Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:36:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: IT Administrator Mining  (Read 15441 times)
phr0stbyt3

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 07:55:29 PM

And you forget he stole hardware and sold it on ebay.
This is the most bad point about this situation. If he only mined coins on the system this wouldn't be that bad at all.

It's still stealing company resources.
He might get off with a reprimand if it's only bitcoin mining. Stealing escalates this whole matter.

Yes, electricity that gets written off on taxes as a business expense is one thing. The "I've taken 10+ ram sticks, LAPTOPS and sold them on eBay" thing was what got my idiot meter going.

Daniel if you're still reading this thread I hope that everything works out for you for the better and that you seriously learn a lesson.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 04:25:49 AM

What the fuck. How did I know about this thread?

-_-

Ahh...it's in "Mining". Carry on.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 05:01:46 AM

What the fuck. How did I know about this thread?

-_-

Ahh...it's in "Mining". Carry on.
April Issue... new topic has presented itself.  :p
kibblesnbits

Activity: 557

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 12:14:42 AM

metcalfing (verb):

1. To disclose illegal or immoral activities while unwittingly giving clues to the individual's true identity.

My buddy got caught metcalfing on a dating site by his wife.

ASICMINERTUBE

The Best $/Gh Bitcoin Miner So Far
   ►►►   DISCOVER NOW !!!   ◄◄◄
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 12:17:16 AM

metcalfing (verb):

1. To disclose illegal or immoral activities while unwittingly giving clues to the individual's true identity.

Hahahaha, awesome

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 12:36:16 AM

metcalfing (verb):

+1... off to urban dictionary we go...
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 12:39:57 AM

metcalfing (verb):

Indirectly advertising Bitcoin on urban dictionary?  Excellent.  Smiley
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 02:33:28 AM

He could mine that kind of speed up $100 with a very low end card.

But considering how dishonest this goofball is, I would not expect him to be a savvy enough administrator to be able to fine tune cards that way.
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 02:41:08 AM

He should use servers and a bigger cluster.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/secret-money-abc-virtual-currency-racket-probe-20110623-1ggp6.html

(maybe dated and misguided)
localhost

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 12:59:10 PM

metcalfing (verb):

Seriously, this already exists... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=metcalfe  Shocked
Hilarious thread, otherwise...

-
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 02:55:38 AM

DMetcalfe92:

Can i first say that, as a seasoned IT worker i personally find this kind of behaviour and blatant admission of criminal activity to be abhorrent.

I can only hope that karma sees it fit your employer catches wind of this and takes some instant action - in the industry, we call this kind of forum posting a CLM (Career Limiting Move); criminal charges against you by an employer are generally the kind of thing that follows you for the rest of your career.

Ill content with waiting for karma, i began to wonder what D Metcalfe 92 might be a contraction of.... and armed with your self-confessed skills portfolio
(from here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?&topic=61890.msg722090#msg722090 )
we found a little something you might find interesting..

IF your name just happened to be Daniel Metcalfe then this link with a very similar set of skills might worry you:

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/daniel-metcalfe/45/824/a76

Especially because it lists the lovely services of [Weston EU Ltd August 2008 – Present (3 years 8 months)] as this this persons current employer...

http://www.westoneu.net/westoneu.html

Sounds like a lovely family operation - it would be terrible to hear that the Sutton's had gotten wind of an employee behaving like this.

I REALLY hope you werent that silly bro

Someone call the partyvan.

Cheers
MrTiggr

+1

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:40:00 PM

Ok I think this has gone overboard.  I'm willing to bet that everyone in this thread has "stolen" company resources.  Ever gone to the bathroom outside your allotted break?  That's theft of time.  Used a company phone to make a personal phone call?  Theft of time.  Talk to your coworkers about the NCAA tournament? Read Facebook at work when it's not your job to do so?  Used a sticky note to jot down something that you forgot about to do at home?

etc, etc.

My 7970 (at home) costs me $0.64 cents per day to mine.   The shit I just took at work 10 minutes ago?  $2.08 of company time.

Listen, I get that you don't want bitcoin to get a bad name, and these actions would darken bitcoin's image.  But seriously, I would have just ignored the kid, not get him fired.  That's wrong, IMO.
JL421

Activity: 812
Merit: 510

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:52:46 PM

It's more the theft and ebaying of company property that I believe most people had an issue with.
Snapman

Activity: 291

BTCRadio Owner

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 06:58:15 PM

Well will you look at that, seems OP removed all his messages from the thread. Busted much?

BTCRadio: 17cafKShokyQCbaNuzaDo5HLoSnffMNPAs
pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 07:06:59 PM

Ok I think this has gone overboard.  I'm willing to bet that everyone in this thread has "stolen" company resources.  Ever gone to the bathroom outside your allotted break?  That's theft of time.  Used a company phone to make a personal phone call?  Theft of time.  Talk to your coworkers about the NCAA tournament? Read Facebook at work when it's not your job to do so?  Used a sticky note to jot down something that you forgot about to do at home?

etc, etc.

My 7970 (at home) costs me $0.64 cents per day to mine.   The shit I just took at work 10 minutes ago?  $2.08 of company time.

Listen, I get that you don't want bitcoin to get a bad name, and these actions would darken bitcoin's image.  But seriously, I would have just ignored the kid, not get him fired.  That's wrong, IMO.
Well, bathroom is obvious, I just can't hold it 8 hours.
The rest, if the boss don't allow this small things the morale would get lower and actually less work will be done.
The use of cpu's for mining for bitcoin doesn't do a thing with morale and just steal electricity.

/edit, not sure if morale is the correct word for this (primary language is not english)
Maybe working atmosphere is a better one.
tonto

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 07:31:15 PM

Well, bathroom is obvious, I just can't hold it 8 hours.
The rest, if the boss don't allow this small things the morale would get lower and actually less work will be done.
The use of cpu's for mining for bitcoin doesn't do a thing with morale and just steal electricity.

/edit, not sure if morale is the correct word for this (primary language is not english)
Maybe working atmosphere is a better one.

You don't have to hold it 8 hours.  Just max of 2 hours (or maybe 4 depending on your labor rules of your country) until your permitted break.  I've worked production lines before, you hold it, but never had I had to hold it for 8 hours in any job.   And no, if you're not worried about those other activities, you will get a lot of work done during your work day.  You'd be surprised what you can get done if you're not being distracted.
pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 07:35:45 PM

But sometimes I just need the distraction.
I'm a computer programmer, and when I'm thinking to long for something and it's just not working I don't get anything furter.
The I read one or two news articles or some new posts on this forum, then go back to work and suddenly just see the problem I was having.
Perhaps it's not that way for everybody, but for me it is better that way.

Ofcourse hours and hours checking facebook and funny cat sites is bad Tongue
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 07:55:56 PM

Ok I think this has gone overboard.  I'm willing to bet that everyone in this thread has "stolen" company resources.  Ever gone to the bathroom outside your allotted break?  That's theft of time.  Used a company phone to make a personal phone call?  Theft of time.  Talk to your coworkers about the NCAA tournament? Read Facebook at work when it's not your job to do so?  Used a sticky note to jot down something that you forgot about to do at home?

etc, etc.

My 7970 (at home) costs me $0.64 cents per day to mine.   The shit I just took at work 10 minutes ago?  $2.08 of company time.

Listen, I get that you don't want bitcoin to get a bad name, and these actions would darken bitcoin's image.  But seriously, I would have just ignored the kid, not get him fired.  That's wrong, IMO.
So, you're equating bathroom breaks with $500/month of electricity and stolen computer systems being sold on eBay?  Really?  REALLY?

I mean, I think it's an interesting thing to think about (I even analyzed the company I work for a few years ago and estimated they paid $17k/month for people to use the bathroom), but I wouldn't at all equate unintentional labor hours lost with intentional misuse of company resources and/or actual theft of physical resources.
tonto

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 08:34:32 PM

So, you're equating bathroom breaks with $500/month of electricity and stolen computer systems being sold on eBay?  Really?  REALLY?

I mean, I think it's an interesting thing to think about (I even analyzed the company I work for a few years ago and estimated they paid $17k/month for people to use the bathroom), but I wouldn't at all equate unintentional labor hours lost with intentional misuse of company resources and/or actual theft of physical resources.

My point was, don't be a dick when you yourselves do similar (albeit perhaps less cost) things.  And yes, I *would* equate bathroom breaks that aren't during your allotted break time as theft.  Something I hear sometimes is "it's the principle" of the thing.  Well so is doing activities during work time *THAT AREN'T WORK*. 

I think some of them are just jealous that they can't mine "for free" and so get pissed at others who do.  Why is it sweat off your sack if that kid did it?  He eventually probably would have got caught, but other than bilking his boss, what did it do to the collective members of this forum?

And yes, I do take bathroom breaks outside my breaks.  I do make personal phone calls, etc, etc.  But yes, they are all equal, IMO.  It's time/money that your employer is paying you for that you're not doing.
TheSeven

Activity: 504

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 08:43:50 PM

Some kinds of "time theft" or whatever are just officially allowed by your employer, for good reasons.
Other things aren't, however, and you just shouldn't do those.

Things like using the bathroom or jotting down personal notes surely belong to the first category, if done within reason.
Using company resources for CPU mining (which isn't even profitable as a whole), or outright stealing inventory, certainly belongs to the latter category.

My tip jar: 13kwqR7B4WcSAJCYJH1eXQcxG5vVUwKAqY
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: