Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:59:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: IT Administrator Mining  (Read 15441 times)
irobindotse

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 11:21:22 AM

Just had to reply on this Cheesy, a bit funny.

Not maybe the part of stealing and selling it on ebay, but trying to use the computer resources from work.

I think you are not the only one who had some thoughts if this is possible in any easy way, many people in this forum is working with IT for a living.

Good luck! Cheesy

Regards
Robin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 11:22:25 AM

Does a user on this forum have to defraud another forum user in order to earn the 'scammer' badge?
It'd be nice if mods would stretch to tagging this guy for self-admitted ongoing fraudulent activity.

If he has no qualms about stealing from his employer - he'll likely have no qualms about stealing from other bitcoiners whenever he thinks he can get away with it.

Better yet, I hope the forum admins turn his IP in to the cops of his local area.

Even better if he's posting from work, and the IP leads them straight to it.

We admins are dicks, but not those kind of dicks. Unless its Friday, then here comes the bourbon.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 03:53:17 PM

Hey guys!
I'm an IT administrator for a medium sized manufactoring company.

Currently, I'm achieving around 150 MH/s by CPU Mining on all PCs in the company
Is there a command line GPU Miner available that trys all available methods (cuda, opencl, etc) to mine, then exits if none work?

I just want all (usable) pcs to run at 0 agression and mine with their GPUs for my pockets benefit Smiley

You claim to be the IT admin yet you do not know which machines have a GPU nor, if they do, what kind of GPU they have?

(tl;dr You're incompetent as well as crooked?)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 04:09:37 PM

Does a user on this forum have to defraud another forum user in order to earn the 'scammer' badge?
It'd be nice if mods would stretch to tagging this guy for self-admitted ongoing fraudulent activity.

If he has no qualms about stealing from his employer - he'll likely have no qualms about stealing from other bitcoiners whenever he thinks he can get away with it.

Better yet, I hope the forum admins turn his IP in to the cops of his local area.

We admins are dicks, but not those kind of dicks. Unless its Friday, then here comes the bourbon.
Well, that's too bad.
Valalvax

Activity: 437
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 06:49:28 AM

Hey guys!
I'm an IT administrator for a medium sized manufactoring company.

Currently, I'm achieving around 150 MH/s by CPU Mining on all PCs in the company
Is there a command line GPU Miner available that trys all available methods (cuda, opencl, etc) to mine, then exits if none work?

I just want all (usable) pcs to run at 0 agression and mine with their GPUs for my pockets benefit Smiley

You claim to be the IT admin yet you do not know which machines have a GPU nor, if they do, what kind of GPU they have?

(tl;dr You're incompetent as well as crooked?)

-MarkM-

Probably lazy.... or realizes that if he has to do "emergency tinkering" with every single computer in the complex at the same time as power usage increases, someone will go "hmmm"
MrTiggr

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 09:53:04 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2012, 12:08:29 PM by MrTiggr

DMetcalfe92:

Can i first say that, as a seasoned IT worker i personally find this kind of behaviour and blatant admission of criminal activity to be abhorrent.

I can only hope that karma sees it fit your employer catches wind of this and takes some instant action - in the industry, we call this kind of forum posting a CLM (Career Limiting Move); criminal charges against you by an employer are generally the kind of thing that follows you for the rest of your career.

Ill content with waiting for karma, i began to wonder what D Metcalfe 92 might be a contraction of.... and armed with your self-confessed skills portfolio
(from here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?&topic=61890.msg722090#msg722090 )
we found a little something you might find interesting..

IF your name just happened to be Daniel Metcalfe then this link with a very similar set of skills might worry you:

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/daniel-metcalfe/45/824/a76

Especially because it lists the lovely services of [Weston EU Ltd August 2008 – Present (3 years 8 months)] as this this persons current employer...

http://www.westoneu.net/westoneu.html

Sounds like a lovely family operation - it would be terrible to hear that the Sutton's had gotten wind of an employee behaving like this.

I REALLY hope you werent that silly bro

Someone call the partyvan.

Cheers
MrTiggr
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 10:21:33 AM

DMetcalfe92:

Can i first say that, as a seasoned IT worker i personally find this kind of behaviour and blatant admission of criminal activity to be abhorrent.

I can only hope that karma sees it fit your employer catches wind of this and takes some instant action - in the industry, we call this kind of forum posting a CLM (Career Limiting Move); criminal charges against you by an employer are generally the kind of thing that follows you for the rest of your career.

Ill content with waiting for karma, i began to wonder what D Metcalfe 92 might be a contraction of.... and armed with your self-confessed skills portfolio
(from here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?&topic=61890.msg722090#msg722090 )

IF your name just happened to be Daniel Metcalfe then this link with a very similar set of skills might worry you:

Especially because it lists the lovely services of [Weston EU Ltd August 2008 – Present (3 years 8 months)] as this this persons current employer...

Sounds like a lovely family operation - it would be terrible to hear that the Sutton's had gotten wind of an employer behaving like this.

Cheers
MrTiggr

+1
The LT

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 10:37:05 AM

Cheers
MrTiggr

Sounds too stupid to be true. Roll Eyes
slider1978

Activity: 180

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 02:24:38 PM

DMetcalfe92:

Sounds like a lovely family operation - it would be terrible to hear that the Sutton's had gotten wind of an employee behaving like this.

Cheers
MrTiggr

+1 for this as well
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 04:26:16 PM

He can write an HTML website from scratch in notepad!  Amazing!
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 04:50:15 PM

Gotta suck to be that guy, I'd hate to lose a job I've had for almost 4 years cause I bragged on the internet to some people I don't even know. Wonder if they'll press charges or just let him resign. If they press charges OP, good luck ever getting a good job. Or a job at all with the current unemployment rates.

Good example of why you don't post illegal activities. It's always gonna piss somebody off. Can't say you weren't warned either.

What your doing is flat out morally wrong, it's theft. And regardless of how you justify it, you're going to have to deal with the consequences when you eventually get caught and:
- You are fired from your job
- You are charged criminally
- You are no longer bondable destroying any longterm career prospects

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 09:05:41 PM

I don't have permission, but I can't be caught because I'm the only person smart enough in IT to figure out what's going on!

Then they probably wouldn't notice if you just took a few computers home with you for your "pockets benefit", either...

As a matter of fact, they dont. I've taken 10+ sticks of RAM, a few PSUs, tons of HDDs, printer power supplies, a laptop, a PC
Ebay FTW
You're a thief and you admit it. I want nothing to do with you.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 01:23:11 AM

I don't have permission, but I can't be caught because I'm the only person smart enough in IT to figure out what's going on!

Then they probably wouldn't notice if you just took a few computers home with you for your "pockets benefit", either...

As a matter of fact, they dont. I've taken 10+ sticks of RAM, a few PSUs, tons of HDDs, printer power supplies, a laptop, a PC
Ebay FTW
then you probably should stick to that... more profit than mining....
NO, i am not encouraging anyone to do this.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 01:29:10 AM

+1 and +1

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
phr0stbyt3

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 01:59:47 AM

Wow... Is it just me who finds this offensive? (as a fellow IT Professional for the past 15 years).

Also I wouldn't bet "they can't catch you" if I were you... They could (likely) notice the increased power usage, and when they do they may start investigating (calling the utility company, to find out why, they may send someone to meter it, and so on, eventually figuring out that it's the computers drawing power, at that point you're going to have some explaining to do).

+1 to this. As an IT admin myself this sickens me. I would hope that the mod's on this board who have logged your IP address will use it to find out which company you work for and notify them of this thread. I personally would be willing to come in to that business and gather forensic evidence to have you arrested, and I'd do it pro bono.

+1 My first firing was some smug asshole who didn't check the back of his computer for the keyghost I installed.
...And I quote:
"I could walk out of here with the roof and these idiots wouldn't know it was missing. So seriously, do you want these 35 PSU's or not? I've got more work to pretend to be doing."

Using your company's power and computers for mining is kinda funny, but blatantly admitting to stealing ram and laptops to sell them on eBay? Seriously? If you fuck this up when you're 20 you will not be able to be bonded when you're older and responsible and it will be time for a career change.

Enjoy bagging my groceries.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 03:15:24 AM

CPU mining on someone elses hardware is like ripping out copper pipes from a house.  You steal it to get $100 and cause $10,000 in damage.

luo demin

Activity: 70

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 05:53:43 AM

DMetcalfe92 is in the running for today's Darwin award for sure.
Exonumia

Activity: 189
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 07:46:48 AM

You are CPU mining? That is hardly worth the effort, let alone the risk. If you have no qualms about acting criminally, then why not sell some of those memory sticks and buy a few GPUs? They will be more energy efficient than all those CPUs.

150MH/sec he has to be... rofl. This has to be a troll.

If it is not then OP, take your stolen IT equipment, ebay it, and buy yourself an ATI/AMD graphics card... the electric company/business/pcs your thrashing will thank you Cheesy
Enigma81

Activity: 180

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 08:24:42 AM

Code:
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Your Pink Slip</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
DMetcalfe92, You're Fired.  The Police are waiting for you in the lobby
</BODY>
</HTML>
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 09:03:56 AM

Code:
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Your Pink Slip</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
DMetcalfe92, You're Fired.  The Police are waiting for you in the lobby
</BODY>
</HTML>

Forgot your <h1> there.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print