Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:54:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to delete bitcointalk forum account?  (Read 7594 times)
tarazet

March 06, 2012, 05:43:49 AM

How can I delete my bitcointalk.org forum account?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheHeroMember

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 06:54:34 AM

You need to login at least 24hours straight then hit on logout button and never login back, you'll be forgotten then as soon as you follow carefully the steps.

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
tarazet

March 06, 2012, 02:42:45 PM
Last edit: March 06, 2012, 02:53:49 PM by tarazet

After how much time will it be deleted? How do I verify account deletion without ever trying to login back again?

What irritates me is..  "as soon as" I "never login back" ..has no end point, does that mean the account would never be deleted?
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 03:23:08 PM

PM Theymos if you want to get it deleted... though not sure why you care about an account where the only 2 posts are right here.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 03:40:05 PM

Go to the "change password" feature. Type a whole bunch of characters you won't remember in as your new password. Press save.

Actually deleting an account would be disruptive to a forum, parts of a conversation would go missing and make threads into nonsense, so it's normally not done.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 03:43:07 PM

PM Theymos if you want to get it deleted... though not sure why you care about an account where the only 2 posts are right here.

Because he's a moron.
tarazet

March 06, 2012, 05:10:25 PM

thank you all (well, most of you Smiley) for the information.

I just changed my profile data to fake data, for me that is almost as good as deleting my personal data, but not quite in regards of IP addresses. I will change my password to a really long random one (as suggested by deepceleron) and logout. After that, I hope, a deletion request is not needed anymore by me to keep my privacy.

not sure why you care about an account where the only 2 posts are right here.

perhaps I am just accustomed to the information privacy laws in my country that allow me to request deletion of data, that allows connecting to me as a real person, from anyone as long as it is not needed by law to keep the data... I hope information privacy is still a valued goods in the bitcoin community.. I don't want my account being hacked and used over TOR network to do illegal stuff in this forum, and later police knocking on my door because my IP address was saved when I registered to or posted my first three posts in the forum... but on the other hand, perhaps the forum operators are required by law to keep my IP address saved... the whole deletion process and consideration of different laws is just too complicated for me to keep up my deletion request... so for now I just hope SMF is unhackable and the hosting of this forum is totally safe as well...

perhaps my point is not valid because this hacking scenario is in fact impossible and I am just a little bit paranoid ..  Huh

Actually deleting an account would be disruptive to a forum, parts of a conversation would go missing and make threads into nonsense, so it's normally not done.

it seems that SMF is really not as good as i thought, just look at other forum software where "deleting" user accounts does not disrupt any conversations and no postings or conversations go missing by deleting user accounts. sure the account would not be actually "deleted".. but wait, if all account data except for the user ID is completely substituted by a "deleted user #399" account data, for me that means "deleting" the original account...
I think I was not precise enough... I was not interested in deleting the account per se but in deleting any information that can be used to track back to me as a person...
I really have to choose my words more carefully in the future Cheesy (I still want to register again at some point in the future)

Because he's a moron.
please don't be offensive to anyone in this forum, this does not provide a good image for the bitcoin community, especially to newbies. I think it would be much better to try being helpful instead of being offensive without contributing anything... Kiss

I hope someone can still understand me without thinking of me as a troll Cry
have a good time Smiley
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 05:23:28 PM
Last edit: March 06, 2012, 05:38:23 PM by psy

Well, your IP is not your private information. It MUST be known if you want to roam around the interwebz. That's how they designed the internet.
If you were so worried about it why didn't you use a slow anonymizing network?

But now lets use a little analogy:
If your car is stolen and used on a bank heist are you still to blame?

And dude, being offensive? You registered here yesterday and the only posts you made were to ask for someone to delete your account, so I'm not offending you, I'm stating a fact: You are indeed a moron!

Or do you go around randomly entering peoples' houses and later ask them to put you out just like you did here? FFS Roll Eyes
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 05:31:07 PM

I've signed up for literally hundreds of web sites and message boards and forgotten about maybe 90% of them.

Never, never use real information about yourself on free web sites.  On pay sites you generally have to.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
tarazet

March 06, 2012, 05:45:51 PM

Well, your IP is not your private information. It MUST be known if you want to roam around the interwebz. That's how they designed the internet.

You didn't get my point. It is not about my future use or "not-use" of the internet. It is about information privacy in terms of logging and deleting logged data when requested to. Surely, the forum would not collapse by deleting the data that can connect my account to me as a person, and I think you did not want to suggest this.

I am perfectly OK with logging and being able to be connected to my IP address as long as I use the internet. But I start thinking when I used the internet at some point in the past in a legal way and the account that is no longer used by me and therefore the data connecting the account to me, is possible to be compromised, thus possibly connecting me to a crime I did not do.
But you convinced me not to be so paranoid, I think you are right, the police/prosecutor would indeed need to prove that I am the culprit and that the account was not hacked as soon as I say "but my account was hacked".

I've signed up for literally hundreds of web sites and message boards and forgotten about maybe 90% of them.

Never, never use real information about yourself on free web sites.  On pay sites you generally have to.

This is a good suggestion, thank you. I will think about using VPN or other anonymizing services to hide my IP address.

After the last two answers, at last, I will change my password and stop answering and spamming the forum with my personal paranoia. Smiley
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 05:49:41 PM

I say this is just fear mongering... Doesn't matter how you twist it.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 05:50:15 PM

Deleting accounts doesn't mess up any threads, like this thread. It just changes to anonymous, with no profile information. Post stays intact.

Also re: vpn, you can use Tor as well. I don't know how many forums block proxies though, I don't typically use them.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
TheLastDovah

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

Donate at signature <3

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 06:04:59 PM

Why would u want to delete it O_o? Just forget it

Just started with bitcoin would love some help :
13voepynSn4Vio29XKFgGnRztumeCdPQa4
Kinds regards,TheLastDovah

Minefield: http://minefield.bitcoinlab.org/?r=shfCJJLlodohDSNT
BTC:http://coinad.com/?r=13voepynSn4Vio29XKFgGnRztumeCdPQa4
Best site on the internet: http://www.reddit.com

In their tongue im the Dovah!
TheHeroMember

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 11:13:41 AM

Because he's a moron.

Cheesy  Grin  Cheesy  Grin  Cheesy  Grin

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 11:14:57 AM

My name is really Matthew N. Wright.

Got a problem with that?

TheHeroMember

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 11:15:58 AM

Just forget anything till you cant remember your account and password. It works, REALLY.

TheHeroMember

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 11:17:44 AM

Got a problem with that?

Password please... LOL  Cheesy

stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 12:05:15 PM

Got a problem with that?

Not at all.  My name is really Robert Paulson.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
TheHeroMember

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 04:25:57 AM

My Real name is Peter Parker.

TheHeroMember

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 04:29:15 AM

How can I delete my bitcointalk.org forum account?

If you read this post it means that your account isn't deleted yet.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: