Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:28:15 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Optimal Captcha  (Read 1501 times)
naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 06:31:21 AM

For some of my sites, I use a combination of 2 tests. One is an addition or subtraction problem. The other is the current btc price listed on the page. So far it has eluded bots but from time to time there is the occasional jackass.

geforcelover

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 06:55:36 AM

Well i have a question too why the sites uses captcha .. and the company whihc provide cpathca coast for thier capthca?
onlinepro

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 09:01:25 AM

Well i have a question too why the sites uses captcha .. and the company whihc provide cpathca coast for thier capthca?

Sites use chaptchas because it makes spamming and bots action harder.

mix1234

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 09:15:33 AM

Hello,
what captcha solution are you using on your sites? I personally hate reCaptcha
Yes, reCaptcha is very annoying for the end-user. You can try to use "key captcha":

simple and fast, no text to type, not annoying. But I don't know if it's enough secure or not.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 10:14:00 AM

I think http://www.minteye.com/ is best.
I like it because I don't need to use keyboard for it at all!

So this is combination of advertisement and captcha solving? (good idea if so)

Also it unfortunately seems english only.

Yes, it is ad.
What you mean english only? It is picture so I don't think users have to know english, since you don't have to read anything.
Everything users have to do is use that slider to make image look good, and click enter.

There is example of this chaptcha:

These are probably the least annoying of them all.
I also don't mind solve media usually as they are pretty readable usually.
ondratra (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 12:58:26 PM

PoW may be able to solve the captcha problem.

Mining is CPU intensive. If a captcha was a script that mined to get a proof with difficultly X, then the cost of creating an account would outweigh the financial benefit of having said account.

But how would real person declare he is actually real??? Imho text captcha is kind of PoW anyway - or maybe better to call it "Proof of understanding"

You can hire a team through mechanical turk to solve proof-of-human captcha. The captcha is solved, but the account is still under automated control or exploited.

If you can attach an expense to an action, an expense which is unnoticed to a single individual taking a single action, but economically inviable to an entity seeking to exploit the action on mass for minor financial gain, then you have solved the problem. (Spam problem)

In first paragraph you said why exactly your second  paragraph is not possible. If it will be easy for single person he can always do it as job to support bot operation. 
coinsolidation

Activity: 294

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 01:08:20 PM

PoW may be able to solve the captcha problem.

Mining is CPU intensive. If a captcha was a script that mined to get a proof with difficultly X, then the cost of creating an account would outweigh the financial benefit of having said account.

But how would real person declare he is actually real??? Imho text captcha is kind of PoW anyway - or maybe better to call it "Proof of understanding"

You can hire a team through mechanical turk to solve proof-of-human captcha. The captcha is solved, but the account is still under automated control or exploited.

If you can attach an expense to an action, an expense which is unnoticed to a single individual taking a single action, but economically inviable to an entity seeking to exploit the action on mass for minor financial gain, then you have solved the problem. (Spam problem)

In first paragraph you said why exactly your second  paragraph is not possible. If it will be easy for single person he can always do it as job to support bot operation.  

The key is the number of repetitions, a single person taking a single action has no noticeable cost involved. Taking multiple actions the cost of production up, if the cost of production (time+electricity) becomes higher than the benefit of having say multiple accounts or spamming, then it doesn't become good business to do so.

It's that same as charging people to submit a form or send an email, there's a monetary value which makes spamming no longer viable.

note: just a random idea, to apply PoW to different problem spaces, could also be used for a voting system, where each vote has to be computationally harder than the last.

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)
ondratra (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 08:20:18 PM

Hello,
Yes, reCaptcha is very annoying for the end-user. You can try to use "key captcha":

simple and fast, no text to type, not annoying. But I don't know if it's enough secure or not.

It seems very breakable.
ShibaWow

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2014, 01:57:40 PM

no man..

use SolveMedia

it's simple and it even earns you some money Wink

sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 02:06:28 PM

what about a captcha that changes a question every week so that will it make it harder for bot programmers to keep up with the new questions and answers all the time.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
ShibaWow

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2014, 02:22:17 PM

what about a captcha that changes a question every week so that will it make it harder for bot programmers to keep up with the new questions and answers all the time.

SolveMedia has a different captcha everytime..

virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 02:51:23 PM

Hello,

It seems very breakable.

An automated version of this would be possible, but then again - which spammer would develop a software application for that?

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
ondratra (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 03:45:17 PM

Hello,

It seems very breakable.

An automated version of this would be possible, but then again - which spammer would develop a software application for that?

Anyone that evaluate access to system as valuable.
Alex_green

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 04:12:12 PM

Optimal Captcha- it's number
ondratra (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 05:06:27 PM

Optimal Captcha- it's number

wtf are you saying?
rigel
Legendary

Activity: 1240
Merit: 1001

Thank God I'm an atheist

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 05:33:14 PM

Optimal captcha is limited use of captcha.

Use no captcha at first then enble it only for users/ips abusing the service
ondratra (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:23:45 PM

Optimal captcha is limited use of captcha.

Use no captcha at first then enble it only for users/ips abusing the service

Good point. I will try this stance. I will cover only the most important flows with capthca and on other forms I will use it only for occasions of 3 bad attemps to login etc.

Thank you bitcointalk users. This topic is usefull for me Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: