Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:10:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinExchanger is a scammer, stole Bitcoinica's coins, lied about contact info  (Read 7637 times)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 12:14:26 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2012, 12:37:32 AM by Matthew N. Wright

I am almost sure that bitcoinica.com is out of funds and they are keeping the site open to get more deposits and ponzi those deposits on those who want to withdrawal. The 17 year old just lost 250,000 Dollars and I doubt he has an extra 250K to cover his loss.

I would encourage everyone to withdrawal your funds from bitcoinica and watch the shit hit the fan.

Visit, www.coinexchanger.com

We will lower our withdrawal fee in the next couple of days, in the meantime 9% is fair.

CoinExchanger.com is an admittedly unregistered MLB (money license business) that must be registered by FinCEN within 6 months of opening their doors and sharing their first stored value. They have not done so and are in direct violation of federal law.

The owner of CoinExchanger.com is Leo Camilo, who advertises his address as 440 9th ave, New york, New York,10001 US and personal telephone number 1 (347) 469-1040.

His private email (search google) is atqcapital@gmail.com.

He has publicly stated on multiple occasions that:

• bitcoin is fake money, "monopoly money" and has no value and should not be trusted for this reason.
  • his exchange is functional with a large user base, when not a single user has ever reportedly done business with him
  • he is holding coins stolen from Zhou Tong's Bitcoinica and says "fuck you Zhou, you're just a stupid 17 year old kid, these coins are mine now" basically.

He also:

• goes under the sock puppet scammer account name "Maria"
  • claims to be a millionaire and restaurant owner

He is currently in possession of stolen Bitcoins from the Linode hack and any coins purchased from him will not be accepted by MtGox or anyone in the Bitcoin community.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 12:18:34 AM

Hmm...sounds like a few years of jail time oughta do the trick.  Jailhouse mining is a bit different than Bitcoin mining.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 12:24:35 AM

Matthew,

are u claiming he performed the hack and stole all the coins or that he just has a few that somehow he suddenly got a hold of?
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 12:26:50 AM

Matthew,

are u claiming he performed the hack and stole all the coins or that he just has a few that somehow he suddenly got a hold of?

He seems to be a moron (look up the posts by Maria or himself) but it could be an act.

He IS the first person to receive the stolen coins and within seconds of receiving was posting that he received them and their spot value. That's highly unlikely for an unconnected party, no?

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 12:28:29 AM

Matthew,

He seems to be a moron (look up the posts by Maria or himself) but it could be an act.

He IS the first person to receive the stolen coins and within seconds of receiving was posting that he received them and their spot value. That's highly unlikely for an unconnected party, no?

well, no, i don't think so.  Extravagant seems to be the first.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 12:36:37 AM

UPDATE: Upon confirming with Shawn the manager at Uncle Jacks at the registered address in the Whois for CoinExchanger.com, there is no one by the name of Leo Camilo (big surprise). I'll be working with Shawn (local manager) and Anthony (corporate manager) to make absolutely sure no one receives mail at that address who shouldn't be and will have them interview their employees closely as this is now a federal crime and will be reported directly to FinCEN and the FBI.

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 12:38:09 AM

UPDATE: Upon confirming with Shawn the manager at Uncle Jacks at the registered address in the Whois for CoinExchanger.com, there is no one by the name of Leo Camilo (big surprise). I'll be working with Shawn (local manager) and Anthony (corporate manager) to make absolutely sure no one receives mail at that address who shouldn't be and will have them interview their employees closely as this is now a federal crime and will be reported directly to FinCEN and the FBI.

Does Theymos have some IPs?
coin_toss

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 01:04:25 AM

Matthew,

well, no, i don't think so.  Extravagant seems to be the first.

I have to agree with cypherdoc, if the thief was smart enough to be able to pull off this hack surely he would be smart enough to launder them properly
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 01:12:32 AM

Where's your evidence?  You need more than a large font size to support this accusation.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:02:55 AM

I hate to see you use the law that can be used against us, bitcoiners.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:11:25 AM

Now now, we're not advocating the monitoring and control of bitcoiners or even bitcoin, we're advocating exchanges not being anonymous scummy fucks (bitscalper anyone?) and ending the idiot tax this community seems to love dishing out.

I wish anonymous exchanges could function, but they can't, and sooner or later someone's going to pay for it.

Did CryptoXChange ever ask for anyone's ID here?

Why is it so important for an exchange to be absolutely anonymous unless you're trying to sell stolen bitcoins?

Maybe I'm going to piss a lot of libertards off by asking these very basic questions and all, but my philosophy on the issue hasn't maturely developed yet so I'm actually asking right now, not just being sarcastic.

Isn't the risk of BitScalper worth blackballing them from the society? Isn't any business or company trying to remain anonymous supposed to be shooting up red flags for everyone? When a customer's records are not even collected, why would a business need to be anonymous? Can't the customers just remain anonymous?

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:15:47 AM

Watching this thread (for some evidence to back up this accusation).

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
0ni0ns

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:16:58 AM

Now now, we're not advocating the monitoring and control of bitcoiners or even bitcoin, we're advocating exchanges not being anonymous scummy fucks (bitscalper anyone?) and ending the idiot tax this community seems to love dishing out.

I wish anonymous exchanges could function, but they can't, and sooner or later someone's going to pay for it.

Did CryptoXChange ever ask for anyone's ID here?

Why is it so important for an exchange to be absolutely anonymous unless you're trying to sell stolen bitcoins?

Maybe I'm going to piss a lot of libertards off by asking these very basic questions and all, but my philosophy on the issue hasn't maturely developed yet so I'm actually asking right now, not just being sarcastic.

Isn't the risk of BitScalper worth blackballing them from the society? Isn't any business or company trying to remain anonymous supposed to be shooting up red flags for everyone? When a customer's records are not even collected, why would a business need to be anonymous? Can't the customers just remain anonymous?

I have never stolen a single bitcoin, but like remaining anonymous because of business on a certain tor site. I am sure many others agree.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:19:17 AM

I have never stolen a single bitcoin, but like remaining anonymous because of business on a certain tor site. I am sure many others agree.

I agree with customers having the right to remain anonymous. That is easily enough done through most exchanges when you know the rules they have to follow. (I'd say MtGox might be the strictest)

The problem (like with BitScalper) is that there is absolutely no accountability for businesses when they try to remain anonymous. Anyone advocating that a business be allowed to operate anonymously is advocating fraud.

bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:19:26 AM

You're claiming this with absolutely zero evidence.  Anyone can link to blockchain.info (it wasn't even CoinExchanger who posted the link, but Jonathan Ryan Owens - and is meaningless in any case).  There is no reason to believe that there is any connection whatsoever between CoinExchanger and bitcoinica's stolen bitcoins.  For you to assert that there is, is both confusing and counterproductive.

Your activism/leadership may be well-intentioned, but its beginning to look overzealous and borderline irresponsible.  It is not what one would expect from a professional (director of bitcoin magazine), and to be honest I'm growing a bit uncomfortable having trusted you with my pre-order for the magazine.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:19:54 AM

I don't think anyone wants to comply with over-bearing government regulations and audits. Getting gov't more involved with fraud is dangerous in that it makes it more difficult for legitimate people from conducting business without complying with gov't laws. FinCEN laws affect more involved with BTC than just exchanges.

I'd rather have BitScalper and CoinTumbler than coercive regulation of Bitcoin businesses. Bitcoin is information, and policing information is the fastest way to kill Bitcoin.  Smiley  Tongue
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:21:57 AM

You're claiming this with absolutely zero evidence.  Anyone can link to blockchain.info (it wasn't even CoinExchanger who posted the link, but Jonathan Ryan Owens - and is meaningless in any case).  There is no reason to believe that there is any connection whatsoever between CoinExchanger and bitcoinica's stolen bitcoins.  For you to assert that there is, is both confusing and counterproductive.

Your activism/leadership may be well-intentioned, but its beginning to look overzealous and borderline irresponsible.  It is not what one would expect from a professional (director of bitcoin magazine), and to be honest I'm growing a bit uncomfortable having trusted you with my pre-order for the magazine.

Don't assume that everything I post here is intended for your eyes. Apologies for any confusion. The coins were picked up by his claim moments after they were sent and there is no hard concrete proof he even has them, that is his claim. It was however necessary to state these things to incite a dialogue. Bear with me while we (not just I) get to the bottom of it.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:27:34 AM

I'd rather have BitScalper and CoinTumbler than coercive regulation of Bitcoin businesses. Bitcoin is information, and policing information is the fastest way to kill Bitcoin.  Smiley  Tongue

Nice spin there buddy. Let's straighten it back out. All exchanges are already registered, except one, who calls Bitcoins monopoly money and says that he has the stolen coins. MtGox, CryptoXChange, Intersango, they've all gone through the steps necessary and required of them by their legal operating countries in order to be legal and provide a legal service. CoinExchanger ignores these responsibilities under the guise of providing anonymity (except everything they claim is always a lie or completely unprovable).

0ni0ns

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:30:18 AM

I agree with customers having the right to remain anonymous. That is easily enough done through most exchanges when you know the rules they have to follow. (I'd say MtGox might be the strictest)

The problem (like with BitScalper) is that there is absolutely no accountability for businesses when they try to remain anonymous. Anyone advocating that a business be allowed to operate anonymously is advocating fraud.

I'm not sure what you mean by fraud. I certainly don't support theft but I do support money laundering for certain purposes. An anonymous exchange is a place where someone could sell coins without worrying about the government forcing the exchange to give them their identity.

Edit

I am not saying I would ever do business with coinexchanger. But anonymous services like silk road and bitcoin fog do have their place.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:32:32 AM

An anonymous exchange is a place where someone could sell coins without worrying about the government forcing the exchange to give them their identity.
An anonymous exchange is a place that can advertise itself as an exchange, then take off with everyone's money after a while.

MyBitcoin.com V2.0.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: