Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:01:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BIP38 Key  (Read 1104 times)
ipoomyself (OP)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 09:15:02 PM

ok so what is the maximum amount i can type as a passphrase?

im concernd... very concernd

that if i put too many letters in and then redeem the paper wollet that only accepts 20 characters instead of 21 will that happen??
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4487

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 09:25:16 PM

that if i put too many letters in and then redeem the paper wollet that only accepts 20 characters instead of 21 will that happen??

how about just make up 50 characters then add a 5 at the start (base58)

but if there is a real reason to want to use bip38. then atleast do not use real words as a dictionary hack tool may already have all the combinations.

but in theory if you make a passphrase that is say 25 letters. and you have a program convert it to a private key.. whether its only 20 letters or 200 letters it doesnt matter. because the program you used obviously would cut off the last letter if 20..

so when you time it in each time it would cut off the letter..

i just think its easier more secure and safer to just make up 50 characters and add a 5 to it

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2014, 09:54:26 PM

how about just make up 50 characters then add a 5 at the start (base58)

but if there is a real reason to want to use bip38. then atleast do not use real words as a dictionary hack tool may already have all the combinations.

but in theory if you make a passphrase that is say 25 letters. and you have a program convert it to a private key.. whether its only 20 letters or 200 letters it doesnt matter. because the program you used obviously would cut off the last letter if 20..

so when you time it in each time it would cut off the letter..

i just think its easier more secure and safer to just make up 50 characters and add a 5 to it

As far as I know, just because a string is valid base58 doesn't mean it's a valid EC private key. BIP38 is far safer than what you suggest, and established tools like bitaddress.org are easy to use and work well. Any limit on passphrase length would be defined by the software, and most don't impose a limit unless absolutely necessary. Iif you want to be sure, you can save an offline copy of bitaddress.org and encrypt and decrypt a key with it. Then you'll always have that copy that you know will work to decrypt your key, even if nothing else will.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 09:59:47 PM

There is no limit.  Like most password applications the phrase itself is not used.  The Scrypt KDF is used to convert the passphrase into a 256 bit AES key.  The unencrypted private key is then encrypted with the AES key to produce the encrypted private key.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: