Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 11:35:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin as a Legal Currency in Currency Bill is Off to Gov. Brown for Signing  (Read 922 times)
the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 09:53:38 PM

The bill looking to make Bitcoin a legal currency in California is now going to the Governor

Under construction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 10:47:18 PM

Is it simply a repeal of the old law or does it seek to tax and regulate as well? If it is just a repeal you have to like this one. Hopefully Brown signs it.

designfail

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 10:50:19 PM

Is it simply a repeal of the old law or does it seek to tax and regulate as well? If it is just a repeal you have to like this one. Hopefully Brown signs it.

in california they are fast signing only gay-friendly bills
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 11:15:39 PM

in california they are fast signing only gay-friendly bills

They aren't really gay friendly, they are political pandering bills. Most gay people just want to be left alone like the rest of us. The vocal minority is pretty much hated among gays as well. 

Cranky4u

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2014, 11:24:27 PM

is this a good thing for Cali?

Australia treats BTC as a currency now...including tax by the ATO

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 01:07:31 AM

I know I post this a lot, but it bears repeating.  Bitcoin is technically a currency, because it is a medium of exchange with current value.  And that's all a currency is.  But it is not a regulable currency, because it is not backed, it is not claimed to be backed, and it is full-reserve.  It cannot be taxed.  It cannot be outlawed.  So there's no real way to determine the motivation behind this change in wording.  But declarations such as these hold almost zero weight in the long term.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
NattyLiteCoin

Activity: 912
Merit: 1021

If you don’t believe, why are you here?

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 01:56:39 AM

How can this be? Isn't this basically allowing a state to have currency control akin to that of confederate states?

I'd love to see how the Federal Government reacts to this, even though I doubt it will get signed.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
    ███▀                   ▀███
   ███   ███           ███   ███
  ███     ███         ███     ███
 ███       ███       ███       ███
 ███     ██████     ██████     ███
 ███        ████   ████        ███
 ███     █████████████████     ███
 ███         ███▄ ▄███         ███
  ███         ███████         ███
   ███▄        █████        ▄███
    ████▄       ███       ▄████
     ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
  25X FASTER THAN BITCOIN, LIGHTNING NETWORK & ATOMIC SWAPS  
  TWITTER          TELEGRAM          REDDIT          DISCORD          MEDIUM          LINKEDIN  
          ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
    ███▀                   ▀███
   ███   ███           ███   ███
  ███     ███         ███     ███
 ███       ███       ███       ███
 ███     ██████     ██████     ███
 ███        ████   ████        ███
 ███     █████████████████     ███
 ███         ███▄ ▄███         ███
  ███         ███████         ███
   ███▄        █████        ▄███
    ████▄       ███       ▄████
     ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
The00Dustin

Activity: 807
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 10:46:07 AM

I know I post this a lot, but it bears repeating.  Bitcoin is technically a currency, because it is a medium of exchange with current value.  And that's all a currency is.  But it is not a regulable currency, because it is not backed, it is not claimed to be backed, and it is full-reserve.  It cannot be taxed.  It cannot be outlawed.  So there's no real way to determine the motivation behind this change in wording.  But declarations such as these hold almost zero weight in the long term.
Money has a closer definition for bitcoin than currency, especially right now, considering the fact that bitcoin is not "widely used" and the fact that bitcoin is effectively exchanged using a "spot price" conversion or a bartering.  I definitely agree that bitcoin is money.  I don't agree completely that it is currency yet, and I wish people would actually understand how taxes work before pushing for "currency" classification (at least in the US).  That having been said, you didn't mention taxes or legality, and I'm posting this primarily to recommend you look at the other definitions of currency and then look at the definitions of money.  I believe you'll see what I mean.
DannyElfman

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 08:02:26 PM

Bitcoin is backed by the security of the network via the miners.

It is not a very good store of value as the price of bitcoin is not sable as it is not uncommon to double digit percentage swings in the price of bitcoin. On the other hand the dollar rarely sees prices swings that exceed 1% in it's price

This spot for rent.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1368

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 09:07:58 PM

When are people going to wake up to the fact that making something legal is always an attempt to control it.

In the United States, all the rights that are not spelled out for government to do are reserved for the States and the people. In other words, Bitcoin and anything else is legal without government doing anything.

The thing that isn't legal is people harming other people or damaging their property. People can harm others with Bitcoin, guns, fists, cars, and a million other ways.

So, do you see what I just said? Attempting to legalize Bitcoin or anything is is simply a way for GOVERNMENT to harm and damage people. It's a way for one group of people to harm another group.

Bitcoin legalization won't work. Why not? It may look like it is working, but then the devs - or somebody - will turn it into something that is impossible for government to control.

Remember, legalization is a trick to make you think that you need to be under someone else's control.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Standup4

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 05:38:13 PM

For fuck's sake California...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: