smiley

I'll have the old business plan up (Gaza Land bridge) some time this week. As for the newer one, I have to write it up and submit it by October 15th. Hopefully I'll have it way before then.
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 12:29:21 AM

For anyone who is curious, I uploaded the old business plan (for the multi-billion dollar project), and my old Executive Summary that I wrote for my Entrepreneurship class, to the website here: http://www.tozonimaglev.com/files
The files are GAZA-6-BUSINESS PLAN- WITH CHANGES BY DMITRY.docx and Executive Summary (OLD).docx
The first file is a rather long and detailed read. The second I will have to change some and add a business plan to before I can submit it for consideration for grants/loans.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 04:17:33 PM

This is sweet, I see that you are considering using existing rights-of-way along the highway medians. I think this is the perfect way to do a new high speed rail system, anywhere.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: