Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:32:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Use Log-scale Bitcoin charts everywhere!  (Read 3273 times)
Hyena (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1011

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 04:33:14 PM

I talked to my friend yesterday and he was not interested in investing into Bitcoin because he thought the train is long gone and he would not be an early adopter anyway.

When looking at the normal price chart it always seems as the last bubble was the only bubble and before that the price was ridiculously small. This point of view makes everyone new to Bitcoin feel as if they have just missed the opportunity and thus they will not bother to buy Bitcoins any more. They couldn't be more wrong however because if they saw the logarithmic scale chart they would quickly see that there is plenty of investment opportunities left with Bitcoin.

The victim mentality of an average Joe makes him believe that yet again he has missed the boat and is a loser. Similar is the issue with the price. People think that Bitcoin is not divisible. I offered 0.1 Bitcoins to my other friend (6 months ago) as a gift and he refused because it seemed to him as a joke and argued that he would like to own exactly 1 Bitcoin or none at all.

Therefore, I'd suggest everyone to use the log scale chart as much as possible when illustrating the Bitcoin price as I believe it would provide better marketing for Bitcoin as a speculative investment.

For comparison...

Obviously this chart makes it much more convincing for an average Joe to buy some Bitcoins:

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4468

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 05:39:25 PM

Another issue is that since the demise of MtGox, when people do use a log chart, it's usually the Bitstamp chart which only goes back to late 2012, totally missing the previous history, including the Great Bubble of June 2011 and extended period of under-valuation through 2012.

There have been log charts created that use Gox data and switch to Stamp data some time last summer when the price on the two exchanges was at par, but they are few and far between.

It's amazing how many people fail to see that we're still all early adopters.
CEG5952

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 06:08:29 PM

Another issue is that since the demise of MtGox, when people do use a log chart, it's usually the Bitstamp chart which only goes back to late 2012, totally missing the previous history, including the Great Bubble of June 2011 and extended period of under-valuation through 2012.

There have been log charts created that use Gox data and switch to Stamp data some time last summer when the price on the two exchanges was at par, but they are few and far between.

It would appear that way. But I do try to keep in mind that these sorts of trends can only be relied on for so long. At some point, it will break and we will search for support lower down....

rogerwilco

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 06:20:30 PM

Similar is the issue with the price. People think that Bitcoin is not divisible. I offered 0.1 Bitcoins to my other friend (6 months ago) as a gift and he refused because it seemed to him as a joke and argued that he would like to own exactly 1 Bitcoin or none at all.

To me, this is the bigger issue. We need to switch to mBTC so people won't feel small getting $5 worth of bitcoin.
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 06:24:06 PM

Similar is the issue with the price. People think that Bitcoin is not divisible. I offered 0.1 Bitcoins to my other friend (6 months ago) as a gift and he refused because it seemed to him as a joke and argued that he would like to own exactly 1 Bitcoin or none at all.

To me, this is the bigger issue. We need to switch to mBTC so people won't feel small getting $5 worth of bitcoin.
Soon we will switch to "Bits" (1 BTC = 1'000'000 bits).
CEG5952

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 06:24:50 PM

Then, will we switch to micro BTC, since all we seem to care about is pegging the value of BTC to fiat money? Yeah, let's rethink that. BTC is a unit of value, I tell you. Enough of this psychological crap to make newbies feel like earlier adopters...

Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 06:25:31 PM

It would appear that way. But I do try to keep in mind that these sorts of trends can only be relied on for so long. At some point, it will break and we will search for support lower down....
Supply. Demand. It's not about "seems" but about math. And it is inevitable as long as bitcoin keeps the current advantages over traditional systems.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
rogerwilco

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 06:46:32 PM

Then, will we switch to micro BTC, since all we seem to care about is pegging the value of BTC to fiat money? Yeah, let's rethink that. BTC is a unit of value, I tell you. Enough of this psychological crap to make newbies feel like earlier adopters...

It's not about dollars or timing of adoption. It's about holding whole units instead of partial units. I only used five bucks as a casual example.
CEG5952

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 06:59:11 PM

Supply. Demand. It's not about "seems" but about math. And it is inevitable as long as bitcoin keeps the current advantages over traditional systems.

Hmmm, I'm not sure your answer implies that growth in demand will maintain the trend in question. And the latter point -- bitcoin has the "first mover" advantage, but I'm not convinced at this point that it will be the end-all of crypto-currency.

Habeler876

Activity: 624

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 07:37:40 PM

This "bits" thing gets me even worse!! I just feel like these HODLERS want so bad to pump the price, that they want to say, "look! BTC is expensive, but look at how many bits you can get for $100! It's not too late to miss the boat!" BUY BUY BUY!!! Roll Eyes

podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 07:54:05 PM

31st of oct. I've heard

Can anyone confirm?
Habeler876

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 07:59:54 PM

31st of oct. I've heard

Can anyone confirm?

LOL-- confirm what? This is something that would be decided by consensus (and not miner consensus, but that of the community). More likely, if rolled out as a wallet unit, there will be no consensus, lots of confusion, and lots of money sent with the wrong order of magnitude in mind. Smiley

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 08:03:29 PM

As much as I agree that log scale charts are the proper way to view Bitcoin price history, using it as a marketing tactic to dupe newcomers into buying up the price ranks up there with mBTC/bits (wherever the hell "bits" came from) and "place bids with sideline funds to create the appearance of support to push the price higher" as my biggest peeves in this community.

Habeler876

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 08:08:04 PM

As much as I agree that log scale charts are the proper way to view Bitcoin price history, using it as a marketing tactic to dupe newcomers into buying up the price ranks up there with mBTC/bits (wherever the hell "bits" came from) and "place bids with sideline funds to create the appearance of support to push the price higher" as my biggest peeves in this community.

Glad there is still some sensible folk around here. Everybody seems so intent on finding ways to pump the price all the time. This whole BITS thing..... Undecided they literally want to dupe newbies into thinking they are getting more than they are.

piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 09:10:54 PM

Glad there is still some sensible folk around here. Everybody seems so intent on finding ways to pump the price all the time. This whole BITS thing..... Undecided they literally want to dupe newbies into thinking they are getting more than they are.

No, bits (smaller units with a name that can be remembered by any layman) is needed to make prices of goods easier to read and understand, and to overcome the irrational fear of indivisible bitcoin. Has nothing to do with pumping or luring newbies. If all it takes for newbies to invest is to give them few gazillion of new shiny coins, then dogecoin would've been through the roof, but it's not, just jumping up a little Wink

i am satoshi
CEG5952

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 09:15:30 PM

No, bits (smaller units with a name that can be remembered by any layman) is needed to make prices of goods easier to read and understand, and to overcome the irrational fear of indivisible bitcoin. Has nothing to do with pumping or luring newbies. If all it takes for newbies to invest is to give them few gazillion of new shiny coins, then dogecoin would've been through the roof, but it's not, just jumping up a little Wink

Well, DOGE did shoot through the roof for a while before collapsing back down to reality. Wink

I'm not sure I understand why this is necessary to for laymen to understand/read/use, especially considering BTC has already achieved such acceptance as a unit.

blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 10:01:14 PM

Well, DOGE did shoot through the roof for a while before collapsing back down to reality. Wink

I'm not sure I understand why this is necessary to for laymen to understand/read/use, especially considering BTC has already achieved such acceptance as a unit.
Having a worthless currency is completely different from having a currency that is easier to use  Roll Eyes troll harder
CEG5952

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 10:04:56 PM

Having a worthless currency is completely different from having a currency that is easier to use  Roll Eyes troll harder

Roll Eyes
Ummm.... ok. Clearly there were two things being talked about. 1) the fact that DOGE at one point was worth more than 5x what it was now, despite its massive supply and for no real fundamental reasons. Refer to Wink. 2) The question of bits, and whether it is necessary.

In no way were these things being compared. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 04:11:55 AM

Because most people are unbelievably stupid. Perception is 99% of marketing. What it can actually do comes secondary. Those of us here, now, are mostly among the 1%. For the rest, there are cheap tricks and media hype.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
tss

Activity: 742

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 04:32:58 AM

GOOD.  i don't want anymore people in it.  if anything i would like the next year to be a total ASS#$%

too bad that wont happen.  i'm in no hurry for mass adoption.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: