Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:03:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buried Treasure  (Read 1081 times)
ManaUser (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 07:38:11 AM

Suppose I were a pirate (either kind) and I wanted to bury some treasure, but being a modern guy wanted it in Bitcoins instead of gold doubloons. How could I best go about that? Just put a wallet.dat on a flash drive? That works I guess, but it's not terribly convenient for either me or the guy who finds it, because wallet.dat isn't really meant to be used that way. Or to put this in a slightly more serious context, what's the most convenient way to transfer a Bitcon private key with another person?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lakeluke

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 07:45:26 AM

buy one of these physical bitcoins, and bury it:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=41892.0

dcc4e

Activity: 9

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 08:15:00 AM

Printing a QR code and plain text representation of the private key would work well.
You just need to make sure what you print it on will last.
ManaUser (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 08:51:09 AM

The original rd client doesn't have any support for importing or exporting these though, right?
frograven

Activity: 35

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 11:19:44 AM

For the authentic shiny object effect, while still have bitcoin value, I'd go for the Casacius bitcoins as well.

payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 11:55:42 AM

i'd never heard of bitcoincloset.com (shown in your photo) so i went there.

interesting stuff.

http://bitcoincloset.com/cache/cachefs/4/40029f0403aedb0dec94f0828d90fccd
TheLastDovah

Activity: 68

Donate at signature <3

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 12:13:33 PM

Sexy t-shirt :p

Just started with bitcoin would love some help :
13voepynSn4Vio29XKFgGnRztumeCdPQa4
Kinds regards,TheLastDovah

Minefield: http://minefield.bitcoinlab.org/?r=shfCJJLlodohDSNT
BTC:http://coinad.com/?r=13voepynSn4Vio29XKFgGnRztumeCdPQa4
Best site on the internet: http://www.reddit.com

In their tongue im the Dovah!
bitcoinsarefun

Activity: 98

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 02:36:52 PM

IBB gave away a treasure chest in a prize !

That is awesome!
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 03:02:32 PM

1 - Generate a private key and an address with qr codes at https://www.bitaddress.org.
2 - Print it.
3 - Send money to the address.
4 - Give it to your friend.
ykasot

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 09:03:25 PM

To promote Bitcoins, we could put some btc at already existing geocaching locations (or new locations).
ManaUser (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 09:45:32 PM

To promote Bitcoins, we could put some btc at already existing geocaching locations (or new locations).

Cool, which method did you use?
ykasot

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 10:01:49 PM

I did not do it, I just had the idea that we could do it. There is a geocaching location in the forest where I live, some hundred meters away from my home, that's why I had the idea of "hijacking" geocaching for bitcoin promotion. I'm not a geocaching enthusiast myself.

I think the best method would be the physical casascious coins or some other way to be sure the person who finds the geocaching treasure really gets the bitcoins contained within. The finder should not be disappointed when trying to redeem the bitcoins, that would not be good promotion for bitcoins. A simple printout is not enough. Perhaps a printout in an envelope, so if the envelope is not intact, the finder would know that the bitcoins are probably already redeemed by someone else. Printout and envelope would need to provide all the neccessary information to enable the finder to easily redeem the bitcoins.
ykasot

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 10:21:35 PM

I don't know much about geocaching. Before using geocaching locations to promote bitcoins we should make sure that the geocaching community will not be anti-bitcoin because they feel we are "hijacking" geocaching for something that has nothing to do with geocaching.
But why not "fork" the geocaching idea by creating new geocaching locations containing bitcoins (Bitcoincaching), so we contribute to geocaching and to bitcoins at the same time. New locations could be re-stocked for prolonged promotion (who would want to pay for the re-stocking?), or a new location could just be advertised to contain some bitcoins for the first one to find the treasure.
You see that I did not do many thoughts on combination of bitcoins and geocaching, your thread just gave me the idea...
ManaUser (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 04:30:26 AM

I did not do it, I just had the idea that we could do it. There is a geocaching location in the forest where I live, some hundred meters away from my home, that's why I had the idea of "hijacking" geocaching for bitcoin promotion. I'm not a geocaching enthusiast myself.

Sorry, obviously I read that too fast. I used to be a geocacher, but kind dropped out when the main website got so commercial. But I really doubt they'd mind, except perhaps if you were trying to promote a specific BTC exchange or something. The main problem I see is that the cool metal bitcoins cost 7 dollars at the moment, which is pretty expensive to give away very many of. Even with free "packaging" (e.g. paper), Bitcoins are hardly cheap, and giving away less than one "coin" might be kind of underwhelming.
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 08:56:48 AM

Good question!

casio

Activity: 15

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 01:43:35 PM

put it inside a truecrypt folder with a nice password you can memorize and pass along before you die.

Send this file to everyone. friends email, family, online locker...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: