Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:26:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S3 - Profit is Impossible  (Read 20027 times)
ALToids

Activity: 519
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 08:41:25 PM

As long as BTC goes up, you can certainly make a profit.  You just have to buy with fiat (i.e., either convert fiat to BTC and buy antminers, or buy antminers and then buy back the BTC with fiat).  If you just buy with BTC you already have, it will be difficult.

That's not really making a profit.  That's gaining more fiat based on the exchange rate.

You need to compare how much BTC the miner costs currently as opposed to how much the miner can mine during it's useful life.  Almost every miner will currently return a loss.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iglasses
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 11:25:38 PM

Here is why I disagree...

round one
@ 18g
495Ghs
.1656 (.0138 per day)

round two
15% increase to 20.7
.144 (.0120 per day)

round three
15% increase to 23.8
.126 (.0105 per day)

round four
15% increase to 27.4
.1092 (.0091 per day)

round five
15% increase to 31.6
.0948 (.0079 per day)

round six
15% increase to 36.4
.0816 (.0068 per day)

round seven
15% increase to 41.86
.072 (.0060 per day)

.7932 after 84 days (2.8 months)

If you look at the last ten difficulty increases they average out to 16%.  If you add the next one which is likely to be 7-8% it comes down to an average increase of 15%.  The numbers above do not account for any hosting or electricity costs but for some of us these numbers do not exist.  If I can break even in the amount of time above and then continue to run the miners for an additional 2-3 months and then liquidate it for ten cents on the dollar (.075BTC) why the hell would I NOT want to do it?

I only have a signature because I'm allowed.
googlemaster1

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 12:15:22 AM

Here is why I disagree...

round one
@ 18g
495Ghs
.1656 (.0138 per day)

round two
15% increase to 20.7
.144 (.0120 per day)

round three
15% increase to 23.8
.126 (.0105 per day)

round four
15% increase to 27.4
.1092 (.0091 per day)

round five
15% increase to 31.6
.0948 (.0079 per day)

round six
15% increase to 36.4
.0816 (.0068 per day)

round seven
15% increase to 41.86
.072 (.0060 per day)

.7932 after 84 days (2.8 months)

If you look at the last ten difficulty increases they average out to 16%.  If you add the next one which is likely to be 7-8% it comes down to an average increase of 15%.  The numbers above do not account for any hosting or electricity costs but for some of us these numbers do not exist.  If I can break even in the amount of time above and then continue to run the miners for an additional 2-3 months and then liquidate it for ten cents on the dollar (.075BTC) why the hell would I NOT want to do it?

iglasses, don't be an asshole.  You know these threads only exist to stop future miners from raising the difficulty so we can have more BTC for ourselves.  WHY YOU GOTTA RUIN A GOOD THING BRO? Wink

BTC: 15565dcUp4LEWe6KYT7tawMHFRL4cBbFGN
iglasses
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 12:49:16 AM

Google your right. Please accept my most sincere apology. Potential miners....please be advised I am known to ingest copious amounts of alcohol and cannot be trusted.

Ig

CoinsCoinsEverywhere

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 06:26:05 AM

As long as BTC goes up, you can certainly make a profit.  You just have to buy with fiat (i.e., either convert fiat to BTC and buy antminers, or buy antminers and then buy back the BTC with fiat).  If you just buy with BTC you already have, it will be difficult.

That's not really making a profit.  That's gaining more fiat based on the exchange rate.

You need to compare how much BTC the miner costs currently as opposed to how much the miner can mine during it's useful life.  Almost every miner will currently return a loss.

As I stated in a more round-about fashion, comparing strictly in terms of BTC, making a profit would be difficult.  So we agree there.  But how is gaining more fiat not making a profit?
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 06:32:13 AM

the reason these miners are sold so quickly is because of new miners. Every new miner heard of the succes of the s1 and when they hear the new s3 is announced they immediately jump in. As you said, no rational miner will buy this.

yep all newbies buy equip ....(heh me to) I got a knc jupter july 1st 2013 had no problem with 7131.80 usd for the miner..shoulda just got btc instead heh
got 50 btc out of the jupiter eol likely woulda had like 80 if just got btc

a newbie tradition heh

Searing

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
TheJuice

Activity: 841
Merit: 608

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 11:50:46 AM

Ummm, haven't we learned anything in bitcoin mining? Never say never.

The diff adjustment this next block will be 2%. In 2 months at that rate you break even.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 12:48:31 PM

Ummm, haven't we learned anything in bitcoin mining? Never say never.

The diff adjustment this next block will be 2%. In 2 months at that rate you break even.

You got that right! The more I learn about BTC the less I know!

conundrum

Searing

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
googlemaster1

Activity: 280

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:37:27 PM

the reason these miners are sold so quickly is because of new miners. Every new miner heard of the succes of the s1 and when they hear the new s3 is announced they immediately jump in. As you said, no rational miner will buy this.

yep all newbies buy equip ....(heh me to) I got a knc jupter july 1st 2013 had no problem with 7131.80 usd for the miner..shoulda just got btc instead heh
got 50 btc out of the jupiter eol likely woulda had like 80 if just got btc

a newbie tradition heh

Searing

Really mining should only be a small portion of your investment if you are really bullish.  I use mining to hedge, really.  And it makes the MOST sense to get into mining now for that reason because we are getting to the top end of what is possible with current hardware.  A few terrahashes never hurt nobody!

BTC: 15565dcUp4LEWe6KYT7tawMHFRL4cBbFGN
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 07:40:00 AM

A good calculator for mining:
https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator

Play with these inputs and you'll realize that it's almost impossible ever to break even.

I managed to make a profit of 0.65 BTC only by using some very strong assumptions:

Price = 0.75 BTC (I.e. no VAT/customs, free PSU)
Electricity only $0.10/kWh
Only 10% difficulty increment

It implies that no EU resident will ever be able to make a profit. If you live in some parts of the US, you might profit marginally, but not worthwhile given the risk of hardware failure.

May someone explain their rationale for investing in Antminer S3? Maybe something I missed?

Nope...you pretty much hit the nail on the head.  Even here in the states the likelihood of recovering your initial investment in hardware is slim to none.  Plus, your also assuming 100% uptime.  Rig's quit unexpectedly for a variety of reasons:
1.) Hardware issue(s) (failed fans, etc.)
2.) Internet connection lost
3.) Pool(s) going down (this can be largely mitigated by having secondary and tertiary pools but you still lose some hash power switching pools)

All and all mining isn't even a 0 sum game at this point.  It's a guaranteed loss!

If you keep them and mine with them, yes.

I don't know if it's still true or not, but people used to offer above the already bloated retail value to buy ASICs "in hand".

and most people talking about mining with their ASICs aren't people that have been on this board for more than a year or two
Rabinovitch
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076

BTCLife.global participant

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 08:30:00 AM

May someone explain their rationale for investing in Antminer S3? Maybe something I missed?
All that calculators are for them who will withdraw their just-mined coins and axchange it to "usual money". You missed that BTC exchange ratio should and will inevitably grow. That's all.  Roll Eyes

From Siberia with love! Hosting by Rabinovitch!
Fundraising for BOINC Farm
Пpoфeccиoнaльнo зaнимaюcь paзвёpтывaниeм фepм (ASIC, GPU, BURST, STORJ, Filecoin), oбopyдoвaниeм пoмeщeний для мaйнингa.
brian_23452

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 08:56:31 AM

All that calculators are for them who will withdraw their just-mined coins and axchange it to "usual money". You missed that BTC exchange ratio should and will inevitably grow. That's all.  Roll Eyes

Why do people keep saying this?  What does the exchange ratio have to do with it?  If you purchase a device for .75BTC it either mines more than .75BTC or it mines less than .75BTC.  If it ends up mining less than .75BTC you lost money, regardless of the relative exchange rates.  This should be intuitively obvious. 
CoinsCoinsEverywhere

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:23:49 AM

Why do people keep saying this?  What does the exchange ratio have to do with it?  If you purchase a device for .75BTC it either mines more than .75BTC or it mines less than .75BTC.  If it ends up mining less than .75BTC you lost money, regardless of the relative exchange rates.  This should be intuitively obvious.  

If you just buy with BTC, then yes.  But if you buy with converted fiat, it would be a lot easier to make a profit.  For example, if the USD exchange rate is 600 right now, you could buy a 0.75 BTC miner for $450.  If BTC goes up to $1200 each, then you only need to mine 0.375 BTC to break even in fiat terms (ignoring potential power supply and power costs).

However, it is certainly true that you could skip the whole mining process and simply buy 0.75 BTC instead.  But that's less fun. Wink
brian_23452

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:46:35 AM

Why do people keep saying this?  What does the exchange ratio have to do with it?  If you purchase a device for .75BTC it either mines more than .75BTC or it mines less than .75BTC.  If it ends up mining less than .75BTC you lost money, regardless of the relative exchange rates.  This should be intuitively obvious.  

If you just buy with BTC, then yes.  But if you buy with converted fiat, it would be a lot easier to make a profit.  For example, if the USD exchange rate is 600 right now, you could buy a 0.75 BTC miner for $450.  If BTC goes up to $1200 each, then you only need to mine 0.375 BTC to break even in fiat terms (ignoring potential power supply and power costs).

I don't know how easier to explain it to you.  .75BTC is .75BTC, it makes no difference whether you bought it on an exchange, "converted" it as you say, mined it, stole it, scammed it from someone in the lending section, whatever.  If you purchase this miner for .75BTC and then it mines .375BTC, you just lost .375BTC.  Meanwhile, the person who didn't purchase this miner still has .75BTC.  BTC increasing to $1200 has nothing to do with it you lost 0.375BTC.  If you absolutely insist on thinking in terms of dollars, than the person who didn't purchase the miner now has $900.  You should have $900 too but because you bought the miner instead of keeping the .75BTC, you now only have $450.  You didn't break even.  You mined $450 worth of bitcoin but spent $900 worth of bitcoin to get it. 

I'm not going to keep beating a dead horse.  If you can't understand the simple, intuitively obvious concept that 0.75BTC is always more than 0.375BTC no matter what the fiat exchange rate is, than I don't really know what else to say on the matter.

Katarina

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 01:09:51 PM

However, it is certainly true that you could skip the whole mining process and simply buy 0.75 BTC instead.  But that's less fun. Wink

Save you the trouble, buy the 0.75 BTC with $450 and then sell it when it hit $1200. You now have $900.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 01:17:16 PM

I like my BTC toys.
CoinsCoinsEverywhere

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 04:59:01 PM

I don't know how easier to explain it to you.  .75BTC is .75BTC, it makes no difference whether you bought it on an exchange, "converted" it as you say, mined it, stole it, scammed it from someone in the lending section, whatever.  If you purchase this miner for .75BTC and then it mines .375BTC, you just lost .375BTC.  Meanwhile, the person who didn't purchase this miner still has .75BTC.  BTC increasing to $1200 has nothing to do with it you lost 0.375BTC.  If you absolutely insist on thinking in terms of dollars, than the person who didn't purchase the miner now has $900.  You should have $900 too but because you bought the miner instead of keeping the .75BTC, you now only have $450.  You didn't break even.  You mined $450 worth of bitcoin but spent $900 worth of bitcoin to get it. 

I'm not going to keep beating a dead horse.  If you can't understand the simple, intuitively obvious concept that 0.75BTC is always more than 0.375BTC no matter what the fiat exchange rate is, than I don't really know what else to say on the matter.

Did you see the part where I said, "However, it is certainly true that you could skip the whole mining process and simply buy 0.75 BTC instead.  But that's less fun."?  (Although I will grant you that I added this to my original comment a minute or two after I posted the first part, so you may not have seen it before you started writing your comment.)
iglasses
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:19:24 PM

What if the coin goes DOWN?

Can you profit buying the coin (shorting BTC is very difficult from what I understand) if the exchange rate drops?  A miner can.

brian_23452

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 07:22:43 PM

Did you see the part where I said, "However, it is certainly true that you could skip the whole mining process and simply buy 0.75 BTC instead.  But that's less fun."?  (Although I will grant you that I added this to my original comment a minute or two after I posted the first part, so you may not have seen it before you started writing your comment.)

No, I didn't see that when I replied.  I was speaking strictly in terms of what makes you the most money.  If you enjoy mining then of course you might purchase a miner even knowing that it will lose you money/
brian_23452

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 07:26:58 PM

What if the coin goes DOWN?

Can you profit buying the coin (shorting BTC is very difficult from what I understand) if the exchange rate drops?  A miner can.

Purchase miner for 0.75BTC.  Mine 0.375BTC.  BTC goes down to say $100.  You have 0.375BTC worth $37.50.
Don't purchase miner, keep the .75BTC.  BTC goes down to say $100.  You have 0.75BTC worth $75.00.

No matter what happens with the exchange rate of BTC or whether it goes up or down, 0.75BTC is always more than 0.375. 
At this point I simply refuse to believe that anyone can be this obtuse or ignorant.  You must be trolling. 
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: