Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 07:32:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CryptoNote] A complete forking guide to create your own CryptoNote currency  (Read 18504 times)
LAstar

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 04:17:57 PM

Anyway, it's all stupid because at the moment only XMR is advancing towards that goal of mass adoption whereas the one hurting that goal are the designers of the technology.

It's already a politcal movement that looks a lot like bitcoin. It's a wonder such smart people can't see it - ah greed !

^This Smiley
You shouldn't be so fast, you know? There are a lot of discussion thread and dialogs here that can easily let us understand that "XMR engine" isn't so clean. Somebody believe that monero devs just stole their technologies, but anyway - they failed on the mass adoption way
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 04:33:26 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2014, 06:13:27 PM by binaryFate

Anyway, it's all stupid because at the moment only XMR is advancing towards that goal of mass adoption whereas the one hurting that goal are the designers of the technology.

It's already a politcal movement that looks a lot like bitcoin. It's a wonder such smart people can't see it - ah greed !

^This Smiley
You shouldn't be so fast, you know? There are a lot of discussion thread and dialogs here that can easily let us understand that "XMR engine" isn't so clean. Somebody believe that monero devs just stole their technologies, but anyway - they failed on the mass adoption way

Nobody failed, and nobody succeeded on the mass adoption way, in the world of cryptonote. This is just too early.
But I hardly believe creating dozens of copy-coins with slightly different numbers is going to help mass adoption of anything.
Do you think that something like http://www.coingen.io/ ever brought anything useful?

I'm really disgussed by 99% of the alt-coin world with useless copy-cats and so little innovation, so much greed and so little normal open-source spirit cooperation, etc. I find it sad that cryptonote is apparently taking that way. Since that makes me sad, I wonder what are the motives behind, this is a legitimate reaction.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
othe

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 05:35:50 PM

^This Smiley

Nobody failed, and nobody succeeded on the mass adoption way, in the world of cryptonote. This is just too hearly.
But I hardly believe creating dozens of copy-coins with slightly different numbers is going to help mass adoption of anything.
Do you think that something like http://www.coingen.io/ ever brought anything useful?

I'm really disgussed by 99% of the alt-coin world with useless copy-cats and so little innovation, so much greed and so little normal open-source spirit cooperation, etc. I find it sad that cryptonote is apparently taking that way. Since that makes me sad, I wonder what are the motives behind, this is a legitimate reaction.

The problem with altcoins is, effectively they are all fighting for hashrate. This is bad as it makes every network kind of insecure, the more coins are out the more hashrate is spread around them, in the end noone of those networks is secure.
So - it makes absolutely no sense to put out x coins especially when they use the same proof of work, theres absolutely no way to secure a small coin with a small hashrate.
Auroracoin was mentioned earlier as an example and that is the worst example you can take, there is simply no way a bunch of icelandic people can secure the  blockchain against a malicous attacker.

Look at this: http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency/coins/auroracoin
They dont even have 1 ghash nethash, that means 3x KNC Miner Titan could 51% attack them easily.
Dogecoin is also a nice example, they had more hashrate than Litecoin and could effectively damage them if they wanted to.

This is my point, why this move is somewhat akward and dangerous.

PS: i currently consider only Bitcoin and maybe Litecoin as secure when it comes to that point.

binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 07:13:52 PM

Bytecoin won't be mentioned as the reference code by tomorrow. It did perfect job on the earlier stages, but it's time for us to make our own reference code.

What made you change your mind and stand on bytecoin? Why now?

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
WtwkG

Activity: 59

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 07:29:30 PM

This is a very interesting.
Great idea of first anonymous currency, i'm sure it will finalize in the near future that will dispel any our doubts.
darkota

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 07:30:29 PM

Doesn't this just make it even easier for people without any knowledge of how to make an altcoin churn out hundreds of unneeded and unwanted shitcoins and scamcoins?

Yea, it does. This is a stupid ass move.
coffee999

Activity: 13

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 10:07:03 PM

Well, competitiveness is always good especially for coins. Let's see what will be later. Good luck, guys!
btell

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 10:11:16 PM

We're not surprised with your response.

First of all, I suggest you re-read our philosophy: https://cryptonote.org/inside.php#philosophy

CryptoNote mission is to provide you with the tools that could be used to subvert the paradigm and decentralize the international financial system. Such radical innovation should not be grown from within one center, it requires a lot of contributors to become a trend. We are concerned with strategic issues of the whole platform not a single coin, which is only a tiny part of the ecosystem that is being crafted at the moment. The advent of CryptoNote allowed to create first truly anonymous currencies, but the goal is to create a fair financial system.

We have stated it multiple times and I'm going to repeat it once again, we will never launch or maintain a real currency. We've opened this opportunity for the community to create and grow their own CryptoNote coins and let the market and developers teams decide which one is going to succeed and become the main CryptoNote currency. We're not jumping on this "train", we're working hard to create the rails for it and won't be lured away from our mission. That is why we are not going to specifically promote any of the existing currencies, and you have to face it.

Unfortunately, the community is using decentralized currencies but still operates within centralized financial system frame. While proponents of Bitcoin or any other particular currencies try to focus their efforts and create yet another centralized financial asset, we envision a much larger picture with a lot of co-existing cryptocurrencies, corporate currencies, private currencies, community currencies, niche currencies, etc. Consider Auroracoin and how it was proposed to educate Iceland on cryptocurrencies and create liquidity out of nowhere. This trend will be reinforced with more and more national and regional coins launching. A truly decentralized financial system requires a number of stable and fair currencies, not a single one.

According to our roadmap it is time for new CryptoNote currencies to emerge so that the whole CryptoNote platform becomes more stable and diversified. Apart form what I've mentioned above, this will also lead to more significant contribution from the community and much faster technology development. We're already working on the crypto protocol documentation to help you, but this will take some time. What you are largely misunderstanding is that CryptoNote is still relatively raw as the technology and requires more attention to gain momentum.

Having said that, CryptoNoteCoin will not be a sustainable coin. You can be sure that we know what we are talking about. Actual implementation may vary. For instance, genesis block will be changed everyone month, which will break the previously mined block chain. We'll also give a way a lot of the coin for free for the newbies to give CryptoNote a try and then move on to the currencies that you create or support.

And finally some specific questions:

As the posts above as stated, it just doesn't match the current situation to create yet a new coin for "educational purposes".
When you say "we'll merge all the best from all cryptonote coins, leaving out the useless", this sounds awefully like a marketing speach to me. There is no such thing as an absolute "best" and an absolute "useless" when judging aspects.

Perfectly pointed out! From one side, they speak about protection from commercial use of 'educational' coin. From another side, they speak about merging all the best features and bugfixes from any other existing cryptonote coins!

CryptoNoteCoin will serve as the showcase for the whole technology. We'll maintain and update its source code to incorporate most prominent technology advancements. We'll also update usability from time to time, but wouldn't put too much emphasis on it.

Also one can find from this new thread on their forum, that the new Cryptonote creators' group who started shit-fork-opportunity web site & this thread do STILL mention bytecoin as reference real-coin implementation, and they call new sources as official ones to fork purposes only (without built-in constants).

Bytecoin won't be mentioned as the reference code by tomorrow. It did perfect job on the earlier stages, but it's time for us to make our own reference code.

Is OP legit? I don't believe that the user cryptonote is someone in CryptoNote team. Maybe fake account
Unfortunately things are not so simple - see my posts above that user cryptonote did prove some PART of he is somewhat belongs to official Cryptonote team.
May be internal team conflict?

You are really amazing at finding conspiracy and hidden motives. I promise you that tomorrow you will learn something awesome.

P.S. SSL certificate will be fixed.

As for me, I have been satisfied by the answer above. Now I understand your motives quite a lot. You mentioned, "Unfortunately, the community is using decentralized currencies but still operates within centralized financial system frame." This is true. But our frame originate from the fact we do not understand Cryptonote technology in details. We can not prove whether it is mathematically correct or not by ourselves. That's why I suppose it were better if you attracted celebrities experts in computer cryptography to prove it. For example, you might do a print in a reviewed scientific journal.

Then, you mentioned that you will explain cryptonote protocol in details, it just takes a time. Why don't you start from this point? Then you might declare github source for fork purposes only, and we might understand your motives more smoothly.

Can you discover us your roadmap to the future? What about blockchain bloating problem? Or how does Cryptonote protect againt double spend in case of 51% attack?

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 01:30:28 AM

According to our roadmap it is time for new CryptoNote currencies to emerge so that the whole CryptoNote platform becomes more stable and diversified. Apart form what I've mentioned above, this will also lead to more significant contribution from the community and much faster technology development. We're already working on the crypto protocol documentation to help you, but this will take some time. What you are largely misunderstanding is that CryptoNote is still relatively raw as the technology and requires more attention to gain momentum.

In the past 2 1/2 months 7 cryptonote coins have been introduced.  Is this pace too slow for you?  At this rate there will be there will be 25 by the end of the year.  Is this not enough for development purposes?

darlidada

Activity: 723
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 03:15:11 AM

Thank you for your answears Cryptonote.
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 06:17:38 AM

... What aboufor t blockchain bloating problem? Or how does Cryptonote protect againt double spend in case of 51% attack?

CryptoNote to my best understanding is a raw specification. Blockchain bloat is an issue of a specific implementation. It depends on how an implementation works. BoolBerry seems to have a solution to reduce the size of the blockchain already

>> Or how does Cryptonote protect againt double spend in case of 51% attack
Have you read the same topic on CryptoNote forum?
digicoin
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 06:26:16 AM

My concern over CryptoNote team is that they are shady as hell. They say this project is for education but their actions seem to be different. not transparent at all.

I believe that XMR and BBR are the leading coins, no matter what CryptoNote team does. Developers behind XMR and BBR have good understanding of CryptoNote specs already.
florida.haunted

Activity: 241
Merit: 125

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 08:09:40 AM

We're not surprised with your response.

First of all, I suggest you re-read our philosophy: https://cryptonote.org/inside.php#philosophy

CryptoNote mission is to provide you with the tools that could be used to subvert the paradigm and decentralize the international financial system. Such radical innovation should not be grown from within one center, it requires a lot of contributors to become a trend. We are concerned with strategic issues of the whole platform not a single coin, which is only a tiny part of the ecosystem that is being crafted at the moment. The advent of CryptoNote allowed to create first truly anonymous currencies, but the goal is to create a fair financial system.

We have stated it multiple times and I'm going to repeat it once again, we will never launch or maintain a real currency. We've opened this opportunity for the community to create and grow their own CryptoNote coins and let the market and developers teams decide which one is going to succeed and become the main CryptoNote currency. We're not jumping on this "train", we're working hard to create the rails for it and won't be lured away from our mission. That is why we are not going to specifically promote any of the existing currencies, and you have to face it.

Unfortunately, the community is using decentralized currencies but still operates within centralized financial system frame. While proponents of Bitcoin or any other particular currencies try to focus their efforts and create yet another centralized financial asset, we envision a much larger picture with a lot of co-existing cryptocurrencies, corporate currencies, private currencies, community currencies, niche currencies, etc. Consider Auroracoin and how it was proposed to educate Iceland on cryptocurrencies and create liquidity out of nowhere. This trend will be reinforced with more and more national and regional coins launching. A truly decentralized financial system requires a number of stable and fair currencies, not a single one.

Having said that, CryptoNoteCoin will not be a sustainable coin. You can be sure that we know what we are talking about. Actual implementation may vary. For instance, genesis block will be changed everyone month, which will break the previously mined block chain. We'll also give a way a lot of the coin for free for the newbies to give CryptoNote a try and then move on to the currencies that you create or support.

And finally some specific questions:

As the posts above as stated, it just doesn't match the current situation to create yet a new coin for "educational purposes".
When you say "we'll merge all the best from all cryptonote coins, leaving out the useless", this sounds awefully like a marketing speach to me. There is no such thing as an absolute "best" and an absolute "useless" when judging aspects.

Perfectly pointed out! From one side, they speak about protection from commercial use of 'educational' coin. From another side, they speak about merging all the best features and bugfixes from any other existing cryptonote coins!

CryptoNoteCoin will serve as the showcase for the whole technology. We'll maintain and update its source code to incorporate most prominent technology advancements. We'll also update usability from time to time, but wouldn't put too much emphasis on it.

Also one can find from this new thread on their forum, that the new Cryptonote creators' group who started shit-fork-opportunity web site & this thread do STILL mention bytecoin as reference real-coin implementation, and they call new sources as official ones to fork purposes only (without built-in constants).

Is OP legit? I don't believe that the user cryptonote is someone in CryptoNote team. Maybe fake account
Unfortunately things are not so simple - see my posts above that user cryptonote did prove some PART of he is somewhat belongs to official Cryptonote team.
May be internal team conflict?

You are really amazing at finding conspiracy and hidden motives. I promise you that tomorrow you will learn something awesome.

P.S. SSL certificate will be fixed.

Now I feel you are likely a honest person...

Indeed few mistakes you did. First, you have to describe Cryptonote algorithm & protocol in details, may be in pseudo-code, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sha256
as example format.

May be you should prepare the whole wiki site for Cryptonote.

Then you should make an article in scientific journal.

And after wiki & article, you may release fork opportunity (you have done it first by mistake).

*** So, we all first wait for you to fix SSL certificate issues! Doing this you will prove your authority and recover your sincerity. ***
illodin

Activity: 966

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 08:34:03 AM

... What aboufor t blockchain bloating problem? Or how does Cryptonote protect againt double spend in case of 51% attack?

CryptoNote to my best understanding is a raw specification. Blockchain bloat is an issue of a specific implementation. It depends on how an implementation works. BoolBerry seems to have a solution to reduce the size of the blockchain already

Will this reference implementation fix the scalability issues?
digicoin
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 10:44:48 AM

I believe that CryptoNote team has designed a great solution for transaction privacy. Scalability is not what they focus on. Please assign that task to XMR and BBR developers
dreamspark

Activity: 798

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 11:00:06 AM

Well, competitiveness is always good especially for coins. Let's see what will be later. Good luck, guys!

To a degree yes but as explained above in the alt world its not always the case.

Competitiveness between different algo's, features and distribution methods is good and that is what you get between completely different alts. However competitiveness in the form of a load of clones with basically the same algo, features and distribution methods is NOT a good thing. As explained the strength of a coin is on its network and all a load of greedy shitclones do is dilute the hashing power making every network less secure. All that for no reason other than greed and feeling you missed the boat.

I still can't make my mind up on the motivation of the cryptonote team who seem to me to have been divided. They profess to want to move the technology forward but I cannot see how providing basically a fill in the variables reference implementation that allows people who didnt have the skills before to create their own CN to do so. This is one of the reasons there are so many shitcoins based on common coins with shit devs who have never coded in their life and cannot do any real development. IMO the cryptonote team should be doing all it can to focus on the privacy technology and releasing that as and when, what way they choose to do that would be up to them but I believe the way this has come about makes me question the true motives.
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 01:58:29 PM

I get a virus warning when clicking on "http://cryptonotestarter.org" ...
Cheesus

Activity: 692
Merit: 254

terra-credit.com

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 02:01:54 PM

I get a virus warning when clicking on "http://cryptonotestarter.org" ...

Works fine for me in Chrome & Tor.

What kind of virus?

███████████████████████
  █████████████████████ 
    ███████████████████ 
      █████████████████ 
███████████████████████
          █████████████ 
            ███████████ 
              █████████ 
                ███████ 
                  ████