Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 08:33:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Taxing bank deposits in Spain. Bad for fiat, good for bitcoin?  (Read 3700 times)
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 08:48:19 PM

Exactly. All the bailout money is still in the system; at this point the central banks cannot get it back out; this would require higher interest rates and could trigger a deflationary shock because many entities, private and public, would default unter higher interest rates.

Everyone with a sane mind knows this.

The next decade will be very interesting.... Shocked

Truth is the new hatespeech.
jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 09:01:47 PM

Exactly. All the bailout money is still in the system; at this point the central banks cannot get it back out; this would require higher interest rates and could trigger a deflationary shock because many entities, private and public, would default unter higher interest rates.

I don't follow. Can you break it down like I'm a moron? Thx

TEDmachine

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 05:27:51 PM

I think "Spaincoin" won't solve all their problems
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 09:14:41 PM

Too much currency was released into the economy (for example to bail out banks). That money is still out there. To reduce the amount of currency in the system, interest rates would have to be increased. But higher interest rates would kill debtors: countries, companies, people, because they are all in massive debt.

Remember that our fiat currency is created when somebody takes out a loan...you go to the bank, borrow 100 000, then they create 90 000 from thin air and 10 000 from existing deposits. Fractional banking.

Currency = Debt.

Much currency = much debt.

Higher interest rates = global collapse.  Embarrassed

Truth is the new hatespeech.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 11:30:55 PM

I feel sorry for Spanish people.  Sad   

"They" have plans to do this everywhere, including the US and UK.

Yep, as far as I know legislation has already been passed for all Europpean governments to put their hand into peoples bank accounts so there doesn't need to be a repeat of the emergency measures of Cyprus. It was proposed as beginning in 2016 but moving it forward is a whole lot easier than getting it through and that's nice, comfortable, far away date.

UK law coming in soon is that if someone has over £5k in their bank and they have not paid their tax, HMRC can take th funds out... even without a court order.

Yes and that sounds very much like a nice, easy to digest "its only the tax evaders they're after" to make it more acceptable. I bet it will be less than 12 months before it can affect anyone and everyone once the need for a court order is sidestepped with this.

What in the world is going on ?  This seems to be the first time in history, governments gone wild
trying to rape bank accounts of the citizenry.

I had always assumed there was a fairly clear line in the sand, and the government
doesn't cross that line unless there are extreme circumstances...and if the government
starting losing their trust, people would start mattress stuffing and not use banks, etc.

Maybe now they are just saying to hell with it?  or what... i dunno.

We are in extreme circumstances throughout much of the world. Many governments are facing huge deficits and their ability to repay bondholders is being put into question. The situation has calmed down somewhat over the past few years but most european governments are not far from financial ruin 
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 11:43:15 PM

Not to be pedantic, but technically speaking, everything about fiat is bad for fiat and good for Bitcoin. Except perhaps current adoption during this historically brief transition period.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 12:33:04 AM

Not to be pedantic, but technically speaking, everything about fiat is bad for fiat and good for Bitcoin. Except perhaps current adoption during this historically brief transition period.
I would not go that far. You can spend fiat even when the power is out and when you do not have access to the internet, this is not the case with bitcoin
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 12:50:29 AM

Too much currency was released into the economy (for example to bail out banks). That money is still out there. To reduce the amount of currency in the system, interest rates would have to be increased. But higher interest rates would kill debtors: countries, companies, people, because they are all in massive debt.

Remember that our fiat currency is created when somebody takes out a loan...you go to the bank, borrow 100 000, then they create 90 000 from thin air and 10 000 from existing deposits. Fractional banking.

Currency = Debt.

The debt is much worse than they tell us. Real national debt in the US when you is actually north of 100 trillion. There isn't enough fiat in the world to pay that. Something has to give at some point. It nearly did in 2008. 

hodap

Activity: 306
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 12:56:20 AM

Currency = Debt.

The debt is much worse than they tell us. Real national debt in the US when you is actually north of 100 trillion. There isn't enough fiat in the world to pay that. Something has to give at some point. It nearly did in 2008. 

Are people aware of this?

galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:13:56 AM

Wont this massively backfire?  Interest rates are low, no reason to even keep much money in a bank account.  Convert it to cash and put it in a safety deposit box or something?  I guess in US AML laws would work against you a bit, but still.  The solutions to our economic problems seem to be getting more repressive.
cinder

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:16:24 AM

Wont this massively backfire?  Interest rates are low, no reason to even keep much money in a bank account.  Convert it to cash and put it in a safety deposit box or something?  I guess in US AML laws would work against you a bit, but still.  The solutions to our economic problems seem to be getting more repressive.

Gold and silver would be much safer than local currency to store wealth.
Leina

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 07:29:36 AM

Gold and silver would be much safer than local currency to store wealth.

Unless the government pass a law to confiscate it.
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 07:43:42 AM

What in the world is going on ?  This seems to be the first time in history, governments gone wild
trying to rape bank accounts of the citizenry.

Governments would have done this before if bank accounts had existed in the past... look at history: In general every few decades a monetary system collapsed basically due to overspending. Having easy access to the electronic "wealth" of citizens allows the government to extend the time until collapse.

It's sad to watch these things unfold, but it's not the first time that people loose their savings.
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 11:44:35 PM

Currency = Debt.

This figure is largely inflated due to the current unfunded liabilities of medicare/medicaid and social security. Once these programs get reformed this number will decrease a lot
Bagatell

Activity: 722
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 07:52:06 PM

"In January 2014, the Bundesbank joined the IMF project focusing on a “wealth tax”. In its monthly report they had announced: “In the exceptional situation of an imminent state bankruptcy a one-time capital levy could but cheaper cut than the then still relevant options” if higher taxes or drastic limitations of government spending did not meet or could not be implemented.

In the latest June 2014 working paper of the IMF, they have set forth yet another scheme – extending maturity. So you bought a 2 year note? Well, the IMF possible solution would be to simply extend the maturity. Your 2 year note now become 20 year bond. They do not default, you just can never redeem."

Expropriation Is Back - Is Christine Lagarde The Most Dangerous Woman In The World?

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 09:31:17 PM

I guess this is good for BTC. Try taxing my holdings now, heh.  Cheesy

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print