Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:21:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think satoshi expected bitcoin to be this big?  (Read 2319 times)
CrackedLogic (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:08:55 PM

He may of made it  as a little side project just to have fun with or show his friends,

Or maybe he developed it to show off to huge multinational companies so he could make a profit.

But... Do you think satoshi expected bitcoin to have this much of a following?

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4489

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:21:48 PM

He may of made it  as a little side project just to have fun with or show his friends,

Or maybe he developed it to show off to huge multinational companies so he could make a profit.

he didnt make it just for fun

he didnt do it to show of a profit.

he did it because he hated th whole government financial status.. (see the quote in the genesis block) thats his inspiraction.

and with less then 0.02% of population using it.. this is not the exiting day to ask such a question, bitcoin is still small.. ask again in a couple years

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:26:59 PM

Yes.

Have you read the white paper and Satoshi's original thread on the crypto mailing list?

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
coinsolidation

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2014, 08:29:01 PM

He worked on it for ten years, released it with a 40-50 year timescale to allow for transaction volume to grow high enough that the fees could support the network.

Did that whitepaper look like it had been somebody getting lucky, or the well planned product of a decades work?

Awap expected for hoped or designed.
Scale up following exponentially from where we are today. This is infancy.

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:29:10 PM

Yes. I suspect she/he/it felt there was a significant likely hood that Bitcoin would grow this big or bigger. This would explain going to great trouble in-order to hide her/his/its identity.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
coinsolidation

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2014, 08:30:12 PM

Satoshi's original thread on the crypto mailing list?

The original thread was 10 years earlier.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:31:35 PM

Of course you have proof for this claim right?  You just saying something doesn't make it true.
coinsolidation

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2014, 08:37:30 PM

Of course you have proof for this claim right?  You just saying something doesn't make it true.

Yes of course. Satoshi first started communicating about the project on cypherpunks around 98-99, discussing with Adam Back (hashcash), Wei Dai (b-money), RAH and others.

Check the archives yourself, look for mails from anonymous at replay

Melbustus
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:40:42 PM

Well... By that rationale, the original thread was probably actually 20-40yrs earlier when researchers first realized that cryptographic value exchange over the internet, assuming consensus could be solved, was the holy-grail of money. Seems likely that Satoshi had been part of the discussion for a while.

I don't know what you're specifically implying with the 10yr thing, though (nor is it important, really).

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
coinsolidation

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2014, 08:51:02 PM

Well... By that rationale, the original thread was probably actually 20-40yrs earlier when researchers first realized that cryptographic value exchange over the internet, assuming consensus could be solved, was the holy-grail of money. Seems likely that Satoshi had been part of the discussion for a while.

I don't know what you're specifically implying with the 10yr thing, though (nor is it important, really).

I'm not implying anything. Satoshi was online and discussing bitcoin ten years earlier, if you're familiar with his more recent mails from a few years ago, the series of mails to cypherpunks/cryptography back in 98-99 will be familiar, for example this. There are plenty more earlier and later. As Adam Back says those were the discussions when he first started speaking to Satoshi over the internet. Of course he was likely around long before that as you say, as his ideas are already maturing by 99.

juju

Activity: 381

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:58:53 PM

One of my favorite Satoshi Quotes:

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on. If
enough people think the same way, that becomes a self fulfilling
prophecy. Once it gets bootstrapped, there are so many
applications if you could effortlessly pay a few cents to a
website as easily as dropping coins in a vending machine."  - Satoshi Nakamoto

I think he very well knew what he was creating and the possibilities of this protocol.
Melbustus
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:05:54 PM

One of my favorite Satoshi Quotes:

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on. If
enough people think the same way, that becomes a self fulfilling
prophecy. Once it gets bootstrapped, there are so many
applications if you could effortlessly pay a few cents to a
website as easily as dropping coins in a vending machine."  - Satoshi Nakamoto

I think he very well knew what he was creating and the possibilities of this protocol.

And it seems that we are indeed bootstrapped at this point. I would not have said that 3 years ago.

Cicero2.0

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:08:16 PM

It is interesting to speculate for sure. I am not sure he thought it would the the one to go main stream and change the world but I do think he saw a future dominated by crypto currency.

PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:16:43 PM

I think Satoshi had high hopes for bitcoin because he knew it works. He believed in it and knew it could be big, but wasn't sure how the public would react. Sometimes innovations fail, not because it was bad design, just bad marketing.
BitcoinLlama

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:17:46 PM

I don't think he could imagine what has come of bitcoin.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:26:08 PM

I'm not implying anything. Satoshi was online and discussing bitcoin ten years earlier, if you're familiar with his more recent mails from a few years ago, the series of mails to cypherpunks/cryptography back in 98-99 will be familiar, for example this. There are plenty more earlier and later. As Adam Back says those were the discussions when he first started speaking to Satoshi over the internet. Of course he was likely around long before that as you say, as his ideas are already maturing by 99.

Pretty weak conjecture.  Plenty of people have had ideas about digital currencies involving cryptographic systems over the years.   They weren't all Satoshi and there is nothing in that quote that links to Bitcoin.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:26:51 PM

Wow.

I had no idea it went back that far...
This is really cool to see these nascent forms of Bitcoin concepts.

But how do you know anon is Satoshi?  Did Adam Back say that? or what...

Cicero2.0

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:40:01 PM

Pretty weak conjecture.  Plenty of people have had ideas about digital currencies involving cryptographic systems over the years.   They weren't all Satoshi and there is nothing in that quote that links to Bitcoin.

Thomas Edison proposed something similar. The idea is not new for sure but combining it with the internet is new and exciting.

bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 10:03:14 PM

He may of made it  as a little side project just to have fun with or show his friends,

He had an idea that this kind of technology would get big. I think if he didn't think the idea would work, he would not spend much time on it.

A quote from 2009:
"I would be surprised if 10 years from now we're not using electronic currency in some way, "

We'll see what happens in 5 years  Smiley

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 10:32:53 PM

I think he was pretty sure bticoin would either succeed or fail, there's no in between

his goal was to defeat the banking system, if i recall correctly. Even the genesis block mocks the bankers.

surely the only way to do that is if bitcoin becomes big, very big, much bigger than it is now.

which would make all of us rich, but that's not the goal, that's just a pleasant side-effect.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: