Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:27:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Does the prospect of the Chinese government having access to your personal details concern you?
yes - 32 (54.2%)
no - 27 (45.8%)
Total Voters: 58

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I would supply my contact info to bitcoinica...  (Read 1595 times)
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2012, 10:48:06 PM

but not the Chinese government.

I guess many people feel the same way, but haven't spelled it out yet.
amirite?

To zhoutong: Have you explored possibilities to get bitcoinica under a jurisdiction where collecting personal information isn't required to that extent?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
marked

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 10:56:57 PM

and what makes you think the Chinese/Russian/US intelligence don't already have that information.

marked
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 11:04:15 PM

Sorry OP. You lost me.

As a US citizen who needs to supply birth certificate, passport, criminal background check, etc just to get certain types of visas, green card or dual citizenship in South Korea, the idea of providing my personal information to another country in exchange for a privilege of a service or access to something is far from foreign.

I scan my retinas, my fingerprints, and my face everytime I leave this country and everytime I get into another. There is a method to the madness. For people who are busy creating, it's seen as a discomfort and inconvenience, nothing more.

late443

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 11:15:16 PM

Sorry OP. You lost me.

As a US citizen who needs to supply birth certificate, passport, criminal background check, etc just to get certain types of visas, green card or dual citizenship in South Korea, the idea of providing my personal information to another country in exchange for a privilege of a service or access to something is far from foreign.

I scan my retinas, my fingerprints, and my face everytime I leave this country and everytime I get into another. There is a method to the madness. For people who are busy creating, it's seen as a discomfort and inconvenience, nothing more.
I have never had to scan my retinas,fingerprints, or face when I leave the country.
and as far as personal information being collected, sometimes its for the best as long as the user is aware of it.
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2012, 11:23:53 PM

Sorry OP. You lost me.

As a citizen of an European country I guess I am somewhat "spoiled" in that regard. But even I have heard enough of the TSA controversy... as an example. They don't exactly honor your rights with that....

But this is bitcoin, part of it is about rights, privacy and it is systematically opposed to centralized control.
I smell a little hypocrisy in your argument.

and what makes you think the Chinese/Russian/US intelligence don't already have that information.

If they do they got it without my cooperation. That's my point.
zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 12:38:43 AM

amirite?

To zhoutong: Have you explored possibilities to get bitcoinica under a jurisdiction where collecting personal information isn't required to that extent?

What makes you think that the Chinese government is concerning about your personal information?

As a Chinese citizen, I'm sure that even though the government is hard to deal with sometimes, it is one of the least troublesome ones in the financial world. I'm able to buy/sell gold and silver and put them in my bank savings account online and I've never heard of anyone close got investigated for money laundering because of weird transactions.

Of course, incorporating in China isn't an option. I'm not interested in doing this either.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 12:41:14 AM

electricmucus, you're back Grin

(BFL)^2 < 0
zhoutong
VIP

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 12:58:07 AM

FYI,

I voted "Yes".

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 03:43:58 AM
Last edit: March 05, 2012, 03:57:01 AM by ElectricMucus

What makes you think that the Chinese government is concerning about your personal information?

As a Chinese citizen, I'm sure that even though the government is hard to deal with sometimes, it is one of the least troublesome ones in the financial world. I'm able to buy/sell gold and silver and put them in my bank savings account online and I've never heard of anyone close got investigated for money laundering because of weird transactions.

Of course, incorporating in China isn't an option. I'm not interested in doing this either.

Let me be more specific:

My main concern isn't that your government does know who I am and where I live, in principle although I still prefer it doesn't. Mine does, for me that I have to accept and if they want that information they can probably transfer that information.

It is that very specific information is associated with the identification, every information stored on the bitcoinica servers which is bad on it's own but also my ip address and so every other of my online activity which is (supposedly and partly admittedly) monitored. And since I don't know how much information exchange takes place between different governments in the worst case all my online activity could be associated to my name and my address, and that in a officially documented (pun intended) way.

Furthermore I don't discriminate here, I don't want my government (or any other one) to know what I do with my money either, I know sometimes they (probably) still do but not in this fashion and not with the prospect of being associated with a specific group, in the form of a honeypot. My guess is governments don't discriminate either, in how they are regarding us.

@ineededausername, probably, I guess I moved on prematurely  Grin
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 05:03:10 AM

I'm able to buy/sell gold and silver and put them in my bank savings account online

I don't intend to hijack this thread but that statement is interesting to me.  Are you saying that in China there are gold-denominated bank accounts?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

zhoutong
VIP

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 06:29:59 AM

I'm able to buy/sell gold and silver and put them in my bank savings account online

I don't intend to hijack this thread but that statement is interesting to me.  Are you saying that in China there are gold-denominated bank accounts?

Yes, my ICBC bank account supports Chinese Yuan, USD, AUD, SGD and gold ounce.

stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 06:54:15 AM

amirite?

Are you kidding?  Do you think China would look at the paperwork?  Every time I go to China there are two lines to follow when going through Chinese customs.  One green line for no declarations and a red line is for declarations.  There is no point in going to declare any items because the line just ends up in the no-declaration line anyway.

As long as someone doesn't endanger the thugs that run that country, a person can do whatever they want.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 07:21:54 AM

Yes, my ICBC bank account supports Chinese Yuan, USD, AUD, SGD and gold ounce.

I see now.   If I understand it correctly, either the bank is selling the "paper gold" from a fund to you directly, or you are transferring the PM funds from an exchange to your bank account. 

I was thinking it might be some type of funds transfer system denominated in gold.   (Well it might be, but only between the exchange and your bank.)
 - http://www.icbc.com.cn/ICBC/E-banking/PersonalEbankingService/WealthManagement/GoldTrade/PreciousMetalAccount/

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

pastory99

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 08:37:01 AM

It really doesn't make a difference whether they do or don't tbh.
Bigpiggy01

Activity: 1138
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 04:14:00 PM

Agricultural Bank of China is supposedly launching physical accounts as well.

However if they're going to be available outside the PRC remains to be seen.

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█